Private Tales A Guardian Slave

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
That was better. The term Mistress made her skin crawl. This day would require a thorough cleansing to rid herself of the horrors - with luck the servants will have mopped up his blood trail by morning. The King would be beside himself for certain, if not.

"Yes?" she inquired gently, "You may speak freely."

• Yay
Reactions: Aka the Slave
Wait, she wanted him to speak freely, he didn’t have that kind of opportunity often. He took a moment to collect his thoughts before finally speaking, placing the blade he still held with him to the sand, hands resting on it in a relaxed fashion.

“What am I to do…” He had a little trouble finding the right words. “Duties, of guarding, I’ve never done it before.” He spoke honestly if not a little basic in his words, in the way that she was having trouble in her newfound position of Mistress, he was having trouble with his newfound position of guard.

• Yay
Reactions: Fieravene
Another fluttering blink, but this time one of consternation. He didn't know how to guard?

"Well I -" she shook her head. This was quite absurd! "How should I know? I'm not a Soldier or a Guard. Sir Malfor should have told you. You... go where I go and stand guard," she couldn't help the edge of her voice. This all seemed rather obvious to her, but she didn't know the nuances of a Guard's duties, she was a Lady of the Court, a Princess, the Guarded. So far as she was concerned, a Redguard was invisible in her day to day routine until such a time that his services were needed.

Looking to Aka with a wilting expression, she surmised his ability to be invisible was quite low. Emmeril gave a curt puff of breath and looked upon him, nonplussed, and then reminded herself that he was a slave up until very recently. It was perhaps not so absurd that he shouldn't know such things.

"Apologies, I do not mean to be short with you. The day has been long and this journey to Elbion troubles me. I will see that Captain Erros of the Redguard spares time for you on the road to speak on your duties in greater detail."

• Yay
“I do not know Mi- My Lady” He still struggled a little with the new designation. “Sir Malfor only told me where I was gon’ sleep…” No doubt Malfor had no desire to spend time with a slave that was to replace him, whether through pride or simple disdain for the brute.

“No need to say sorry to me My Lady.. You ain’t ever wrong.”
He said this almost as if it was rehearsed in a way, as if he had said it so many times it didn’t feel as meaningful anymore. It was ingrained in him to be apologetic, even more so when his Mistress was apologizing to him.

“Thank you, I’ll do my best to get the guardin’ down good.” He said with a solid nod. “And I know one thing of a guard.. Make sure you don’t get hurt, and I vowed you wouldn’t, so you won’t.” He said it with full confidence, whether it was misplaced or not, big as he was, he was still only one man.

• Yay
Reactions: Fieravene
It was a hopeless sort of humor that found itself trapped on her face, "That's...terribly reassuring."

Emmeril couldn't shake the thought that this was all a horrible crisis in the making. Something about it just didn't sit right with her. Be that as it may, most of her life had given her this feeling and after so many years she'd learned to do what must be done to make the best of things. Like call that monstrous man of her husband my love. It was the little things. Always the little things.

"This may be a silly question but ... do you read or write?"

• Yay
The giant of a Komodi gave a half-cocked smile, he wasn’t sure what her intonation truly conveyed but it seemed positive enough. He stood there somewhat awkwardly, he wasn’t used to social occasions at the least and this was as social as it got to him. It would no doubt be quite the obstacle to attend an official affair for one like him.

“No.” He shook his head at her question, he didn’t read nor write. “Slaves don’t need to, My Lady” He added, he figured she might want to know and her lack of knowledge in treating him as slave made him feel like he had to assist her a little.

He gave an idle gaze around. “I made a vow, so whatever you say comes above anyone else… ” He stopped speaking for a moment before adding as if he had forgotten. “My lady.” She wanted him to be a guard, call her as a servant would to a noble, but he wasn’t. Aka didn’t mind though, but he was careful about it since he wasn’t sure what she truly wanted, for all he knew she could be putting up an act to toy with her slave.

