Private Tales “Isn’t she’s always like that?”

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Steallaris Salamanca

"hm?"
Character Biography
Link
Stella opened her eyes slowly.

Another day in hell.

She sat up in her bed. It was a small room.

Just large enough to be more “cozy” than “cramped”. Her bed was a full size four poster. A little bigger than a twin, not quite a queen. The bed across from her sat unoccupied. That was what had made this dorm room spacious.

It was meant for two.

“Spacious.” Was also a term Stella used loosely.

Compared to the dormitory’s Pricilla, Melina, and even Eris stayed in..It was a closet. But the fact she had the space to herself made it bearable. It was to be expected. She was in the scholarship dorms after all.

In fact the very reason she was alone in this room. It was because many accepted the offer of scholarship from higher families and simply did not attend in the same way someone saying “come by anytime.” Did not usually mean ANYTIME.

Short of close friends or family possibly.. Her father had been the type when offered something of that kind would show up at midnight. Thus..Stella lay there. Staring at the ceiling. The prospect of another day at this school hanging over her like the blade of the executioner’s axe.

It hadn’t always been this bad.. she wasn’t usually “cheerful.” By any stretch of the imagination.. but she had gone from gloomy, with a soft spoken, sharp wit. To abysmally depressed with a cold, stressed demeanor. Her grades hadn’t slipped, but her teachers had noticed her work beginning to slide in that direction. Things being more hurried, not as neat…

She had never been flashy or glamorous, but wether Stella saw it or not she was attractive in a plain, subtle way. Not that she was gorgeous, but her features weren’t bad. However..she had begun to slip in that as well.

Her raven hair was usually a straight, black sheet of silk hiding half of her face. It was now normally found tied in a messy bun barely covering the tattoos she had just behind her ears on either side of her head. Allowing them to peak out when the bun shifted as she walked or depending on how she sat.

The dark circles under her eyes genuine bags. She sat alone. She either actively avoided Priscilla or quickly found an excuse to scape when her friend did manage to corner her. It had all started a week ago.. ever sense that party Stella had begun to hang around Melina, and Eris.

Well more like Priscilla and Eris had begun to hang around Melina.

Stella simply sat close and usually read or studied quietly.

Her occasional witty comment or clarification on a rumor had won her favor with the group if not simple familiarity and her existence being tolerated.

It suited Stella just fine. Other than Melina occasionally prodding at her to try and find a way to place her in her clutches more firmly... It had been nice.

That week.

It was the week that came after that things got worse. Elex had been waiting for her as She left her greenhouse. Stepping from a shadowy walk way as Stella glanced about.

Almost assured that she had gotten away with exiting her hideaway.

“Busy are we? Mrs.Salamanca?” She asked. The icy venom in her falsely friendly tone froze Stella’s blood in her veins as she slowly turned to find Elexnia standing before her checking her nails casually.

“I..I was just.. m..my..With..T..The..” She stuttered. Elexnia’s predatory grin only widening.

“I was just checking the grounds for eye sores and possible hazards to student safety. This seems to be both..” She said gesturing at the decrepit building behind Stella, barely containing her glee as she watched an already fair skinned Stella find a way to pale a shade whiter.

“Elexnia I will do any.." She began before Elex placed a finger to her lips shushing her.

"No, no..You had chances many times before now. I do not care what proof there is. I know that your behind most of what I squash out of this school." Elex said. Her eyes narrowing.

"And Im done waiting for a chance to catch you red handed. So now we come to the part where your life becomes much more miserable. Until you leave, or we catch you doing something expulsion worthy. Your choice." Elexnia said, and she left.

Stella simply blinked watching her go.

A sinking feeling in her stomach leaving little doubt on the pain to come.

And come it had.

The bullying.

Every visit to the lavatory was marred with a prefect always waiting to make it uncomfortable. Whether physically or just generally embarrassing her.

This continued in the halls. Class and sleep had become her only respite. Preparations had also begun to tear down her old green house sanctum.

It had been donated by a founders family. It had fallen into disrepair as that particular founders family name had fallen from grace a bit but no one had had the heart to tear it down so it had remained...

Until now.

After Elex had called attention to it preparations were being made to tear it down, and a teacher was stationed every period to ensure no student wandered over until it was removed.

Stella had entered one of the schools many common rooms. The one most frequented by her small group was situated closer to the alumni dormitories where the other girls stayed. It was two hallways down for them.

4 floors for her. Butt she didnt mind.

It was a quieter room.

At least after Melina had shooed away her gaggle of admirers and boot lickers..

The others were already there. One couch where Melina sat on one side and the couch opposite where priscilla spread out and took up the entirety of it. Eris perched on the arm of the couch on the side Melina sat on. Leaving Stella to take her place on Melinas left.

She sat quietly and pulled out a book she had been reading. It was a fantasy epic...Admittedly for a slightly younger demographic than Stella, but still well written, Stella found a little warmth in the childish narrative...She slightly smiled. It was about a unicorn named...rain..bow...

Stella opened the book. letting out a whimper that was barely audible, but soul crushing to anyone that heard it. A whimper of pain someone tried to hold in, but it was so powerful its remnant broke through her iron will. She calmly closed the book. Now noticing how light it was. Most of the pages had been torn out.

..Elex or one of her cronies no doubt..

Her hands shook slightly as she shakily placed the book back in her bag. Placing her hands in her lap and calmly died inwardly for a moment before calmly standing and taking her leave.

A nod to Eris and a distracted wave to priscilla before she was off to the library.. Maybe they had another copy...

At this point she was on auto pilot. all of her stress relivers were being stripped from her...Maybe the library could restore her one relief she had left...She didnt notice two girls following her in the hall Elexnias friends.

Rachel and Daria.

As mean as they were pretty.

Elex used them to handle a lot of her dirty work when it came to rivals or just people she didnt like, and Stella was too lost to notice them follow her into the library..

"What?! What do you mean "proper ladies don't wear short dresses"?!" Eris protested. "Look! Its not that short, see?" She pulled on the hem of her dress, stretching it barely down past her knee. "I could care less if some random person saw my underwear. Besides... Showing off that much has led to a few fun nights after leaving the tavern! Not that you would know anything about taking somebody to bed, Mel." Eris teased her new best friend, crossing her arms smugly and leaning back against the wall. Other nobles called it "being easy" and "unladylike", but Eris just called it having fun.

Eris tilted her head towards the entrance as the door swun open. "Hey Salamanca." Her tone was neutral, but not unfriendly. Stella was a curious girl. Always seemed depressed, like she had a tiny stormcloud hanging above her, constantly pouring rain. But she was also highly intelligent and witty, always ready with a correction or remark. Though today, Steallaris struck her as gloomier than usual, but Eris dismissed it a not her problem and leaned against Melina's shoulder.

"Anyway, Mel... You're always lecturing me about how I dress, so let me have some of your old dresses that you don't wear! Shouldn't be too much trouble for the maids to alter them..."

What?! What do you mean proper ladies dont wear short dresses?! Eris protested. Look! Its not that short, see? She pulled on the hem of her dress, stretching it barely down past her knee. I could care less if some random person saw my underwear. Besides... Showing off that much has led to a few fun nights after leaving the tavern! Not that you would know anything about taking somebody to bed, Mel. Eris teased her new best friend, crossing her arms smugly and leaning back against the wall. Other nobles called it being easy and unladylike, but Eris just called it having fun.
Melina gasped in mock shock at her words, "Eris! You're so bad! What would Madam Hurdred think if she heard you say that?"
They'd been nearly constant companions for a while now, and this was an old routine for them.
"... I don't know if I should call you a whore or a slut! At least my husband will have the assurance that his wife was a virgin on our wedding night, I won't have to suffer the shame of being a mistress with a bastard child."
Eris tilted her head towards the entrance as the door swun open. "Hey Salamanca." Her tone was neutral, but not unfriendly. Stella was a curious girl. Always seemed depressed, like she had a tiny stormcloud hanging above her, constantly pouring rain. But she was also highly intelligent and witty, always ready with a correction or remark.
Stella entered the room and Melina gave her a nod, "Good morning miss Salamanca."
In spite of her lack of social prestige, Melina tolerated Stella because she was a good little rumor mill. A useful tool in her growing menagerie of useful young nobles.

And it was clear that she wasn't herself.
Though today, Steallaris struck her as gloomier than usual, but Eris dismissed it a not her problem and leaned against Melinas shoulder.

