Fate - First Reply A Night by the Fire

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
A

Andonis Iraklidis

Anirian territory

Sunset

Set nicely along the banks of a gently rolling stream, sunken down into the easy ravine the waters had carved out for millennia, sat Andonis. The warm glow of the crackling flame before him spread wide and sparkled atop the soft water. He admired it for a time, enjoying the surrounding sounds of night in the distance to be interrupted only to stoke the flame. All the while, he mindlessly tended the hog which cooked over it, spinning it around slowly.

He smelled it. His mouth watered.

Nearly done. He grinned.

He'd barely eaten since he'd escaped that wretched prison. And now with many leagues between here and there he was content to try to find some rest. Between the imminent food, the warmth of the fire and the starry night above - he imagined he would have little trouble relaxing this night.

• Yay
Reactions: Rämna Sisters
Melody awoke. She was lying on a trail in the waning hours of twilight. She rolled over and spat the dirt out of her mouth before standing and brushing herself off. Judging by the sky the sun had just set. That would explain her sudden awakening, but what the hell had Faith been doing out in the middle of nowhere near sunset?

Her sister was many things, but careless was not one of them. For years she had diligently kept a strict schedule for the soul purpose of keeping Melody from taking control of their body. So long as Faith slept before sunset, Melody's consciousness would not awaken (usually). It was a terribly unfair thing to do, in Melody's opinion, but Faith didn't much enjoy waking up the next morning to learn that she had started several bar fights and had lost most of her money.

Why then was she here? What could possibly have driven her to this place at this time? No one was chasing her that she could see. She couldn't see anyone at all, actually, but she could smell something wonderful. The aroma of the boar carried on the wind like a siren's call. Melody's stomach growled. Whatever Faith had been doing, she had not eaten recently.

It didn't take her long to find the fire, the growing darkness made it stand out more and more. Treading softly in her leather boots, Melody did her best to not make noise as she approached. One never knew what sort of people might be hanging around in... where even was she?

She saw an absolute mountain of a man. Even with her magically enhanced strength and speed she was a little apprehensive. He looked like he could snap a bear in half. A small bear, at least. Her stomach growled again, more insistent.

What the hell, if he gave her any trouble she could always use the old Melody charm.

She stepped forward into the firelight. "Hi, uh, sir," she began. "Mind if a fellow traveller shares your fire? It's sure to be a cold night." It wasn't, but she didn't know that. The point was he would seem awfully rude to refuse her.

By the gods...!

He knew very little of his whole history, he knew that. But he was sure he hadn't gotten this far in life by being such a fool. He'd engrossed himself so much in the serenity of the night that he had totally failed to keep a close ear on the surround. Or at least that's how it seemed. It was possible that this person who had caught him unawares was some kind of spellcaster, or exceptionally nimble. Either way, whoever they were, their sudden introduction startled him - to say the least.

With speed that was likely frightening to see from a man of his stature, he grabbed his nearby spear and jolted to his feet, bearing the weapon toward where the voice had come.

"Mind if a fellow traveller shares your fire? It's sure to be a cold night."

He hesitated, quite uncertain if what he saw before him was some sort of illusion, or a trick being played by a nearby group of bandits. He listened carefully, and when he was quite certain that she was alone he decided to speak, easing his posture but keeping the spear at the ready.

"Are... you alone?"

If she was, then it would not do for her to be out in these parts all alone. Well, in truth, if he knew anything about these parts, well, he was unfortunate that he could not remember any of it - all the more reason for him to grant her his company, and with it, his protection.

"I would be pleased to share my bounty with another, fellow traveller."

He was more than a traveler. He was a warrior. Though at the time he wore little more than leather trousers and a white linen top, the pile of glimmering, just polished armor resting just near to where he had sat was a sure indication. This man was bred for killing. And he was accustomed to it. But he was not accustomed to letting ladies travel alone through the night - despite how many insisted on it these days.

Rämna Sisters

• Bless
She stepped back as Andonis rose to his full height with surprising speed. She hadn't meant to startle him but she probably should have expected this reaction. The countryside was not a kind place, especially at night. She could see the armor glimmering in the firelight, now that he had moved from in front of it, and the spear was a handsome weapon. What battle was he leaving for or returning from, she wondered?

