Private Tales Where Nightmares Fade and Dreams Bloom

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Kes let the magic ebb away from the both of them, turning to the old man as he continued to speak. Though… as he continued, her brow knit in confusion. Drendor -- Father -- had… capped her magic? Her knee-jerk reaction was to disbelieve it. He’d only ever protected her, helped her… Thanis had barely met them and drugged them to get what he wanted, certainly far less trustworthy.

But… ever since touching the portal stone, she’d felt the pull of her magic so much more strongly. Even taking Thanis into the cloak, it’d some how felt… easier. Like she could have stretched more and they would have been okay, further than she’d ever stretched before. If Thanis was right, that was because she didn’t have the limitations that Drendor had put on her… but she didn’t even know how to begin to comprehend the implications of what that might mean.

Then Thanis took them to Gavin, and it was only his warnings fresh in the half-elf’s ears and the look of intense determination on the captain’s face that stayed her hand.

Instead, her eyes went to the door that Gavin’s attention was on, staring at it intently before looking back at Thanis. “Wait, what --” she began, because he was still talking about ‘colors’ which she only barely sort of understood and now she was supposed to not only see in it but do *something* which also didn’t make any sense -- but then his thumb had pressed to her forehead and she inhaled sharply at the sudden rush of mana tingling along every nerve, shooting into parts of her that she didn’t even knew existed.

It was like the world sort of shifted a little bit, and suddenly, she could see through it -- or at least through some of the layers of it -- and she reached out with one hand, stretching her fingers forward. She couldn’t have explained what she was doing, not if someone was standing there asking her about it, all she knew was that she knew what to do even if it wasn’t exactly clear *how* she was doing it… Because right there, right in front of her, there was something she could see… something that wasn’t supposed to be there.

So she pulled, drawing the magic there into herself, into her own cloak, letting it trickle into her. It felt like the amulet had -- cold and sticky in a way that was distinctly unpleasant -- and it made shivers go down her spine as she took the magic on herself, but she plowed on. Another layer, then another, just like Thanis had said -- blanket upon blanket thrown over top of the Blackfyre, until she reached the final one. She was sweating by then, trembling, but she didn’t even consider stopping as she reached out one last time. With a grit of her teeth, she grabbed hold, and then let it simply fade into her, the way she would let someone go back to visible if she was releasing them…

… only it wasn’t so much a ‘someone’ she released but a large, ornate cage that framed the rest of the prison, gilded and gorgeous, but thick and almost disenhearteningly solid. Massively large, towering above them… and barely, inside, a flickering form of shadow and fire.

“... Blackfyre,” Kes panted, feeling somewhere between mingled relief and desperation… It was here, now. But… how did they free it?!

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
The roar was deafening, rivaling the continuous booms of the thunder storm they braved once upon a time. It echoed in the far reaches of his mind, the announcement of the beast trapped with in. From the darkness two large eyes appeared wondrous, and oddly reminiscent of Kestrel's own eyes. They hovered above them, towering and only growing larger as the steps of a massive beast came closer. Slowly it's form materialized from the inky blackness within the cage and it was a sight to behold.

The Blackfyre was large and catlike, it's maw similar to that of a lion with a shaggy mane that that hand to long tendrils of fur trailing behind it. At each end curiously enough, burned a black flame. Around it's eyes where a blacken pattern of fur, nearly tribal in appearance with it's sharpness. In addition, large curved horns, similar to that of a rams, framed it's forehead. It's fur was mostly white, quickly bleeding off into a tone of purple that was delicate and would have been the envy of any artist searching for such a color. It's large muscled chest was spotted. A aura of mana seemed to surround it's body, shimmering as it heat poured from it's body but nothing could be felt.

The Blackfyre was a thing of beauty, awesome in appearance, but it's paws were huge as will as it's large teeth which poked out from it's lips. It stood in full view of all three, it's lazy gaze staring down to them.

Thanis stood in awe, a large tome materializing beside his head and opening to a blank page. He mumbled to himself, describing the scene at hand and in turn ink filled the blank page. He was was recording this moment, words as well as a picture spreading across the page. Gavin seemed genuinely surprised, his mouth hanging open in shock. To hear this beast was one thing... To see it.. That was another.

The Blackfyre spoke, it's voice deep and near guttural, powerful in every which way. "About time someone freed me... Anyone going to open this door?"

