Private Tales Where Nightmares Fade and Dreams Bloom

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"It feels... Liberating... But... This man lives entirely to crowded...." The Blackfyre complained, perhaps eluding to wanting so more freedom at some point.

So far, the beast had not acted in the manner Gavin had not expected it to and he was wondering if his initial impression was terrible wrong of if he creature was playing him for a fool. Regardless, he had a feeling he would have to keep a watchful eye on the beast.

"Good to see we both came out of this with our magic working better then ever... Between the pair of us, I imagine what we need to do will be... Now I don't want to say easy... " He mused. They were really going to break into the houses of one of most well known and wealthiest men in all of Elbion, and he was treating like it was another day. Having his confidence back perhaps played into that though.

"Alright well... I suppose we should.. head out?" He shrugged his shoulders, having no problem taking the lead though he wondered what the Blackfyre would do. He wasn't aware if there was a certain leash between them and if so, how far it extended.

"As you say child." The Blackfyre purred, lowered itself and took on a rather familiar stance. Like once of a car about to ponce.

It took Gavin a moment to realize what it was doing before it was to late, and the beast did in fact leap forward. It cleared the distance between him in the blink of an eye and Gavin though himself dead, the beast turning on him to maul him. He didn't even have a moment to unsheathe his blades with the Blackfyre plowed into him. Only he didn't feel the weight of the creature. He felt a old heat as the beast poured into him and vanished... Not.. not vanished. he felt the Blackfyre, resting with him... Like a pressure that surrounded him. Black was left there, face twisted in horror for a moment which could have made a very comical moment to share for later. Clearly the man was frighten near to death and his face showed as much.

"What the f-!" He let out.

He was not expected that at all.

Kes shook her head slightly as the Blackfyre rumbled its response, looking back at her captain as he spoke about being ready to go. His confidence seemed to be back in full swing, infectious and entertaining, and she couldn’t help but grin right along with him.

Foreboding job, dangerous task in front of them, super powerful mage who would definitely turn them into toads if they got caught, and another arguably super powerful mage holding it all over their heads? It was so far beyond any situation she would have ever anticipated finding herself in, but it still wasn’t nearly enough to get her down. Not with Gavin looking back at her, that glimmer back in his eye and that glint in his smile that she loved so much…

At least, until the Blackfyre crouched, and her eyes snapped to it --

And then it was leaping forward and she grabbed at her daggers but it was too late and --

… it disappeared into Gavin.

She was left staring at him as aghast as he was, her hand reaching out to touch his chest as if double-checking that he was all right, that he wasn’t dying or bursting into flame or anything like that. Her eyes swept up to him, amethyst gaze as shocked as his as her hand curled in his shirt. He was unharmed, it seemed, except for the fact that he now had a magical cat-being resting inside of him who could apparently pop in and out at any point that it chose. Yeah, that didn’t sound like a terrible thing, indeed.

“... a little warning next time, asshole!” she sniped, though she didn’t even know if the Blackfyre would hear that much less how he’d be able to respond. It just sort of … slipped out.
“Well.. uh. Okay,” she finally managed, dropping her hand away from his chest with a faint smile. “I feel like this relationship is going to be a lot of stuff getting sprung on us because he can’t be bothered to actually explain anything.” She rolled her eyes slightly, slipping her new daggers and their sheathes into place before casting one more glance around the place. No sign of the crochety old man, but… that was fine enough with her. Instead, she nodded to him.

“Ready.”

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
It was an odd sensation truth be told. Two flames coming together to become a larger one. As the Blackfyre stepped into.. Well him, he felt a growing in mana followed by a warmth that rivaled that of a fever before toning down. He also felt a vigor course through his veins and he felt he could run through out the city proper and still have enough energy to take on a army... Well.. Maybe not an army... A small company perhaps.

"I... uh..." He sputtered not sure how to respond to what just happened. "Was not expecting that... What?"

