Private Tales A Study of the World

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Arius Flint

The Alchemist
Character Biography
Link
BellPort

Arius scribbled a small note in his book. This is it.

He would have bet a thousand horses on it. More, even. Though it wasn't like he could have afford that bet in the first place. His journal snapped shut with a tiny puff of smoke. The paper bound within leather slipped into his satchel as he straightened his back and cleared his throat.

It had been more than five years now. More than half a decade since he'd been able to intrigue himself within his line of researched. He wondered if once again it would end up in nothing. If he would walk away free without problem or any sort of...well anything at all. Last time he had wanted power, knowledge, and he had received nothing.

Least not what he could tell.

Maybe it would be different now. Maybe there would be more. "Hello."

The Student said in warm greeting as he approached the small ship and what he presumed to be it's captain. His face was entirely impassive, calm, as though he might have been speaking to any other person.

"I've booked passage to the Empire." He said calmly. "This is the right ship, yes? For a more..."

A smile flickered over his features. "Subtle, voyage?"

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Beckett
The large half-crocodile, half-man stared down at Arius Flint. Muscled-reptilian arms folded across his chest. Double lids blinked impassively. Jaws slowly parted, a low growl emanating from his throat.

"C'min through. Akio, oy, watch it yeah? Easy does it! Ey, Smitty, same hold as last time, yeah?" Beckett called to the half-croc captain. The captain grimaced, looking at the blue-haired looking elf. She had on soft-leather boots, leggings, a tunic, belt, and a utility jacket that cinched around her waist and stopped at her hips.

"She'll be the death of me," a low hissed, growl left his snout as he nodded, a meaty hand leaving his chest to point her and Akio in the right direction down the ship as they plowed ahead, recklessly across the gangway with a cartload of boxes. His attention shifted back to Arius. "You got a ticket?" If he didn't, the captain wouldn't hesitate to throw him off the plank and into the rough waters below. He already has suspicions this kid was some kind of narq.

• Sip
Reactions: Arius Flint
There wasn't a moment of hesitation.

He had researched, studied, and ensured every single little part of this journey to perfection. That was what the students of AlthHaven did. They made sure that everything was, everything was just as it was supposed to be.

It was the only way to succeed after all. "I have a ticket."

The young Alchemist said as he reached into his satchel and produced a small flicker of paper.

He had prepared for this for months. Hunted down sources, asked questions, ensured that everything would fall into place when he actually needed it to. The Professors had often said such things might be a requirement.

Arius had believed them.

"I trust it's enough, Captain?' He said inquisitively.

Captain Smitty stabbed the ticket with one of his claws. His large jaw snapped in thought then a slow nod. Toothed-maw tipping toward the gangway onto the ship. It was an average looking vessel. Not too big. Not too small. Perhaps slightly older. But nothing that would draw unwanted attention.

A small crew of varying races was getting her ready to push off. There were a few other passengers. Most of them looked more nervous than anything. The sounds of Beckett and Akio unloading their boxes were muffled below deck.

Akio was a dark-purple skinned tiefling. Large for one. With golden eyes. “If you pull this off, we’ll be set for the next year.”

Beckett leaned against the boxes. Golden eye glinted in mischief. She cuffed Akio’s shoulder playfully as she pushed off. “Doubting me after everything we’ve been through?”

Akio monotoned back. “I’m doubting how long any one’s luck can last.”

Beckett sniffed in mock offense, the half grin never leaving her face. “C’mon. Let’s see what cook is brewing up for lunch.” Hand patted her stomach lightly. “I’m starving.”

• Sip
Arius made his way on board the ship with a smile on his face.

He knew that this was just the beginning, well technically, middle of his journey, but he couldn't help but feel upbeat. Things had so far gone quite smoothly. At least in terms of things that could have gone wrong already. He wasn't dead, and he wasn't strung up on the docks or in some rigging.

There was something to be said about that.

"This here's the Captain's Quarters, you stay away from me."

The sailor leading him around had a rather plump face, and a plumper gut. He seemed friendly enough, despite the warning he had just offered. Arius just nodded in compliance. "Wouldn't dream of it."

He'd bought passage after all, didn't need the Captain's quarters when he had his own.

A curt nod from the sailor and the two of them continued, heading below the deck of the ship. The young student continued to be all smiles, listening as the crew quarters and the cargo hold were point out.

