Fable - Ask Among Strangers

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
He shook his head. "It is not possible."

Eldrin wished that it was. Wished that he could uproot his people and take them to the South. He knew that his kin in the Falwood would welcome them, but it would not work.

Aside from pride, there was something else keeping them here.

"My people have more ties to this place than I can explain. There is a bond." The Heart Trees they were called. Massive oaks that stood throughout this forest, and scattered through the land all around them. Some were even in the city itself, though Aguilar had cut many of them down. "If I lead them away they would whither and die."

The Elf shrugged his shoulders, as if fate had already been dealt. "Perhaps I will."

He certainly hoped he would.

As night fell a single rider left the city gates. Not dressed as a Knight. Not carrying the standard of Aguilar, but just a man. A mean going to save the woman that had perhaps already saved him.

• Bless
Reactions: Rosaline
She finally gestured towards Eldrin's hands, a curious expression on her face. "A friend of mine has markings just like those..."

"What are they?" She asked, arching a brow.

She couldn't tell if they were the same inscriptions exactly, but the similarity was enough to stoke her curiosity.

• Smug
Reactions: Eldrin
He blinked for a second, clearly surprised at what she said. His eyebrow perked for a moment, trying to read her expression. "They are called Vir."

Eldrin clearly seemed suspicious of something.

"They are an ancient rite. Held by my people for generations." Slowly the Elf reached up his hand, showing the markings more clearly. They were of the same style as those that marked Nil, not exactly the same, as though the Knights were a copy. "The Tattoos are created with the sap of the Heart tree, and allow for a warrior to be greater than his whole."

Rosaline had seen that fact for herself. Nil had shown what he could do with his markings, what power they brought. "Who is this friend?"

Eldrin asked.

• Nervous
She leaned forward to more intently inspect the markings that were etched into Eldrin's flesh. While Nil was ashamed and loathed his own, it seemed that Eldrin's were deeply ingrained in his culture.

Her lips pursed slightly at the question, trying to think of the best response she could muster.

"His name is Nil. He's taken good care of me during my time here. Though... His are different in a way, like someone was trying to replicate the method."

There was a pause before she added. "He didn't put them on himself... For clarification. It's a sore subject for him..."

"That is..." There was a flurry of words that echoed through his skull. It was clear that Eldrin was near filled with rage at the mere thought of what she had mentioned. There was a slight quiver in his hands, his eyes seemed a bit more focused.

Everything about him spoke of a man who was about to explode.

Yet he didn't. He was not Aguilar. He was a man of violence, of death and chaotic morals, but what Rosaline spoke of was not her fault. Nor was it the fault of this 'Nil' if what she said was true. "Troubling."

He finished at last.

"The Vir is sacred." The Elf told her, his voice stern.

"It is meant for those that have earned it, and those who have passed the trials." He frowned. "And even then only half of a half survive it's introduction."

There was a reason not every elf in the camp had the markings.

• Nervous
She frowned at Eldrin's reaction, instinctively shying away from him. Rosaline made herself smaller and dropped her gaze, clearly not trying to upset him further than her words already had.

Her experience with Aguilar clear.

"I did not mean to anger you... I was just curious. I'm sorry." She mumbled quietly, clasping her bound hands together tightly in her lap.

"Perhaps... It would be best for me to get some rest."

• Sip
Reactions: Eldrin
His head shook.

"The fault does not lie with you." How could it? She didn't even know what the markings were, much less the meaning behind them.

In a strange way, he was glad that she had told him.

He'd never thought that someone would try to copy the Vir, though he supposed that it made sense in a way. His lips thinned, and he shook his head slowly. "No doubt it was Aguilar's doing."

Those who claimed to hate were often jealous, and he could only see this as the ultimate jealousy. As far as Eldrin knew no man had ever before bore the Vir, and the thought that it was one of Aguilar's men disturbed the Elf a great deal.

He closed his eyes for a moment, wondering what he should do.

"Yes." Eldrin said quietly. "Perhaps that would be for the best."

• Sip
Rosaline nodded and quietly stood up, making her way over to one of the bedrooms in the back of the building to lay down. She had no way of knowing that Nil was already charging across the countryside to reach the forest.

As her eyes drifted shut, she tried to thank about anything other than the darkness that loomed in the future.

The sound of Nil's laughter came to mind, the smile on his face as they danced together in the middle of the crowd.

She hoped there would be another opportunity for them to dance again.

• Stressed
Reactions: Nil
Nil pushed Pips as hard as he could.

The horse was one of the best in the city, perhaps one of the best in the world. He'd always had a good eye for horses, always had a good sense of which beast would be best. It was a talent that many praised, that more than a few had complemented.

He'd never though much of it. Never thought it mattered much.

Now thought? Now it seemed the most precious gift in the world. Pips practically stampeded through the forest, rushing through the ancient dirt path at a pace that seemed impossible.

The Knight hung over the horses neck, the two moving through the wind like it was nothing.

He had to get there first.