"I see..." there were pros and cons to a Guard not being able to read or write. They couldn't steal secrets from letters, nor could they forge them. But there were times when being able to read and write sometimes meant the difference between life and death - such as reading a map, or enacting the will of one's charge through written word. This, she thought to herself, could be an issue.

"Yes...about that," Emmeril lightly clasped her hands at her front and pondered the best way to define the layers of order within Balta.

"In most all scenarios, yes, my word is final. However," a deep sigh, "as the Prince's wife, I am at his call, and he at the call of the King. So while you may uniquely serve me, the Prince's word is law above mine, and the King's word the law above all here in Balta. It can get quite cumbersome at times with three Princes running around and a mostly absentee sovereign ... " she paused, thinking that perhaps she might be speaking a bit too loosely, "well...the King is very busy with all his Kingdom's needs. I shall try to clarify things for you should the need arise."

• Yay
He listened carefully to her words, she seemed to have conflicting opinions about his ability to read and write if her thoughtful expression was anything to go by. Aka may not have been great when it came to social occasions but when your life rests in the hands of others and their moods, you learn to read expressions at least to a certain degree.

“I vowed to you.” He reiterated after she spoke, it was almost as if it didn’t register with him. “I’ve only vowed once in my life, I never got asked to.” He said, as if he was trying to explain something that was rather difficult to explain, he’d never been in a situation like this after all.

“Your word is my law, even if I die, because I vowed.” It was the best way he could show his devotion, he wasn’t sure whether he wanted to be vowed to someone but as a Gladiator he had a strange sense of honour instilled in him. He wanted to be more than he was and at the same time he felt like he never would, but he had promised to himself that he would always keep his word, if he gave it willingly. Admittedly he had given it as a command given by a Master and yet it was hard for him to separate the two, because he felt hopeful perhaps that if she was like this, she didn’t like slavery that he could become more.

“I’ll protect you against anything you want me to.” He finally added, it was an all encompassing statement which he seemed confident about, especially after her words, it wasn’t hard to gauge that he meant he’d even protect her against other masters.

Another sigh, another hopeless smile, "Yes... well, glad we cleared that up. I must ready myself for the evening. The Prince will have his Redguard stationed on watch, you are dismissed for the evening. Rest well, I don't imagine they have a horse large enough for you to ride for this journey."

And indeed they did not.

The caravan marched at dawn, exiting through the northern gates of Balta with a sizeable portion of Balta's army. The Lady traveled in her litter pulled by two horses at the center of the line, the Prince and his retinue rode just ahead, the Redguard rode at all sides with the rest of the forces at the fore and back. Aka was to walk behind the litter where the Redguard Captain met him on his stallion charger.

"By the Gods of Balta, I heard you were big but I never imagined..." the man said from behind his helmet. He was smaller than most of the Redguard, slight in build, a curious appointment for the position, "I am Captain Dremere, the Lady Emmeril requested I speak with you about your duties. I am curious, what is your background?"

• Yay
He gave a single nod. “I'll go sleep, My Lady.” He said as he was dismissed, he still wasn’t sure what to make of it all but it didn’t feel like slavery in Cerak At’Thul, but what it did feel like he had yet to figure out. Aka returned to his room, truth be told the bed was a little small for him but he had decided to try it out at some point and found it a tad more comfortable than the floor.

He woke up before dawn and gathered where he was told, he would have to walk where others would ride but that was probably for the better. The giant had never ridden a horse in the first place, not to mention the fact that he was indeed a little too big for everything except the largest horses.

He gave a bow towards Captain Dremere as he made his introductions. “I am Aka, the Redguard.” He said, after all Lady Emmeril didn’t want him to call himself a slave so he introduced himself as such. Captain Dremere however went on to ask him about his background and for a moment he doubted what he was to say, though if she meant for the Captain to train him, he had to be honest.

“I am a slave fighter from Cerak At’Thul” He knew how to pronounce that name having lived there all of his life. “I don’t know what a redguard does.” He said honestly, he knew that guarding meant to protect someone from harm but even in times like this, where she wasn’t near him it would be difficult. Aka found it difficult to understand how one would protect another when they were not constantly with them.