Anyway, Mel... You're always lecturing me about how I dress, so let me have some of your old dresses that you don't wear! Shouldn't be too much trouble for the maids to alter them...
Melina laughed and rolled her eyes at the suggestion.
"The issue, my dear Miss Fulton, is that you lack subtlety. Knowing just how much skin to show to snare a bo without outing yourself as a prostitute! When you get caught wearing such a short dress, it'll be the etiquette teachers that condemn you, not me."
She wasn't opposed to sharing clothes with Eris, but her clothes were fairly recognizable, even altered she knew that it would either make the other girls mock Eris for having to borrow her clothes, or envious that she gets to share clothes with her. Either outcome wouldn't reflect very well on Melina so she couldn't have that.
"Perhaps you need an expert to attend you on your next visit to the tailor..."

Even distracted as she was with her current conversation, Melina was a woman and thus very attuned to the emotional atmosphere of a room... And it shifted drastically when Stella opened her book.
Melina was immediately on the alert, but Stella recovered quickly enough to hide her despair from her. She was playing it cool and Melina couldn't discern where this sudden emotional shift of the room came from.

But it was rather strange for Stella... To just come in, sit down, open her book, close it, get up and leave.
Melina watched her go.

She knew Stella kept a low profile, if anyone had an opinion on her it was usually one of indifference. That's why she kept her around, so that she had a little spy who flew under the radar... But as she observed earlier, Stella wasn't herself as of late... The reason for which Melina could only guess.

Melina gasped in mock shock at her words, Eris! Youre so bad! What would Madam Hurdred think if she heard you say that?
Theyd been nearly constant companions for a while now, and this was an old routine for them.
... I dont know if I should call you a whore or a slut! At least my husband will have the assurance that his wife was a virgin on our wedding night, I wont have to suffer the shame of being a mistress with a bastard child.
"What? Hurdred? That old bat?" Eris scoffed. "Like I care what she thinks! I will dress however I like! As long as what I'm wearing doesn't embarrassed you, she can stuff it!" Eris' brows furrowed in annoyance at Melina's comments. "I mean, I would rather that my best friend didn't call me either of those!" she snipped. "At least my husband will have a wife who knows what she's doing and knows how to please him!"

"I don't really need to worry about children anyway. There's a nice witch in town who knows a spell to make the chances of getting pregnant basically zero!" Eris grinned devilishly and continued, "So I might as well try to have some fun before I graduate and have to start acting like a proper lady!"

"But I have no intention of marrying, Mel. You know this. The very thought being forced to spend the rest of my life with some bastard I can't stand makes me sick! Besides! I have already dedicated the rest of my life to serving as your lady-in-waiting and I'm not gonna let some man get in the way!" Eris huffed and crossed her arms.

Melina laughed and rolled her eyes at the suggestion.
The issue, my dear Miss Fulton, is that you lack subtlety. Knowing just how much skin to show to snare a bo without outing yourself as a prostitute! When you get caught wearing such a short dress, itll be the etiquette teachers that condemn you, not me.
She wasnt opposed to sharing clothes with Eris, but her clothes were fairly recognizable, even altered she knew that it would either make the other girls mock Eris for having to borrow her clothes, or envious that she gets to share clothes with her. Either outcome wouldnt reflect very well on Melina so she couldnt have that.
Perhaps you need an expert to attend you on your next visit to the tailor...
"Yeah yeah... You're always going on about the etiquette teachers. They used to give me a lot of trouble you know. But they haven't been lately... I wonder why that is?" Eris smiled. Now that she was working under Melina, the majority of her problems seemingly vanished like a puff of smoke. "I'll just keeping wearing my own dresses, and they will just have to deal with it. None of yours wouod look good on me anyway. They're too... Colorful and frilly. Mel! Come with me next time I go shopping! If anybody has an impeccable fasion sense, it's you!"

Eris didn't feel anything particularly off in the room as Stella's sat down to read. But Melina certainty did, and Eris instantly felt the change in her friend. She sat up attentively, sliding one foot down to the floor and glanced at Melina, ready to assist the woman at a moments notice in case she was needed.

"What's her deal?" Eris asked Melina curiously after Stella had left the common room. Stella wasn't exactly a social girl, but it was uncommon for her to leave without at least saying goodbye.

Last edited:
Darkness.

Sweet void.

Maybe she could just stay here…

She wanted to..

It was so nice in..

“Oh it was barely a tap. Quit your faking.” A clear voice cut into her now ringing ears. The pain reached her at the same time her brain decided to turn the lights back on. It was unpleasant.

To be fair Stella was quite a capable fighter..

In her own way.

She wasn’t beating someone down twice her size outright, but she had a certain willful strength and her cunning intellect made for someone that had sent a couple of boys who thought a little intimidation would get between stella and her winnings. But these girls were different.

A smack to them meant expulsion. Or worse…

An exception that wasn’t extended to Stellaris herself. A fact they knew as well as she did.

So while usually keeping their bullying to nasty insults, and ruining her things. They were far from above the occasional physical attack.

“J..just leave me alone.” Stella muttered rubbing her head. The library hadn’t had her book. But she had been signing a request form to get it in a couple of days.

The librarian even offered to get it when she went into town that day if Stella filled it out quickly..

The form was smeared across the page from where her face had been planted into it.

“Can’t.” Rachel said simply. She came around to Stella’s right and sat next to her using the table as her seat.

“We’ve got a direct command to make you miserable. And to be honest Stellaris. It’s not one that I don’t…” She grabbed Stella by the hair and slammed her face down again holding her there as she checked the nails on her other hand.

“Truly enjoy.” She finished. “Ugly, lanky, peasant, swine allowed into our school. Gets my blood boiling just thinking about it.” She continued grinding Stella’s face to enunciate her point.

The other girl was already throwing her things from the window as the proceeded. She stopped when she noticed a small wrapped parcel.

The bits of food Stella gathered for her animal friends in the greenhouse.

While it still remained she had been sneaking past the teachers stationed there during the day on occasion…“Rachel. Look! She’s keeping scraps of food for her meal!” She squealed tossing it out as Stella tensed.

“That’s not..Don’t!” She pleaded as the scraps went swiftly out the window followed closely with the rest of the contents of her bag. The bell began to chime in the tower.

Tears began to run from her cheeks despite her iron will straining to the point of break to hold them in. Rachel watched her break with glee.

Finally seeing some fruits to their labors. She leaned close. Keeping Stella’s ink and tear stained face pressed to the page.

“The worst part of all this torment is..No one cares. The staff. The students…usually we get push back..But it’s seems your nothing to anyone here. They barely know you exist now and no one will care when you leave…”

Stella simply swallowed the bile the truth if that statement brought to her throat.

The hallow feeling in her stomach that had been building since Elexnia had set her minions on her reaches it’s peak.

the final grind of her head to the paper was a parting gift as she was finally left alone.

The bell summoning the prefects to their afternoon meeting, and luncheon. She stayed until the tears stopped.

She made her way to a washroom and cleaned her face as best she could..

But the eye makeup Priscilla had so graciously done for her was ruined.

She had spent all morning on it..

Thinking that would cheer her up. It had honestly. Stella knew she wasn’t pretty, but with Priscilla behind the brush and cheering you on the entire way….

It was hard not to pretend..

Just a little.

Her hair was more of a mangled mess than it had been to start which…

Stella would have found almost impressive if not for her crippling emotional distress at the moment…

Finally still on somewhat of an auto pilot.. Stella walked back in with the closest thing she had to friends. Wordlessly she took her usual spot on Melina’s left.

Careful not to accidentally touch her, and opened her tattered book. Reading what was left. It didn’t matter that it’s was a disjointed mess.

It made her feel safe. These people made her feel safe. “No one cares..” Echoed in her mind.

Reminding her the only reason she felt safe here was because Eris would likely demolish anything that could threaten Melina even by proxy.

This her sitting at Melina’s left meant anything directed at her would be dealt with as well. Not because they were her friends. They tolerated her. Laughed at her wit occasionally.

But they weren’t her friends. And soon neither would Priscilla. It was just a matter of time before her beautiful friend realized how badly Stella was holding her back from opportunity…

Stella’s hands tightened on the cover of the beaten, useless tome.

The grim line of her mouth cracked as her bottom lip trembled slightly.

She felt their eyes on her now. What had she been thinking! She looked a mess!

She..

she..

hadn’t been thinking…

For the moment this onslaught had begun to shatter the emotional steel she wrapped her heart in.

She simply sighed.

Taking a breath and steadying her lip. Turning one of the 4 pages left in the 700 page tome.

It’s detached as she removed her hand and floated to the floor. The same sorrowfully soft squeak of sheer and utter agony escaped her lips this time.

She couldn’t stop it.

She began to stand to leave.

Finally feeling that she had embarrassed herself enough.

She couldn’t bare to look up and see the only people that at least didn’t outright hate her looking at her in shock.

Silently waiting for her to leave and take her problems with her.

So she kept her head lowered as she placed her now three page book in her now much lighter bag and grabbed the straps.

