Dreadlords You Are Digging Your Grave

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group

Vittoria Larrainth

The Unmaker
Character Biography
Link
"Do not stop!"

The order was desperate as it was commanding, belonging to a Dreadlord that was not slowly weakened before being feasted upon by the creatures. Scouting missions did not often send out Initiates and Dreadlords out to the Falwood, but several reports of strangeness had been going around almost daily for the past month. A team had been sent in two weeks ago, and what they had discovered allowed a larger response to take a look into this.

"Keep running!" The voice was stronger, determined. He saw a reprieve they could afford, and called the command for the Initiates.

It was their luck that their group had made camp in an old ruin of a town that once existed in these parts of Liadain. Vittoria had heard her peers wonder if it were an elven town or one occupied by lesser fae. It did not truly pique her interest to dwell on such things, not when it was obvious no one had lived here for centuries. There were only a fair few buildings left standing and appropriate for them to find shelter in to sleep, but one night could not pass without a blood-curdling scream waking them all in the night.

Chaos erupted throughout their camp. They were far too spread out, and only three Dreadlords and four Initiates were in the same area for Ophir to direct to one of the larger buildings in the area. Vittoria reckoned it used to be a manor home, with the garden estate at the rear of the property now one with the Falwood. From here, they entered the home made from stone, wooden supports and beams rotted and waiting to collapse in the next storm.

Her side felt as if it would tear apart, but Vittoria pushed herself, willed herself to run and make it past those doors. She had such a speed on her that she did not register how soon she would crash into a mossy wall, but even that sharp pain could not be felt over the burning of her lungs and protest in her legs. Fear of the unknown. None of them knew what it was they were running from, but Vittoria replayed the image of the creatures running on all fours before standing on their hind legs, looking almost humanoid save for the abnormal shape of their heads.

It felt like a risk to breath, to catch her breath.

Were they even safe here?

There were plenty of creature stories told to young children about beasts that went bump in the night to make them mind. Most of them, where Vel Anirian children were concerned, originated from the Falwood in order to maintain the appearance that only horror lived within. Kilien knew better than to believe such stories, but it didn't stop his own feet from scrambling to keep up with Vittoria who was proving to be much faster than he'd thought she could be.

He'd made it through the doors mere moments after her, brown hair wildly strewn about eyes wide and white as he nearly ate-dirt in an attempt to turn and hold the door for the others behind him.

"Come on - COME ON GET IN!" his yell did not carry as far as he hoped through the heady air of the Falwood, but he stood ready to slam the door shut and block it as soon as the last of them cleared the entrance.

So much for a simple scout mission. This was far more than any of them bargained for.

Norah's fair skin never looked so pale. Brown and dark leathers sticking to her skin like the thick air around them. Her lithe form slipped through the door Basmarc held open after his shout. The brown-headed girl had been lucky tonight. Those around her?

Not so much.

The scream of the guard behind her hadn't lasted long before it had gone silent with a squishy-crunching sound. Another guard in front of her had tripped and, well, that was that. Her shoulder thumped lightly against the mossy wall Vittoria nearly ran through. And for a moment, the shadows of the house edged closer to Norah - reaching and eager.

"Did you see their eyes?" She managed after pulling some air into her lungs.

Cormund ran like hell, tears lightly stinging his eyes. His visions were being agreeable lately, and he was given inklings of exactly where not to step. The screams of the damned in his ears rang out both in reality and in his senses. Only the gods know why he was invited on this mission, maybe precisely because they didn't think things would be going quite this wrong.

The raven haired boy dived for the door held open by his classmate and now almost savior. He was bringing up the rear and felt something cut into his calf. Maybe he caught it on something, but in his mind it was no doubt the claws of something just on their heels. Cormund was the last, just barely making it through the door as it shut behind him.

He lay there on the floor giving panting, heaving breaths. He tried to wipe the tears from his eyes but they just kept coming, even if they weren't accompanied by any sobs.

"Gods, but did I see the eyes... horrible, horrible things..."

Cormund wouldn't be rising from that musty floor for a good long while.

Vittoria was not going to chance anything reaching them. With a surge of magic, she sent it out the door Kilien held open. A series of chittering could be heard and Vitt pushed the door closed with Kilien's help, latching it closed to buy them some time. She looked to Kilien for a brief moment, looking as if she were to say something before Ophir began to pick up those who made it inside off the floor.

"Up! Get up!" Dreadlord Ophir roused them all, and was quick to walk through the room and into a dark hallway. "And whatever you do from now on, do not use magic."

Vitt hardened her face. It was all she could do as she made to move after the Dreadlord that worked with Initiates the most in this coming year. To help them become ready for after graduation.

She passed Norah, giving her a flick of her gaze before looking to Cormund. "I do not know what you both saw, but those things out there hunt in packs. They have no eyes."