• Cthuloo
It was late when Rosaline was awakened from her sleep. A young man was shaking her shoulder with a worried expression on his face. There was a bow and a quiver strapped to his back.

I'm her sleep-addled state it took her a moment to realize he was a young soldier and not a boy.

She sat up in the bed, pulling the blanket up into her lap.

"What is it? Is something wrong?" She asked blearily.

"There's a rider from Maricielo thundering this way. Eldrin wants you at the gate." He explained patiently, helping the woman out of bed.

She was given a pair of elvish trousers and a match tunic to wear, something far more sensible that the overly tight gown Aguilar forced her into. Once she was dressed and ready, the elf grasped the rope around her wrists and led her off to the gate to find Eldrin.

• Sip
He knew they were watching.

Knew that they were in the trees. Hed spotted the first one holding a now, his camouflage had been good, almost perfect. The only thing that had given him away was a sparrow, the bird having gotten a bit too close.

They were careful, but for whatever reason they didn't try to stop him as he traveled down the road.

Perhaps it was the fact that he was going to them. That he wasnt trying to run. Even if he was a scout there was no harm in letting him get deeper into their territory. No harm in letting him get close.

Pips pulled to a stop as he spotted the cart that had carried Rosaline away, three buildings...and then a clutch of people. Red eyes flickered over them, searching, and then spotting that rasp of pink hair. A smile touched his features, and then he slowly trotted Pips first. "Give me Rosaline, and no blood has to be shed."

She would notice he did not call her his Queen. Her majesty.

He used her name.

Eldrin looked at the young Knight, his strange blue eyes flickering to Rosaline, and then towards Nil.

• Bless
Her heart leaped inside her chest when she recognized the rider and she took an instinctive step towards him. The last time she'd seen Nil, he'd been fighting in the alley trying to get to her.

He looked exhausted. Whatever had happened since she'd been taken, it was clear that Nil had been recovering and then took flight to get here as quickly as possible.

Something horrible must have happened for him to come alone in the middle of the night.

She frowned a moment and then looked to Eldrin. "Aguilar must be on his way here..."

Her gaze returned to Nil. All she wanted to do was run to him, but the soldier kept a firm grip on her arm to hold her in place.

"Eldrin, please... Let me go. You've gotten what you wanted. He's not here to fight." Rosaline pleaded with the Elf.

• Sip
The Elf wasn't looking at Nil, not really. His eyes were flickering over his hands, the bare part of his neck. The fingers on his hands tightened for a moment, and he took half a step forward. "The markings."

He called out.

As soon as Eldrin spoke of them Nil tensed up, his fingers holding onto the reins of his horse. One hand slowly slipped down, half reaching towards his sword. He took a deep breath, glancing over towards Rosaline. "My father. He put them on me as a child."

The Elf nodded, lips thinning. It was clear to him that Nil did not know much about what he carried.

"Your father's name?" He asked.

"I don't know." Nil answered honestly once more. "I don't remember. It's a blur."

He could remember a haze, half a face. He couldn't recall bear anything else. "Let Rosaline go."

Nil repeated.

Eldrin tensed for a moment, looking back at the Queen for a moment.

"Aguilar is coming?" He asked, Nil nodding. "You ride west. Not east towards the city, nor north nor south. West. Far away from here. If I see you turn..."

The threat was left unspoken, but Nil nodded. "West."

He agreed with a hopeful look to Rosaline.

• Smug
Profound relief washed over Rosaline as Nil agreed to ride west, away from the city. Eldrin was going to let her go.

The soldier released his hold on her arm and cut the bindings with a small knife. Before Eldrin could change his mind, Rosaline rushed forward towards Nil and Pops.

Standing behind them, watching from the shadows, she could make out Bone-Face's silhouette. He must have been looking over Nil in her absence, she realized.

Once she was safely by the horse's side, she turned back to Eldrin and offered him a nod. "Thank you... And good luck."

Eldrin waved a hand, perhaps in dismissal, though more likely in a solemn goodbye.

The chances of them succeeding were slim to none. Every person in the crowd knew this, every single one of them. Most wore solemn expressions, some anger, though the air was filled with tension. Their plan had worked, now they just had to see how it would follow through.

"Come on." Nil said softly as he offered Rosaline a hand.

There was an Urgency within the young Knight.

He did not want the Elf to change his mind, but even more than that he did not want Aguilar to gain any ground. He was still coming, and with him was an army. Pips was already nearly ragged, and they could only go do fast.

They needed to go.

• Bless
Rosaline took Nil's hand, letting him help her up into the saddle behind him. She wrapped her arms around his waist, pressing her cheek against his shoulder.

Without his armor on, she could feel his warmth as she held onto him.

She knew that Pips must have been exhausted, the stallion was already breathing heavily. They would only be able to get so far.

"Let's go." She said quietly in Nil's ear, tightening her hold on his waist a bit more.

Just having him with her, she already felt as though everything was going to be okay.