"This heres the galley."

He remarked with a jerk of his thumb just as Beckett and her companion approached.

• Popcorn
"I hope they have stew," Akio muttered as they rounded the corner, nearly bumping into Arius and the crew member. Beckett swiftly stepped to the side with a motion that was all grace and speed. A curious glance at Arius before her bi-colored eyes set upon the crew member.

A quick-easy smile to him.

"Frank. Gotchu a bottle of your favorite lum. See me when we push off, yeah?" The crew-member's gaze softened and he nodded.

"Right after I show this one around," Frank nodded.

"Oh? This your first time on a ship?" Beckett addressed Arius, Akio grumbling slightly in the background about being delayed from lunch.

• Sip
Arius felt the medallion on his chest grow slightly cold, a smile touching his face for a brief moment as he shook his head. ”A ship? No.”

There was a friendly warmth to his tone.

His mother had always told him politeness took you a long way, and kindness even farther. There was something to be said about the friends you could make with others. Especially strangers you were about to spend a couple of weeks with on a boat.

”This one? Yes.” Arius jested. ”It’s a bit bigger than the last one though.”

The only other two voyages he had taken by sea were rather short. One from AlthHaven to a port city within the Wylds, and the other from his home to the school in the first place. He’d never much minded sea travels, though preferred the land.

Mostly because at least there he could trust his own feet. ”I’m Arius Flint.”

The academic said, extending his hand in greeting.

• Nervous
Mortals had always fascinated Beckett. Which was perhaps why she spent most of her time around them instead of with the fae. And because she was short for a fae, yet slightly tall for a mortal, she’d been able to get away with it with few questions asked or suspicions to her origin.

She took his hand in a quick, solid shake. “Beckett. This here is Akio,” thumb hooked over her shoulder at the tiefling. Akio grunted and tapped Beckett’s shoulder impatiently. Knowing her inability to keep things short. To never meet a stranger.

“COME on,” he grumbled.

Beckett shrugged her shoulders apologetically at Flint and began to step away. “Enjoy the tour. I’m sure we’ll see you around. If Akio doesn’t get fed every few hours he gets cranky.”

• Popcorn
The moment her hand touched his, the medallion on his chest went frigid as ice.

It would have sent a shiver over his entire body, goosebumps raising over his flesh, were it not for all the preperation he had put in. Instead a smile drew over his lips, expression as warm as though he were taking a fresh baguette from a bakery.

"Lovely to meet you." He told her softly, eyes flickering over towards 'Akio'.

"Oh I'm sure I understand." Arius said. "I hate to miss a meal myself."

His hand withdrew, and he bowed his head in one quick notion of respect.

As Becket and her companion stepped into the galley the sailor that had been accompanying him smiled at Arius.

"Odd pair those two, but good folk."​

"Oh I can imagine." He said with a smile. "Now where are my quarters?"

• Nervous
By the time she and Akio had finished up their stews, Akio nearly licking his bowl clean, the ship had pushed off from the docks and was making its way toward Amot-Kalit. The seas were fair so far but they weren’t in the deeper, open waters yet. While some may find the erratic rocking of the ship disturbing, Beckett didn’t mind it. It reminded her a little of the Court of Dawn and it’s swiftly changing landscape.

Standing, Akio excised himself to go check on the cargo. Beckett imagined he just wanted to go read in peace. Shoving her hands in two of her pockets, she made her way toward the top deck.

• Popcorn
Arius had put away his things in the small cabin his pay had granted him.

It was nothing more than a writing desk, a bed, and then a very small chest for his things. He had not expected more, nor desire it. Many back home would have considered it a luxury, and indeed that was what it was. In AlthHaven he'd not had much more.

Not that he cared.

Arius wasn't here for the accommodations. No no. He had already found what he was here for.

Fingers slowly reached up beneath the hem of his shirt, playing with the medallion which ordinarily rested against his chest. A broad, almost beaming smile spread over his lips. I thought it would take more time.

He considered quietly before pulling open the door.

Perhaps it was time to find his new object of study. The early bird caught the worm, after all.

• Thoughtful
Multiple hammocks were strewn about the deck. Beckett found herself lazing in one, legs crossed at the ankles. One arm behind her head as she stared up the cloudy-sky, swinging gently to the rhythm of the ship's rock along the waters.