He quirked his head to the side as if he heard something. His head then reared back as if he didn't like what was said and he scoffed.

"This annoying.. yes I said annoying, cat said he will tell us about himself when he deems fit and for us to run off on our fools errand.... He's a rude bugger isn't he..." Gavin grumbled as he took the lead and moved from the exit.

This was going to be an interesting relationship no doubt.

• Yay
Reactions: Kestrel
Kestrel watched as Gavin headed towards the exit, glancing over her shoulder at the small store and its stump-table and its knick-knacks and its complete lack of a visible shop-owner and its emptiness where a giant cat-god-elemental thing had just jumped into and apparently could still converse with her beloved… and then she sighed and hurried to follow him.

This … was not how she saw her life going, that was for sure. She’d thought her biggest worry upon getting to Elbion would be figuring out a new thieves guild to join while she avoided the Mark that was certainly on her head. Maybe even having to deal with the amulet, too, that was now tucked in her chestpouch, broken and menace-less, for once. Those were the concerns she’d seen heself having. Not… this.

Still, as she caught up to the scruffy pirate, she couldn’t help the smile that crossed her lips. Somehow, even with as insane as this all was, it was so much better than she could have ever imagined.

“All right. We’re armed. The cat is.. Put away, I guess,” she said, glancing at him out of the corner of her eyes as they moved down the street. “Time to see about this magical book he wants us to steal. We’ve got enough time to scope out the place before the crowds thin out and we risk someone noticing us. We can do that, unless…” She trailed off, looking back at him scrutinizingly. “Unless you’ve got some knowledge about this Thancrid Oldshire or his estate that might help us out here.”

He’d seemed to know who they were supposed to be stealing this book from, though she didn’t know if that was just him knowing of the reputation, or if he had some personal knowledge that might assist them.

“You know. I could probably do this one on my own,” she said, carefully, trying to sheath her concern in a careful blanket of nonchalance. “Stealing is … kind of what I do. If you want to leave this to me, give yourself time to recover, get used to your magic and … y’know. The Blackfyre… I can handle this.”

• Yay
"I think he growled at you.. Or purred.. not sure... I know he was responding to the cat comment.. And Oldshire... They are.. Well a an old family. Wealthy... And perhaps not worth the trouble we are to get ourselves in... But then I suppose we have no choice." Gavin led the way out of the old shop.

"And no.. We do this together.. I know my place.. I will follow your lead and led you judge what we do.. But I will not let you do this alone." The tone he used suggested he wouldn't be willing to budge on that.

Stepping outside, Gavin paused to turn back and thank Thanis but the old man promptly closed the door and began to redo each latch and lock. The ship captain just stood there for a moment, staring in amazement before shaking his head, chuckling and then shrugging his shoulders.

"Ever friendly." He muttered to himself as he took the lead.

• Yay
“Aaaw I’m sure it was a purr cause our precious kittycat just can’t get enough of me,” Kes replied with a laugh, even reaching over and teasingly tickling just under Gavin’s chin like one would scratch a cat. Then she winked playfully at him.

Apparently, the thief had decided that keeping things ‘light’ was probably the best bet. That and she couldn’t help but tease her beloved.

“Okay. Together, then,” she replied, as she looked at him steadily, a content expression on her face. There’d been a moment, when they’d been trapped in a hellish land, surrounded by demons, and he’d told her to just go regardless of what happened to him and she’d gotten mad at him. It’d hardly be right for her to press to do the same… besides, there was something really exhilarating about seeing him in action. She’d be hard pressed to pass up on that opportunity especially now that his magic seemed to be back and stronger than other.

“So,” she began, though she followed his lead as he started down the road, falling into step at his sides. Every so often she rolled her shoulders, as if still getting used to the daggers that were there, the second set paired with the set that she’d brought with her. “We’ll need to map out any significant entrance points, any consistent comings and goings that we can use to our advantage, any big opportunities such as festivals or dinners or any time the security might be lax. Then we’ll make a plan, and then… in and out.”