She did not wish to say it aloud, hoping there was a chance she was wrong. But she saw what dasked behind Cormund and wounded him, had seen the way one of the unlucky Dreadlords further back fell victim to.

"Move!" Ophir bellowed, and Vittoria ushered her classmates to follow after the two other remaining Dreadlords that did not wait around for the door to break down behind them.

The group moved through the hall, slowing their pace in order to better hear what was happening on the outside. The manor had seen better days, but the roof and ceilings held true despite the many gaping holes in some walls of the place. "I can't be sure what is attacking our camp, but best we caution and not use magic. If it is what I think they---"

"Kraits." Vittoria interjected. "I saw them."

Ophir swore. "Kraits hunt on sensing magic. They know where we are, but magical traces would lead them straight to us. Who here is injured? We're going to find a secure spot to rest a moment and tend to wounds."

"No eyes?" Cormund stared at his hands, what he saw almost as burned into his vision as the sight of the doomed. "I-I guess they didn't have them, but it felt like they were staring right into me..." The initiate shuddered. He had never felt so hunted before, encountering his natural predator in the wild.

He quickly got to his feet, limping slightly with the gash in his calf. He followed the group as he talked.

"No Magic? I'm-I'm practically a magical beacon, I can't turn this off!" The Doomsayer pointed to his piercing teal eyes. "The best I can do is avoid saying any prophecies out loud, I hope that's enough..." Secretly, he was a bit glad to avoid the dehydration that came with stating his visions aloud.

Cormund raised his hand sheepishly when Ophir asked for the injured, and made his way towards whatever temporary triage they were setting up. Too bad healing magic was out of the question.

Don't use magic. Right. Well, that was easy.

For him.

Kilien peeled himself away from the door after checking it was properly locked, giving it a hairy second glance on the thought that it still might not hold up to whatever those things were. Kraits, according to Vittoria. He had no idea what a Krait was and he'd not gotten a good look at any of them - among the Initiates, Kilien was the sort to put self preservation before bravado when it counted.

Taking up the rear as the group moved deeper into the manor, the dire circumstances of their situation continued to slowly unveil themselves. His eyes followed Cormund and his lamentations, wondering if there was anything in his own arsenal of parlor tricks, as King so thoughtfully put them, that could help.

"I... know a spell to mask one's presence for a short time," he offered to Ophir, "it's quick and unconcentrated - shouldn't draw their attention too much. I could also set some lures to distract them from us."

Maybe it was a glint of moonlight off their carapace.

No magic?

Norah grimaced but silently trailed after Cormund Augur. Then let the space grow between them as he talked about being unable to turn it off. The slight, shorter girl became a shadow next to @Vittoria. Others eyed the other initiate warily but Norah walked as closely to the other girl as if she could trust a dagger not to suddenly slit her throat.

Her thumb brushed the outline of the coin in her pocket.

There were thieves tunnels around here. Norah would recognize the entrance of one if she could get back outside. It was a gamble for how close they were. She'd just have to find the right opportunity to slip away. She had a feeling staying together would only paint a larger target on their backs.

"Maybe we should split up," she offered to Ophir.

Ophir spoke before Vittoria could twist the knife into Cormund's lack of control.
"Do it." He said to Basmarc. "And the lures. Buy us enough time to make a plan here."
"Maybe we should split up." Came the words of the smaller Initiate. Ophir looked at the four present Initiates and gritted his teeth. He turned to the other Dreadlords, two others beside him. Third Levels.
Their exchange was wordless. How many times had Ophir said he was in charge of the Initiates? They both moved on, scouting ahead.
Vittoria met his gaze. "Kraits are resistant to magical attacks." She stated simply.
"But destructive magic can slow them down." He answered.
Vittoria smiled. It chilled him.
"Then we best patch up the dead weight and get moving." Her gaze settled on Cormund.

"Yes Sir," Kilien drawled while simultaneously procuring his wand from the inner pocket of his coat. The worn handle secured within his fingers, his boots quickly brought him to Cormund Augur's side. If they wanted his wound to be healed quickly it would require magic - either by potion or spell which would do exactly the opposite of what they needed right now.

The masking spell would have to come first.

"Hey Augie," Kil offered his fellow Initiate a wane smile that he hoped would calm his nerves a bit, "gonna get you fixed up but first need to mask you. Hold still a minute."

With wand raised just before Cormund's head and his free hand lightly furling open in a gesture towards his figure, Kilien closed his eyes and silently began the incantation within his own mind. The wand tip gave off a faint glow the color of strained peaches as he slowly began to sweep it side to side, criss-crossing the air before the boy's face and then-

THWACK - tapped him sharply with the end on the center of his forehead. The whole casting took no longer than a few seconds.

A sensation like an egg being broken over his head, its contents flowing down over top would follow as the spell washed over him. A light scent of burnt hair wafted through.

"There," he said as he clapped a hand on Cormund's shoulder, "try not to have any prophetic sneezes, okay?"

Last edited: