Open Chronicles A Night on the Town

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Eden Sinclayr

Allirian Councilor
Character Biography
Link
In the Inner City of Alliria, a lounge by the name of the Egret's Cove sits on stilts above the docks.True to its name, the white birds wade through the waters below the building, uncaring to the clamor inside. Therein, the city's most elite gather to discuss business and drink the night away in plush repose. Merchants, poets, favored actors and visiting dignitaries all mingled together.

"The walls held," one voice enunciated slow and loud from across the parlor. The voice belonged to a young gentleman, pushed forward by the slosh of drink in his hand, merchant's chain clinking against the gold slung across his chest, Velvet cloak crooked and slipping off one arm. "They're holding still, as the Guard cleans up that awful mess in the fields."

"But what if next time, it doesn't,"
his companion next to him urged. He was a slight man with finely embroidered cuffs in the style of the West bank of the city. They were only two of several in a richly furnished alcove, the long table sitting many personalities. "What if they get a bigger dragon, eh?"

"The walls will still hold, you clout. That's why we built them!"
The first man spilled a bit of his drink at he pointed accusingly at the second. "You ought to be more worried about pirates, Clarence. I heard you lost another ship in the Strait."

Clarence leaned back in the plush sofa he was sprawled across. "Aye," he nodded forlornly. "Oban is feeling further and further away each season."

A table down the way, someone gasped, and a silver spoon clattered to the floor. Clarence and his companion looked up to see a great beast striding between tables on padded feet. It was more or less the shape of a dog, except bigger than anything, and with sleek black fur that smoothed over muscle. Two pale eyes pricked out from a square and drooling face. It snuffed at the edges of table cloths and lady's hems, and everywhere it went the conversation choked away into uneasy silence.

"What in the Reach is that thing," whispered Clarence, but he was promptly hushed by his companion.

Behind the beast strode a lanky elf with wiry black hair, clad in the leathers of a hunter. Boots and claws stopped in front of the two gentleman's end of the table. The elf did not bow his head, for in the city of Alliria, no men were noble.

"The Councilor Sinclayr has need of this space," the elf said. The beast at his side did not sit, but stretched its head forward, sniffing wide nostrils at the two men, eyeing them patiently with a demon's gaze. Clarence stared, round-mouthed and wide-eyed. The other man at the table grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him backwards. With a scraping of chairs and an abandonment of drinks, they both scurried away.

"Nerkiss, have you got a chair cleared for us?"
The lady Eden Sinclayr appeared in the parlor's doorway, curtains rippling behind her as she stepped through. She was in the plain black adornments she always wore, to council meeting or the battlements or brunch. A gloved hand had one of those groaning nuisances by the throat, and she drug the bloated, oozing dead before her. More guests evacuated their seats at the sight of the vile thing, one woman leaving a silk slipper behind in her haste.

Wordlessly, the elf Nerkiss pulled out a now-empty chair, scooping up the wine glass full of drink that those established gentlment had previously been sipping on. He brushed flower vase and cultlery off the space in one swoop and took a sip of the drink in the same action. The lady Sinclayr hefted the prize she'd caught up and slammed it against the table. Muscles in her arm clenched as she held the undead there. Back curved and she threw her other hand up, knife gleaming in the candle light. Her blade came down upon the undead soldier, cracking its skull between sightless eyes.

Letting go of the knife, Eden sat down in the chair. Before her, the zombie gurgled and twitched. On the other end of the table, the merchant Gregory Parsefal set down his fork and cleared his throat. Other guests looked back and forth between him and the atrocity hesitantly. One man choked on a dry heave, covering his mouth discreetly with a napkin.

"What is the meaning of this, councilor?" The merchant Parsefal demanded.

"My plus one," Eden said smoothly. Behind her, Nerkiss stood at attention (minus the drink he had pilfered), and the great dog curled up at her feet. "Surely you will not protest to his presence here, since you so readily allowed the undead into your people's townships."

As Rou Stonewall entered the lounge she was met by a nasty smell, "by gods." She huffed under her breath.

The half elf looked around for the source of the stench, once she spotted it visual nausea shadowed her expression. "And this was supposed to be a nice place."

Rolling her eyes, Rou found herself at the bar and ordered a mug of ale.
With her appreance it was clear she was no political figure or person of importance. Her attire would give this much away. As usual Rou was in her white tunic - dotted with bloodstains she would most likely never be able to wash out, black leather pants and a pair of worn out boots.

"Who ye' looking for?" The man on the opposite side of the counter would ask her as he filled her mug.
"Dunno yet, one I was supposed to deal with ended up pushing daisies. Got on the wrong side of the wrong person if you know what I mean." Rou offered up a careless shrug, flicked her raven hair over her shoulder and turned around in her seat, taking in the different patrons, wondering who her next employer could be.

Paunchly, Gregory stood up, his chair scraping across the tile flooring with an odious creak. "If you think that such obscenities as this," he gestured at the still twitching zombie oozing all over his guest's dinner. "... is going to persuade me to sign off on your demands, you are sorely mistaken!"

"Why not?"
Leaning back in her chair, Eden splayed out, clearly intending to stay for the long haul. "It's a good deal - give me the men I need to clear the outerlands of their recent infestation, and I'll make sure this is the last undead you see in the Inner districts."

"Councillor, you dare threaten me!"

The conversation would go on in much the same way that conversations between politicians often went - with no ground given and little information gleaned. A few more verbal jabs back and forth, and the elf behind Eden seemed to grow bored of it all. He drained his stolen glass of wine, peered down at the last drop of the elixir, then back at the bar where more surely was.

He found someone else looking back at him.

A slick smile spread across Nerkiss's face. He strode over to the bar and slid on to a stool next to the elven woman, most of his torso twisted over the countertop. The base of the wine glass clinked as he set it down, and the barkeep wasted no time uncorking a bottle and refilling it.

Still gleaming at the other elf, Nerkiss nodded back at the gruesome scene across the way. "My boss over there is trying to drum up fresh blood to deal with the dead outside the walls. But she's not going to get much out of that lot." Thumb and finger pinched the stem of his glass, and he swirled the wine in a dainty manner that didn't quite match his rough exterior. "Know anyone looking for some quick coin? The work's not hard. Just miserable."

alphabunny

• Popcorn
Reactions: Josai
Rou watched as the man, well elf, made his way across the bar. Her gaze blatant, never taking her mismatched colored eyes off of him as he took a seat next to her and ordered himself another drink.
Rou took a big swig of her own, "I guess it depends on how full their pockets will be afterwards." Rou looks the elf up and down, taking in his appearance and assessing his clothing.
"Seems as if you might be able to meet my costs, by the looks of ya'."
The half elf was intrigued by the job prospect, she had never crossed paths with any of the undead before and such an experience was one she desired. "If you are in need of an archer, I could offer my services...for the right price."
Rou placed her now empty mug down and ordered herself a new one.