Private Tales All Work and No Play

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zathria At'Arel

Drow Commander
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php
Zathria marched through the halls of the palace on her way to find the new queen. Nothing about Vyx'aria being queen had quite set in yet, and if it was still a shock for Zathria, then she could only imagine what Vyx'aria was thinking. She knew her old friend had always wanted to ascend in power, but no one had quite expected it to be like this.

The weapon master came to a stop outside the door to what she had been told was Vyx'aria's new "office." She could only anticipate how uncomfortable the general was here. There were a pair of soldiers - faces she recognized from the company - standing guard outside the door. She gave a nod to both of them and received one in return. She knew that both of them were loyal and of the utmost skill. She had trained them both personally. Zathria couldn't help but wonder if they had insisted on being there despite Vyx'aria's objection. She wasn't the type of woman that needed guarding or babysitting.

That was exactly why Zathria was here. She was going to "save" her friend from the responsibility that now hung over Vyx'aria's head.

She knocked on the door and waited a moment to be told to enter before coming inside. She pushed the door open - excessively large and betraying the gaudy lifestyle of the former queen - and closed it behind her.

You're going to have to do something about that door, she said. Although she acted with the utmost professionalism in public, Zathria was more relaxed in the privacy of an empty room. Such was Zathria's way. She knew where she stood and she respected those who earned it. Vyx'aria had earned it long ago.

Vyx had been inside her new chambers, her fingers tracing along an expensive painting that was no doubt from somewhere in the surface. She had heard Zathria come in, but she didn’t look away from the painting just yet. It had a solid gold frame, and the sides were dotted with emeralds and rubies.

“I’m not cut out for any of this, Zath,” She said with a sigh. It was rare for others to see her like this, but Zathria had been an old friend. ‘Friend’ was a strange word in drow society as trust was a fickle thing. It had been an abrupt ascension, and the weight of the reality of their people hung heavily on her shoulders.

Vyx finally stepped away from the painting - it was a meaningless one that had a field of cows and rivers and mountains. It was clear that the previous Queen had wished for a life beyond the Underrealm, and such a trivial painting was a depiction of forbidden desires.

“Did you come here to give me a lecture?” She asked with a faint grin.

Zathria could tell that Vyx's mind was far away right now, pondering where she had ended up and probably the actions of her predecessor. May she rot in the afterlife for what she had done to their people.

Of course I'm going to lecture you, she said, though it was clear she wasn't serious. She had a tendency to be like that sometimes, though. She had a tendency to impart her wisdom whether people wanted it or not. In the case of her students and soldiers, they didn't have a choice, but sometimes the habits died hard even with those who weren't under her command.

But what I'm really here to do is rescue you from... she paused and looked around the room. She spotted the painting and the images of the overworld. She couldn't help but think how bright it looked just from the painting. The sun in the sky brought back memories of its scalding gaze on her when she'd made trips above.

...whatever this place is, she said with a quirked eyebrow. She couldn't even imagine being a queen, which brought the next question to mind.

But before I steal you away to cause trouble, how is it to be queen? Everything it's chalked up to be? she couldn't help but sate her curiosity, though she wouldn't make Vyx dwell on it for very long. That wasn't the point of why she was here, after all.

“I don’t know what I was expecting,” Vyx said as she thought about what it meant to be Queen, “Truthfully I haven’t had the chance to process it. In my mind I’m still a military commander and nothing more.”

What did Queen mean anyway? The Drow were a fractured people, and she simply inherited the previous Queen’s debts. Vyx picked up a very expensive looking goblet and viewed it from all angles. It was dotted with various gems and diamonds, and the entire thing was pointless to her. Yet she knew the previous Queen thought of this as a grand treasure.

“I want to do something different,” Vyx set the goblet down and gazed up at Zathria, “I don’t want to keep pleading Maelzafen to answer us. I want to do things where she takes note and comes to us herself.”

The words were a bit uncharacteristic from her, but then again who was she now? Did her personality shift now that she was a Queen? Vyx quirked an eyebrow at the other Drow.

“If I’m Queen, what fancy title should I bestow upon you?”

Zathria watched as Vyx'aria examined the cup. She could tell that the "office" of Queen was already affecting her, and that was why Zathria was here to whisk her away.

Still, Zathria couldn't help but wonder whether the goddess was even around anymore. Perhaps she had died in a war with some other god. Perhaps they'd never hear from her again, and that meant that the Drow needed to plan to make their own way from here on out.

I'm at your service regardless of title... what is it "your grace" now? Is that what I'm supposed to call you? she asked, mostly as a joke.

Although, if you wanted to make me something fancy like "Supreme Commander of Drow Forces" I certainly wouldn't turn it down, she said, suppressing a smile.

A moment later she flicked her head back toward the door.

Come on. Grab your swords. Like I said, I'm here to rescue you and get into some trouble like the old days, she said. Even if they weren't junior officers anymore, the two were more than capable of sneaking off into the roads of the underrealm and cause trouble. That was just what she intended to do now.