• Yay
Reactions: Kestrel
Kes could feel the magic she’d absorbed humming through her, making her fingertips tingle like icy pinpricks against her nerves… but none of that mattered as the magic was removed and revealed the creature in front of them. The half-elf stared up at it in obvious awe. She’d only ever seen that glimpse of it when it had taken on a human form, a form that was not reflective of this one that was in front of her… but this, this must be the truth of it. And it was so much more than she would have ever expected.

Then it spoke, and, maybe Kes should have hesitated or been concerned or thought twice -- but she didn’t.

She strode forward, not waiting for permission or direction, and put her hand on the door. It didn’t want to budge, and the feeling of it was like her hand was burning and freezing at the same time, a raw power that raked along her nerves and made her want to let go for her own sheer safety -- but she didn’t. She gripped it, gritted her teeth, and yanked with all of her might. The door resisted, and she set her feet harder, pulling with everything in her… and finally, finally, the door cracked open.

Once that crack was accomplished, Kes gripped the door itself with both hands. It took everything she had left in her… but she didn't give up or stop until she had pulled it all the way open.

Panting hard, she stepped back, moving towards Gavin -- who, she hoped was the real Gavin -- and leaving plenty of room for the giant creature in front of her to emerge from its cage.

“I’m sorry --” she blurted out. “This is my fault… I didn’t know -- I wouldn’t have, if I did-- I didn’t mean for…” She gestured at the cage, miserably guilty.

• Yay
Before he could speak any words of appreciation for her help in uncovering the Blackfyre, Kes went further and opened the cage that contained it. Gavin stood in shock as the door opened and Kes began to apologize.

The man of fire she saw earlier appeared before them, fear in his voice as he spoke. "The door.. It's been open... It's-"

"None of your concern." The Blackfyre spoke in it's rumbling voice as it's paw slammed down beside them, causing the world itself to shake and the man of fire to vanish, as if he were a flame that was snuffed out.

As Kestrel could see now the man of fire and the Blackfyre were two different beings. With the amount of voices in Gavin's mind currently, it was quite the party.

"Thank you cub." He purred down towards Kestrel, his large eyes locked upon her with a familiarity.

During the battle on the ship, the Blackfyre had asked Gavin several times to be set free. Gavin had not though, as advised by the man of fire it's former host. That decision had been overwritten now though.

"What did you do to him!" Gavin yelled in a fit of rage directed at the Blackfyre.

"I locked him away for now... See how he liked it." The large beast yawned and sat upon it's haunches.

"You what! Bring him back!" Gavin went on.

"I don't think I will.. You see I entered a contract with man once... The first ones kept their bargain... But in time they betrayed me... I have my freedom back and I do not plan on simply giving it up." The Blackfyre went on. "But I am not with out my limitations.. We are bonded until your death... I would rather you not die.... And I will not blame you for the ignorance of others... You've my power now... I just require one thing of you both in return."

Gavin shared a confused look with Kes, unsure what the beast was asking of them. From what he had been told, the beast was sealed for a reason. He then looked to Thanis who was quiet up until now.

"I've no reason to doubt him... I sense no malice in his voice at all... Just a yearning.... For life." The old mage said as his tome recorded the moment.

• Yay
The great being towered overhead of them, so ferocious and unworldly in its beautiful power, making Kes forget for a moment that this was a dream world, that this was all some magical mumbo-jumbo that the thief didn’t exactly understand… All she could see was this otherworldly god, looking down at her without anger or malice, but this easy familiarity that made her smile, even tenuously…

… at least, until the other man, the shadow-fire-man who’d spoken to her all those months ago on the deck of the boat was snuffed out, an act that seemed to upset Gavin. Kes could only assume it was his father or brother, the one who’d passed the Blackfyre on to him, so she reached out and put a hand on Gavin’s shoulder, just trying to reassure him that she was there and supported him even if she didn’t understand completely where the man might have gone. Locked up at least didn’t seem as permanent as ‘destroyed’ so she turned back to the big creature as it rumbled about requiring something from them.

Casting a glance over her shoulder at Thanis, she looked back up at the Blackfyre, those amethyst eyes resting on him without a hint of fear or nerves, just admiration.

“What is it you want? And will it hurt Gavin? Because I won’t let anything like that happen, not even for something like you,” she said, just a bit ferociously. Didn’t matter that the Blackfyre literally loomed over them and was a creature beyond anything Kes had ever dreamed of meeting -- at the end of the day, there wasn’t anyone or anything Kes wouldn’t stare down -- or stab -- for her beloved captain.

"A fierce little cub you are." The Blackfyre purred, amused.

