Open Chronicles A Sight To Behold

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Well it seems the real guards finally appeared to deal with the situation. Tol looked around to see all the mess everyone caused including himself. The good thing at least was that it was pretty clear to tell who attacked first. "We stop poson thieves. ahhhh" Were the potions actually in the tavern, it didn't seem like anyone actually checked but then why else would these people attack. Wait how did they know the group were hunting them down. No need to worry about this as Rizzo The Smart believed they had the potions so surely they must and infact the swamp lead them here.

"Posons in Da inn. Da Swamp tell Tol it here" The Swamp was never wrong. Tol then noticed that Ye was serverly injured. The lizard did say he had two potions, the ones that provided stamina and the ones that heal. Without missing a beat Tol grabbed one of the thieves or whatever they were completely ignoring the guards who tried to stop him. "WHERE IS HEAL POSON!!"
Tol wouldn't hesitate to make an example of them if they refuse to tell him.

Ye'svonne took a moment to gather himself as Declan asked him his questions. Again, he would not be able to repay the kindness he'd been shown by his newfound acquaintances today. They vouched for him with barely knowing him when it could have been easy as hell to rob him blind. Some souls were unexpectedly beautiful.

As the last shard of glass was peeled from his back the guards medic cast a slow healing spell on his ruptured flesh. Eventually he was able to stand and looked towards Declan with heavy eyes.

"They speak the truuuuuuth to you. My deduction was that they were monster poachers plotting poor Tol's downfall from the start. They were prepared in armaments and even took my revitalization set of potions I was planning on selling to everyone here. The man with the halberd came later, but assisted us in tracking the thievesssssss. They attacked us from the upper floor of the inn. However there was many crowds of them. As to which one of them has my wares, I cannotttttttt speak. He was hooded when he apprehended my hard work. I swear to you, I wanted none of this."

Ye'svonne looked honest, and completely defeated. The alchemist had nearly died just to procure some food money. His mind and body were exhausted.

Sergeant Declan had a number of things to absorb, trying to piece together the whole situation from the mess he and his guards stumbled in to. But there were a few solid items of consideration to note. The troll--Tol--had been allowed into the city earlier in the day, this much Declan had known from word passed along; trolls were among some of the more unusual visitors to the city, but not unheard of. There was also the ballista that guardsman--well, former guardsman--Jakub Bram pointed out, and a matching bolt across the street lodged into a home. The troll didn't seem to have gone on a rampage suddenly--no account corroborated any notion of that--and these other men, the alleged monster poachers by the lizardman's claim, weren't talking and certainly weren't as cooperative as Jakub, Tol, the lizardman Ye, and Rizzo Bouchard (of all people).

The word of travelers and noncitizens, like Tol and Ye, often didn't amount to much. Such wasn't meant to be insulting, but Alliria had any number of people the world over passing through on a given day, many of whom harbored outright ill-intent. It was simply the fact of the matter.

That wasn't to say Rizzo's word counted for much either. The dark elf was walking trouble with a smile. The Bouchards were a lovely couple, a good man and a good woman, who raised an outstanding family, and their children having gone on to do the same here in Alliria or elsewhere. Declan didn't know how they came to adopt Rizzo--he'd never asked--but he thought that perhaps their hearts were a little too big...and a little too lenient. Especially after he himself brought a much younger Rizzo back to their doorstep on several occasions, explaining what the hell she'd been up to this time. Now that Rizzo was a young woman instead of a girl, he'd not heard or personally dealt with her getting into trouble in recent years. But that was far more worrying than comforting; it suggested more to Declan that she'd simply gotten better at not getting caught.

So it came down to the weight of Jakub Bram's testimony. And Declan decided that his claim, out of all those involved, ought to be given the most credence. That it lined up with Rizzo's and Tol's and Ye's was happenstance as far as Declan was concerned at the moment.

But first.

"Leave him be," Sergeant Declan said to Tol, his tone unfazed despite the gargantuan size of the troll he was addressing. "That man is in Allirian guard custody."

Back to Jakub. "So we ought to find a number of potions inside that inn over there if all this lines up." A pause. "Alright, Jakub. Let's go have a look."

* * * * *​

Alright, Jakub. Let's go have a look.