Her amethyst eyes swept up to him, that smile hovering on her lips. “Hopefully with minimal trouble, though considering our history…. That seems dubious.”

• Yay
"He didn't like the first part... But I liked the second." He said with a grin after she scratched his chin. Kes was welcome to tease all she liked, Gavin was sure he'd love it. The big cat inside of him was another story.

Moving along, he led the way, avoiding the open streets and choosing to wander the back alleys. It was clear he held a intimate understanding for Elbion as he moved with practiced ease, a hound getting closer to it's prey. And in this instance their prey was much larger then them as they came upon a large estate that sat opposite a busy intersection the was flooded with traffic. High walls surrounded the estate as well and truth be told it looked more akin to a mini fortress then someones home.

"I give you the home of one Thancrid Oldshire... Let's get some height to see these possible entry points." He said as he stepped back into the alley they just came from. Finding a hand hold on the brick wall, he steadily began to scale the building, using window sills, drainage pipes and what ever he could to pull himself along.

A life sailing did him good as he seemed rather capable clambering up. What Kes would come to find as well, that he was oddly skilled at sneaking about. Now those skills came from a life time ago from a lad who was not a sailor. Despite their time together, there was still so much she didn't know about him.

• Yay
Kes found a spot near the corner where she could keep an eye on Gavin and his ascent, but also watch for anyone who might notice him or what he was up to. No sense in tipping their hand before they were ready to tip it… and really, her beloved went right up that building with almost no effort, displaying a skill most thieves from her gang couldn’t even match.

She waited until he’d found a perch overhead and no longer was moving, and during the next lull in traffic, she quickly scaled up after him. She wasn’t noticeably faster than him, either, using plenty of the same handholds as he’d identified on the way up, before coming to a stop on the roof next to him. Somehow, in the box of tricks that he’d yet to even plumb, he’d learned to make his way around (and up) buildings with the best of them. Not exactly a skill she would have expected, given what she knew… but she wasn’t about to complain.

Maybe two weeks ago, that uncertainty would have made her nervous. Suspicious, even… but there’d been a kind of comfort, a kind of belonging, that had settled between them. They were in Elbion and he hadn’t wavered from wanting to be right at her side. In fact, he wanted her on the ship, with him. Always. There was a permanence there, a certainty, that made her heart swell.

Stilling as quickly as she’d made herself comfortable, she leaned back into the shadows next to him to observe the Estate in front of them. The walls were nicely decorated, beautifully ornate, and stately… and also well fortified, well guarded, and rather large. They also couldn’t rule out magical wards and protections, given what they knew. This wouldn’t be nearly as easy as just ducking in and and out like she’d hoped… but then again, the old mage wouldn’t have had to ask-slash-blackmail them into doing it if it would have truly been super easy.

“Guards at all the entrances,” she murmured. “No identifying house insignia to spoof for easy access…” She leaned forward a bit more, those amethyst eyes sparkling as they drifted over to Gavin.

“This is going to be tricky,” she said, and from the smile on her lips and the grin on her face, that was NOT a bad thing in the thief’s book.

Climbing was a skill he could explain away as being something acquired through years spent as a cabin boy, running the lines up and down the mass of the ships he served on. A white lie as he was already an adept climber by the time he served on a ship. But the truth of it was. Why lie? He had yet to tell Kes who he was... His storied past. Why? To keep her from danger? Well they were already in danger. The truth was, he had never intended to fall in love with her. But he had. And what started out as his personal history with no reason to share it, changed when feelings became involved. So how could he easily explain that the man she came to love was not entirely the man she came to love?

He hadn't a clue.

He just knew that with each passing moment he didn't tell her, a small crack in the foundation was widening.

When we needn't worry of any more distractions... He cautioned himself. He would tell her when there was no need to worry.

"Tricky is not impossible." He said over his shoulder as he looked to the fort they were expected to breach.