"A pact is all... I formed one with the first ones... But when I was imprisoned the pact was broken... My power was taken and not given as it was meant to be.... This pact will fix what was once broken... We will enter a contract and our lives will be bonded... He will not be harmed at all... In fact, it will be sparing him pain... Else he will suffer the same fate as past men who have taken my name."

"Fate as past men..." He repeated the words. Gavin fell silent for a long while as he recalled a conversation he had with the one who passed it on to him. A conversation that was cryptic, of power having a price and that price being damning. He never got the full details, but the bits he gathered led him to believe what the Blackfyre said to be true. It wasn't just a blood price he was paying. He looked to Kes, conflicted. He could not enter such a pact... And not use his magic again... Though in truth, he felt broken with out it... As evident as their time spent in the mist. But feeling that way would mean living... Longer... With her. Or he could trust in this... Thing... And walk out with power... And perhaps his life being spared? With Drendor after her... He would need this power that was offered.

"And if I agree to this pact... What do you get out of it." Gavin said. This contract couldn't be so one sided... The beast standing before them had to get something out of this deal.

"I get to stretch my legs... Fair... no?"

• Yay
Kes pursed her lips, obviously not pleased at being referred to as a ‘little cub’, no matter how fierce the Blackfyre thought she was or how much it amused him. Still, there were matter at hand, and the big creature in front of them continued to lay out its… demand? Offer? Thanis, as usual, was not helpful, his magic book scribbling away… and the half-elf was left to look to her beloved with a furrow in her brow.

Once, the first night they’d spent together, she’d asked Gavin what the price of his magic was. He’d told her he paid a blood price -- like almost every other mage she knew of, trading their own energy for the gift to do amazing things. There’d been something more though, something heavy underneath his calm response, that had made the half-elf more than a bit suspicious that it wasn’t nearly that straightforward. Now, here the Blackfyre itself was, all but confirming that there was something more, something greater, that would be demanded of its wielder.

Except if it were to ... agree to this pact.

“Let me get this straight. You want Gavin to give you control so you can … stretch your legs. You’ve said that it won’t harm him, but what do you actually want? What’s to stop you from just… taking over and burning down everything and everyone around him?” The half-elf planted her hands on her hips, looking up at the fantastical being in front of them. “I’d rather have a Gavin without powers and with himself intact than an all-powerful Gavin wreaking havoc because you’ve been bored.”

"You think me some beast... A wild monster? Little cub... Far from the truth... " The Blackfyre looked down to the half elf with a curiosity in his eyes. "You are a fierce one aren't you... Well here's the truth of the matter at hand... I've no desire to take control... If he dies, I die as well.. Though I've long left your world, I have no desire to vanish into the ether.."

"I understand..." Gavin spoke up. "Kestrel... I... I do not wish to give up control to anyone but... But Drendor... With the means he has at hand, I'm going to need something to battle him.. I will not let him take you..."

Gavin argued. The scales were tipped and Gavin came to his decision.

"I am not taking control... we are going to be bonded, as it should have been.. And then you know the truth of the Blackfyre... Any objects little one?" He asked, amused between the two.

• Yay
Kes planted her hands on her hips, looking up at the Blackfyre with a stern look, like she was going to lay some rules down -- but Gavin had already moved on, mentioning Drendor, and the half-elf’s brow furrowed. “Gavin, he won’t --” she began, not even sure why she felt the sudden need to defend him except that she felt she had to. Only the Blackfyre looked between the two and was prompting them both whether or not it was an acceptable solution, and Kes sort of stared at Gavin helplessly.

“If...if this is what you want. I don’t care whether you have powers or not. I’m not going anywhere,” she told him, reaching out and gently wrapping one of her hands around his own. “Don’t do this just for me. I’ll -- we’ll -- be fine, I swear.”

Regardless, she turned back to the Blackfyre, regarding him with that stubborn protectiveness of hers. “And you’d better be being completely honest about protecting him and keeping him safe or so help me I’ll put you right back in that cage.” Bluff and bluster? Probably. But also not outside of the half-elf’s wheelhouse, if it came down to it. She’d fought her way through a demon world to protect Gavin, she wasn’t about to be cowed by a single entity.

• Yay
The Blackfyre's face soured slightly, annoyed she had figured out that she can not only remove it from it's cage but put it back in. "I will not go back on my word little cub.... That is my pact with you... I will not harm this vessel and you will not place me in any cages.. I tire of restrictions imposed by man any how...." He relented.

"And what of the one you put away?" Gavin asked, an edge to his voice.

"I will release him... only after we'be bonded. There is a truth you have yet to learn... I will not have him attempt to stop you."