Rizzo was positively ecstatic now. She looked from the Sergeant Declan back to Ye and bounced up and down on her feet and shined a bright grin and brighter eyes at Ye. Wow, what a day! But it was a day taken by storm, alright! She earned those potions, she did, she did! And they were going to go get 'em and bring 'em out to Ye and she was going to buy 'em right in front of all those cuffed monster poachers and she was going to be SO. POLITE.

THAT'S. RIGHT!

"CanIcomecanIcome? I'll help you and Halberd Man look! No trouble, you can watch me! Promise-promise!"

Declan gave her a look that, again, didn't show much of his immediate thoughts. And he said for a moment, "Very well. But you're staying on the scene until this is resolved. Don't make any bad decisions, Rizzo. Clear?"

Rizzo straightened up in a mock military manner and slammed a fist to her chest, her cheeks puffed out as she attempted to look serious. "Clear!"

Declan eyed her for a bit longer, then shifted to Ye. Said, "Same goes for you, lizardman. You can come and help search the inn if you wish, but regardless you're to stay in the area until this is all resolved." To the guards around him: "Uncuff him for now." They did so.

Some additional orders from Declan to the other guards, to keep the arrested group of monster poachers here and under watch. He turned his attention back to Jakub. Gestured his head toward the inn across the street where the crossbow bolt had been fired from. And he walked to it and went inside.

Rizzo pranced up to Tol and said loudly as she snapped a finger up at one of the windows, "Hey, hey, you can help too! Peek inside the windows and see what you can see! We'll find the potions, I know we will!"

She clapped her hands together, rubbed them fiercely, then set off with a strut toward the inn, her cape fluttering up from her sharp turn toward the building. Along the way she sung quietly to herself: Gives me the notion!/Of a big promotion!

And she went inside the inn.

He winced as he walked towards the inn. Hey, at least he was believed. He remembered the fact of an arrow in his shield when he hit the arrow on the doorway through the inn. He carefully yanked it out once he was through and proceeded up the stairs, taking in some of the things he had missed on his charge up. He winced when he saw the shattered door. “That’ll cost.” He said, as he stepped into the room where the archer had been. He was still out cold on the ground. “Might want to sic some handcuffs on him, he was one of the attackers.” He said as he nudged him with his foot to ensure he was still out cold. “Might want to grab that if you want to gather evidence.” He waved at the shattered crossbow. He took a second to pause, muttering, out loud, if barely enough for someone to hear, “Now, if I were a monster poacher with a giant pile of potions to hide, and around a minute or so to do it while also preparing to fight a troll, where would I put it?” There was really only one reasonable answer. The place where all questionable things were hidden, especially in a rush. He poked his head underneath the bed, reaching out and pulling out a small crate the potions had been shoved it. He picked it up and said, “Found it, this work sir?” He addressed Sergeant Declan.

Well it seemed the the man was in luck as Tol was told to put him down which Tol obliged by simply letting go causing the man to fall on his arse. Tol doubted that these criminals were here for him or atleast planning on killing him while in the city. Truth be told Tol didn't understand the situation one bit.

Now rizzo wanted Tol to assist them in searching the tavern by looking through the window. While Tol was tall he still had to go on the tip of his toes to get a proper view. Luckily it seemed the potions were found quite quickly but only the potions. Where were the materials used to brew the potions the thieves also stole. "Ye no make Tol strong poson wif out poson ingredient"

Luck seemed to have struck his comrades as they proclaimed to have found what was taken from him. Though his materials being missing still was a bigger issue than the potions. His shipment being stolen just meant he had to remake the order. However his materials were what took him ages to gather. If they weren't in the inn, where were they.

He peered at the crowd of other poachers as they were being paraded into carriages for arrest. His ears perked straight up. He saw the one. The hooded one. Who'd taken everything. He had the answers. Declan had requested he not act out of turn. Declan had also not considered how a father would react to finding the man responsible for taking food out of his child's mouth. He stood up and slowly but firmly walked over to the man before he was loaded into a carriage.

In a split second Ye'svonne planted a haymaker into the mans cheek and knocked him flat to the ground. The Allirian guard immediately grabbed Ye'svonne and placed him back into custody. The alchemist blared, "Where did you put it you sssssscoundrel?! Where are my herbs!?"