Last edited:
What? Hurdred? That old bat? Eris scoffed. Like I care what she thinks! I will dress however I like! As long as what I'm wearing doesn't embarrass you, she can stuff it! Eris brows furrowed in annoyance at Melinas comments. I mean, I would rather that my best friend didn't call me either of those! she snipped. At least my husband will have a wife who knows what she's doing and knows how to please him!
I don't really need to worry about children anyway. There's a nice witch in town who knows a spell to make the chances of getting pregnant basically zero! Eris grinned devilishly and continued, So I might as well try to have some fun before I graduate and have to start acting like a proper lady!

But I have no intention of marrying, Mel. You know this. The very thought being forced to spend the rest of my life with some bastard I cant stand makes me sick! Besides! I have already dedicated the rest of my life to serving as your lady-in-waiting and I'm not gonna let some man get in the way! Eris huffed and crossed her arms.
That was a whole debate that they didn't need to get into. Suffice to say; Melina adhered to tradition as was expected of her, and Eris adhered to Melina and that's all she really cared about. Eris knew how to keep her head down and not make herself or Melina look bad in public, whatever delinquencies either of them get up to behind closed doors was another matter entirely, and one Melina wasn't innocent of indulging in from time to time.

Her vice was less promiscuous and more... carnal in nature. The pipe and the potion have been her companion on more than one night to ward off the constant stresses and anxieties of the constant battles she wages, games she plays and dramas she directs, orchestrates and performs. She doubted even her mother would fault her for turning to such things in order to have some semblance of peace in her mind.

Thus, instead of teasing her friend further, she let it drop and sipped her tea.
Yeah yeah... You're always going on about the etiquette teachers. They used to give me a lot of trouble you know. But they haven't been lately... I wonder why that is? Eris smiled. Now that she was working under Melina, the majority of her problems seemingly vanished like a puff of smoke. Ill just keeping wearing my own dresses, and they will just have to deal with it. None of yours would look good on me anyway. They're too... Colorful and frilly. Mel! Come with me next time I go shopping! If anybody has an impeccable fashion sense, it's you!
Melina perked up a little when Eris agreed to go shopping with her.
"Excellent! I assure you that I will find you gowns that will match even your unorthodox tastes!"
She promised with a confident smile. Nuance in social situations in both dress and demeanor were her forte after all, clothes were as much a part of the manipulation process as honeyed words.

Eris didn't feel anything particularly off in the room as Stellas sat down to read. But Melina certainty did, and Eris instantly felt the change in her friend. She sat up attentively, sliding one foot down to the floor and glanced at Melina, ready to assist the woman at a moment's notice in case she was needed.

What's her deal? Eris asked Melina curiously after Stella had left the common room. Stella wasn't exactly a social girl, but it was uncommon for her to leave without at least saying goodbye.
Melina was thoughtful as she watched Stell leave.
"It is difficult to say with miss Salamanca. She's not one to voice her thoughts."
While her behavior troubled her, she reasoned that she was probably overthinking it, the ant-social butterfly amid their exclusive group, Melina's "inner circle" so to speak. It wouldn't surprise Melina if Stella just happened to develop some additional bad behaviors.

She and Eris continued chatting about nothing important, simply passing the time.

Darkness.

Sweet void.

Maybe she could just stay here…

She wanted to...

It was so nice in...

“Oh, it was barely a tap. Quit your faking.” A clear voice cut into her now ringing ears. The pain reached her at the same time her brain decided to turn the lights back on. It was unpleasant.

To be fair Stella was quite a capable fighter...

In her own way.

She wasn’t beating someone down twice her size outright, but she had a certain willful strength and her cunning intellect made for someone that had sent a couple of boys who thought a little intimidation would get between stella and her winnings. But these girls were different.

A smack to them meant expulsion. Or worse…

An exception that wasn’t extended to Stellaris herself. A fact they knew as well as she did.

So, while usually keeping their bullying to nasty insults and ruining her things. They were far from above the occasional physical attack.

“J... just leave me alone.” Stella muttered rubbing her head. The library hadn’t had her book. But she had been signing a request form to get it in a couple of days.

The librarian even offered to get it when she went into town that day if Stella filled it out quickly...

The form was smeared across the page from where her face had been planted into it.

“Can’t.” Rachel said simply. She came around to Stella’s right and sat next to her using the table as her seat.

“We’ve got a direct command to make you miserable. And to be honest Stellaris. It’s not one that I don’t…” She grabbed Stella by the hair and slammed her face down again holding her there as she checked the nails on her other hand.

“Truly enjoy.” She finished. “Ugly, lanky, peasant, swine allowed into our school. Gets my blood boiling just thinking about it.” She continued grinding Stella’s face to enunciate her point.

The other girl was already throwing her things from the window as the proceeded. She stopped when she noticed a small, wrapped parcel.

The bits of food Stella gathered for her animal friends in the greenhouse.

While it still remained, she had been sneaking past the teachers stationed there during the day on occasion… “Rachel. Look! She’s keeping scraps of food for her meal!” She squealed tossing it out as Stella tensed.

“That’s not... Don’t!” She pleaded as the scraps went swiftly out the window followed closely with the rest of the contents of her bag. The bell began to chime in the tower.

Tears began to run from her cheeks despite her iron will straining to the point of break to hold them in. Rachel watched her break with glee.

Finally seeing some fruits to their labors. She leaned close. Keeping Stella’s ink and tear-stained face pressed to the page.

“The worst part of all this torment is... No one cares. The staff. The students… usually we get push back... But it’s seems your nothing to anyone here. They barely know you exist now, and no one will care when you leave…”

Stella simply swallowed the bile the truth if that statement brought to her throat.

The hallow feeling in her stomach that had been building since Elexnia had set her minions on her reaches its peak.

the final grind of her head to the paper was a parting gift as she was finally left alone.

The bell summoning the prefects to their afternoon meeting, and luncheon. She stayed until the tears stopped.

She made her way to a washroom and cleaned her face as best she could...

But the eye makeup Priscilla had so graciously done for her was ruined.

She had spent all morning on it...

Thinking that would cheer her up. It had honestly. Stella knew she wasn’t pretty, but with Priscilla behind the brush and cheering you on the entire way….

It was hard not to pretend...

Just a little.

Her hair was more of a mangled mess than it had been to start which…

Stella would have found almost impressive if not for her crippling emotional distress at the moment…

Finally, still on somewhat of an auto pilot... Stella walked back in with the closest thing she had to friends. Wordlessly she took her usual spot on Melina’s left.

Careful not to accidentally touch her and opened her tattered book. Reading what was left. It didn’t matter that it was a disjointed mess.

It made her feel safe. These people made her feel safe. “No one cares...” Echoed in her mind.

Reminding her the only reason she felt safe here was because Eris would likely demolish anything that could threaten Melina even by proxy.

Thus her sitting at Melina’s left meant anything directed at her would be dealt with as well. Not because they were her friends. They tolerated her. Laughed at her wit occasionally.

But they weren’t her friends. And soon neither would Priscilla. It was just a matter of time before her beautiful friend realized how badly Stella was holding her back from opportunity…

Stella’s hands tightened on the cover of the beaten, useless tome.

The grim line of her mouth cracked as her bottom lip trembled slightly.
Stella returned and Melina barely glanced up to acknowledge her presence, engrossed in her conversation with Eris about the appropriate amount of black lace to use in a red dress to achieve the desired social image, provocative yet confident, not suggesting too much or hinting at too little...

In a lull Melina sipped her tea and took a moment to look at Stella.

... She immediately froze with her cup to her lips...

This close she could plainly see the destroyed state of her book, and the longer she looked the details of her assault began to reveal themselves to her.
The cup rattled on the saucer as she set it down, for her grip had tightened fiercely on the handle of the delicately crafted drinking ware.
She felt their eyes on her now. What had she been thinking! She looked a mess!

She...

she...

hadn’t been thinking…

For the moment this onslaught had begun to shatter the emotional steel she wrapped her heart in.

She simply sighed.

Taking a breath and steadying her lip. Turning one of the 4 pages left in the 700-page tome.

It detached as she removed her hand and floated to the floor. The same sorrowfully soft squeak of sheer and utter agony escaped her lips this time.

She couldn’t stop it.

She began to stand to leave.

Finally feeling that she had embarrassed herself enough.

She couldn’t bear to look up and see the only people that at least didn’t outright hate her looking at her in shock.

Silently waiting for her to leave and take her problems with her.

So, she kept her head lowered as she placed her now three-page book in her now much lighter bag and grabbed the straps.
Melina rose from her seat just as Stella did.
No reassuring smile graced her pretty lips, no comforting words or tender touches.