"Cerak At'Thul," Dremere repeated slowly, seeming to wince slightly, "put a lot of men away to that horrid place. Hopefully no one you knew...either way, comes with the job and Balta's prisons can only hold so many miscreants. Fascinating place if you're only there for the tour," the man gave Aka a pointed glance, "suppose you won the lottery on luck. From slave fighter to Redguard - there's a Bard that sings a song like that somewhere I'm sure."

"So, Redguard. It's not all complicated..." but it did take the better part of a few hours to explain things. Dremere was a patient sort and repeated himself as needed. He never once referred to Aka as a beast or a monster, but did instead use his name.

Aka would later find out once they stopped to make camp for the evening and the Captain removed his helm that he was, in fact, an elf.

They were situated in a valley with small, hilly mountains to the west and a river to the east of them. On the horizon were the golden fields of Whyste, a land that was said to once have been lush meadows and farmlands that stretched for days until the dragons came and burned them all. Now it was naught but soil too dry and infertile to produce anything but the whispering stalks of gilded wheat. The commoners called it the Breadlands.

Aka learned that he was, as Emmeril said, shadow his charge's every move and station himself within every room, just beside the main entrance. He was to be aware of his surroundings, of potential entry and exit points for marauders and foes alike. To give every building, every hall, every chamber, and every road they traveled a keen eye and plan for if the worst should happen. That, in most places of familiarity, it was likely he would be asked to stand guard outside the doors to give his charge privacy, wherein he was to administer what authority given him by his charge to those wishing to enter.

That only another Redguard could relieve him from duty. He was to take his meals in the early hours of the morning and the later hours of the day when he had been relieved. That he was to piss when the chance presented itself as there might be days he would be stationed outside a door for hours on end. He was not to speak unless spoken to and he was not to let himself be distracted from his honored duty.

"It's not the most exciting life, admittedly," said Dremere as he took a seat by the fire and indicated for Aka to join him. Those who marched during the day were to be relieved by those who rode.

"But sometimes, like now, you get to travel to lands you never thought you'd see. From time to time you get to join in epic battles, and - who knows," the elf shrugged as he helped himself to stew cooking over the fire, "do something heroic enough sometimes they put a statue of you in the courtyard ... though usually that's only if you die."

He seemed a little more comfortable with the Captain, mostly because he felt on a more equal level in the way the man treated him and spoke to him. Was he still a slave? It was a question that went through Aka’s mind but he shook away the thought, it didn’t matter.

“Maybe, luck wouldn’t mean being born a slave.” He said with a shrug. “My Lord.” He said, still unsure of whether he was supposed to refer to more people than just them like that, something he was explained during the long hours, he listened as best he could. Truly all the attention to detail and everything that was involved was difficult for Aka to consider, it seemed there were very few places that he was supposed to leave her alone except familiar places.

He seemed a little surprised by the fact that the Captain was an Elf, he had not seen a lot of elves, then again, they weren’t as physically strong so very few ever made it in to slavery and the arena. He took a long look around and took a deep breath, he came here in a cage but he only just realized that he was standing here without chance out in the open world. “It’s amazing.” He said, looking around with an open mouth.

He joined him at the fire, sitting down with some hesitation, the giant sat back, holding his hand behind him to keep him upright.

“I’m good at battle.. I hope I’m good at all that other stuff too.” He said almost idly as he seated himself, he had been walking for a good while and yet he didn’t seem too exhausted. Aka went through training regiments that had many died from exhaustion and other reasons.

He gave a look at the stew and couldn’t help but hear his stomach growl rather loudly. “I’ll die when I die, but I hope I die well.” He said with a smile, it was al he could really hope for being what he was, to die a decent death was all he ever wanted. He had resigned himself to being a slave and still at this moment he felt the same.

“I want to die with glory.” He said, something he felt strongly about as he showed conviction in his voice. “I made a vow, a friend told me that if you make a vow, you have to keep it… So I have to protect her.” He seemed a little flighty or out there as he was thinking to himself, he had not ever sat in such a comfortable situation before with someone that treated him like an equal.