"We can stow away in a cart... I'm sure this place is expecting a delivery at some point." He mused. There was no clear idea when that may be however.

"Or..." He was drawing a blank. With as much gusto he channeled when climbing the damn wall, he didn't seem to have a plan. The outside wall was plastered over and provided a smooth surface. No luck finding purchase for their hands. Worse yet, it was heavily patrolled so even if they could climb they would be spotted.

Get me to the roof and get the girl on your back. The Blackfyre's voice grumbled in his head.

"Uh... He's saying to get to the roof and for you to get on my back? not sure what it has planned..." He said to the halfling as he clambered all the way up where he would wait for her. It seemed the beast with in had a plan... And as he realized how high they were, he began to worry just what this beast had planned.

• Yay
“Um, beg pardon?”

The half-elf squinted at her beloved as if making sure she’d heard him correctly. She’d been contemplating the same problem he had -- the smooth, heavily defended walls that almost certainly had some degree of magical warding on them, the monitored and watched entrances that were few and far between -- and considering if there would be a way to force a delivery. After all, if she could get them on the cart, she could get them in without being seen, she was reasonably sure.

Her magic felt stronger after the old man’s meddling than it ever had before. It had concerned Father, before, always wanting to drain it or suppress it so it didn’t become too strong for her… but he hadn’t seen her now, after travelling across a vast sea and through a demon world and facing down an otherworldly creature-god…

… who, apparently, wanted her on Gavin’s back. To… to, what, exactly?

“If this is where you tell me you can fly, now, I’m officially going home and back to bed,” she threatened.

Even as she did so, though, she glanced towards the compound, then back to him. The Blackfyre had a vested interest in keeping Gavin alive and doing well, so it wouldn’t suggest something fatal… right?

This was what her life was. Wondering about the fire-cat-god living in her boyfriend’s body and what it had planned.

Amazing.

“Right. Okay, this is… totally not insane…” She double-checked her daggers, making sure they were securely in their sheaths, then double-checked to make sure the necklace and the small blue stone she treasured were tucked away… and looked over at him, perched on the edge of the roof. Taking her breath, she moved up towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck, nuzzling a kiss to his cheek. “Don’t get us killed, hm?” she prompted, then squeezed her eyes shut.

First off, she didn’t want to see this next part. Second off, it was easier to concentrate.

Because she pulled her magic around them both, letting the invisibility settle around them like a tingling, warm cloak. It was… easy. A lot easier than she ever would have thought possible, and so she focused on that and not the question of what the Blackfyre had up its proverbial little sleeve…

• Yay
"You don't have to tell me how ridiculous this sounds, I know." He said back to her in a hushed down, careful not to drawn anyone's attention to them who walked the streets below.

As they bickered, in the lightest of fashions, Gavin squared over against the voice in his head and it seemed he was fighting on both fronts. Needless to say, he was feeling overwhelmed.

"No I cannot fly." He said and then it seemed his attention was grabbed by the Darkfyre. "Yes it was a silly question... Who ever heard of a flying cat?" He paused then rolled his eyes. "A griffin is not a cat with wings!"

Gavin seemed annoyed in a amusing fashion as Kes did as instructed and climbed up upon his back. Gavin was in the midst of adjusting her as she pulled her magic around them and strangely enough, it had the opposite effect with the Blackfyre. Truth be told, they were just inhabiting the same space as the bestial creature who's presence was made known in the form of a strange aura that poured out around Gavin. It was as if mist poured from him.

"Ready to fly?" The Blackfyre said with a odd rumbling chuckle added. Was he teasing? Was he being serious?

"I told you already the idea of flying is OOOOOOOH SHIIII-"Gavin cried out as he gripped Kes tightly.

They didn't fly. They did soar through the air however after the Blackfyre manifested himself behind them, it's hind leg kicks out and sending them up into the air. The gap they discussed about clearing earlier was mere child's play as they neared the other side of the street in moments. That was no longer a issue for them. The issue would be the landing.