Other hand held a gold-tinted spyglass up to one eye. Golden-eye closed and blue one peering through to look at the magnified world beyond. Now this? This was life. No arcane procedures or etiquette to follow. No stuffy clothes to wear. No war with Winter or the other courts. The look of disappointment and disapproval on her parents' faces too far removed to be of concern.

She couldn't help the small smile that grew upon her lips.

• Popcorn
Arius knew that there was a right way to approach this and a wrong way.

Things had fallen through before, and perhaps that had been because of over-eagerness. He would ensure that things would be different this time. Instead of hunting, instead of predator, he would be prey. Least make it look that way.

Not like he had any ill-intention at all, truly, he just wanted to learn.

A bit of lying, a bit of stepping the right way would get him what he wanted.

Hard learned lessons that now stuck with him. Ones that the other students at AlthHaven had tried to teach him long ago. It had taken...more than that for them to stick, but now Arius understood them quite well. That was why he went up on the top deck.

Why it would be where he was when the dawn came and the ship found itself already at sea.

His notebook propped open on his laps, pencil gently sketching away.

• Sip
Tucking the spyglass away, she pulled out a bright green apple from her jacket. Swinging her legs over the side of the hammock, she slid out. There was a small number of crew out on the deck. Some transitioning to the rigging as the sails were shifted to get the best wind. A weather mage stood on the prow with the croc captain.

But as she turned, a surprised look crossed her face. She hadn’t expected to see the young man from earlier out here. Usually passengers slept in. Or were in the galley piling their plates with cook’s eggs and flat cakes.

Booted-feet took her over to Flint. “Arius, right?” She said by way of greeting. Bringing the apple up to her mouth, she took a small bite. Quickly chewing and swallowing, gaze drifting down to his work. “May I see?”

Brief meetings were often just that, brief.

There was hardly enough time to read another person, to understand them or try to even guess at their motivations. Yet over the years Arius had gotten quite good at guessing, or rather, better at seeing a mark of interest.

It seemed that this time it was just the same. "Hm?"

Arius said, turning his head as though he didn't quite hear.

"Oh. Of course." The young alchemist said as he shifted slightly and revealed what was on the page of the journal. It was a simple enough sketch, a drawing of the morning dawn, though accented with the Sea-Hawks he had seen some hours ago.

Now long gone, having flown eastward. Though punctuated in his memory.

• Thoughtful
Blue-hair shifted along pale skin as she looked down. Another bite of apple in thought. "Not bad," she offered. She'd been around great artists of their time. Hundreds of years ago. And this, well. This was exactly as she described it. She just hoped he was at the very beginning of his career or no artist at all.

"You're out and about early," she remarked idly, her gaze panning back to the vast ocean around them. On the starboard side, they could still see the faintest swath of land in the distance that marked the coastline they were traveling up. But to the portside? Wide, open and wild ocean.

• Popcorn
"Never been one for sleep." Arius explained, as though it were the simplest thing in the world.

It wasn't a lie either.

He had never much liked sleep. His body needed it, just like any other humans, but he never liked it. To his mind sleep was a waste of time. Glimpses of activity and learning that were lost due to the weakness of his mortal body.

Over the years he'd found a few work arounds, but most of them had consequences. "I prefer to draw, and study."

Arius remarked.

"Learn and see what I can do while staying up." He took the journal back, placing it into his lap.

• Popcorn
"Never been one for sleep."

"I can relate," she responded like she was telling a close friend and not a boy she'd just met. And his response was one of the reasons why she found mortals so fascinating. Ephemeral lifespans with hopes, dreams, and aspirations that expanded an eternity. In her case, though, lack of sleeping wasn't the thought of wasting time or of running out of it.

Rather, it was having too much of it. Well, just not needing as much as humans took.

She took another bite of apple. "What do you study," she asked curiously with another crisp bite of apple. "Are you on your way to one of the universities in Amol-Kalit?" Perhaps he was a student.

A student on the run from someone or something. There wasn't really another reason to take this ship besides wanting to keep a low profile or being a smuggler like she and Akio were. And he didn't strike her as a smuggling type.

• Thoughtful
"I study Alchemy." There was no real reasoning in lying. He did, primarily, study alchemy. It was the field that he was unquestionably best at. A subset of magic that most wizards would have preferred to foolishly ignore.

He'd never understood why they did that, but more than most did. "I have a visit planned."