“It’s better than being a slave.” He finally added as an addendum, looking straight at Dremere. “But I may miss the crowds.” Being in the arena was a strange sensation, having hundreds of people cheer for you as a victor, in that moment he felt greater than even a king, he would miss that.

"Lucky has nothing to do with what life you are born into, my very large friend," Captain Dremere shook a hand at the Komodo, "that is what they call fate."

The elf smiled faintly to himself and quietly enjoyed his meal while listening to Aka speak. He suspected that the horned beast of a man would do fine - seemed willing enough to fulfill his role, and there was a spark of something behind those eyes that spoke of something more. It might not be deep intellect, of that Dremere had some doubts, but a heart as big and strong as the body it powered. Heart had a great deal more to do with the way things were than most understood.

"The crowds?" the elf asked, somewhat nonplussed, "So you say, you would miss the cheers for your victories - but do not forget those very same people would cheer for your failure so long as the show was good. Crowds like that are no better than gawking seabirds. They'll squawk at anything if it pleases them."

A glance was given to him and then to the pot of stew, "Eat, Aka, you can't go on with an empty stomach, though I suspect we'll need to make another pot in order to fill your belly. Do you need a bowl? There's one here."

"The Captain is right-" Emmeril said as she walked over to the campfire, traveling cloak swaying at her heels and four on-duty Redguard trailing her stride.

Dremere made to stand as she arrived but she held up a hand to stop him, "It's quite alright. Rest. Eat, please."

"The Lady should not leave her litter, there are dangerous creatures on the road."

"Birmkins and Poolies, I'm told," she smiled faintly, "not the most harrowing length of our journey I think. I'll save being cooped up in that thing for orc territory. May I join your fire, Captain?"

"The Lady is most welcome. I've taken the day to enlighten our new recruit to his duties."

"That is well," Emmeril looked to Aka, still with a measure of uncertainty and still maintaining her distance, but a touch more at ease, "do you feel enlightened, Aka?"

The large Komodi had a little trouble with the concept of luck really, in the end life was just whatever it was. “Fate, am I here because of fate?” He asked the Captain, he didn’t have any core beliefs, no gods to follow. It was simply discouraged among slaves because belief bred hope and bound people together against their masters.

“It is what felt good, It felt good to win.” His only words, he had no deeper thoughts about the matter, he knew if he lost he was naught but a loser but when that is all you have to live for, you learn to embrace it.

It was good the Captain told him to eat, he had been so used to waiting until he was told to that he probably wouldn’t have consider asking even if he was starving. Aka had been delivered meals several times a day while he was given his quarters so he ate because he was alone with his food.

He took a bowl and ate rather greedily, he had no manners whatsoever drinking from the bowl and using his clawed digits to spoon it in to his mouth. “Mm, it’s good.” He said with half a mouth full as some of the liquid dripped down his chin. Aka stopped however as Emmeril joined them, he wiped his mouth on his sleeve and sat visibly straighter for her.

He did however resume eating when she told him he was allowed to. “I’ll kill anything that threatens you My Lady.” He said, in between eating. The giant may not have been the most well educated but when he exclaimed something like that, he did it with such confidence that there was solace in his words.

“I don’t know what enlighten means, but I learned.” He said after considering the exchange and question as best he could. He finished his second bowl in no time and went on to his third, back as a slave it was first come first serve to the food so he was used to scarfing it down with speed.

“I have to check places and stay with you a lot, unless we’re in places you know, then I can wait outside the door.” He thought a little more of what he was told and tried to explain it. “I have to be your shadow.” He grinned at that. “You’ll have a big shadow for a small woman.” It was meant in good spirits, it was the first time he had made a joke, it was probably the relaxed atmosphere and good food that brought it up in him, he then quickly added. “My Lady.” Since he was told to finish his sentences with that and if for a moment, he had forgotten his place.

“I have to make places safe before you go there and… Not let anyone in to see you unless you tell me they can.” The explanation was a rather simplified one, but it seemed he got the basic principle of it, a fast learner for a slave which showed that it wasn’t a lack of intelligence that made him as he was.