They were approaching the wall rather quickly and had no way of stopping it seemed. As is, they would clear it perfectly. What laid beyond however... That was another story.

As if reading his fear, the Blackfyre chuckled once more and sent out a astral claw to latch onto the wall. Once secured, the pair found themselves drawn back to the astral projection and suddenly they were no longer flying by but being reeled in. Gavin found himself skidding to a stop as booted heels met the floor and he simply stood there frozen in black,trying to make sense as to what they just experience.

"That was a type of flying." The beast said with a humorous tone adopted as they now stood within the wall. "Best hurry, patrol should be here soon." The Blackfyre cautioned them.

Kes wrapped her hands around the lapels of Gavin’s jacket, crisscrossed and secure, a grip that would afford her security without the risk of choking Gavin out. She had no idea what the Blackfyre had planned, but from the bickering that she was hearing the one side of, neither did Gavin… so it made sense to be prepared. Or, at least, to hold on tightly.

“Wait, wha--” she began at the sound of the Blackfyre’s voice -- she could hear him?! She could SEE him?! -- very nearly losing her hold on the magic tingling around them in her surprise.

Surprise that was only compounded when the Blackfyre literally catapulted them out into the sky, and the half-elf buried her face in Gavin’s shoulder because oh my god they were so ridiculously high and there was nothing underneath and then the wall was coming up towards them and how were they going to land -- HOW WERE THEY GOING TO LAND -- and so she just kept the magic around them like a blanket because if they didn’t absolutely die from this the last thing she wanted was to get shot and killed that way and --

With a jarring slid, they were on the ground, Gavin’s chest heaving underneath her and her legs and arms wrapped around him and… they just sort of stood there for a moment.

… when the Blackfyre had the good graces to make a pithy comment.

“That… that was…. Something,” she finally managed.

Concentrating, with effort, she unwrapped her hands from his jacket and unclenched her legs from around his waist. Feet finally on the ground, she took in a deep, steadying breath, trying to let her brain settle in from being jangled around by being jumped across a damn wall because of an ancient elemental god. She had to keep one hand on Gavin, though, to make sure she could keep the invisibility around them, which allowed them a moment to look around.

“That way,” she suggested with a nod. “Towards the back of the main manor. Where do you think he’s keeping his precious books -- up,” she said, looking up towards the tower that loomed overhead, “or down?” Place like this? Most definitely had some sort of cellar or dungeon.

While she spoke, she used her free hand to shift her cloak, sliding it back out of the way, making sure that her throwing knives and that her daggers were free and ready to go.

Smooth sailing this far didn’t mean much of anything, really. In her experience, things tended to go bumpy rather fast.

• Yay
He would have been shaking with rage if he wasn't already quivering with.. Fear? Shock was more like it, though he did find the didn't like the feeling of being sent soaring through the air either. He glared at the creature as it peeled it's way free from his body and took form before them. The cat looked lazily over it's shoulder at them, waiting to see what Gavin would decide. Up or down.

"... Up..." He said after a moments thought. "Man like him doesn't need to high... He believes he is safe in his castle."

The was the logic Gavin with. A man like this didn't have to be afraid and hide his precious items. Instead he would have it in his personal tower. besides, it was not connected to any other structures which meant there was only one way in and one way out. That made it hard for anyone to sneak in and out and the ship captain found himself wondering if this was something they could really pull off.

Bounding forward, the Blackfyre took the lead just ahead of Kes, leaving the captain in the rear as they moved along. They moved at a relaxed pace, well up until the sound of rushing boots caught his attention and all three froze, Gavin going as far as to press himself into the wall as the guards rounded the corner and came into view. He had to remind himself that Kes had them cloak but it was hard to when he felt he was making eye contact with several of the men.

It was odd, watching each man and not being seen though they were in the open. It was oddly exciting as well. Gavin quickly reminded himself however that there was a reason for these men to be here and soon enough it was revealed.

