Private Tales A Study of the World

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She followed him the entire way. His strokes were erratic but fast. She just had to make sure he didn't drown. Sloshing out of the warm, salty waters, she was ankle deep when he collapsed.

"Trolls' balls," she groaned and sloshed the rest of the way out. A wary glance around. She'd heard what he'd said. They were between Summer and Winter courts. The closest portal stone within the borders of Winter. If they even made it out of the Bayou.

She scooped up Arius with a grunt, flinging him over one shoulder. He was light and she was strong. Head swiveling left and right, she headed toward the line of the woods. They needed to get out of the open. She didn't like the feeling of other eyes watching them.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Arius Flint
Arius did not wake up for some time.

He lay slung across Beckett's shoulder, his body twitching every now and again. A slow rise and fall showing that he was clearly still breathing. Some part of him was probably still aware of what was going on, but he was simply too tired to do anything.

Even if he had woken up, he likely would have continued to sleep.

"No no. The trihodronen goes with the basilisk venom." He would mutter every now and again in his sleep. Nonsense words.

"Never!" He insisted at one point. "Never eat a griffins liver."

Though he never explained why.

• Haha
Reactions: Beckett
By the time Arius awoke, he'd find himself in a small clearing, nestled between two towering oak trees. There was a circle of cleared space around him. Some wood gathered for a fire that was never lit. The ground scuffed up but it was hard to tell whether it was from more than one pair of boot prints.

The morning sun was out.

Insects were buzzing. There were a few clouds in the sky. But Beckett was nowhere to be found.

• Thoughtful
Arius head snapped up. "WHERE'S THE DRAGON CLAW DUST?!"

He demanded to no one in particular, his chest rising, eyes wide as could be. For a brief few seconds he had absolutely no idea where he was, head swiveling left and right, searching, and then suddenly a swipe of calm settling on his shoulders.

"Right." He said, ruffling his wrinkled clothes that still had a touch of dampness. "The raft."

The Alchemist surmised, nodding his head as though righting some memories in his mind that had been set off-kilt.

A frown touched his face a moment later as he pushed himself up from the ground. "Beckett?"

He called out into the lonely woods.

• Popcorn
The lonely woods stared back but offered no answer. Save for a set of bootprints that wandered to the Northeast. If he followed them, he'd find himself further from the shore. The path would wind around marsh areas and banyon trees. Through tall grasses and patches of sand.

But along the way, he'd notice patches of decay and rot.

Spots where it looked as though a sickness or something else was spreading along the land.

And it was killing the vegetation. The spots would grow if he followed those steps, leading to an abandoned well in a small clearing.

• Popcorn
Arius did not touch anything. If there was one lesson an alchemist learned early on it was not to touch strangely festering and shifting things. That was like asking for death, especially on a foreign land where he had never been before.

He had heard rumors about the bayou of course.

Strange insular villages with even stranger customs. Odd spells and rituals, witches who could predict the future with the turn of a card. Some thought it foolish stories, but Arius knew better.

There was deep magic everywhere in the world. He had seen it. "Ah, curious."

The Alchemist said as he happened upon the well.

"Usually a well means a village." Arius said, talking to himself mostly so that he didn't feel lonely. "They don't build themselves."

He said, tapping his chin in curiosity.

• Popcorn
"Spppppt," a voice would sound from the woods around the clearing. And then a familiar face would pop-out. "Arius," a harsh whisper as Beckett stepped out. Keeping a careful eye on the ring of rot around the well that expanded outward.

She avoided the black, sinking spots on the ground, moving with a nimble-swiftness.

"Have you ever seen anything like this before?" A wary look over her shoulder. This place was giving her a VERY BAD feeling. And her ears kept picking up on sounds. And it was clear this was no ordinary well. The question is, was it always like this? Or had something or someone done this?

• Thoughtful
"Ah, there you are." Arius said almost absent of mind, as if he had been expecting her to suddenly appear out of nowhere.

His attention, however, was clearly almost entirely on the very subject of Beckett's question.

There was a singular focus to the way he was looking at the well, though more distinctly at the lines and crags within it. Through those he could see something, an odd sort of substance that almost seemed to ooze and edge into the very earth around it. "No. Yes."

He corrected himself, dragging his eyes away from the well. Quickly he stepped away, moving to one of the decayed plants within the clearing.

Plucking it from the ground the small stub of life nearly crumbled, though through careful touch the Alchemist kept it in tact.

"I have seen something similar." Arius said. "A plague the locals called it but...I was unable to determine the origin."

He frowned. "Not enough time before..."

Arius trailed off.

• Popcorn
"Don't touch it," she spoke hurredly and lunged forward to thwack at his hand in order to get him to drop it or fling it from his grasp. There was very real panic in her voice. She'd heard what happened to the groves recently. A plague upon the land and plants around the Dusk Court with Asemir and Eske.