I'm never truly alone, she thought at his question.

"Yes," she answered, in as calming a voice as she could manage, and he seemed to soften a bit. Most importantly, he offered her food. "Thank you!" she said, a little too emphatically.

She moved closer, keeping her hands visible (he was a bit jumpy, after all) and took a seat nearby beside the fire, leaning back on her hands. "I apparently didn't pack enough food for my journey." Another anomaly that her sister had been so careless.

Her eyes poured over the cooking meat, and her mouth watered even more. It wasn't ready yet, though, and the silence was beginning to get awkward.

"So... uh... where you coming from?" she asked. She didn't really know how to make small talk, but she was so starved for human interaction that she would take whatever she could get.

• Yay
Reactions: Andonis Iraklidis
He watched her as she made her way close to the fire, and made herself comfortable. He too, chose to do the same. He let out a bit of a sigh as he sat back down, and returned to tending the hog.

...just a few more minutes...

That carried on for a time, and they sat in relative silence all the while. His eyes did not stare, but always glanced by her - with dwindling frequency. By now, she seemed quite harmless to him. He found contentment with her company.

"So... uh... where you coming from?"

He thought for a moment, unsure whether he should reveal himself or not... but at this point, there was little to gain by lying. Nor did he think it the proper thing to do. She was a lady, after all. A young lady from what he could see, yes, but a lady all the same. He nodded. He certainly could not lie then.

"I come from a prison, some leagues from here. Before that, I do not remember... I woke in there, unsure of... how long, or even why." He shook his head, "I still do not know."

He stood, and moved to take the hog from its place. It was ready. He hoisted it up off the flame, his size making task a simple one. He took it to another makeshift stand he'd crafted, made of large sticks and bound with vine. He set it there, and drew out a long knife and cut into the meat.

He tasted it, gave a hearty groan of delight, and chuckled, "oh, you'll like this. Come."

He began to cut her some.

• Yay
Melody got up excitedly for her share of the hog. It was absolutely divine. Hot, juicy, tender, the taste of fire and the wild. She hummed with her first bite. "Oh, that is so. Good! You are truly an excellent cook," she said with a wry smile and a glance from the corner of her eye. Andonis looked like anything but a cook, but he could roast a mean hog.

After she had sated her initial cravings, she asked a question that had been on her mind. "People don't normally 'come from' a prison, in my experience," she mumbled through her food. She swallowed so as to finish her sentence more politely. "Did they let you, or did you decide on your own it was time to leave?" She eyed the heavy armor and spear once more. A man such as this would have no trouble breaking out of jail.

"Doesn't matter to me," she quickly clarified, "Do you... remember leaving?"

What were the odds that the two of them were in this place together, each with no knowledge of why they had come. Well... she at least knew that her sister had come here only to collapse on the road at sundown. Foolish Faith, she knew the transition could be...rocky when it happened to an awake mind.

• Yay

He nodded approvingly at her remark. Indeed, it was very good. In truth, he couldn't rightfully remember where or how he ever learned to to come up with such a dish - perhaps years travelling as a soldier had prompted the need for him to cook his own meals.

Who knew at this point? Regardless, it was good, and both of them it seemed were quite ready for a feast.

"People don't normally 'come from' a prison, in my experience,"

Swallowing back most of his mouthful, he let out a chuckle, "No, I suppose not."

He was glad to hear that it made no real difference to her, the nature of his departure from the prison. He remembered bits and pieces, but his memory still seemed to be repairing itself to retain things. He had little more than vague images and impressions, but he remembered that he didn't belong there.

"I don't fully recall leaving... I do know it wasn't... pretty." He'd spilled blood that day, he remembered that much. His eyes came to meet hers, a determined and earnest stare, "but I am no danger to you. I have no desire to harm anyone, save for on the battlefield where one's eyes can behold their own demise - knowing full well all along that it could be."

Then his eyes cast to the fire in a quiet recollection. Of what? Memories he didn't have, not anymore, hard as he tried.

"I am not a criminal."

A moment passed.

"Andonis. My name is Andonis.