"Something triggered of one of the magical alarms... Patrols will be increased.. Now.. Find it!" The captain ordered as the men scattered to do just that.

Despite their dynamic entry, they were discovered, or at least those with in had a feeling something was up. Regardless, as the men searched the top of the wall, it was clear they had to move and fast.

• Yay
Kes’s amethyst eyes swept to the tower in question, taking a good, long look at it. It was higher than the walls around it, solid stone, with minimal windows except at the very top. Its smooth facade meant that they wouldn’t be able to scale it easily from the outside, which meant going in through the inside… which, she was sure was only one way in or out and likely heavily guarded, both with people and magic.

The half-elf took a deep breath, finding her hands still shaking slightly, then looked at Gavin. “Okay,” she said, to signal her readiness to move.

It was a strange feeling, keeping the magic up around them as they moved. She’d never been able to do that before -- it had been like dragging a glass across the ground, one jarring misstep and it’d shattered around her, no matter how painfully slow and careful she went. Now, however, there was a certain sort of strength to the cloak she wove around them, a sort of energy that hadn’t been there before that buzzed through her and made her fingertips tingle. It was exhilarating, and she could feel that warmth, that tingling pleasure as it set into her and the draw of it, deeper and deeper into that gentle complacency that soaked through her the longer she stayed invisible. It made it hard to concentrate on anything except moving forward, so she was left standing dumbly in the middle of the walkway as the guards charged in.

One of them nearly ran right into her, and it was only through sheer luck that she remained on her feet.

The guards moved on quickly, searching for… them, though the guards didn’t know that.

Her heart skipping a beat, she looked back at Gavin, a furrow in her brow. “I … don’t know how much longer I can keep it up,” she whispered to him, since the cloaking muffled their noise but didn’t mask it. “I’m not used to doing it this long for three people…”

Taking a deep, steadying breath, she closed her hand around the hilt of one of her daggers, feeling the dig of the metal into her palm as a sharp prick of sensation against the deadening weight of her magic. A little bit further, she told herself, nodding for the Blackfyre to continue further into the estate, trying to focus on what she was doing and not the drain of the magic pulling at her…

• Yay
Of course, how could he ever expect the estate not to have any type of warded protection. This was an established mage they were dealing with, not some back alley trickster. He moved along with Kes, careful to hide his steps as the men searched.

Child... So young... There is much for you to learn... The Blackfyre echoed his thoughts into their head before a thin line of aether flowed out from the beast and reached out for the halfling. In appearance it was black and inky, sprouting like a vine that way it twisted upon itself. The aether connected with her soon after and what strain she may have felt lessened. She'd feel the exhilaration of the beasts power flowing through her however it was tapped, trickling in as to not over flow. As stated before, the Blackfyre was now connected to them and Gavin realized the trio would discover the depth of that connection with each passing day.

A deep breath taken, Gavin decide to push and see what else the beast could do. The wards.. Can you see them..?

A dome hangs over the estate... We pierced it, though the cubs ability to mask us made it look more so like a pin prick then a knife wound...
The Blackfyre stated and Gavin found himself impressed with the creatures analogy. So yes, I can see the wards...I can only manage a connection with one of you at a time presently.. I'll guide but if I instruct you to stop to avoid a ward... You stop.

The Blackfyre revealed another interesting bit and it seemed like they could borrow from the creature. Something else to poke at later on, but for now, Gavin nodded as the pushed along, moving at a snails pace to avoided the crowded wall which was growing with more bodies. Despite their entry being no more then a pin prick, the lord of the estate was careful not to take anything lightly. Just their luck.

Kes’s attention was drawn from the tower to the form of the Blackfyre as it spoke, her eyebrows arching slightly… and then there was a … tendril, reaching out for her, and her shoulders squared in alarm, but they were standing in full visibility of at least a dozen guards and Gavin had her other hands and there was nothing to do except hope the creature wasn’t doing anything insanely weird and —

— and it was insanely weird. But with a sharply inhaled breath, she could feel the power of him rush into her and the tingling heat in her fingers lessen. The world became sharper and clearer, less pressing down on her, and those amethyst eyes of hers became more focused.