Melina grabbed her by the wrist in a tight grip before she could leave.
There was a deep cold like ice in her eyes as she gave Stella a look harder than steel that threatened to drill to her very soul.
Still holding Stella by the wrist in one hand she held out her other hand, her words came out like a steel trap closing on the femur of a careless hunter.

"Miss Salamanca, show me your book at once."
She was carefully controlling her tone, and it was this level of control that made her all the more terrifying... Because it was plain that she was holding back a savage torrent of wrath that should only be released on the real offenders.

Melina rose from her seat just as Stella did.
No reassuring smile graced her pretty lips, no comforting words or tender touches.
Stella kept her eyes to the floor. Tears threatened to break her ironclad will to hold them back.

Obviously Stella had taken too long to take the hint and Melina had been standing to leave rather than waiting for her to. Now that Stella stood she was sure Melina would sit back…
Melina grabbed her by the wrist in a tight grip before she could leave.
There was a deep cold like ice in her eyes as she gave Stella a look harder than steel that threatened to drill to her very soul.

Stella was stunned for a moment as she felt a vice like grip tighten around her wrist. Pulling her gaze from the floor the intensity of the gaze that met her froze her feet to the floor as if they had simply sank into it. They bored into her soul.

Her stunned state showing no resistance. She saw the hurt and the fear Stellas mystique and “devil may care” quiet facade hid very well. She saw. And she didn’t care.

She was not searching for the root of problems to comfort Stella.

She was assessing how much damage had been done to her property, and calculating how much retribution would be appropriate.

Though Stella was feeling more like it was how much of her wrath she would be allowing herself to unleash. Either way while terrified…

Something about the tightness of the grip.

The almost protective feeling Melinas rage gave her.

The forcefulness. Her heart sped slightly. Bringing a splash of color to her cheeks she could easily write off as a consequence of her flustered state. She didn’t like girls anyway.

Right?

Right.

Finding her self at a bit of a loss the quiet, ghost of a girl never short a witty reply in the face of even the meanest of bullies or the snidest of teachers, simply fumbled for words.

“M..Melina I..I was j..just going to leave n..no need to..”
Still holding Stella by the wrist in one hand she held out her other hand, her words came out like a steel trap closing on the femur of a careless hunter.

Miss Salamanca, show me your book at once.
She was carefully controlling her tone, and it was this level of control that made her all the more terrifying... Because it was plain that she was holding back a savage torrent of wrath that should only be released on the real offenders.

“Y..yes Melina…” She would say timidly her hand trembled slightly as she pulled the tattered remnants of what once WAS her book out.

Holding it out to Melina and having enough self respect to at least hand it to her with the cover face down hiding the title.

It never bothered her before but that was because Stella had always doubted the group ever paid attention to her.

Now that she knew Melina would be focused on it she suddenly felt a wave a self consciousness.

She had already done enough damage to her self respect and “dark.” Facade.

Eris relaxed a bit as Melina confronted Steallaris. There wasn't much she could do about the current situation. She couldn't really assist Melina in any meaningful way, much less save Stella from Melina's fiercely burning wrath. Eris knew that if she was needed, Lady Calcutte would surely let her know.

Intimidation and wringing answers out of people was much more Melina's field of expertise anyway. Eris had seen Melina break down even the most stonefaced people at the school and even some teachers. It was kind of hot if she was being honest.

Eris leaned back against the wall with a quiet sigh, hands behind her head, as she watched Melina work. She knew she was in for another long, sleepless night of discussion over pipe and bottle as her boss concocted a retaliation strategy. An attack against one of Melina's underlings was an attack against herself, and this was the worst Eris had seen in the past months.

Eris yawned softly and closed her eyes. She half listened as Melina began to pull names, locations, and other things from Stella. She opened one eye and peered at the pair once or twice, but for the most part, would stay silent and let Melina work.

Last edited:
“Y..yes Melina…” She would say timidly her hand trembled slightly as she pulled the tattered remnants of what once WAS her book, out.

Holding it out to Melina and having enough self respect to at least hand it to her with the cover face down hiding the title.

It never bothered her before but that was because Stella had always doubted the group ever paid attention to her.

Now that she knew Melina would be focused on it she suddenly felt a wave a self consciousness.

She had already done enough damage to her self respect and “dark.” Facade.

Melina released her wrist as she took the book from her.

"Stay." She commanded firmly as she turned the book over in her hands and opened it, her eyes glazed over the title in favor of examining the torn pages within.
Her lips drew into a firm line and her perfect brows knitted together in outrage.

She flicked through the few remaining pages for a brief moment before she tossed the book on the couch.
"Miss Fulton, report this book to the faculty. Tell them you found it under the window of Miss Katherine Tungland, or send someone else to do it."

She didn't ask Stella who was responsible, she knew. She didn't ask her who had carried out the deed, she didn't care.
Katherine was merely another target on Melina's personal hit list, she'd been spreading some particularly uppity rumors about Melina. Being disciplined for defacing school property was just the thing to knock her down a few pegs.

She turned her attention back on Stella, taking in the damage done to her face. She pointed at the couch and delivered another firm command.
"Sit."

She then went to her purse to retrieve her makeup kit and joined her on the couch.
"I will fix your makeup. In the meantime, you will tell me who did this."
She first used her handkerchief dabbed with a makeup removing solvent to wipe away the streaked and hastily applied cover-up.
Then she used her brushes to redo her face.

Eris watched in mild amusement as as Melina spoke to Steallaris' as if she were giving a dog a command. She remembered her early days with Melina and the stern lectures she would get in the same tone in their private quarters for embarrassing her in front of the other students.

Miss Fulton, report this book to the faculty. Tell them you found it under the window of Miss Katherine Tungland, or send someone else to do it.
Eris perked up at Melina's directions. Finally! A chance to get off her rear and actually help Melina. "Of course, Lady Melina! I'll see to it at once!" She scooped up the book and tucked it under her arm. Pausing at the door, Eris gave Stella, what she hoped at least, was a reassuring look that said "Don't worry. Melina will take care of everything," before excusing herself and exiting the room.

She paid little mind to the other students in the hallway as they parted, some in fear and others in disgust, clearing a path for her to walk. As she passed them by, she couldn't help thinking that all the problems with Miss Tungland could've been put to rest right away of Melina had just let her handle it. But Eris also knew that Melina was able to see opportunities where she wasn't, so she just had to trust Melina and do what she could to help.

Eris soon came to a door with a polished gold plaque that read "Madam Gertrude Bergmont". She knocked and waited for the door to open. A tall woman with her dark hair in a tight bun and small beady eyes behind giant spectacles answered the door and smiled wickedly when she saw who it was.

"Ah... Miss Fulton. What a pleasant surprise." The woman cackled. "Its been a while since you graced us with your presence. So what is it this time? Drunkenness? Larceny? Assault? I had really hoped your time with Miss Calcutte would've broken you of those habits."

"Good day Madam Bergmont." Eris said with a polite smile. "I'm not here for myself this time. I have come to show you something." She held out the torn up book. "I found this under Miss Katherine Tungland's window and thought you might like to see it."

Bergmont snatched the book out of her hand and quickly flipped through what few pages remained. She looked down at Eris suspiciously. "Found it under Miss Katherine Tungland's window you say? What were you doing under her window, might I ask? How do I know you didn't do this and are blaming her for your own personal gain?

"I was taking the long way around to my next class and just happened to see it lying in the grass by her window. Rest assured, Madam, that I have no personal quarrel with Miss Tungland." She smiled at the older woman. "I am simply doing my duty to protect the property of this illustrious establishment from those who would seek to destroy it."

"Even though that person is usually you?" Bergmont snipped. Eris' eye twitched and she clenched her jaw ever so slightly. "Are you quite sure there's no other reasons for your actions?" Madam Bergmont pressed. "I know you work for Miss Calcutte, Fulton. And I also happen to know that Miss Tungland has been spreading some particularly nasty rumors about her. Did Miss Calcutte put you up to this?" Bergmont's piercing gaze drilled into Eris.

"Of course not!" Eris shot back. "I think you really should be ashamed of yourself for even suspecting something like that of one who has done so much for this school!" Eris' voice had gained a very slight, angry edge, and she took a deep breath to calm herself. She couldn't stand hearing people say negative things about Melina, even of they were true. The smile quickly returned to Eris' lips. "And I am merely her personal companion, and not under her employ nean any means."

Eris paused and quietly cleared her throat. "Besides Madam Bergmont, I believe you and I both know that Lady Calcutte doesn't need to resort to such underhanded tactics to solve a problem she might have with a peer. She is a grown woman, and I would politely ask that you have faith in her to solve whatever issues she has with Miss Tungland, in a mature and professional manner."