Where are you from?"

• Yay
"Well that's good to know," she said with a sideways smile. "Although I suppose if you were a danger you'd already have tried something. I'm no stranger to a fight myself, as it happens." She had no shining armor nor steel weapons, but she had other tricks up her sleeve.

I am not a criminal.

Melody saw the conviction in his eyes. This was a man with principles, ideals, and quite possibly a code. That didn't always mean one was on the right side of the law, of course, but when he insisted he was not a criminal, she believed him.

"Melody," she replied, giving her own name. Faith would surely have been appalled that she had forgotten to introduce herself right away. "I haven't been 'from' anywhere in a long time. We... I mean I, am a traveller. I come and go where I please." A half truth, it was mostly Faith who determined where they went, being in control most of the time. She would go wherever she thought she could do the most good and help the most people. Melody was just grateful when that place also happened to have taverns.

"But I was born outside Alliria. On a small farm." She had been very young when she left for the convent, but she had a few fond memories of her first home.

She finished her meat and let it settle, enjoying the warm fullness that came with it. The stars had begun to peak out from the blue-black sky.

"So..." She began, unsure of how to start this particular conversation. "You really don't remember anything from before the prison?"

• Yay

"I'm pleased to meet you, Melody," he nodded his head cordially, the ate some more.

He nodded along as though he hadn't caught her slip - but he didn't fathom anything nefarious as a band of thieves closingbin around him. Perhaps a former lover, or a friend who she'd recently be made seperate from - judging from her hurried correction. She seemed an honest enough girl- lady.

"Ah, Alliria," he canted his head up as though expressing a familiarity - if there was one he didn't know. Uhh, I've heard of it.

He continued to eat long after her, for likely obvious reasons. In truth, he felt like he could lick this entire carcass clean, but he'd likely enjoy a little more in the morning. His new friend, too.

"So..." She began, unsure of how to start this particular conversation. "You really don't remember anything from before the prison?"

An affirming nod. It was true, as of yet any memory of his life prior to his imprisonment was gone. From time to time, he would see things. He would remember images, feelings, a few phrases, but nothing coherent - and not to any sufficient extent.

"No... I'm afraid not much. I remember... marching, alongside ranks of men." He chuckled, "very few were as tall as I," he leaned back on one arm, "I remember, lush fields of wheat. I remember clean villages, and friendly folk... happy, to see me."

His eyes wandered to and fro, searching for more memory to share, "I also remember bloodshed, and war..." he bit from a leg-bone, "...but no names. Not places, people... only mine."

His eyes cast down, and then he looked up and offered a false, well, half genuine smile, "and now yours."

• Yay
So he had been a soldier. It made sense, given his gear and demeanor. He had been quite chivalrous after all. It was a pitiful truth that “not assaulting her” was equated with chivalry, but such was the case in the dark woods. He had also offered her food and warmth. His memories might be gone, but his values appeared intact.

She looked at him in the firelight, the shadows of his face deepened by the crackling orange. He bore the marks of a difficult life, although it was clear he had always been quite handsome. Were Melody but ten years older, she may have had additional motives for seeking his company.

”It sounds like you were a welcome sight to poor farmers,” she commented. ”Maybe you protected them from bandits, or worse.” She had been fortunate not to witness any raids on her own village when she had been a child, but she had been taken away very young. In the years since setting off on her own she had become well acquainted with what men were willing to do to one another in pursuit of greed, lust, and power.

”It’s funny,” she began, nervously, ”But... I don’t really remember how I got here either. There’s a... a gap, up until tonight. I don’t really know how far back it goes. I do know I must have come here in a hurry, though.” Her ears perked up as she thought about this, listening for any potential followers that Faith may have been running from. It seemed the most likely explanation for why she couldn’t find shelter before sundown. ”Kind of funny... neither of us really knows why we’re here, huh?”

• Love

He nodded along with her assumptions. He too had drawn the same conclusions. He had been a welcome sight to many of those he remembered - which didn't say much, but at least they weren't images of fear filled faces...

He wondered what he would think if they were?