She turned to the Blackfyre and Gavin’s exchange, her gaze straying skyward as if she could see the wards that they spoke of… nothing but stars overhead. They would have to trust the beast.

Trust that seemed more and more precious as they made their way along the wall, towards the central tower. It was slow going, Gavin’s fingers threaded tight through hers, each step counted and considered because even though she hid them from sight and their sounds were muffled, they weren’t masked completely, and the men around them were looking for anything. An anything that was them, baited, careful breath and weapons out.

Several times the creature directed them a different way than Kes would have picked, but that’s the way they went, following his advice… and only a few minutes later they were at the base of the tower. A few minutes that felt like hours, Kes’s shoulders burning with the tension humming through them and the weight of her magic wrapped around them beginning to press down once again. Even with the Blackfyre holding her, the burden of holding the hiding for two people, for two moving people, for two moving people across an entire compound, was one that was unfamiliar and new to her.

Still, that cloying relaxation that threatened to lull her into uselessness stayed at bay with the Blackfyre’s help, and they came to a stop in front of the massive oak doors that seemed to be the only entrance to the tower. Kes tucked them into the shadow of the doorway, turning to look at Gavin.

“I can pick the lock but I can’t do that and hold the magic at the same time,” she offered, her voice carefully low. “How’s your lock-picking, my love? Either that, or we need a distraction...”

• Yay
He wouldn't answer her question outright as he chose to offer a grin in it's place. Picking a lock wouldn't be hard at all for the captain and so he moved in, switching places with the thief so he begin the task of going forth with their stalled advancement. Thin pieces of wire were removed from his belt and quickly shaped with skilled fingers before he sent upon working the lock.

Meanwhile the Blackfyre stalked behind them, moving slowly as it's large ears moved about. It was amazing the muscle control it had and it seemed the beast was focusing it's attention on one area then the next.

Hurry... I hear footsteps. The Beast warned. True to it's word, a contingent of armored men were rushing to their very location.

"Nearly there..." Gavin muttered as he felt the tumblers with in the lock respond to his touch. With in moments the lock responded and he twisted, the completion of the picking sounding with an audible click.

Gavin opened the door and stepped in, waving both Kes and the Blackfyre in moments before the guards rounded the guard. The door was closed and the latch bolted once more as quietly as he could managed. Seconds stretched out as they stood in the dark and finally someone on the other side tested the door knob, jiggling it no less then three times.

"This one is locked! Move on." A man on the other side announced before the sound of their footsteps vanished.

It was then Gavin realized he had been holding his breath.

The half-elf darted into the door as soon as her beloved captain had cracked enough room, her hand trailing along his arm as she did so to come to rest on his upper back. The Blackfyre was boosting her abilities, making it easier to keep the cloak of magic up around them both, but she didn’t dare risk dropping her hand away. She’d barely ever hidden someone else before this; she’d never hidden someone without direct physical contact. She wasn’t even sure she could.

The darkness folded around them and Gavin let his breath out in a rush. The half-elf leaned back against the wall, looking over at him with an obvious look of relief on her face. Her heart was pounding, but … they were inside the tower now, which meant that this was where it got easy… right?

Right.

Her eyes drifted past him, to the stairs that wound up before disappearing into inky blackness above. “Gavin,” she said, to draw his attention, speaking softly so as not to reveal their presence. Because there, tucked into alcoves in regular intervals up the wall, she could just barely make out the form of something… large. They were humanoid forms, roughly, made out of what looked like slabs of stone or rock, easily standing a good head or two taller than Gavin. There were etchings in their chests, precious gems adorning key points of the runes and glowing softly, dimly.

Kes’s free hand slipped up, wrapping around the hilt of one of her daggers, for what good it’d do against a walking hunk of stone and magic.