Madam Bergmont studied Eris for a long moment, her eyes squinting as she looked for another angle of attack for her questions. Finding none immediately jumping out at her, she sighed. "You're excused Miss Fulton. I will see to it that Miss Tungland get properly disciplined."

"Thank you Madam Bergmont. I do apologize for having disturbed you. I will be going now." Eris exited, gently closing the door behind her, and slowly made her way back towards the common room.

Last edited:
  • Devil
Reactions: Melina Calcutte
Melina released her wrist as she took the book from her.

Stay. She commanded firmly as she turned the book over in her hands and opened it, her eyes glazed over the title in favor of examining the torn pages within.
Her lips drew into a firm line and her perfect brows knitted together in outrage.
Stellaris nodded obediently with a slow blink. Her feet remaining planted to the spot. The rage behind Melina’s gaze would have rooted a dragon in Stella’s opinion and she was no slouch in the game of stares and glares.
She turned her attention back on Stella, taking in the damage done to her face. She pointed at the couch and delivered another firm command.
Sit.
“Yes Mel..Lady Calcutte..” Stella said catching herself. She rarely addressed Melina in a way that required the use of her name or title.

Often simply chiming in helpfully or remarking wittily. If at all she would simply put a some what smug “milady.” When addressing her.

In the state she had been before she had been too upset to stand on formality but as the moment had passed and she had taken a moment to calm, Melina’s gaze made her think she may not continue to be so forgiving.

She simply sat and allowed Melina to position her face as she pleased.

Turning her face from one side to the other.

A slight self conscious blush entering her cheeks. She could easily explain away with the abuse she had suffered, and not Melina’s eye surveying her so intently.

After seeming to size up the task Melina would rise to get the proper cosmetics she required from her purse.

She then went to her purse to retrieve her makeup kit and joined her on the couch.
I will fix your makeup. In the meantime, you will tell me who did this.

“It was just some people angry about some outcomes as of late..n..nothing I can’t handle…” Stella offered lamely.

It sounded paper thin even to herself. And the return of her stutter wasn’t helping.

She had conquered that damn impediment when she was younger.

Now it only returned when she was under distress, and picked perfect times to do so.

Causing Melina’s gaze to only intensify. It’s flames turning her paper thin lie to ash and cinders.

Pausing at the door, Eris gave Stella, what she hoped at least, was a reassuring look that said Dont worry. Melina will take care of everything, before excusing herself and exiting the room.

With great effort Stella pulled her eyes from Melina’s skeptical gaze.

Meeting Eris’ gaze she seemed to understand. With a small nod of acknowledgment. She opened her mouth before having it closed.

Melina’s hand pulling her back into her gaze as the young lady began to wage war on the damage done to Stella’s make up.

Her unforgiving eyes wordlessly demanding the truth as harshly as any barked order.

Maybe Eris was right. She would help..But she demanded loyalty and loyalty meant the truth..

“It..it was two of Elex’s prefects. Ever since the party on the grounds..They’ve always h-had it out for me..but..”

She looked down only for Melina to pause her work and lightly “*tsk*”. A single finger pulling her chin back up. Returning to work.

“They’ve been more..direct l-lately.” She halted taking a deep breath. No more stutters.

She wasn’t 8 years old anymore. As she felt cloths and brushes lightly skim her skin she recentered herself and allowed Melina to take in the information she had given her.

She omitted the greenhouse but it was not from any misgivings. She simply doubted Melina would care.

If she went diving in search of how deep Melina’s care for her went..

She had a feeling a short dive and a sore neck would be her emotional reward for the trouble…

So she kept that small fact to herself. If Melina was willing to help her at all..Stella could figure it out in her own from there.

She had given herself into Melina’s clutches enough for the time being. Although..

Maybe that wasn’t such a bad thing..maybe she had been wrong to reject this woman’s friendship so flippantly..

Maybe..Stella blinked realizing Melina had finshed and was waiting patiently while she was simply staring into her eyes wordlessly.

“Um..” Stella said quickly looking away.

“I..I never thought..Thank you..” She would say staring at the floor. She looked up at a large mirror across from them.

Melina had done an excellent job. Stella looked better than she had in days.

Even if her hair was still a mess her once smeared and tear stained face now looked like nothing had occurred.

“And..I’m sorry..” She said slowly deciding to look at Melina’s chin rather than her eyes. “For my rudeness at the party I mean. I..misjudged you..” Stella said softly.

The genuineness of her words surprising even herself slightly.

“Can you forgive me..Lady C-Calcutte..?” She asked finally meeting Melina’s eyes.

Finally willing to enter her clutches..

Now all Melina had to do was close her fingers around what seemed to be shaping into her new left hand.

Last edited:
“And here I was thinking this walk would be a wonderful stroll to the prefects common room, and who do I spy to make it so much more…enjoyable..” a cold voice would creep over sheer shoulder along with a pair of hands icily looping around her waist. Preventing escape.

Resting her chin on the top of her shorter sisters head.

A gesture that dated back to when they were kids..

Friends..

Before..

Her grip tightened holding her sister. To anyone watching it was simply a loving embrace between two close sisters.

The prefect Elexnia, taking a moment and trying her best to show her roguish sister some kindness and maybe offer a warm word of advice. But to the sisters it would be like a a wounded girl being seized by a predator.

“I was just off to send these to mother and father. And another to my lovely betrothed..” She said flicking out one white envelope, the other red.

The white sealed with Eris and Elex’s family crest, the red sealed with the dukes and a perfect red lip mark from a kiss. Though knowing Elexnia she probably gently brushed it on to make it perfect. “Would you like me to tell them something from you?” She asked kindly. “I can write it on the back of the envelope.” Her kind smile only widening.

“I’ll tell you what they say.” She continued brightly before pulling her younger sister uncomfortably close.

Her voice losing all warmth and kindness.

Like a winter breeze snuffing a roaring fire.

Her lips close to her ear so not even someone brushing past them could hear.

“I know they take ever so long to respond to the letters YOU send them..” before it vanished.

The fire reigniting and banishing the chill as her grip loosened so quickly it almost begged the question if it had ever been tight.

Her voice gaining its usual calm brightness.

“So it’s the least I could do.” She would say at a normal volume with a helpful smile that almost reached her eyes.

Almost.

To anyone but her sister.

Who knew the poison behind those kind eyes.

She would take the chance to seize her sister by the wrist and abruptly twirl her gracefully both freeing her sister from her trap and spinning Eris to face her. The same way she had when their parents forced them to practice dance together.

Elexnia had always been the lead of course.

A fact Eris would undoubtedly be reminded of. Elexnia was always the lead. And she would be wise to fall in line and remember it. Dance for her like a good little sister. Like the rest of her cronies. All to happy to let her sister lead. Pulling the strings.

Elex hoped Eris would follow her steps like second nature leading the sisters into a perfectly in sync split second of the routine they had been taught. Like a good girl.

“Everything works out when you follow my lead Eris. You would be wise to remember that..” She would say with a gentle curtsy to her unwilling partner. Before taking her leave.

………………..

If she stumbled and messed up the routine Elex smoothly gather herself and let Eris fall before catching her just barely in time..probably purposefully in all likelihood.

Before scoffing at her sisters like she always did when Eris messed up.

“You never were as graceful. How could I forget..It took you months to get that simple routine right. I thought you would have remembered.” She would give her a disappointed shake of her head before taking her leave.

Last edited:
“And here I was thinking this walk would be a wonderful stroll to the prefects common room, and who do I spy to make it so much more…enjoyable..” a cold voice would creep over sheer shoulder along with a pair of hands icily looping around her waist. Preventing escape.

Resting her chin on the top of her shorter sisters head.

A gesture that dated back to when they were kids..
Eris froze midstep, a pair of dainty arms coming to rest around her waist. Her blood ran cold as Elexnia embraced her from behind. "Oh... H-Hello sister..." Eris voiced meekly. "How n-nice of you to stop to s-say hello."

Eris remembered a time when the embrace meant something to them, and wasn't used as a trap for Elexnia to get her own way. She remembered how much love and comfort she had felt with Elex and how inseparable they had been as children. So much so that they would always play, eat, study, and even bathe and sleep together.

But now, the hug was nothing more than a tool in Elexnia's kit to keep her sister down and lord her perfection over her. How she wished they could go back to those simple times, when they treated each other as family instead of mere stepping stones to an end. Back before-

A quiet gasp escaped Eris as Elexnia's hold on her tightened, forcing the air from her. She regained her breath as her sister produced two envelopes. One white bearing the Fulton family seal, and another, red with an immaculate lipstick kiss.

“Would you like me to tell them something from you?” She asked kindly. “I can write it on the back of the envelope.” Her kind smile only widening.
Eris stiffened, Elexnia's tone sending further chills down her spine. The words while warm and kind, hid a layer of icy malice that froze Eris to the bone.