”It’s funny,” she began, nervously, ”But... I don’t really remember how I got here either. There’s a... a gap, up until tonight. I don’t really know how far back it goes...
...Kind of funny... neither of us really knows why we’re here, huh?”

His attention was certainly piqued at her mention of a similar lack of recollection. He nodded with interest, all too familiar with the uncertainty and anxiety such a happening could cause. He imagined for a girl- lady, it might even be more frightening. Depending on the lady, he supposed. But Melody didn't seem terribly thrilled about it, and quite frankly neither was he especially once she'd changed her tone, and seemed more concerned with the surround.

Instinctively he wanted to look, but first he listened. Hearing little more than the fire and water, he hazarded a quick glance around. Mentally he shrugged, and he turned to look at her again.

"Do you think you've been in trouble? Are you harmed?"

Melody felt a little bit less paranoid when he, too, checked their surroundings. She hoped she had not brought pursuers upon Andonis, he had been very kind after all. Although, truth be told, if someone was following her she would much rather have this giant by her side.

"I... don't think so," she replied, doing a quick mental check of her body. Nothing felt injured. She was thirsty after the meat, and her feet were a little bit sore, but nothing out of the ordinary for someone who had presumably just walked a great distance.

It suddenly struck her that something was amiss. Her reserves of divine power were shockingly low. She hadn't noticed before, maybe her hunger had overshadowed it, but it was very obvious once she thought about it.

Of the two of them, only Faith was gifted with divine favor. She prayed each morning, and each morning this granted her an ample but finite supply of power. She would use this throughout the day to heal and shield the needy (or herself, if necessary). Usually she did not consume all of this power, and so on the rare occasions that Melody awoke, she had some leftovers to play with.

But tonight... there was barely a spark. Faith had consumed almost all of her magic within twelve hours. Melody could not recall a time when this had happened. She had always been left something. The worry that had been creeping at the edges of her mind now began to migrate inwards.

Her tone shifted. It was no longer light hearted. "I... am afraid I may have been running from something powerful," she said. "Or something that had hurt a lot of people."

She looked behind herself into the fathomless darkness of the woods. Whatever shreds of light had been leftover from the sunset were gone now, and the movement of tree branches in the wind began to sound like shuffling footsteps to her apprehensive ears.

• Yay

His tension eased a bit when she told him she was unharmed. That was a good sign, that meant she likely wasn't in too terrible a trouble - or she was just good at getting away from it. For both their sakes he hoped that she was very good at it. But he couldn't detect anything drawing near, and over the few weeks he could remember he'd learned that his instincts were quite trustworthy. He was more aware of his surroundings than he really realized most times it seemed - likely habits driven in over long years of arduous mastery. He was thankful for that, and probably thankful he didn't remember how grueling it probably had been.

But, he noticed her sudden realization, subtle as it was.

"I... am afraid I may have been running from something powerful," she said. "Or something that had hurt a lot of people."

Now he hadn't known her very long, but in the short time they'd been acquainted he didn't see her to be the lying sort. Or one to embellish stories. For whatever reason - likely a slow recollection of memories, or something of the sort - she made these claims. He rose to his feet, and gathered up his sword. He had a large knife as well. He walked over to Melody, his feet falling heavy upon the beaten ground.

"Well, if that is the truth - then you'd best have something on you. Take this, if you have nothing," and then he returned and sat near to where he had been before, but somewhat closer. He still kept a respectable distance, but drew closer more for her comfort - or to at least attempt a comforting presence, "if you are tired, I can stand watch. To be quite honest, I hadn't planned to sleep tonight... it was an interesting day," he chuckled, trying to lighten her mood.

He was still quite confident that they were safe. For now.

Melody took the heavy knife from his hands. It was simple and sharp, made not for form or art, but pure function. ”Thank you,” she said, turning the blade over in her hands, admiring the shining steel in the firelight. It felt good in her hands. Sturdy. Faith did not carry weapons, and so Melody usually resorted to fists and feet, and bursts of searing light when she had the energy.

He returned to his seat, but closer. She didn’t mind, he had proven himself to not be a threat. Quite the opposite, really, if her suspicions of the day’s events were true.