"Where have you seen it before?" The area around them remained oddly quiet. Devoid of the normal buzzing of insects. But there was a crackle in the underbrush that made her head whip toward it.

• Sip
Arius jerked his hand away from her slap, moving it so swiftly that one had to question if he did not touch the supernatural.

"I have to study it." He remarked rather bluntly, the usual jovial tune suddenly replaced with something far more interesting. "Don't worry yourself."

The Alchemist went on. "My skin is quite...resistant."

After an experiment back at Althhaven Arius had developed a rather unique epidermus. Not ordinary skin, but something that was far more resistant to toxins, poisons, fire, cold, and pretty much everything else. The drawback? His sense of touch was extremely dulled.

The Professors hadn't allowed him to continue experiment on himself, but he was sure that with a bit of refinement he would get his sense of touch back.

Probably.

"The spine." He remarked to Beckett. "Or thereabouts."

• Thoughtful
A surprised look at his speed. And admittance about his skin. "So, would you say you are no ordinary human?" Curiosity and Beckett went hand-in-hand. The decaying problem nearly forgotten. Focus of her bi-colored eyes now on the Alchemist.

Didn't he need to go to Amol-Kalit to study something?

"C'mon, I don't think we should stick around here for long." She'd tip her head toward a path in the brush, leading away from the well. Further into the swamps. And toward the portal stone she knew was around.

"Not enough time before what?" head canted to the side as she waited for Arius to finish his earlier sentence.

• Popcorn
Arius frowned. "No, I am but human."

Admitting as such came easily. At Althhaven there were many others. Elves, orcs, halflings and all sorts. He had nearly been in the minority by simple margin of his birth. It had never much bothered him though, he got along with everyone.

"Just..." He smiled. "Prone to accidents."

Something he really should have marked more.

Shaking his head he pulled a small vial from his belt. Seconds later the leaf was deposited inside, and he gestured for Beckett to move first. She was right, it wasn't a good idea to stay around, but that didn't mean he had to leave everything behind.

"Before everything died." Arius finished, frowning as he looked at the leaf inside the vial.

• Popcorn
Beckett moved swiftly. Perhaps a little too swiftly for an ordinary human to keep up. She was very careful not to touch any of the blackness along the vegetation and path around them. Digging inside her pocket, she took out a leather flask full of water. Tipping it back, she took a long drink and offered the rest to Arius.

"Here. Are you thirsty? I figure we can make it to the portal stone. And get you to Amol-Kalit. I need to find my partner. As long as we don't run into any mo--,"

There was a scream off to their right.

"NO-NO-NO-PLEASE HEEEEEEEEEELP ME!!!!!!!!!!"

Arius nodded his head, taking the small bottle of water and bringing it up to his lips as Beckett began to talk about a Portal Stone.

Almost immediately a frown flickered over his face. "But there is no Portal Stone in the Bayo-"

Before he could finish speaking the Alchemist was interrupted by the sound of a loud ear piercing scream. His head whirled to the left, and in his haste he very nearly dropped the bottle of water. Panic flickered over his features, and he fumbled for something else in his belt pouch.

"What...who?!" He said, yanking free what appeared to be a small stick. "Did you hear that?!"

Arius demanded, water bottle in one hand and stick in the other.

"I know there isn't but we're headed toward the closest ley-," she paused. An eye of ice and fire swept their surroundings. Glancing back at the Alchemist, she pushed one index finger against her lips in a universal gesture.

"Stay here," she whispered as she cut through the undergrowth and off the path, moving quickly.

Boots squelched in the swampy ground. She moved nimbly and swiftly through the roots and branches until she came upon a small clearing with simple hut in the center. A lazy-curl of smoke coming through the chimney at the top. That same voice from before screamed again - it clearly coming from inside the hut.

"NOOOOOOOOOO! HEEEEEEEELP!!!"

• Stressed
Somewhere in the back of his mind he filed away Beckett's words. Compartmentalization of information was an important skill in Academia, and he would most certainly be returning to that particular topic of conversation. At least when this current mess was dealt with.

"What?" He demanded as she stalked forward, cutting through the undergrowth.

"No." The Alchemist trudged forward. "I most certainly shall not!"

The last words were said in a sort of whisper yell as he began to follow after Beckett. Unlike her he had none of the nimble grace that she displayed. Instead he stumble through the marsh, snapping branches, getting his boot stuck more than once, and in general being obnoxious.

Fingers still clutched tightly at the stick in one hand and the vial in the other.

The screech rang out, the squelch of Arius boot following as he came up behind Beckett. "We should investigate."

He declared.

Beckett took a delicate sniff of the air. Something about this place seemed familiar. Didn't feel right. A frown behind her shoulder at Arius. Why couldn't humans just listen?

Then an idea.