Gavin shared a weary glance with Kes before slowly nodding. She stated she would love him no matter what, however he could not bare for anything to happen to have. Give the forces at Drendor's command, he could not afford to not be on even ground. Gavin looked to Thanis who remained ever stoic, simply recording the moment.

"Fair.. I suppose... Ready when you are." Gavin said, not exactly sure what was expected of him.

"Then stand side by side little ones... The contract is simple... You are to enter a union... My power granted to you at my behest... We are tethered... And you... You are the means to end that if you see fit... Be advise though... I have no plans on going back.. And if you try and trick me, I will fight..." The Blackfyre informed them as Gavin came to stand besides Kes.

Kestrel’s eyes narrowed slightly at the Blackfyre when it pressed the issue of not going back in a cage, regarding it with this stubborn jut to her chin. She didn’t say anything more, though, not wanting to push it while Gavin and the Blackfyre were coming to an agreement… and an agreement they did, the big creature directing them to stand next to each other. The half-elf sort of had to glance around herself as if to make sure that it really was supposed to include her, not some other mage (like Thanis).

Her eyes went to Gavin as he stepped next to her, then looked up at the Blackfyre.

“You protect him. We protect you. It’s as simple as that,” she replied, her hand slipping out to wrap around Gavin’s. She didn’t know if she thought this was a good idea -- the Blackfyre was a creature beyond their understanding and had hinted heavily at this ‘truth’ that they had to learn -- but Gavin seemed inclined to trust the creature, and now that Kes knew that she had at least some degree of affecting what was going on… well, somehow she felt a little bit better about their chances.

“Okay,” she said, giving Gavin’s hand a reassuring squeeze.

• Yay
The Blackfyre huffed, it's massive maw bearing down upon them. It's blacken lips curved upward in a odd cat like smile. It seemed Kes's words resonated with it and it offered a pleased response in return. The moment lasted but a scant few seconds before it's huge paw was lifted up and brought to hover above them. Gavin canted his head upwards to look towards the furred limb in awe. It was built like a big cat, a lion, tiger, jaguar... It's paw was padded with blacken thick skin and though he could appreciate it's massive claws before, as it came closer he had a new found respect for them. They were easily as large as one of his legs and he could just imagine the damage it could do with it.

Luckily the beast sort not to do damage. Instead the beast tilted it's paw at an angle so it could make up for the height difference between the two and soon it was effectively touching the top of both of their heads. "I am bonded to you and tethered to the other. One will wield my power, the other control it.. A pact shall be made... Protect me and I shall protect you." The last words seemed tact on, as if the beast with it's grumbling voice was teasing Kes.

Before Gavin could ask what his words meant, a warmth flooded his body. A familiar warmth. He felt a strange energy returning to his limbs and his body began to tingle. He wondered if Kes felt the same sensation spreading through her body his neck felt dangerously hot as if fire crept up the tender skin along either side. The heat lasted but a moment and before he could think to react, it was over, the pain gone as if it had never even occurred.

There was a low rumbling that filled the expanse of the darkness next, the unmistakable sound of a raging fire to be exact. It surrounded the trio suddenly, a, all powerful flame that swallowed all.The sound grew louder around them and yet, Gavin remained calm. In the flame was comfort. Under the reassuring paw of the Blackfyre, he felt no fear. With her hand held in his own, he could withstand anything.

Thanis recorded every moment, eyes wide and unblinking. If this was the real world, they would have long gone dry and red from irritation. but this was no the real world. Still, the magic being used was real enough. He watched as the massive cat like beast blast it's paw over them and no sooner did a black glow if there was such a thing crept over it's form. There was some exchange happening, that much was clear. Soon the darkness of the expanse began to fade and a bright light appeared at it's center where the trio stood. Soon, the light grew in intensity and Thanis could barely make out what was happening but he knew well enough what was taking place.

He smiled as the book closed and faded from existence and closed his own eyes.

Gavin awoke with a jolt, jumping up form his chair so that he was no longer resting back. He was breathing hard, near gasping for breath. He looked down and saw he was holding Kes's hand and his gaze trailed up to her beautiful face. However the more he looked to her, the more he realized something was different. There was an odd markings on either side of her neck. He dizzily leaned over to her and with his free hand, brushed her hair aside to look at first one side of her neck, then the other. She now had spots, like a big cat, oddly shaped and much like a leopard or jaguars.

No... like the Blackfyre.