”Oh, I don’t… I rarely sleep at night,” she said. It wasn’t a lie of course, but it hadn’t been the most eloquent thing to say. Would he wonder if she slept during the day, then? She couldn’t very well say “oh no, my sister takes over my body and walks about during the day.” She had just gained his trust, she didn’t want him to think her absolutely mad.

The wind in the trees still bothered her. It sounded… familiar? She wracked her memory. Sometimes she could hear things, sense things, when she was “asleep.” Had Faith encountered something that sounded like rustling leaves? Something that moved softly and slowly?

”Tell me about it,” she said, eager to change the subject. ”Your day. It must be quite the story. Did you… encounter any trouble on the road?” She fished for clues as to what could be out here.

• Love
”Oh, I don’t… I rarely sleep at night,”

His mouth curled downward as he nodded with mild confusion - but he didn't read too far into it. Perhaps her line of work demanded her to be more present in the evening hours. He didn't surmise so much as anything nefarious or, perhaps to some unsavoury. There were many an honest profession tgat required the cover if night.

Mixed with the loss of memory though, he did grow a little concerned. But, he thought perhaps maybe she was suffering due to some stress and a lack of food or water. One of those needs had been met, and so he offered her his canteen. If she usually operated at night then she likely slept through the day.

Maybe she was hungover? Really, he was hardly one to say. All he really knew is she seemed sweet enough to him, and she was nervous about whatever had transpired before now. He would keep up his guard and remain alert should anything draw near.

He too heard the rustling leaves, but thought little of it.

”Tell me about it,” she said, eager to change the subject. ”Your day. It must be quite the story. Did you… encounter any trouble on the road?”

"Ah, well," he started, "the morning was rather uneventful. But just shortly after noon time, I ran into this group of men. They seemed the travelling sort, there was about a dozen of them. But they had this strange carriage - it was covered in dark cloth, as though blocking out the light or stopping one from seeing in."

He grabbed up a bit more food, finding himself a bit hungry yet, "I followed them," he chewed, then swallowed, "for a time. They went on ahead of me a few hours before nightfall. But, I could have sworn that I saw tracks from a carriage leading into the woods, some ways back - just a short while from where I had lost sight of them. Only, the tracks led right into a row of trees a carriage would never pass between," he shrugged, "they gave me an odd feeling. Didn't show their faces, and... were just odd... I found it very unsettling, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Have you ever heard of things vanishing into thin air like that?"

• Scared
Melody was unsettled by his story. A carriage with a faceless rider going into places no carriage should was not the sort of thing that comforted one in the dark. She unconsciously drew her traveling cloak tighter around her shoulders. "No... I haven't. Maybe they stopped off the road and got back on somewhere else?" Very unlikely, but she wanted there to be a reasonable explanation.

As she did she heard a crinkle from a breast pocket. What could that be? Confused, she reached into a breast pocket and found a crumpled piece of paper. She unfurled it, tilting it so she could read it in the orange glow.

Light. Fire. Brain.

Melody had no idea what this meant. It was Faith's handwriting, that was certain, but what the hell was she talking about? Was this a list for some spell? She looked up at her companion. May as well, not like she had any other ideas.

"Does this mean anything to you?" she asked, handing the bit of paper to time.

• Yay
"Yes... yes I suppose that is likely true."

It didn't quite satisfy him, but he too had thought that. But, it had all given him such a strange feeling. Like his eyes had been playing some kind of trick on him. What manner of person hid themselves behind carriage snd curtain in such a way. He supposed it was of no concern.

He took the paper, and examined it. He could read it! All of it! All three words! While it didn't seem like much, it was the first attempt he'd had since the prison at reading something.

Well. He knew the words well enough on their own, but together like this he couldn't make heads or tails of it.

"Well, I..." he looked at it closer, as if thinking to look for some hidden inscription or the like, "...I don't have any idea."

• Yay
This entire evening was very strange. Melody did not usually concern herself with what Faith had or had not done during the day. To be honest, she usually just didn't care. Faith kept her in the dark for so long, it was only fair that Melody should live her own life the few chances she got, right?

