Discussion Writer's Room

Nicopernicus

I see a lot of questions in the Discord about how to become more effective writers throughout my month here so far, a couple of people sliding in my DM's with these sorts of questions. Last night I brought up the idea that maybe we should start a Discord channel to help answer these questions, yet it was made clear to me it would probably be better here on the forum website itself seeing as not everyone is in the Discord! Therefore, I'll be leaving this up here to create an open space for people to amass the knowledge required to take each other to the next level, if they so wish, as I've been on a journey to develop my own craft. Please feel free to share any links and such regarding the topic of writing itself, and lets help each other to grow in our art form! As the Latins said: Docendo Discimus! (The Best Way To Learn Is To Teach)

To start off, I'd like to share this great video describing the qualities that come together to help shape and mold the iconic lines we've seen in many movies, and why they are as they are! While this is film analyzing, it is still relevant on the topic of writing in general, as someone had to write the script to these films, so expect to see me posting film analytics as well! The Closer Look is a great channel that's provided me with a lot of insight regarding these topics, so don't be surprised if more of his videos pop up here in the future!

This next video is by another channel I frequent, Hello Future Me, where he speaks on the effects of magic systems relevant to the title they come from, how they influence the world and story, as well as their balances and limitations! This was an idea I had on my plate for a while to address, as I've seen a couple characters who seem to be the Masters of All Trades throughout my time roleplaying, and wanted to help clarify to beginners why it might even be better that your character be more limited in scope relevant to magic regarding the ways in which they'll have to react in encounters and solve problems, as the fun in storytelling, at least in my opinion, are those nail biting, harrowing situations where it is unclear whether or not the character will make it through! But I digress, this is a video to help explain magic systems (specifically ones which have a central role in the character arcs and plot as a whole, used often, or HARD SYSTEM, another video which will be linked after this for SOFT SYSTEM, where magic isn't as central a role) and help those who are looking to create their characters with wild and fantastical concepts and abilities!

Tale Foundry is a great channel, and this video in specific gives a general overview on Worldbuilding, as that is what we are doing here in The Chronicles RP Forum! Tale Foundry gives the breakdowns of some of our favorite classical settings to show us the specifics of what draws people in when they read such tales as The Lord of the Rings, or Game of Thrones, showing how the imaginative minds behind the stories delved into those worlds themselves and fleshed out not a story with a need for a place, but a place with a need for a story! I decided to make this the final video shared of my initial posting of this thread, as I felt this was the most necessary to bring forward to people's attention in regards to crafting their ideas here on the forum! This video is the first of a three part series, which I highly recommend you all take a gander towards if you're looking for sparks on the anvil of the mind!

I hope these sources of information help flowering artists to grow, please feel free to add anymore parcels of wisdom that will help your fellow creators grow! I hope to see a budding community where one another thrive off the shared resources we may pool together to shape the world of Chronicles, a place I'm beginning to enjoy dearly! Until my next dump, see you later!

While not completely in line with the act of teaching better writing skills, this is definitely a great thought provoking video analyzing the movie "In the Mouth of Madness" to help us better understand where our thoughts and ideas are coming from, and what they may be influenced by. It's a long watch, but well worth it for the points made throughout! Shared this on Facebook and thought it would have good relevance here!

Nicopernicus back again with another video, this time on character development for your more antagonistic characters! Had to post it on my account for Kreyadis since I've been in the works of developing him here for the thread, a most favorite character of mine from my days on World of Warcraft, where I ported the idea for him from! Hope this helps anyone looking to construct their own antagonists, as I've seen a lot of do gooders on the Chronicles RP Forum and thought to myself that we need a bit more baddies to cause chaos in the region! c:<

Hey guys, back at it again with another video since I can't sleep! Here is an overview of the archetypal story structure seen throughout many of our greatest stories and films both told on paper and on screen, using the film 'The Dark Knight' as the backdrop to analyze Dan Harmon's rendition of what he feels to be the common theme reoccurring throughout many of the influential tales both of old, and of our modern day and age! Few words can be said on this, as the video speaks for itself! I hope it helps to put storytellers on the right path in their goals, giving a strong base for anyone who wishes to bring their ideas to life!