"N-n-n-no..." Eris stammered. "I'm sure M-Mama and Father would much rather hear about your time here. You know a-anything I would t-tell them would cause nothing but grief." Eris knew that she was nothing but a disappointment to her family. Instead of gracefully accepting her lot as a noblewoman, she had rebelled, wasting her parents' resources on her own personal enjoyment. With everything she had done since enrolling, it was a wonder she hadn't been expelled.

Suddenly Elex had her by the wrist and had spun her around. Eris's feet moved instinctively, following the steps of the dance they had practiced as children. Her sister, as always, took the lead, elegantly guiding her through the steps.

Elexnia wore a perfectly fake smile that anybody passing by would see as a loving gesture towards her little sister. Eris saw right through it, and scrutinized Elexnia's face looking for any sign of the sister she had once loved, finding nothing but a facade put on by a fake, manipulative bitch.

“Everything works out when you follow my lead Eris. You would be wise to remember that..” She would say with a gentle curtsy to her unwilling partner. Before taking her leave.
As much as she was loathed to admit it, Eris knew Elexnia was right. As far back as she could remember, Elexnia had always taken charge. Though back then, she had done it more for Eris' benefit than her own, gently guiding her younger sibling through the trials of life like a wise sage. But those days were long gone.

There was only one woman that Eris wanted to lead her. The only person ever to truly earn her undying devotion and loyalty. Eris wanted to shout after Elexnia and tell her that the days of controlling her life were numbered and that she would soon be free of this torment, but knew full well the consequences of talking back to her sister. A coin toss between a vicious slap, or public humiliation, neither of which she was eager to endure.

Instead Eris silently watched Elexnia walk away, taking in ragged breaths as she tried to calm her frazzled nerves.

Last edited:
“Oh..” Elexnia paused as if sensing her rebellion. Her sisters hard gaze all but shouted it from the roof tops. She turned slightly and put on that kind smile she always did before delivering a usually brutal parting word.

“I just remembered, let your…Interesting little merchant “friend” know that it only gets worse.” She chuckled lightly. The pleasantness of the sound out of place when accompanying what her words implied.

She didn’t think Eris would care.

She had no friends.

That was the point.

Her sister was very much like herself in that way. They cared very little for others once they focused on a goal. Eris had just so happened to make her goal a person.

Odd..

But almost comical in a sad way. Eris scrambling to fill the void left by her sister.

Allowing Melina to fill the role Elex had long since vacated.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic…oh what the hell..She’d laugh anyway..her Chuckle growing to a melodic giggle before she regained her composure gracefully.

“And Tell Lady Calcutte that if she wants nice things she shouldn’t pick things so easily broken..Like hair pins..”

(or people..)

Was what she didn’t say.

But Eris would know. Elex knew she would. With full knowledge Elex was lumping her in with Stella in that number.

“But that is in the past..Well mostly at any rate..” She would say with a small sniff of dissatisfaction.

“On that note, Im off. Im sure I’ll have the pleasure of seeing you again.” Her grin widened only enough to signify she wasn’t QUITE done.

Elexnia never wasted a chance, and never left a job unfinished.

“Now come here and let me hug my little sister goodbye..” The taller sibling would smile innocently, but the context was clear.

“Follow my lead. Obey.” The unspoken order hidden in her clever subtext. A private war waging between both siblings invisible to any passerby.

Stellaris nodded obediently with a slow blink. Her feet remaining planted to the spot. The rage behind Melina’s gaze would have rooted a dragon in Stella’s opinion and she was no slouch in the game of stares and glares.

“Yes Mel..Lady Calcutte..” Stella said catching herself. She rarely addressed Melina in a way that required the use of her name or title.

Often simply chiming in helpfully or remarking wittily. If at all she would simply put a some what smug “milady.” When addressing her.

In the state she had been before she had been too upset to stand on formality but as the moment had passed and she had taken a moment to calm, Melina’s gaze made her think she may not continue to be so forgiving.

She simply sat and allowed Melina to position her face as she pleased.

Turning her face from one side to the other.

A slight self conscious blush entering her cheeks. She could easily explain away with the abuse she had suffered, and not Melina’s eye surveying her so intently.

After seeming to size up the task Melina would rise to get the proper cosmetics she required from her purse.
Melina worked with military intensity and professional mastery.
To her it was like she was responding to a tactical maneuver, and the blow would come the moment Stella showed her face in public... If she hadn't already been spotted on her way here...

Luckily for Stella she was a willing subject to Melina's repair work. If she put up any more of a fuss she'd have to wait for Eris to come back and hold her down and move her face so that she could work.
Having an adjutant like Eris was proving almost invaluable, anything physical needing to be done could be reliably carried out by the daughter of a knight family.
For Eris, any social damage for "acting out" could almost be mitigated by that fact, and any damage to Melina if she "acted out" for her sake would be negligible if she could gain something from the situation.

Melina listened while she worked. She ran a tight ship in their growing social circle, but her mother always taught her that to be a leader among women, you had to learn to listen. Stella was stuttering so Melina let her take her time while applying new eyeliner before moving to her lips.
“It was just some people angry about some outcomes as of late..n..nothing I can’t handle…” Stella offered lamely.

It sounded paper thin even to herself. And the return of her stutter wasn’t helping.

She had conquered that damn impediment when she was younger.

Now it only returned when she was under distress, and picked perfect times to do so.

Causing Melina’s gaze to only intensify. It’s flames turning her paper thin lie to ash and cinders.
It was a lie, an obvious lie, so obvious that Melina's intense gaze held far more disappointment than scorn!
If Stella could really handle it, she definitely wouldn't have been in this state to begin with, if it was connected to her "extracurricular activities" she would have seen it coming.

Melina wanted to squeeze her cheeks together for that lie, but it seemed like her expression communicated enough.

With great effort Stella pulled her eyes from Melina’s skeptical gaze.

Meeting Eris’ gaze she seemed to understand. With a small nod of acknowledgment. She opened her mouth before having it closed.

Melina’s hand pulling her back into her gaze as the young lady began to wage war on the damage done to Stella’s make up.

Her unforgiving eyes wordlessly demanding the truth as harshly as any barked order.

Maybe Eris was right. She would help..But she demanded loyalty and loyalty meant the truth..

“It..it was two of Elex’s prefects. Ever since the party on the grounds..They’ve always h-had it out for me..but..”

She looked down only for Melina to pause her work and lightly “*tsk*”. A single finger pulling her chin back up. Returning to work.

“They’ve been more..direct l-lately.” She halted taking a deep breath. No more stutters.
She could have guessed it was Elexnia from a mile away. Stella wasn't an incompetent, if it were merely a disgruntled customer Stella could handle them, she had blackmail to use after all.
But Elexnia was a different animal altogether, one that no mere blackmail and social leverage could touch.

If Elexnia was making a move on the "underworld" of the school, this could just be an intimidation tactic... But more likely this was a two pronged attack, on the underworld and on Melina herself.
Elexnia had a time advantage, she's well entrenched in the school and an upperclassmen. Which meant she he'd plenty of muscle to command. Melina lacked muscle, but she had more than made up for that with her subtle tricks and traps.
Unfortunately, this could also be retribution for getting one of Elexnia's cronies expelled last week...

She wasn’t 8 years old anymore. As she felt cloths and brushes lightly skim her skin she recentered herself and allowed Melina to take in the information she had given her.

She omitted the greenhouse but it was not from any misgivings. She simply doubted Melina would care.

If she went diving in search of how deep Melina’s care for her went..

She had a feeling a short dive and a sore neck would be her emotional reward for the trouble…

So she kept that small fact to herself. If Melina was willing to help her at all..Stella could figure it out in her own from there.

She had given herself into Melina’s clutches enough for the time being. Although..

Maybe that wasn’t such a bad thing..maybe she had been wrong to reject this woman’s friendship so flippantly..

Maybe..Stella blinked realizing Melina had finished and was waiting patiently while she was simply staring into her eyes wordlessly.

“Um..” Stella said quickly looking away.

“I..I never thought..Thank you..” She would say staring at the floor. She looked up at a large mirror across from them.

Melina had done an excellent job. Stella looked better than she had in days.

Even if her hair was still a mess her once smeared and tear stained face now looked like nothing had occurred.
When she finished she put away her makeup kit and folded her arms, scrutinizing her work.
Brushing out her hair would come next...

... Did she say "Thank you"?
Stella had been a tough nut to crack, by this point Melina had a handful of goodwill built up between them but never once had Stella given in to her...
Melina was surprised by the gratitude and her face showed it.

“And..I’m sorry..” She said slowly deciding to look at Melina’s chin rather than her eyes. “For my rudeness at the party I mean. I..misjudged you..” Stella said softly.