But this was just wrong. Waking up in the road. Alright, by itself that could possible be explained. The lack of magic? Again, by itself, not difficult to justify. But both of these things, and now a cryptic note? Faith, are you there? No reply. Her sister was asleep, and it would take more to wake her.

It at least made her feel a little less crazy when Andonis also had no clue what Faith had meant. Light and fire could be tools of her healing trade but... brain?? That was odd.

Why did she feel so nervous? There was nothing around, it was calm... quiet...

Quiet.

There was no sound. A few minutes ago there had been crickets, frogs, a few calls of the nightjars, but now there was nothing. Just quiet. Dead quiet.

She stood. "Something is here." A twig snapped in the dark.

• Love
He continued to examine the paper for a time. He thought maybe he looked a little foolish for looking at three words for quite as much time as he did - but something told him that there were often things hidden messages like this. For the life of him he just couldn't remember what. He couldn't see any other, hidden markings of any sort - not visible to the eye at least. Perhaps it was the arrangement of the words?

Light.

Then fire.

Then brain.

"What doesn't like light, or fire? or... thinking...?" he kind of whispered that last bit, thinking it sounded a bit silly.

Light, and fire, kills the brain? No, that's not it. Then she stood, and his head snapped to attention to regard her.

Then he heard the twig snap, and like before when she had first came he grabbed up his spear and readied himself. Only this time he drew close to Melody, and put himself between the dark of night and her. With the light of the fire he could see a fair ways, but he couldn't see anything. At least not yet, but he was certain, both with her intuition and the sound of the twig. One did not usually get spooked from the presence of wildlife, not before knowledge of their presence, be it hearing it or otherwise.

It was often something more... sentient, that you perceived through the night.

He knew this, though through what means or what training he did not know. He only knew that that was his instinct, and that there must indeed be someone, or something, out there. He wished to call out, but for the sake of his companion he did not - not yet, first turning to her to alert her of his intent with a determined stare and a nod, before yelling out into the dark.

"Who are you, show yourself!"
His roars were unlike the gentle tone he had chosen to speak to her in, more befitting and man of his beastly stature.

• Bless
She was grateful when Andonis positioned his massive body between her and whatever lurked in the dark. Normally she would never shy from a fight, she usually sought them out as entertainment, but being almost entirely drained of divine power changed things. She was still strong, she was still quick, both moreso than one would guess based on her appearance, but without her sister's blessings she was quite human. More importantly, without any magic left, her sister could not save her if she were injured. The prayer ritual had to be done in the morning. Faith did not need to be in the sunlight, but the sun needed to be up.

Andonis bellowed, and she could feel the soldier in him come to life. Any bandits with half a mind would have turned and fled at his voice, even the greater beasts of the woods should have shied away. She listened as hard as she could and heard... nothing.

Perhaps it had just been a deer, or a fox, or any other woodland creature. Maybe it had been a coincidence that the animals had gone silent.

She was about to chock it all up to frayed nerves, when she saw something between the trees. It was a shadow amidst shadows. An uneven, poorly-defined silhouette of utter black against lesser black. As they approached, the firelight began to reveal them.

It was a person in a long traveling cloak, not unlike the one that Melody wore. The hood was drawn and the figure advanced very slowly. They made no sound, barely a rustle on the ground.

They were creepy, but nothing she and Andonis couldn't handle. Her fear dissipated, replaced by annoyance at being stalked. "Hey! We see you! Tell us what you're up to!" she called.

No answer. The figure simply advanced. They stepped fully into the firelight, and Melody's fear returned tenfold.

Within the hood was a woman's face. Or.... what used to be a woman's face. The skin had been torn away from one side, and the exposed jaws hung slack, the naked eyeball staring blindly forwards. She had other wounds, deep cuts and slashes and a clearly broken nose. As the creature approached Andonis, it slowly reached out its hands. The cloak opened and revealed a mangled corpse beneath, yet still it moved.

"The fuck is that?!" Melody cried out in a hoarse whimper. She stepped back and had to catch herself before she walked right through the fire to get away from the monster.

• Scared
Andonis took a step back. The sight of this person was absolutely terrifying. He couldn't quite understand how someone could have such injuries and not be simply stricken with pain. And yet, this woman approached them without so much as a greeting.