The man who'd been punched let out a sinister snicker. "Your potions are here, lizard freak. But your materials are beyond city walls by now. I know someone who took great interest in your research. Thanks for all your hard work." His laugh continued to echo even after he'd been loaded up. Ye'svonne was back in cuffs and held down by a very muscular guard who wouldn't take his eyes off him.

Who would know about his craft? Who would try to fight Tol so adequately just to make sure his work was stolen from him? How deep did this go...?

Sergeant Declan, again leaning on Jakub's recent history of service in the guard, took his word that the man in the upstairs room of the inn was one of the attackers. He knelt down, took the pair of threaded horsehair cuffs off of his belt, and secured them about the crossbowman's wrists.

Rizzo had strolled after the two of them, up the stairs and into the room she and Jakub had crashed into earlier. Cursory but not too in-depth looks about the room. Oh those potions had to be somewhere. They did, they did! Oh hey there's Tol outside the window. OH HEY THERE'S THE POTIONS!

Rizzo cried out with glee and beamed and clasped her hands together and swung her joined hands from side to side. "You did it, Halberd Man!"

YessheknewhisnamewasJakubbuthewasHalberdMantoherokayokay.

Sergeant Declan stood up. Nodded to Jakub. "I think that'll do just fine, Jakub. Fine work." Rare. It was the rare incident indeed that untangled itself so quick and so clean. But Declan wasn't going to be caught questioning his blessings.

Rizzo zoomed up to Declan, rocking back and forth on the heels of her boots, and said, "Declan-Declan, I need to buy some of those potions! I really do! See, I've got a sneaking suspicion that my next Adventurer's Guild contract is going to be the one that gets me promoted and I really--!"

Hands raised from Declan to interrupt her. "Hey. You don't need my permission, Rizzo. You and Jakub and the troll and the lizardman, you're all free to go. But I will reiterate: Don't make any bad decisions."

"I'm all sunshine today!" she proclaimed. Then, over to the crate Jakub held, she picked out four of the stamina potions. She didn't want to take all of them, not anymore! She decided to leave some for Tol the Bull, let him buy some too! See! She was being extra polite today.

A satisfied, self-assured skip brought her down the stairs of the inn and back out into the street, and she hummed her little tune all the way. When she approached Ye, though...

"Hey, Ye! You're under arrest again! That's twice now in about ten minutes! You've beaten my record, wow! Uhhh...the record I don't have! Because I don't get arrested!"

Anymore. As of late. Recently. Ho-hum, doobly-do, whirly-woo, little details, hey nevermind.

Rizzo then announced her intent very loudly, "I would like to buy these four stamina potions from you, Ye the Flowery! How much do I owe ya?"

She grinned. Ear-to-ear. Eyes darting every other second or so to the wagonload of arrested monster poachers who were so sorely impolite and on the LOSING end of things today. Ha, ha! The day took them by storm!

"Thanks, Declan." He said once he finished talking to Rizzo Bouchard, remembering to drop the official term he would've used if he was still in the guard, then said, as she left, "I'm going to get these back to the lizard and keep an eye on Rizzo, good luck out there." He moved down the stairs, and as he left the building, he approached where Ye'svonne Airileth should've been.

A quick survey of the area though, displayed a whole new situation. He walked over to Ye'svonne, setting the crate down and looking down on him. If a helmeted face could display disappointment, his did. He addressed the guard holding him down, "John, let the poor guy stand up, I doubt he could hurt a fly much less escape a pair of cuffs, I'll keep an eye on him and figured out why he decided to be a dumbass," He looked pointedly at Ye, then continued, "and take care of him for ya, you can go ahead and finish with those poachers and bring him into custody if necessary."

Did they just just put Ye is cuffs after the lizard finally got one of the thieves to spit out the location of the materials. If it wasn't for the others coming out to hopefully resolve the situation Tol would have made things go a little violent. But now the plot has thickened thanks to what little information Ye got out of the thief.

Who would hire a bunch of monster hunters or mercenaries to steal a bunch of potions to cause a distraction allowing for someone else to steal all the materials from a small potion stall when they could have simply hired people to gather the materials for most likely half the cost. Only thing Tol could think of was that this entire situation was a warning from someone who saw Ye's business as a threat to theirs but then they still decided to take to materials out of the city which still doesn't make sense. This is why Tol never got into business in the first place.