"I have a better idea. Why don't you go and investigate? I have a feeling about this. Just. Whatever you do. Don't touch anything if you go inside. And don't let the front door close. Make sense?" Stepping back to let him pass she clapped his skinny shoulder.

"You've got this," she whispered with full confidence.

• Bless
Arius glanced over towards the woman. "Well, that's seems rather suspicious."

It wasn't like he was an idiot or anything.

He had spent most of his life being a scientists! Studying data and finding things that were out of place were about as important to his career as he could be. The fact that Beckett had told him to stay back and was now switching gear?

That was suspicious as could be.

He cast his eyes towards her.

"What is this?" Arius demanded, the wand swinging slightly towards her and away from the sound. "Whats going on?"

The Alchemist demanded, though his demeanor was not in the least threatening. More like a puppy than anyone which would propose any sort of threat.

• Haha
"Hey, don't wave your stick at me." Hands fell to her hips as if she was talking to a petulant child. With their age difference, Arius truly was just a child to her. Her voice remained lowered. It would be bad if that thing came outside. But they might just have a chance if Arius actually did as he was told for once in his short human life.

"Just do as I say and you'll be okay. Probably. Mostly."

There was another scream inside the hutt. And this time, the door swung open. It was hard to see what was inside beyond the darkness of the door.

"Can you just trust me?" She hissed.

• Cthulhoo rage
"I'm not waving it at you." Arius corrected petulantly. "I'm waving it in your direction, and you should be happy for that."

Most people really underestimated the power of a good stick.

Magic wasn't always best thrown into spells and symbols and all that other rotten nonsense. Those that could tap into the aether at will were so spoiled. They always thought their way was the best, that no other responses could exist.

Fools. "Trust you?!"

He whispered yelled.

"I know nothing about you!" The Alchemist reminded her. "Just that I saved your life."

He reminded, then stepped forward. "You should trust me."

The stick waved in his hand, vaguely in the same direction as her.

• Haha
"Saved my life?" Eyes rolled. A shake of indigo hair. "If you recall, I stopped you from becoming a sword's pin-cushion a few times on board. Also got you out of a burning ship about to explode."

He was still waving that stick at her.

And if he didn't stop his crowing and rattling, then they'd both be dead. She couldn't tell if the thing inside the hutt had already gotten their scents. She knew it would recognize hers but his? Most likely not.

"What makes you think I don't trust you?" She didn't. Well, she trusted he wouldn't be able to hurt her. "I could've left you on that beach after you passed out but did I?" She took a step forward too, keeping her voice down and ready to bat that stick away if he kept waving it closer to her.

• Popcorn
"And I could've let you drown." He reminded her quite indignantly, though there was no real heat to her voice.

His head shook from left to right as he glanced over towards the small shack. His expression was dubious to say the least. There was a mystery afoot here that had to be explored, and arguing back and forth wasn't doing much.

"I trust you." He deflected. "But you need to trust me."

The alchemist reminded her. "We made it this far by working together."

Beckett was right. She had saved his life more than once, but the opposite was just as true. The two of them had worked together to make it after the shipwreck, letting her go running into this alone wouldn't exactly be following the trend.

"So! Together." He declared, taking a step forward without waiting for her to answer.

• Popcorn
"Okay," Beckett whispered. But paused as he stepped forward, quickly whispering. "Just distract the old crone for a bit. I promise I won't leave you but I can't go in there with you or we'll both be dead. She can't see but she has really good hearing and smell. Just do what I told you to do."

Follow the gorram instructions.

Don't touch anything in there.

Don't let the door close.

"Baba Yaga knows my scent. But she doesn't know yours. You've got this." And before Arius could refocus on her, Beckett seemed to disappear.

• Stressed
"What." Arius said, turning around just in time to notice Beckett was gone.

Okay.

He had absolutely no idea what in the heck Beckett was talking about. What in the great hall of Foren was a Baba Yaga? Wait.

Had he heard the name before?

For a brief second Arius hesitated in the clearing, frowning as he reached for a book that wasn't there. A quiet curse echoing from his lips as he remembered most of his things were still on the ship. Fingers tightened around his sticks. "Baba..."

The Alchemist said to himself, trying to stoke some memory as he began to walk forward. "Yaga..."

What was that damned name.

• Haha
If the stalwart alchemist moved forward and into the cottage, he'd see that it was a lot larger than what it appeared to be on the outside. And it was a hoarder's dream. There were shelves upon shelves filled with odds, ends, books, things, and just stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.

Some looked like it had been bought the other day.

Other items looked like they'd been collecting dust for years.

There was a crackling fire in the corner and the distressed screams of an older-sounding woman had all but disappeared. Instead, there was the creaking of a rocking chair to a steady-rhythm as the woman's voice carried through the cottage.

'I once saw a man in fine clothing beckon me in the woods
I went over and he offered me a wish of three.'

• Nervous