The thought came to mind, remembering the appearance of the big cat. He slowly touched his own neck, one if he sported the same spots? His gaze moved down, thoughtful, before returning to her own, the candle light flickering and his own very much amethyst eye locking upon her own.

Gavin was about to speak with a odd yawn from behind them caught his attention and he slowly twisted in his seat to see the Blackfyre seated behind them. It was not as big as it had been in his mind,, but it was very much still large and easily as big as he was. It sat on it's haunches, it's strange tendrils hovering in the air behind it, and it just looked to the many faces staring at it, a confused expression upon it's wild face.

"What?" he said in it's rumbling voice. "Something on on my face?"

• Yay
Kes looked up as the Blackfyre extended its paw over top of them, her hand tightening on Gavin’s. Then it was speaking and for a moment, Kes was confused -- wait, her as well, wasn’t this Gavin’s thing? -- but it was too late to ask because magic was tingling through her, white-hot power that flooded along her arms to her fingertips, sparkling through her brain. It … felt like her own magic, that same stretching warmth, calling to a part of her that wanted to respond but didn't know how yet, but to a degree that she’d hardly ever felt -- only after she’d touched the portal stone. Even then, this was different, more intense, more like the fire raging around them...

Then the magic washed over her and the world went black once more.

Her eyes fluttered, her body aching in a strange way, especially the back of her neck -- which was where Gavin’s hands were, moving her hair to the side and making her grimace slightly at the attention. “What?” she asked, turning her eyes to him, sort of glancing at his hands as if wondering what he was doing… at least until her eyes caught sight of the new pattern on the back of his neck, spilling out to the base of his ears as well. Her fingers reached out to touch the new markings, "Gavin, your neck," she started, surprised...

… and then the Blackfyre yawned, and Kes sat up, staring at the creature behind them.

“You’re… you’re here,” she observed, so smartly. Glancing at Gavin, she looked over at Thanis, to see if either of them expected this or knew even what to say about it, before looking back at the creature. “How… why are you here? Not that it isn’t … It’s really neat, just… unexpected, I guess?”

• Yay
"He's like a familiar...." Thanis spoke from across them, his tome appearing once more to record.

"Familiar's are like me...." The Blackfyre corrected.

"He has a connection.. With you Kestrel... Your powers allow him to manifest... And Gavin can wield his powers..... A shared connection... Very interesting." Thanis further explained, at least to the best of his ability.

"So... Now I have a big cat following me around?" Gavin let out as the Blackfyre rose to all fours.

"You have a big cat protecting you... Don't worry, you will have privacy... This is a.. Projection of myself, nothing more.... It is nice however, to see the world through my own eyes again however." And just like that, the beast moved to pad out of the room, a shimmer moving through out it's coat as it faded from sight.

"Easier then I expected it to be... Now that I have you two here... Let's discuss payment." Thanis said with a small grin, folding his hands in front of his own.

It seemed help was not free these days.

• Yay
Kestrel looked between Thanis and the Blackfyre as the mage stated his bit about him being a familiar -- corrected by the Blackfyre himself as to the more accurate portrayal of what had just occurred. A look of confusion and shock that only deepened when Thanis noted a connection to … her? She reached up towards her neck again, looking over at Gavin as the big cat creature just… strolled away.

She just stared for a moment, watching even after the creature had disappeared into … noting, really. She could still feel him, though, distantly, like an echo that she felt instead of heard… A connection, indeed.

Her amethyst eyes drifted to Gavin for a moment, her brow furrowing in contemplation…

… and then Thanis was talking about payment.

The half-elf moved faster than most could normally track, slapping down a dagger into the wood of the table in front of them, dangerously close to the mage’s hands. Though Gavin would know the mage was in no danger of actually being stabbed -- it was a tiny dagger and Kes was quite good with her aim, even when annoyed. “Payment?” she burst out. “After you drugged us and put us in how much danger?! You’ll be lucky if I don’t --”

• Yay
"Wait.. Should he be leaving?" Gavin reached out for the Blackfyre as it wandered out. Something about a big cat stalking the area even if it was invisible didn't sit well with him.

He was moments away from rushing after the beast when Thanis spoke of payment. He turned to look back at the old man when Kes spoke up.

"You're lucky... We're here Thanis." Gavin finished the sentence of her. "What is it you need old man." He smiled and shared a look with Kes.

"A particular book I need... And I don't have it." Thanis said, underplaying what he had in mind.

"Alright... And where is this book." Gavin asked wondering why Thanis was suddenly being vague.

"In the care of Thancrid Oldshire." Thanis said with out skipping a beat. "I need you to steal it."