• Bless
Nil offered one last glance towards the Elf, lips thinning for a brief moment as his fingers tightened around the reins and he pulled Pips onto the Western path.

It lead deeper into the woods.

He had no idea what lay beyond, if it was more elves or something else. In the end it didn't really matter, all that mattered what that he had Rosaline, and for now at the very least she would be safe. As long as they got away.

A breath filled him, and then Pips kicked off.

Somehow the horse still had energy left, and he moved swift with the two of them upon his back.

Nil didn't know where they were going, where they would be safe. Perhaps another Free City, perhaps Vel Anir or beyond. All they needed to do was get away from Aguilar, from his reach. If they could do that?

Then the next step would be easy.

• Ctuhlu senpai
She clung to the Knight as they raced through the dark forest, squeezing her eyes shut. Rosaline did her best to focus on the sound of Nil's breathing and the thunder of Pips' hooves against the soft earth.

It seemed like hours passed before Rosaline had mustered the courage to speak again.

She lifted her head from Nil's shoulder, leaning close to his ear so she didn't have to shout over the wind.

"I knew you'd come." She told him with a shy smile.

"I'm glad it was you."

• Popcorn
"Of course I cam." He told her as they rode, his head lowering so that she could better speak to him.

Cortos was always warm. The weather and climate were kind, almost a paradise, yet for some reason this night it felt even better. They rode together into the wind, the trees around them towering and raising to the sky as they continued onward.

Nil looked down at her. "Did they hurt you?"

The Young Knight asked, his gaze flickering every few seconds around them, checking if they were being followed. If someone was laying in wait.

He wouldn't have this moment pulled from them.

• Bless
She shook her head, her cheek brushing against her shoulder as she did so. Her arms tightened around his waist, hugging the Knight closely.

"No... I'm alright. He was using me to start a war with Aguilar..." She answered him honestly.

"What happened?" She asked softly, hesitant to know the truth.

"I've a feeling the King didn't send you here."

• Popcorn
"No" Nil confirmed with a soft smile, his attention still flickering to the trees around them.

Paranoia clung to him, and there was good reason for that.

He had disobeyed everything he'd ever known, had forsaken his oaths and done the impossible; saved her. Perhaps they would be pursued, perhaps they would be chased to the end of the earth. Yet at the end of the day Nil would know he'd done the right thing.

That was what mattered most. "He wanted you dead..."

Nil said quietly.

"Ordered us to kill you if they hadn't already." Lips thinned. "He wanted to start a war."

• Cthuloo
For several minutes, Rosaline was quiet while they rode, letting the reality of his words sink in. Either way, the elves and humans were going to go for each other's throats. Rosaline had been caught in the middle of it.

She frowned slightly.

Aguilar must have known the elves were planning something at the festival. Had he intended for them to kill her outright?

It didn't matter at the end of the day. Eldrin and Aguilar both got what they wanted -- open conflict between their people.

She was lucky to have survived.

After Nil finished the explanation, she leaned forward just enough to press a small kiss to his cheek. He'd forsaken everything just to save her. She couldn't even begin to put into words what that meant to her.

"Nil... Thank you."

• Bless
His cheeks colored for a moment as she pressed her lips against his cheek. A small smile touched his face, gaze shifting to her for just a brief moment. "Always."

Nil told her softly.

There had been a question. Just a brief moment where he'd searched his soul. It had felt like an eternity in that moment, an endless abyss that he'd stared into for some sort of answer.

In the end there had only been one. Letting Rosaline die was never an option. Killing her himself as Aguilar had wanted? He would sooner have ripped out his own throat with his bare hands.

He looked at her for a moment, smiling, cheeks still flush.

"We need to find a place to rest soon." Nil called. "Pips can only run for so long."

The poor stallion had already been pushed to the very edge.

• Bless
"We should stop and let him rest. That outpost is far behind us now." She called over the wind.

It felt as though they'd been riding for hours. But through the thick trees, she couldn't get a sense of what time it was.

She doubted that Aguilar's men would chase them down so quickly. They had a head start and the King wanted a fight, not his queen.

"We should be okay for a few hours."

• Sip
Nil glanced around them for a few seconds, watching the trees one last time before slowly offering Rosaline a nod.

They couldn't risk running Pips ragged. The Horse would have to carry them far, and she was right. Aguilar and the elves would be occupied with one another for a day at least, then they would have to sort through the bodies and...

He vanquished the thought, deciding it would do him no good now.

With a gentle yank of his reins he pulled Pips off the trail and a bit into the woods. The tall trees were easy enough to navigate through, and eventually he found a hollow that would be large enough to give them shelter if it stormed. "This will do."

He told Rosaline softly as he slipped from the saddle and offered her a hand.

"I brought some supplies." Sleeping mats, some food, fire starters. Enough to last them a day or two. They would have to buy more when they could.

He'd brought nearly his entirely life's savings as well. A paltry amount to what Rosaline was likely used to, but a small fortune for any peasant.

• Ctuhlu senpai