Arius continued to explain, apparently not at all shy about his business.

"One of the great Masters of my art." For a few seconds he mused, then went on. "It is said he has brewed a potion that grants immortality."

Though Arius already knew that wasn't true. The Masters work was a lie, one that he planned on exposing. As long as his...hobby didn't get in the way of things. The real reason that he had decided to take this journey by ship and not portal stone.

• Popcorn
"Immortality," a quirk of indigo brows. For as long as fae lived, even they were not immortal. No one was. "That would be quite the potion," she mused with another bite of apple. It wasn't something she was interested in.

And she wasn't too familiar with alchemy. She knew what it was but she'd never studied it herself or been around any other mortals who had. Or at least, specialized in it.

Letting the finished core drop, it fell against her upraised thigh before she bounced it onto her boot and kicked it over the side of the ship's rail and into the waters beyond. "With any luck, we'll be in Amol-Kalit on schedule with no loss of life, limb, or cargo," she said rather cheerily. Pirates often lurked along this coastline. So did varying authorities. But the captain was usually good at avoiding them all.

Hands placed on her hips as she looked down at him, knowing the call of her stomach would take her away sooner rather than later. "Would you mind telling me more about Alchemy? Is that when someone tries to turn leaves into gold?" She knew that fae did that by illusion. Or there were wishes from the leprechauns but there was always a price. Did alchemy have the same costs? She wondered.

• Thoughtful
He chuckled. "Yes, and no."

Arius seemed to brighten even further, a challenge that most would have said was impossible. He had a naturally sunny disposition. There was not much in this world that bothered him, and even less that could put him in a dour mood.

"Alchemy a form of natural magic, at least that is the way I think of it." Slowly he flipped through his sketchbook, searching for something. "It is the changing of matter, organic or inorganic through it's own forces."

Well, the manipulation of them. "Potions, powders, all sorts of things like that."

He found a page, and showed it to her.

The drawing upon it was a series of runes, though not like rune magic. Instead it almost appeared as a language, complex, ancient, and clearly scribbled by his own hand.

"A leaf cannot turn to gold, but in theory lead could. Though the cost of the reagents generally means it's not worth it." He shrugged. "Alchemy is a very...varying field. Most spend their whole lives focusing on a single thing."

• Popcorn
It was as if she'd been seeing the sun behind clouds this entire time and for a moment, she caught a glimpse of it peaking through as Arius' face brightened. She leaned in closer as he showed his page. She didn't recognize the language. And it was rare that she came across something, after all her years of living, that she didn't at least recognize.

Her curiosity continued to bubble like when someone shook a bottle of New Eve's day sparkling wine before popping the lid.

Her cold and warm gaze returned to him. "And what's your single thing?"

• Popcorn
Arius smiled. "Me?"

There was a certain sort of pride in his voice as he continued. Not that of a man of arrogance, but someone who clearly reveled in what they did. One could almost think that the way he spoke, it was as though he were making a discovery a-knew.

"I study the transmutation of soul." He explained. "The shifting and changing of what makes us...us."

The student tapped his knee. "Or at least, according to a great many religions."

He chuckled, though more so as though he'd told a dark joke.

"It is a...new form of study, but I've made quite a few strides." Arius said proudly.

• Thoughtful
Beckett pulled away from the language on the page of his notebook. She straightened, her gaze looking off into the waters around them. A narrowing of her eyes as if she could sense a threat on the horizon before she returned her attention back to the human man.

"What made you choose that as your focus?"

His latter comment made her think he wasn't particularly religious but she didn't want to make an assumption.

"Becks!" Akio called from the doorway that lead down into the cantina and holds. His yellow pupiless eyes stared at her from across the deck, a red-hand coming to swipe at them as if he were rubbing any lingering sleep away. "You're gonna miss the fresh eggs."

• Popcorn
A shrug rolled over his shoulders. "It seemed a niche that most shied away from."

The soul was an ephemeral thing.

Most could not reach out and touch it, change it, or do anything at all. It was easier to mess with potions or different elements, and Arius did that too. Yet the soul was the core of a being, the very center. It was far more difficult to study.

Thus more interesting.

"I enjoy the challenge." He said simply. "And overcoming tho-"

Before he could finish the man interrupted him. Lips thinned for a brief moment, but he gestured to Beckett. "It seems you're being called away."

Arius said with a smile.

• Popcorn