And Gavin pale and for a moment said nothing. And then, there it was. The frustation that Kes surely felt boiled over and spilled out of him.

"Are you mad old man! Thancrid Oldshire... You want us to steal from one of the most powerful mages in this city... Possibly the region! Here I am pandering to you and telling my love not to worry about the old eccentric man because he means well... And you want us to what... Break into his estate, lift the book, and bring it back here as if we were having a simple stroll up to a hill to have a romantic picnic?" Gavin was huffing by the end.

"If you don't mind..." Thanis said as if he was asking the most simple of requests.

• Yay
Gavin finished her sentence before she could make good on her potential threat -- whatever was coming out of her mouth was certainly not going to be nearly as nice or professional as her beloved’s words. The half-elf at least resisted the urge to pull out any more knives, though that was put to the test when Gavin exploded about the task the mage had put in front of them.

‘Stealing’ something wasn’t that problematic. Not really, it was sort of what Kes did best. So initially, the thief sort of calmed a little bit at that being their ‘task’... that was, until Gavin continued and supplied more context… context that did not amuse the half-elf, not at all.

“I could just stab him and be done with it,” Kes offered to the dark-haired man next to her. It was sounding like a better and better option the more that came out of the old mage’s mouth.

“What’s this book, then, old man? Why’s it so important you risk pissing us off?”

• Yay
Thanis grinned, relaxing back into his seat and folding his hands before him. It was a look Gavin knew well. it was a look he didn't like either.

"Just a old tome with interesting notes on creatures... A guide book one might say. I have a collection of interesting reads, and this would be a most welcomed addition." He said in a relaxed tone, down playing the importance of what he asked of them.

Gavin however knew full well what he was asking for. "Thiago's Notes?" He blurted out. "Not this again old man."

"Yes this ago, and this time it is the real one." Thanis countered.

Figuring Kes wouldn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about, Gavin turned to her to fill her in. "Thiago's Notes is a collection of entries regarding mythical creatures that Monster Hunter Thiago came across.... Suppose to be one of most detailed accounts on dragons, gargoyles, and other creatures."

"Primals mostly." Thanis was excited to add in.

"Much like your book, primals don't exist.. Have never existed." Gavin countered. "Kes, I've tried helping him look for this book before, it's a fulls errand."

"Then call me a fool..." Thanis said as he opened a draw on his desk and pulled out a yellowed slip of parchment that he handed over to the pair.

Though faded, Gavin could make out the detailed drawing of some sort of sea creature. Upon inspection, Gavin noted the sketch was amazingly detailed. However it wasn't until he turned it over, he realized what he was reading. The entry was amazingly detailed, making points about the creature that only someone who saw it up close could know. Gavin was one such person. It was incomplete however, as the the entry continued on to what he could only assume to be the next page.

"Even if it isn't Thiago's famed book... You can same that the wealth of knowledge on that one page is worth seeing if you can get the rest, no?" Thanis smile was ever wide.

Damn. He had Gavin exactly where he wanted him.

• Yay
Kes folded her arms over her chest, the half-elf staring across the table at the old man across from her. The tea scattered between them had been all but forgotten -- though not forgiven -- only her still slightly-quivering dagger having been added since Thanis’s little trick had sent them into their slumber.

As Gavin explained about this book that the old man wanted them to get, the thief’s expression soured.

It wasn’t the first time she’d been sent to steal something that didn’t exist and all of those previous times had one thing in common: it was always the thief that ended up the poorer for the effort. Sometimes because they didn’t get paid, other times because they bore the wrath of whatever failure came their way -- failure to escape unscathed or failure to deliver, it didn’t matter. Now he was sending them on fool’s errand where magic was concerned, and the dark-haired half-elf had one answer for him.

In fact, she’d just reached out to grab her dagger and deliver her pronouncement when Thanis interrupted by handing a slip of paper to Gavin, a piece of parchment that was… old. And from Gavin’s expression, compelling enough that her beloved captain was now reconsidering.

“Uh uh. No way. All you did for us was drug us without our consent and then watch while I did all the work. We’re not risking our lives and doing all the work yet again for some insane errand to steal something from this mage’s place… not unless you sweeten the deal.” Kes planted one hand on the table, leaning forward, her amethyst eyes hard and flinty. “If you want your book -- you want more than just that one page of it -- you’ve got to do more than just watch.”

She sat back. “New blades, for Gavin. I’m sure you have … connections or some ancient artefacts laying around or something like that. Magic book for magic blades. I think that’s fair.”