The genuineness of her words surprising even herself slightly.

“Can you forgive me..Lady C-Calcutte..?” She asked finally meeting Melina’s eyes.

Finally willing to enter her clutches..

Now all Melina had to do was close her fingers around what seemed to be shaping into her new left hand.
Melina was taken aback a bit by this. Did Elexnia's bullies truly scare Stella that much? What did they have on her that finally forced her into Melina's hands?

She recovered her face and actually gave her a genuine smile of appreciation.
"Yes, of course I forgive you! You knew from the start that I wanted you on my side, you and Lady Vasseret! Come sit by the mirror, I will fix your hair."
She directed Stella to sit on the stool in front of the mirror while Melina retrieved her brush.

She came behind Stella and began arranging her hair before brushing.
She decided that after this victory a little flattery wouldn't be amiss.
"You know, I have actually admired you for your resilience. Unlike many others, you were aware of the dangers of getting involved in the politics of the social life of nobility. I think you probably saw right through me in that regard..."
She straightened her hair as much as she could, then she began applying the brush to smooth out the rest.
"... I think you see all of this social drama like a game, and you would be right. It is a game, a deadly game with our futures on the line."
She expertly navigated a difficult knot in her hair with the least amount of discomfort.
She looked at Stella through the reflection in the mirror.
"It's a game I intend to win, Lady Salamanca. And rest assured, if you are with me, you will win as well."

The bottom line?

I won't let you down.

• Aww
Reactions: Eris Fulton
“I just remembered, let your…Interesting little merchant “friend” know that it only gets worse.” She chuckled lightly. The pleasantness of the sound out of place when accompanying what her words implied.
"I have no f-friends sister. You know this. And M-Miss Salamanca is nothing more than.. an a-acquaintance that Lady Melina keeps around for the information she has access to." Eris knew what she said was untrue. She did have one friend. The only friend she knew she would ever need. Melina Calcutte.

And though she didn't like to admit it, the gloomy girl known as Stella had grown on her. Steallaris was more than just a woman who could supply them with illicit substances, whether that was alcohol or really anything else. Eris wasn't sure she would call Stella a close friend, but they were certainly more than just acquaintances.

Yet she found it impossible to voice these thoughts. That would mean going against Elexnia and contradicting her. As much as Eris wanted to do just that, years under Elexnia's thumb had trained her to nod dumbly and agree, even if she believed the opposite of what Elexnia said to be true.

“And Tell Lady Calcutte that if she wants nice things she shouldn’t pick things so easily broken..Like hair pins..”

(or people..)

Was what she didn’t say.

But Eris would know. Elex knew she would. With full knowledge Elex was lumping her in with Stella in that number.
Eris frowned at Elexnia's words. Was she insinuating that her own sister was nothing more than a broken, worthless, piece of trash? One that had no other purpose than to gradually be broken over and over again at Elexnia's whims?

That might have originally been the case, but Melina had taken the broken girl under her wing. She had helped Eris find worth in herself and molded her into the woman that Melina needed, and Eris so desperately wanted to be. Melina had given her what she wanted most in life- somebody to serve, and a purpose.

“Now come here and let me hug my little sister goodbye..” The taller sibling would smile innocently, but the context was clear.

“Follow my lead. Obey.” The unspoken order hidden in her clever subtext. A private war waging between both siblings invisible to any passerby.
Another trap. Eris was certain of it. Yet her body followed the silent command automatically and without hesitation. Before she could fight against it, her arms were wrapped around Elexnia's waist, and her face pressed into her sister's shoulder.

A faint smile spread across Eris' lips. Though it was a trap, she still couldn't help enjoying the sensation of being held in Elexnia's arms.

"I miss you Nia..." Eris whispered softly against her sister's shoulder. She hadn't meant to speak, but something about the hug forced the words out of her. And why had she called Elexnia "Nia"? She hadn't called her sister by that name since they had been tiny tots, barely able to speak. Her cheeks glowed warmly from embarrassment and she hastily shooed the thoughts away.

"Umm... I'm sorry sister. I-I don't know what came over me." Eris mumbled into Elexnia's shoulder. She pulled away and carefully folded her hands in front of herself. "I have taken too much of your time. Thank you for stopping to see me, but I really must be going." With a polite little bow, Eris was off. She walked as fast as she could without running and hurried back to the common room.

As soon as she had thrown the door open, words came spilling out of her mouth. "Mel! Mel! It was all Elexnia! She was the one who put-" Eris paused. She could tell by the look on Melina's face that she already knew all there was to know, so she closed her mouth and quietly took a seat on the couch.

Eris looked over at the other two girls and a light blush grew across her cheeks. Melina's skill with cosmetics was evident on Steallaris' face. Eris had never seen Stella look so beautiful, even with Priscilla's help. She noticed Stella looking back at her through the mirror and quickly averted her gaze, her cheeks growing a bit redder. "You did a hell of a job on her Mel." she muttered.

Taking a book from the coffee table before her, Eris began to read, distracting herself until such a time that Melina would call upon her again.

Melina was taken aback a bit by this. Did Elexnias bullies truly scare Stella that much? What did they have on her that finally forced her into Melinas hands?

She recovered her face and actually gave her a genuine smile of appreciation.
Yes, of course I forgive you! You knew from the start that I wanted you on my side, you and Lady Vasseret! Come sit by the mirror, I will fix your hair.
“Thank you milady..” Stella said. Melina had be surprised. Stella gathered that much. Even if she recovered with an elegant speed. She clearly suspected there was more than simple bullying going on, but she wasn’t prying.

If she wasn’t seeking Stella was not offering the fact her greenhouse sanctuary was under threat. Not that the whole new level of targeted harassment helped…Then it was Stella’s turn to be slightly taken aback as she met Melina’s gaze.

The usual “social.” Smile Melina normally treated Stella to was replaced by one slightly different. This one’s warmth reached her eyes. No one touched Stella’s hair.

The curtain of silky raven hair was her pride.

Always managing to cover portions of her face.

And while unkept in a “I have better things to do right now.” Absentminded kind of way.

Melina knew how Stella felt about her hair. She surely had witnessed many a whimpering boy return to the school after an outing with Priscilla and Steallaris.

Running your fingers through its smooth, abysal waves, usually meant and resulted in, the loss of your finger or hand privileges for a bit of time.

But She had come this far.

And Stella didn’t have the heart to protest.

Melina truly was testing her limits and finding less resistance by the push.

She had the makings of a real beauty if Melina was willing to hammer in the forge a few times and Stella was smart enough to understand the advantage of this gift and accept her new friends tips and advice….

and maybe got a little more sun…just a little..

And yet she found herself being led over to the mirror.

She sat obediently waiting For Melina to return. Melina had listened to her.

Now she needed to listen to Melina.

She stiffened slightly as the young woman began fixing her hair, but quickly relaxed as the brush came into effect.

Almost too much..

She had closed her eyes for a moment feeling Melina’s hands in her hair along with the brush. Maybe she..

could…

could open her eyes and get a grip!

She opened her eyes slowly seeing Melina’s handiwork and letting out a small gasp of surprised pleasure at the sight. Priscilla did an amazing job fixing her up when she allowed her..But this was very well done..

In a way that matched her taste.

Not a color was off down to the eyeliner..How had Melina known at a simple glance…

It was impressive.. in a way that Stella understood better than most. It wasn’t the mere fact Melina was an amazing stylist at a glance.

Any merchant or peasants daughter could dress. But it was the fact that she had so many other talents, that this expertise was simply added to a list of many others Stella had already witnessed.

It never ceased to amaze her (if not privately.) how many talents Melina always seemed to have in areas Stella herself was so lacking…
... I think you see all of this social drama like a game, and you would be right. It is a game, a deadly game with our futures on the line.
She expertly navigated a difficult knot in her hair with the least amount of discomfort.
She looked at Stella through the reflection in the mirror.
Stella nodded. Even in the state she was in..Her eyes never lost the glitter of attention and absorption.

She gave a slight gasp of surprise rather than pain as the knot was quickly pulled lose with a slight tug.
Its a game I intend to win, Lady Salamanca. And rest assured, if you are with me, you will win as well.

The bottom line?

I wont let you down.
She nodded slowly. Both in agreement and in affirmation.

She understood the unspoken word as if Melina had spoken it plainly to her. Melina was well aware of her..Less than public activities.

And while surely disapproving of how it may reflect on her Stella was careful to ensure it never had.

Melina only choosing to only know of her dealings and business when it suited her. But she also understood the value in having someone as powerful in the schools underbelly as Stella.

Not many students could be the successful head of a gambling, fighting, and a magic herb and potion ring in such a way as to not only be lucrative, but also remaining totally secretive.