"They're yours." He seemed to speak to no one though his words were meant for both Rizzo and Tol. "Take as many of them as you can. No chargeeeeee." He looked down at his cuffs with a glare of fury. It wasn't the guards he was mad at, no. It was whoever was behind this. Such elaborate and wild actions to take down a small business owner and with ability in combat to boot. It didn't make much sense. There would be only one factor that could possibly tie it together.

Jakub's words stung. They held weight, of course. Ye'svonne had been deliberately foolish. If only the knight understood what was going through the alchemist's head. He could try and explain but it would come off sounding as if he were trying to excuse himself. He wasn't. These men had just found it okay to interrupt Ye'svonne's entire livelihood and that bothered him to his core. He had to know what the possibility of this was.

"Declan, was it?" He looked up at the man who'd walked out with Rizzo and had spoke to him earlier. His eyes heavy and determined. "What can you tell me about any pirates in the area that have been activeeeeee for fifteen years or longer?" His words were toneless and had a quiet ferocity to them. He was on to something. He just hoped to god he was wrong. His old ship, A Serpents Burden, had a captain with a great deal of enemies.

This alchemist may be getting caught in a crossfire.

Rizzo's face seemed frozen in her grin. This persisting for a few seconds. Then her eyes, somehow, appeared to grow bigger and glow brighter as jubilant wonder overtook her.

"Really!? Do you mean it, mean it? Wow! Thanks, Ye! If I ever borrow something from you I will promptly return it!" Little darts of her gaze here and there. No, her grin wasn't guilty. Nope. Not that. Not at all. She would return it, that hypothetical thing! Maybe. Okay she wasn't sure. It's the thought that counts! Wait, how shiny are we talking? Anyway, she added with effervescent cheer, "Because that's what friends do!"

Speaking of!

"Hey, Tol!" she said, calling out and beckoning him over. "Didn't you want some? Ye's being nice and they're free as free can be! Maybe they're not a lot for Tol the Bull--Raaaah!--but they're better than nothing! Right, right! Wanna go halfsies?"

Ahhh! She already had four in her hands and those were all she could carry! What she really needed was a satchel or traveling pack. Yes, she did! Especially if she was going to go out of the city, far out of the city, for her adventure and promotion to Iron rank!

Halberd Man (potions!) came out along with Declan. And while Declan set about loading the final and unconscious monster poacher prisoner in the wagon, Halberd Man had a choice word to describe Ye.

Rizzo whirled around and declared on Ye's behalf, "Hey! Ye's not dumb! He graduated from that big fancy College in Elbion and wrote twenty-three books and invented the her-ba-da-der-ba-da and you haven't done any of that!" Her serious face had all the seriousness of an intense kitten attack, and it was broken near immediately when she threw in, "I still like your halberd!"

Declan, meanwhile, glanced over to the lizardman Rizzo called Ye. Heeded his question, and gave an honest answer. Said, "My days are long enough worrying about what happens on land. I know a number of tales, but I'm hardly the right man who can readily discern legend from present fact upon the sea. You'll want to ask around the docks, after..." He finished his sentence with a conspicuous glance down to Ye's re-attached cuffs.

And the sergeant went about his work, instructing a small detachment of guards on where to take the offenders and what to do with them.

He listened as Ye'svonne Airileth talked, and as Declan responded, after Rizzo Bouchard talked about a college in Elbion or something, he wasn’t really paying attention. Once they finished talking, he winced. His side has jolted in pain again. He sighed, whistling at John, his former co-worker and made an apologetic look as he waved his hand at Ye’s cuffs. He then smiled gratefully as he was tossed the keys, and, unlocking the cuffs on the lizard man’s wrist, grabbed the cuffs and the keys and tossed them back, saying, “Thanks John.”

“Now, first off, how much do one of those potions cost? Because it’s really starting to hurt here.”
He gestured at his side where the ballista bolt had given him a gash. “Second off, it sounds like you have an idea, and I’d prefer to know it.” He paused for a moment, then continued. “And third off, I’m Jackub, and I don’t believe I caught your name.” He asked Ye, and quickly continued, “And I know you.” He quickly said, cutting off any interruptions from Rizzo Bouchard. He also quickly called out to Tol, “And I don’t know your name either.”