• Yay
"She makes a lot of demands... My dear you may have done the hard work but could either say with confidence you would have had any idea how to bridge your minds together? To be able to unveil the Blackfyre? Little one do not downplay my part in this." The old mage countered.

"However I do suppose you have a point... I cannot expect the good captain to risk getting me my treasure without being armed armed." Thanis continued as he slowly raised from his seat. "You were partial to scimitars if I remember correctly... Wait here."

And with that, Thanis and all his robes marched off leaving the pair alone in the main room, surrounded by the various treasures sprinkled about. All was quiet though Gavin couldn't hide the grin on his face as he looked at her. "Never... Never in all my time... Have I seen anyone talk to the old man like that... I've dreamed of it.. He's a bit hard headed.. But wow..."

It was the marriage of seeing her stand up for them and the added thought of getting new blades that made him so giddy at that moment. And though he had said it before, he couldn't have been more sure then at that moment that if she so choose, she would be an amazing captain of a ship. And just the thought of that was reason for that grin to grow even wider.

Kestrel didn’t seem to waver or cow at all when the mage mentioned how many demands she was making, the only addition to that expectant look on her face the slight arch to her eyebrow. She wasn’t much of one to antagonize someone who had so much more than she did -- more power, more resources, more knowledge -- but she knew, in her gut, that she could get away with it.

Plus, she was feeling just a bit flush with power after the whole summoning a giant elemental god-being and also being able to put him back if he ever pissed her off revelation. Did a lot to a girl’s confidence, that.

Still, when she looked over at Gavin and he was just smiling at her like that, she couldn’t help the slight tinge of pink that sprung to her cheeks. “Oh, ah… sorry? Was that… okay?” Well it was done now and he was looking at her like he couldn’t be happier so it seemed like it must have been at least not too inadvisable. “I just… he’s lucky I didn’t stab him for drugging us like that, and then he just got under my skin a bit and… I’ll let you take the lead next time, love.”

She offered him a tight smile, though her eyes wandered back towards the doorway where the BLackfyre had wandered out and disappeared. She didn’t hear any screaming… so… that was good, right? Oh what had they gotten themselves into now...

"It's fine Kes.... I should have warned you further... He's eccentric... Hell I'm not even sure if that is the right word to describe him honestly.. But.. though his methods are odd he does get results... I'm sure drugging us was just something extra he didn't need to do... Hell wouldn't put it past him to simply be testing a new concoction... Just... Let's be thankful that in the end, our first problem has been resolved... Thanks to you, I have my magic back..." He said though he was quickly stricken by a bout of a silence.

In all the excitement of the moment, he didn't think to see if he did have the use of magic once more. He simply came too from the spell Thanis wrapped them in and took notice of the elephant in the room. Or rather the cat. Things moved on quickly from there but he didn't think to see if he had the use of the Blackfyre's power. Raising his hand, he extended his index finger and simply thought of conjuring a flame to it's tip. That's how he worked usually. Present the image of what he wanted to do, gather the mana while doing so, and then create. Only this time, the process was much faster. Though transition to action near instantly, and a bright flame, though small, appeared, dancing upon the tip of his finger.

"Gah..." He let out surprise at how fast it happen. "Well... I'm definitely not broken any more."

Beyond, the pair would be appear to hear the shuffling of the old man and something else, perhaps the Blackfyre itself. It seemed he was having a hard go at finding Gavin some replacement swords. If there was some measure of joy in that moment, it was knowing that the old man was having some difficulty if the mumbling they heard meant as much. This caused Gavin to grin. So far, arriving at Elbion had worked out for the pair. If only they could see the dark clouds forming around them. If only they could see.

• Yay
The half-elf’s eyes drifted from the doorway where the Blackfyre had disappeared to her beloved as he spoke; whether or not Thanis needed to drug them, Kes wasn’t keen about it, and was of the opinion that the old man was lucky she didn’t try and stab him for real. He was just lucky that Gavin could vouch for him, and that he had helped them at least a bit so she didn’t feel fully justified in stabbing him.

“Hn,” she replied noncommittally, her eyes narrowing as she tried to keep track of Thanis’s movements…

… at least until Gavin gestured and suddenly there was a black flame sprouting from his fingertip. The thief shifted forward, looking between the flame and Gavin’s face, smiling brightly.

“Hey, that’s a welcome sight,” she said, grinning as she moved towards him, sliding one arm around his waist and leaning into him. She nuzzled into the curve of his neck, her grin widening even more at the feeling of him against her. “You’re warm again,” she noted, with a low chuckle. “That’s more like it.”