Stella was never suspected by the wrong people, and anyone suspicious often would find her shy demeanor and excellent grades often deterred them from looking further.

She didn’t know that Melina indulged in potion or pipe.

Now that Melina had begun bringing Stella to her side it might be useful to see if she could squeeze her into offering her a much better deal than what she got before.

At the moment she was basically paying to go around Stella.

Buying from one of her lackeys at an even higher price. So the seller could make money, and Stella was none the wiser to a massively juicy piece of potential black mail.

“Mother once said I had a head for games. Often while beating her in cards..” Stellaris quipped with a slight chuckle.

Before blushing realizing it was rather roguish behavior to be admitting to.

Well the kind of cards they had been playing at any rate..

“She also said that if you make a friend..Keep them..” Stella muttered. In truth her mother had said something similar but Stella wasn’t going to repeat

“some smart scheming Lady or Noble will see the use in you, and grab you by the collar if your lucky… and if they do cling to ‘em. Your not much to look at, not much to speak with, but your…Deal me another card.” She said with a slight snort of annoyance at her hand.

Stella looked at Melina’s work. She felt better, and looked it. She hadn’t looked this well kept in days. Her hair was a perfect sheet of naturally, lightly violet shaded midnight.

Before she realized what she was doing she slowly took Melina’s hand as the woman rested it on her shoulder. Admiring her own work along with Stella.

“Thank you again Lady Calcutte.” She would say softly. A smile threatening to almost break. Almost. A small grin of satisfaction and appreciation did appear however.

Which for Stella was the equivalent to beaming. Her eyes did narrow slightly however.

Not in suspicion but in focus as her mind began to work.

“Was there something I could do to repay you milady..” She asked.

Already knowing the answer..

But before she could receive one Eris came back in. Stella blushed a bit herself at Eris compliment. Compliments from a girl like Eris were usually more than genuine.

She also noticed the book Eris was reading. It was the textbook for the history class they shared. Eris had struggled in school and Stella had watched from afar.

With minor amusement if not uncaringly.. but now that she had been shown such kindness by a group she had thought were merely acquaintances…It wasn’t as funny now.. waiting for Melina to gesture she could stand.

“Think on it milady. And thank you again..” She said some what awkwardly but she was genuine. She carefully approached Eris.

Forgetting that she often startled the young woman with the way she moved so quietly.

“Eris..” She would say slowly sitting next to her.

“Would you like some help?” She said as casually as she could. Knowing full well Erie’s probably surprised reaction.

But looking to Melina she would hope to find approval of her actions..as she undoubtedly did she was sure Eris was as well.

Both Melina’s pets making sure she was ok with them making nice while she hatched her own plan and decided what they would each do next..

Last edited:
“Thank you again Lady Calcutte.” She would say softly. A smile threatening to almost break. Almost. A small grin of satisfaction and appreciation did appear, however.
"Fret not, Miss Salamanca. It's the least I could do!"

It was slightly freeing, to have both of the girls in her inner circle fully on her side. That meant she could do a little less pretending, just a little bit.
She of course knew she couldn't fully trust anyone; this WAS Mardanian nobility after all. But she now knew that Stella had no reason to betray her in any gainful way. That was an assurance that could allow her to relax a little bit more whenever they socialized together.

She could share a little bit more about her thoughts and plans and not worry about the information getting leaked inappropriately.
Allies... yes, allies were much better than subordinates.
Which for Stella was the equivalent to beaming. Her eyes did narrow slightly, however.

Not in suspicion but in focus as her mind began to work.

“Was there something I could do to repay you milady..” She asked.

Already knowing the answer..

But before she could receive one Eris came back in. Stella blushed a bit herself at Eris compliment. Compliments from a girl like Eris were usually more than genuine.
Melina did indeed have something in mind, but Eris bursting in interrupted her thought.

"Mel! Mel! It was all Elexnia! She was the one who put-" Eris paused. She could tell by the look on Melina's face that she already knew all there was to know, so she closed her mouth and quietly took a seat on the couch.
The look Melina gave her was annoyed, definitely annoyed.
Elexnia was the only one with any influence who had it out for her to the point of exerting said influence to hurt her.

But, the "look" was as far as her reprimand went. She assumed that she had completed her job and the incriminating evidence was delivered. It probably wasn't enough to get Lady Tungland expelled, but the school kept track of such "delinquent" reports, it could go on her record, she could get black marks for it and if future accusations were to be pinned on her, she could indeed face expulsion.
Lady Tungland isn't especially bright, but once she gets wind of this mark against her she'll think twice about sticking her neck out for Elexnia.
Eris looked over at the other two girls and a light blush grew across her cheeks. Melina's skill with cosmetics was evident on Steallaris' face. Eris had never seen Stella look so beautiful, even with Priscilla's help. She noticed Stella looking back at her through the mirror and quickly averted her gaze, her cheeks growing a bit redder. "You did a hell of a job on her Mel." she muttered.

Taking a book from the coffee table before her, Eris began to read, distracting herself until such a time that Melina would call upon her again.
Melina looked at her work in the mirror.
"A 'hell of a job' indeed. I've been dying to style this beautiful hair for a very long time! With a wardrobe adjustment, Lady Salamanca could certainly lean into the hellish monicker as my raven haired succubus!"
The moment between them had been a heavy one, now she teasingly gave Stella a brief tickle to the ribs to help lighten the mood.

"Do not think about repaying me for now, Miss Salamanca. As friends I imagine we will be indebted to each other many times over."

She turned her attention back to Eris as she started putting her tools away.
"How did your visit to the library go, Miss Fulton? Did something happen that made you suspect your sister all of a sudden?"
Honestly, Melina would have hoped Eris would catch on a lot quicker than this. Sure, they didn't have any solid evidence, but how much evidence did one need in a war of attrition?

She turned her attention back to Eris as she started putting her tools away.
"How did your visit to the library go, Miss Fulton? Did something happen that made you suspect your sister all of a sudden?"
Honestly, Melina would have hoped Eris would catch on a lot quicker than this. Sure, they didn't have any solid evidence, but how much evidence did one need in a war of attrition?
There was something about the look Melina gave her, and then way she asked the question that made Eris feel a bit foolish. Of course she should have suspected her sister from the start. But that was why Melina was the brains of the pair. Lady Calcutte could easily see the connection between things that Eris couldn't even begin to piece together.

"Well I had just delivered the damaged book to Madame Bergmont like you had asked, Lady Melina. And as I was making my back to the common room, Elex..."

Just the thought of Elexnia was enough to render Eris' face pale. She trembled slightly from the torment and stress she constantly felt living under her sister's thumb.

Eris momentarily considered filling Melina in on everything that had transpired, but ultimately decided to not bother the Lady with such needless personal details. "Anyway, my sister pretty much admitted to being behind the things that happened."

With her report done, Eris began thumbing through her text book. She resumed reading silently, but paused after a moment. "Elexnia also warned that what happened to Steallaris was just the beginning," Eris said, looking up at Melina. "Things are only going to worse for us from here on out. She's going to make out lives a living hell, I'm sure."

Turning back to her book, Eris added quietly, "One more thing, Lady Melina. She said you could do better than picking up other people's broken, discarded trash..." She returned to reading, feeling a bit ashamed.

Forgetting that she often startled the young woman with the way she moved so quietly.

“Eris..” She would say slowly sitting next to her.

“Would you like some help?” She said as casually as she could. Knowing full well Erie’s probably surprised reaction.
"Gah!" Eris jumped, her hand instinctively reaching for a weapon that wasn't there. She let out a long exasperated sigh seeing that it was just Stella. "Damn it, Salamanca! What did I tell you about doing that?!" Eris glared at the raven haired woman for a long moment before turning her attention back to her book with another sigh. "You're like a damn ghost..." she grumbled.

Wait... Help? Did Stella really just offer to help her with her assignment? Was this the same Steallaris Salamanca who had always silently judged Eris, and smirked as she failed test after test? The same woman who acted like she wanted nothing to do with her unless she was buying something? Maybe Melina cast some sort of spell on Stella while Eris had been gone?

Eris glanced over at Melina for help, but she seemed lost in thought. Well... If Lady Melina trusted Stella, then Eris supposed she had no reason to distrust her. "Oh. Um, yeah... I guess I could use some help... Thanks..."

She scooted closer to Stella until their thighs were tightly pressed together. Pushing the book to rest between them, Eris leaned over and pointed to a lengthy passage filled with names and dates. "This," she gestured vaguely. "How they hell am I supposed to explain what all these things have to do with each other? Like, I know the battle of Coldhollow was because of a territory despute between Dukes, but what does that have to do with the rest of that war? See over here, there's..."

Last edited:
  • Stressed
Reactions: Melina Calcutte