“They don’t look friendly,” she noted, in a tight voice. None of the golems had activated, but that wasn’t too surprising. Kes’s magic hid them from other spells, including detection spells… but she didn’t know how certain that would be. She glanced towards the Blackfyre. “Do you think we can get past? Or are we fighting our way up?”

• Yay
He was going to kill the old man. it was funny to easily decide ones life so flippantly. He just knew that the next time he saw him, he'd get his strong hands around his thin neck and just squeeze. it was a twisted fantasy that he knew he would not carry through with. Still didn't change the fact he was livid. One of the hardest places to break into when it came to Elbion and he had suggested it like it was not a big deal.

"Can't love...not yet... This place is already crazy as if, we stop to fight we'll bog ourselves down.. Can you manage your magic just a little longer?" he asked in a hopeful tone. He didn't want Kes to burn herself out, still, she was their best bet of sneaking around currently. Other wise they would be crossing path with stone golemns and he wasn't sure if his fire could do much about them.

"Once we get this damned book all bets are off and we can get the hell out of here.. Then I'm going to spend a full night doting on you for getting into this mess, I promise."

And there it was, the worry he wore on his brow fading away to make room for that charming grin that screamed "hey.. I'm cocky and I know it."

"Ready?" He asked as he gathered up his own strength.

The dark-haired half-elf took a slow, deep breath at her captain’s question.

Can you manage just a little longer…

The strain was incredible, but it wasn’t like a weight she was carrying. It was like swimming through thick molasses, each movement bogged down by the sheer effort of keeping it all masked, keeping him masked, and keeping it up without dropping it. It would be so easy for her to just let herself slip into that warmth, that peace, that pulled at her, to let her focus drift until they were stuck in the invisibility until she was too exhausted to maintain it anymore. The Blackfyre was boosting her, helping her, but it was a single wall against a torrent.

Reaching up, she wound her fingers into his hair, around the back of his head, and gently pulled him towards her, forehead to his. That cocky grin, that promise to spend an entire night doting on her… she couldn’t help it. A smile dawned across her lips, her hand sliding down to cup his cheek, drinking in the look on his face, letting that confidence of his sink into her and reassure her.

“Throw in some wine and some more of those delicious desserts and you’ve got yourself a deal, my cap’n,” she murmured, voice still carefully low but humming with the warmth of him.

He made her feel so… capable.

So she took in a deep, stabilziing breath, looking at the Blackfyre once more, before turning back to him. Her hand slid down, fingers threading through his as she gave him a squeeze. “Lead the way, then. Let’s get this damn book and get the hell out of this place. That bed of ours is calling.”

With a bit more of a second wind, she turned towards the stairs. Up they twisted, disappearing into the darkness, the golems at regular intervals. She could the detection wards scritching at the edges of her own magic, but it was like water sliding right off of the protective sphere. A ripple in the flow of the protective magic, nothing more.

“Are we there yet,” she breathed, as they eased past another of the golems, up the endless stairs.

She really, really, really hated the owner of the Estate and his apparent love of heights.

• Yay
The Blackfyre offered a slow now. content with out saying anything before moving to lead them. Only he didn't move. He froze in place, the hackles standing on end as it's massive head lifted up. The Blackfyre's feline ears twitched, as if listening for sounds that escaped the pair. He even sniffed at the air, it's tails standing upright alarmed as well. Gavin watched with muted interest, wondering just what exactly had the familiar so spooked.

"Everything well?" Gavin said after sparing another moment of silence for the large cat.

"Powerful magic just erupted all over the city.... Oppressing... Like... A storm... And there's the smell of fire, heavy in the air....Something is happening in the whole of Elbion and we best move before we end up tied to it." The Blackfyre grumbled before taking off leading Gavin to watch him vanish, brow knitted in thought.

"We best hurry... Looks like we aren't the only ones causing trouble tonight." Gavin concluded and moved onward with Kes in toll.