• Yay
"... Stop those suggestive thoughts right now love." He teased as she nuzzled into him.

Smiling, he snuffed the flame out just as the Blackfyre came padding in, followed shorting after by Thanis who held a cushion in both arms, balancing a set of swords and daggers along with the sheaths. His face was scowling, suggesting he was not happy with this arrangement.

"Gone but a moment and already you're using my power." The beast spoke in it's rumbling voice before going on. "Found you weapons... The old man wanted to bequeath you a rusty pair... I declined on your behalf."

"So that's what that ruckus was." Gavin said as he rose from his seat, though with his arm moving around Kes she would raise with him. "What have you?"

"First, they were not rusted to badly.. They were used by a skilled warrior, and so, has year of experience running through them." Thanis argued.

"Cheap and brittle, better for mounting on a wall a sharing stories of past glory." The Blackfyre countered.

Thanis scowled yet again. "What the beast chose... I am hard pressed to part with it... But.. If the half elf promises the rest of that book..." He resigned to the idea of losing a treasure of his. "Ahnvae's Harkess... Night's Kiss... It was a set of swords and daggers promised to a Falwood prince famed for his affinity for dark magic. He was something of a trouble maker in his time or so the stories go... Sadly, her never received them as he died the night of his coronation and his brother was anointed... They were set to be placed on his boat for his final voyage to the ever after, however these blades were curiously not with in these possessions... Rumors that the killer of the prince, as it was widely believed he was poisoned, took the blades as a prize. Of course, fearing retribution if his role in the death of a prince was discovered, the blades were locked in a chest.. And for generations kept locked away. The blades are surprisingly kept though they did year years of care and deathly sharp... Light of weight as well. The blade's handle is encased in Elven darkwood and is believed to dispell the use of magical effects... Ah.. Poison or sleep... I saw no evidence of that however... Still finally crafted blades... For the both of you..." He grumbled.

Thanis handed the cushion to Gavin, forcing him to release his hold on Kes who just stood there as the older mage shambled on.

"Now that you are armed.. Away with you.. I expect my book, post haste." And with that, he vanished, leaving both Gavin and Kes with gifts... But... At what price did they truly pay for them?

• Yay
Kes grinned at Gavin -- that sort of playfully wicked grin that said behaving was probably the last thing on her mind -- but before she could make good on that tacit threat, they were rejoined by Thanis and the Blackfyre. Getting to her feet next to her captain, her eyes drifted to the blades that the old mage carried. They gleamed, in a way that the half-elf had learned really only came from steel that had had magic folded into it, refolded, and folded again. Beautiful blades…

And then Thanis was saying for the both of them and she sort of looked up at the Blackfyre, then over at Gavin, as if asking if indeed the daggers in front of her were actually for her… It almost seemed like a trick -- though, speaking of tricks, they weren’t hardly presented with the blades before Thanis made his suitably dramatic exit, and the half-elf stared at where he’d been…

Really, she wished she’d stabbed him.

Looking up at the Blackfyre, she smiled, then turned to Gavin. She reached out almost shyly to pick up the daggers in her hands, bouncing them lightly before balancing them on her fingertips -- testing how they felt to her. After a moment, she flicked one into the air, rolling it along the back of her hand and along her wrist, a few fancy tosses and flips just to get a feel for it. With a single, confident, smooth move, she tucked the daggers into the back of her belts, turning to her beloved and his… magical companion.

“How’s it feel to be out, then?” she asked of the Blackfyre. “Freeing you has tasked us with an annoying job, so you’re about to get plenty of opportunities to do more than just stretch your legs. What do you know about where the book is situation, my love? Or should we plan on doing some reconnaissance for the next day or two?”

Kes knew how she’d approach a job like this; don clothes that were shabby enough to be an unimportant peasant but not so shabby that she got shooed away from the manor for being a penniless streetrat, then simply watch the manor for the next several weeks until she knew every face, every entrance, got a feel for it. That sort of more patient, unhurried approach would have done her fine when she was alone and powerless, but she doubted the old man would wait so long. Not to mention, it wasn’t just her, and it wasn’t just a dampened her…

She held one hand up and sort of … flexed. And just her hand disappeared, holding it effortlessly, now. It was like there’d been a blanket over herself, as well, and now she’d shrugged it off. The sudden lightness, the weight she hadn’t realized was their being released, was almost dizzying to her… in a good way.

“Feels weird,” she muttered, shaking her hand as it returned to solid visibility.

• Yay