Private Tales A new magick

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
G

Gurnam

Gurnam sat down at his desk, his excavation was a success, even more of one than he had hoped. He simply wanted to find some magical history, but ended up discovering a forgotten magic, nothing like that of the magic now commonly used throughout the continent.

He had acquired scrolls, an entire library of them. He was now practically, and literally, living in the library. He took note of and labelled each scroll in order to keep track of the several hundred discovered. One of these scrolls rested on the desk in front of him, a scroll he had been translating for the past few days, his findings were groundbreaking to put it simply.

He was reading into the "elemental magicks". A type of magic no longer known to the world. In his excitement at discovering this magic, he had written to a somewhat well-known sorcerer who was rather interested in his findings. Said sorcerer should be arriving any minute now.

• Yay
Reactions: Quoril
Quoril was ecstatic when he received a letter from a man named Gurnam. The letter told of how he had discovered an ancient long forgotten type of magic that wasn’t like any other known in Arethil. Quoril was always eager to learn about new and different types of magic so he saw this as a great opportunity.

The journey had taken Quoril a few days, but he was now standing in front of the building where Gurnam had said to meet him. The elf knocked on the door, and a few seconds later Gurnam opened it, revealing a room with the walls covered in shelves. On each shelf sat a large pile of scrolls, each one neatly labeled.

“H-Hello. I’m Quoril. It’s nice to meet you, and I can’t wait to see what you’ve discovered so far!”

"Ah, Quoril. It's good to meet you in person. Come in, come." He says motioning Quoril inside. Once he was in the well lit, ancient library he would be able to see Gurnam in better detail. He was a tall, human sorcerer with firm, broad features. He wore clothing that didn't really qualify as the typical robe that many mages wore. He wore clothing of leather and linen, mostly brown and tan. The tunic was an open front, cross over cloth with a hood just deep enough to hide his eyes, which if one looked at at the right angle, would seem to have a soft glow to them. He wore a knee length, open front skirt of brown linen, underneath which were tan linen pants tucked into tall leather boots. Slung over his shoulder was a satchel used to carry a couple of books and some glass vials.

"It's good to have you here. This research has been promising but rather difficult to conduct. Every scroll here is written in one of six languages, none of which are known to me or any linguist I have contacted. I've had to delve deeper in search of possible ways of deciphering the texts, and there has been some success. I tried reading the text from one of the scrolls, and the fireplace roared up, so I began to experiment, and as it turns out, four of the six languages correspond to the four basic elements. The other two languages are yet to be understood."

The entire time he was talking he was bringing Quoril to the several tables he had lined with various scrolls and notes.

• Yay
The man before him wasn’t dressed like any other mage Quoril had ever met. Instead of the common robe, he wore a tunic, with a hood just barely big enough to cover his eyes. Along with the tunic he also was clothed in tan pants that were pushed into leather boots. Around his waist there was a skirt of sorts. Quoril felt the urge to ask him why he didn’t wear the typical robes of a mage, but didn’t want to be rude. He also realized that he didn't wear a robe either - just a common linen shirt and pants, slightly worn leather boots, and a traveler's cloak.

Quoril followed Gurnam around the room wide-eyed. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Elemental languages? And not just one or two, but six? The elf looked at the piles of scrolls and could barely contain his excitement. There was so much information about the languages that still needed to be translated and tested.

“So where do I start?” Quoril asked eagerly.

"Well first, let's get you caught up on the basic idea of what I've discovered so far. As I said, six languages, each used to manipulate an element. I've labeled each scroll with three letters of the same colour, the colours indicate the element. Red for fire, blue for water, brown for earth and pale blue for air, the black letters indicate that they are undetermined. Here are the four most basic scrolls I have found, the text is mostly in the old language, something us scholars know well, but the bits that are written in one of the elemental languages are the actual spell. Let's start with earth."

• Yay
Quoril opened up the scroll. It had been a good bit since he had read anything in the old language. He remembered his father teaching him how to read it when he was younger. He also remembered how long it took to learn it all.

Reading was slow at first, but the more he read, the easier it became. As he read the part written in brown, the small amount of dirt and sand in the room floated towards him. It swirled around in and compacted into a small ball of earth. After finishing the passage marked as “earth”, Quoril stopped reading. The ball immediately dropped down onto the table in front of him and disintegrated back into a pile of dirt and sand.

“Amazing!” Quoril said quietly. He tried to think of a way to accomplish the same effect with his own magic, but realized it fell short. “What’s next?” he asked excitedly.

"Well that is the most basic of the earth spells. That I have found anyway. You see, each element has written spells, while we can certainly just come up with sentences in each language instructing the element to do something, the spells already written help save us trouble. But I also found that each element is stronger with more of it present in the environment. So a swamp would have very strong earth and water elements, so earth and water spells would be stronger there than in say a desert, a lot of earth around, but water spells would be next to useless. So let's look at some of the stronger earth spells, one in particular has a lot of potential if we can master it, if we do it will mean that construction and landscaping will go much smoother. It's an earthshaping spell, one that lets you shape the ground in any way you choose, guided with your mind. I have a small patch of dirt outside for practicing." He says excitedly, leading Quoril out while grabbing a labelled scroll along the way.