Journal An Emergent History of Curses and Their Bearers

Private roleplay dedicated to character's personal journal entries.

Selene

Lady of Dusk
Character Biography
Link
Here on a long forgotten shelf rests a thin book, just wide enough to have the chrysanthemum seal of the Knights of Anathaeum emblazoned on its spine. The book looks to be clad in blue leather, and someone, long ago, has pricked the outline of various constellations upon its cover in a fading, inky hand. Underneath the book's dyed leather cover, the title page reads:

An Emergent History of Curses and Their Bearers

Penned by
Selene of Prathil
in the year of the Red Ox

Chapter 1
Regarding the author’s own curse

It is the purpose of this book to provide a working outline of curse-bearers and the impact they have upon the land and others. Though the many causes of curses are separate and unique, I believe a broader framework exists, a lense that can be used to view these peculiar magics and contracts we call curses in a common light.

Many will find it difficult to believe the findings herein unless they satisfy their curiosities first about mine own affliction, and so perhaps glean some motivation for setting upon this work. You see, I have a terrible curse seeded in my heart, and corruption causes it to bloom. Not a desirable trait for a Knight meant to ward against darkness. Thus, though the topic pains me, I will divulge all that I know.

The curse that burdens me stems from a bargain with a spirit, of a nature that could only be gotten here in the Vale. It is tied to the corruption of this land. Unlike some of the other Curses detailed here, this one lends me no special boon nor secretive power. In fact, I possess less mana than my peers, and tire easily. Some part of my stamina must always be dedicated to keeping the curse in check lest it overcome me. I distance myself from others and avoid those mindlinks familiar to the Loch, for the deep waters disturb my vigil. Creatures of the light shy away from me, I have trouble with the hounds and steeds in the stables. Often, I must be accompanied by a Wylder knight when riding out simply to keep the beasts from frothing into a panic. There are many other little inconveniences that crop up as well, too tiresome to detail out here.

These are of course merely surface level symptoms, and the experts among you must be frustrated by now with my answer. Very well, let us instead begin with the three major parts of a curse. The first is the creation event, where the curse is laid upon the victim. The second is the rule, by which the victim must live. The third is the cure, often discussed but rarely discovered.

I will go over the creation of my curse in a later chapter. First let us establish the rule.

I have in my hands a basin, full to the brim with poison. I must carry it without spilling, or I will scar the land wherever that poison drops. In the day-to-day of a mere human, it is impossible not to spill a full cup. An enemy that cannot be overcome, a mistake made in ignorance, even an unpleasant conversation can turn deadly while bearing such a burden. So, what does one do to avoid such tragedies?

I choose to drink the poison. This may kill me someday, but it will not kill anyone else. Such is the rule that I live by.

Naturally, my insights into curses have come about because of my research into a cure. Long have I studied other afflictions and their bearers, making note of successes, and shortcomings. Of the northern clans of lycanthropes, of the warlocks who make pacts with their patrons, of the vampires in their opulent burrows. I have been to the shores of the Blood Lake in Western Eretejva, seen the smoking ruins of Elbion, traced the leylines to their natural ends, and yes, discovered much of the rot that infests the roots of my own home. As I come to collect the lastest of my findings, I realize that nothing here will help me. The duration of my life cannot be lengthened, except by certain precautions which I am unwilling to take.

Still, I will write it all down. It is my hope, dear reader, that you will accept such a selfish motivation for collecting the histories herein. Perhaps my fumblings will be useful to someone else, sometime later.