Private Tales A Hand in the Dark

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Rhys

Oneiromancer
Character Biography
Link
“We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?” -Ursula K. LeGuin

Four months. Rhys opened his eyes as the early light of dawn crept through the small window at the top of his chamber. Had it truly been four months? He sat up, looking himself over, searching for some noticeable transformation. But little had changed. In his time since his return to Elbion he had discovered that freedom was merely the power to define one’s own cages. The view differed little, and the fear was ever-present.

He reached for his cane and stood with only a little difficulty. The one-room chamber he rented was ill-kept and littered with clothes in varying degrees of cleanliness. A pile of journals lay on the floor, once written in daily, now gathering dust. As was his habit, he dressed and left early, when as few people as possible would be in the halls.

Rhys had never avoided people Before, and he was conscious of this shift in his behavior. But his peers carried expectations he feared he could no longer meet, and he was not strong enough to bear the strain of constant disappointment. His former colleagues knew that Rhys’s poor mobility was the price for his magic, and they muttered disapprovingly as he walked by with hardly any reliance on his cane. After all, why board at the most prestigious magical college in the realm and not use magic? Rhys could hardly disagree with them...

Except for the books.

It was the college’s vast library that drew him. Books were his Trap; his weakness. He spent day after day, hour upon hour reading, his well-honed skills growing stagnant without purpose. And yet it was a place where he belonged. By now he knew the stacks better than many of the librarians, and they welcomed his knowledge with open arms. He brought in his tea and breakfast each morning; strictly forbidden, yet the last student who had called him out for this behavior had received detention for raising his voice in the library. Rhys’s daily studies were interrupted by requests to locate texts, authors of half-remembered passages, or references for research projects. He recognized that these interactions were to his benefit, and complied with them amiably. And though he cast his eyes downward and spoke but little and softly, with each request he held a small hope that someone would ask him for something other than a book, extending a hand in the darkness.

Kara Orin

• Yay
Reactions: Kara Orin
Then, Kara stood in front of Rhys. She held a piece of paper in one hand. She wore a typical cloak for a College student. Though such would have been easily apparent with Kara being half Rhys’s age. She sported a neutral face.

Kara visited the College’s library from time to time in the past. During her time in the library, she normally jotted notes from books.

Not extended the metaphorical hand Rhys may have needed, Kara asked him with a hushed voice, “Would you know where I could find Muinil’s Treatise for Magi-Metallurgy?

The book Kara sought for was just as it sounded like. It went into extreme detail on different types of metals with magical properties. It also covered several ways to smelt these metals and what components were required. However, Muinil was a relatively minor name in such a field and the book was dated to some time in the Age of Wonders.

Rhys was sitting on the library’s stone floor, reading with his back against the stacks, when a small voice hailed him from above. He looked up into a pair of young, blue eyes.

“Would you know where I could find Muinil’s Treatise for Magi-Metallurgy?” the student asked.

His thoughts shifted, returning from the depths of some great history to the reality of the cool and dusty library. The interruption was a welcome one; his back and legs had grown stiff against the hard floor. Muinil... Rhys considered, searching his memory. A dwarven family name, and one he’d seen referenced in various histories, though he’d not read any of the works himself. It would be an older text, and he assumed not one of the immaculately organized translations that the librarians kept on the first-floor stacks a few shelves over, or the student wouldn’t be asking for help. That left the Collections archive on the third floor.

“That’s not an easy one to find, is it?” he observed, putting down his book and standing slowly, leaning on his cane. “Follow me, I have an idea where it might be,” he said, leading the way down the hall to the stairs.

They emerged on the third floor, and Rhys led the way to the Collections room. It was empty - no students were studying at the many tables, and none of the curators were about this morning. He turned to the blue-eyed student. “The college is famous for its collections, but each professor and research student who contributes books to the archives is assigned their own section of shelves. Once their projects are complete everything is sorted into the library’s main collection, but organizing, re-copying, and translating everything here is low on the staff’s priority list since hardly anyone has use for these books. There are some gems in here, though, if you know where to look,” he said with a fond smile.

He made his way between two shelves on the left side of the room. “Professor Parody retired more than 10 years ago. I met her once when I was a student, she had a reputation for being an eccentric old bat. She had horrible scars from chemical burns, and I do believe she enjoyed scaring the daylight out of the first-years. Her research focused on magi-kinetics, and her levitation and manipulation control were unparalleled. She did quite a bit of work with materials, most especially ceramics, but I recall several shelves of older texts from around the Age of Wonders pertaining to metals, some of which I believe she brought back from her years in Belgrath...”

It took several minutes of searching, for the professor’s books were not arranged in any particular order (likely in the order she’d collected them). Rhys muttered the titles of the dwarven texts as he scanned them (fluently) until he found the one they sought. He brought it down from a high shelf, and passed it to the young woman.

“Here you are, then,” he said, smiling graciously.

• Yay
“That’s not an easy one to find, is it?” Rhys replied. Kara responded with a shake of her head.

Then, Kara followed Rhys’s lead to the third floor. She scanned the empty tables. She turned to Rhys as he explained the collection of professors’ books.

“There are some gems in her, though, if you know where to look,” Rhys told her with a fond smile.

With a flat tone, Kara tersely replied with, “Yes.

Once they reached Professor Parody’s shelves, Kara began to scan the books of Parody’s collection. She brushed the spine of a book titled Dynamics.

Kara’s attention returned to Rhys when he reached up to a high self and grabbed a book. She accepted the book from Rhys.

"Thank you," Kara told Rhys as she looked at the book's cover.

Muinil’s name could be seen on the leather along with the title Treatise for Magi-Metallurgy – at least, in dwarven text. Kara carefully opened the book and flipped through a few pages. She stopped on one and examined it for a moment.

With a sigh, Kara closed the book and asked Rhys, “Is there a dwarven dictionary available?

Rhys

Rhys ran a hand through his mess of red hair, disconcerted at the thought of the student attempting to translate a volume as complex as Muinil’s Treatise with a dictionary. “Eh,” he stuttered, panicking on her behalf, “Well, yes... we can find you one, I suppose. But, perhaps... um, that is, would you perhaps like some help? What information about ancient metallurgy interests you?”

Kara Orin

• Yay
In response, Kara’s lips shifted to a slight frown. Her eyebrows narrowed. Her fingers rapped on the book cover a couple times.

Then, Kara reopened the book once again. She quickly flipped through the pages.

[I read some dwarven,] Kara told Rhys in the dwarven language. She maintained a thick Elbion accent – dropping the trills that would have been normally pronounced by a dwarf.

Stopping at a certain page, Kara then showed it to Rhys. The pages described the component ratios for star metal – mixing common weapon-grade steel with meteoric iron. The writing was very thorough for each step in the smelting process.

I’d like to verify that this is the right entry,” Kara told Rhys in the common language, “And transcribe it into common.

Rhys