"Are you alright?"

His call went unanswered.

As it approached he recoiled, he checked Melody to ensure that she too fled, and he surrendered a few paces to the unknown person.

"State your business! Are you injured? Can we help you?"

This would be his last warning. Without anything else to go on, his duty now was to protect Melody who was now - in his mind - under such protection as his guest. So, if this newcomer did not reapond, then he would be forced to put his merits to good use.

• Wonder
The woman, no, the monster continued to lurch forwards. They did not answer, they simply reached out for Andonis with bloodied fingers. Their jaw swung open and hung loose, and a barely audible groan escaped from somewhere in their throat. As soon as it was in range of him, it lunged forwards and tried to grab at him and bite.

From behind the cloaked corpse, two more shadows emerged from the dark. They ambled as slowly as the first. Melody's heart raced. What were these creatures? Were these what Faith had been running from?

Melody felt utterly useless. She carried no weapons, despite her repeated recommendations to Faith to at least have a knife on her belt, and she couldn't use any magic right now. She was lucky to have a large and chivalrous knight to hide behind, but she did not like needing to do so. It made her feel weak, burdensome.

She reached down and picked up a burning stick from the fire. It was the best she could think of at the time.

• Yay
As the first, unspoken foe lurched forward he leaned into it with his spear. It tore through, and with his great leg he landed a heavy boot to shed the spear of the still writhing attacker. It fell back in a heap, but seemed more or less unphased by his attack as it reached to climb back to its feet. He surrendered more ground, ushering Melody behind him still.

They reached his gear, and he exchanged his spear for his broadsword with a quick kneel. Then he leapt forward to attack the second, severing its arm and dropping it with a forceful punch - but again, it still moved.

And again, he pulled back.

"Who... what are these things!?"

There was no accusation in his voice, only a desperation. How could he fight something he could not hurt? That felt no pain? He'd plunged his spear deep through that ones chest, surely destroying its heart.

And yet there it was, now behind the two others, but back to its feet, lumbering forward again.

• Cthuloo
What terrified Melody most was the silence. These... things did not react to being stabbed, sliced, or beaten. They would fall to the ground and get right back up as if nothing had happened. Little to no blood fell from their wounds, it was as if they had already been bled dry.

"They must be what Faith was running from!" Melody answered back, too panicked to remember to lie about their identities.

She heard a noise across the fire from her, and she called out in surprise to see another monster ambling towards her from behind. She swatted it with the burning stick, a blow that would break the jaw of most men, but it continued forwards, its head now twisted to the side. She jabbed at its middle and the stick was buried in the soft, decaying flesh. The embers caught, and flames began to spread from the injury.

Now there was sound. An eldritch shriek came from the creature, though surely no human vocal chords could produce such sounds. It crumpled and writhed on the ground as the flames spread across its body.

Finally recognition came. Fire.... light, fire, brain!! Suddenly Faith's note made sense.

"Burn them!" she yelled. "Or-or hit them in the head! Destroy their brain!" Light they didn't have aside from the fire, so that is what they would need to use. Melody pulled the stick from the shriveling corpse and plunged it back into the fire, letting it burn hotter.

Removing it, she lunged forwards and swung down onto one of the creatures attacking Andonis, hitting it to the ground and beating it until it took began to burn.

• Bless
At her behest he did exactly what she demanded. With a great swing he severed one of their heads, and the creature toppled into the motionless heap.

He moved to react to another, but to his relief Melody had taken to battering the encroaching monster before it reached him. He likely wouldn't have turned in time. So in kind he too attacked another of the creatures that drew closer to her, and he swung his sword down to cleave the monster's skull in two and finish it with another monstrous kick. It too, crumpled.

He drew near the fire, and tempted the flames with a sweeping kick to spread out a few burning logs and hot coals to hopefully spread the fire to their advantage.

He felled one more creature and then yelled out, "where is this Faith now?"

He still assumed Melody trustworthy, that she had only reserved mention for having been guilt ridden by some likely unknown fate that had befallen this friend of hers. But maybe they'd only been seperated? He had no clue, but she fought alongside him now so there was currently no apparent need or time to afford much further consideration.