Private Tales What is in a Name

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Paetr

Night Court Lord
Character Biography
Link
To the northern mortals, there was a great storm coming in from the Barrow Strait. Lighting struck the ground, thunder rolled over snow capped hills.

It was all an illusion. Below those storms the fae of the Night Court clashed. The civil war for the court that had been raging for many years continued, but it was the largest clash in months.

"My lord, we are losing."

"Nonsense, they just need to fight harder," Paetr replied. It was deeply frustrating when he gave commands like 'go and with the fucking battle' and the incompetence he was surrounded by failed to carry them out.

"They have the Ley behind them Paetr," Calegero, his family's trusted advisor explained. "Joan's kelpie have switched side..."

"Yes what a bother," Paetr interrupted. "Remind me to have him cursed, poisoned or worse."

"...and we are too far from our reserves."

"Nope!" Paetr declared. "We charge through the middle, run down that shit-for-brains Prince and then scatter them. Then we hunt the survivors for sport in the evening. Gather the vanguard!"

Calegero looked past Paetr and gave a small nod.

"Uncle? A word?"

Paetr turned over his shoulder at the sound of his nephew, Aliks' voice. He was a weasly sort of fae, always skulking around. However, he had acquitted himself quite well in battle to Paetr's surprise.

"Of course," Paetr replied, walking over.

Aliks waves him closer, leaning over to whisper in his ear.

The world went dark.

Paetr woke to the sound of waves. He blinked his eyes open and pushed himself up onto his elbows. The loose shingle under his hands shifted with his weight. He was wet, but the cold wasn't biting through his skin. He wasn't in Eretejva any more.

There was a pounding behind his eyes. He didn't feel right. The vestiges of some powerful magic still lingered around him.

"That cowardly little shit," he exclaimed.

Paetr shielded his eyes from the morning sun. Underneath crisp white cliffs, the shore extended as far as he could see to the north east.

There were men in steel armour walking slowly towards him.

Ulva Tal’deneshaar

The beams of the morning sun peeked out through the clouds, casting moving shadows on the sands of the shore. The sound of the waves crashing upon land was always a welcomed melody, one Ulva had gotten all to use to during her morning walks over the years. Though these walks took her a good distance away from house Tal’deneshaar, her adopted family’s estate, she found it to be a relieve to get away from all the tedious daily tasks. Even if it was only for a mere few hours as the sun woke.

Today’s walk though, brought the presence of guards?! It was a surprise to see them there as she’d rounded the corner of a large boulder that had blocked her view prior, which only caused a curious glance in the direction they seemed to be headed. Couldn’t have been a shipwreck as there was no wreckage obvious to be found, other then what looked to be a man? Maybe his boat had floated away? Or had it been an attempt at his life? A drunk? So many questions but only one way to get the answers.

Bare feet moved through the sand in their direction, Ulva was not one to be shy about retrieving information and this was too good to pass up. Loose tan breeches covered her lower half, while a black long sleeved linen chemise covered her upper half. Not at all the proper attire for ladies such as herself to be wearing but she cared not. Her long ginger hair left untamed and dancing around with the wind.

“Miss Tal’denesharr, It’s best that you stay back while we find out why this man is here.” Said one of the guards as they finally took note of her presence.

“Nonsense, what’s the worst he could do with you all here.” She pointed her fingers towards the four men. There wasn't much that she was scared of, let alone a man. She was almost positive that she could handle a fight better then most of the guards present anyway. “Besides, I’m capable of defending myself If I need too.” She shrugged his request off and continued towards the man in question. It was evident that none of the men agreed with her by the exasperated sounds they made as she moved passed them.

Blues looked over the man briefly as they drew closer before she spoke “Are you hurt?” He didn’t look hurt at first glance, but she thought it best to ask anyway. “How did you arrive here on the shores? A drunken stupor I assume.” Her tone was soft even if it was followed by a smirk. “What is your name and where are you supposed to be, I’ll make sure these men help you to your destination as long as you’re not hurt of course.”

Paetr

Last edited:
"The worst I could do?" he called out incredulously.

Paetr drew himself up to his full height, standing far above the humans. He looked down at them. He might have looked impressive were it not for the soaked clothes that gave him a bedraggled appearance.

"Mortals should never ask for my name, they should offer theirs."

He drew the prim around him and reached out to force her name from her lips.

Nothing happened. Paetr's eyes went wide, first in shock and then in anger. He turned away and kicked a mount of wet sand into the air.

He spoke rapidly under his breath, foreign words that were likely curses. Such a suspicion would be confirmed when he transitioned back into the common human trade tongue.

"That cunt took my magic too! When I get back there I'm going have his fucking balls on bread and..."

This continued. The very tall creature than might have been taken as an elf had some surprisingly creative ways to take revenge on the subject of his ire.

“Why yes, that is what I said isn’t it?” A series of laughs came from the guards at her response. Ulva took a few steps back, almost tripping over her own feet in the process as the arrogant man stood.

“Mortals should, what?!” Ulva asked in pure disbelief. Brows furrowed as she looked at the man as if he’d lost his fucking mind. Just when she thought this couldn’t get any stranger, she watched the man do some sort of odd hand gesture and then reach out to her? It was evident by the look of shock in his eyes he’d been waiting for something to happen, magic perhaps?

Now the laughter came from her own lips as he kicked at the sand. “What is it you were trying to do, bring harm to me for merely trying to help you?” Her hands found their way to his hips as she continued “Oh, let me guess, it’s because you view yourself superior to myself, correct? How dare I even speak to you! Hmm?”

The volley of foriegn words that came out of his mouth were ones she didn’t necessarily understand but she knew where that specific language came from. Fae. He was Fae, of course he was. Now it made sense. Not that all Fae were as egotistical as he was but a good portion of them were.

“You’re wasting your breath, the cunt can’t hear you so I don’t see why you need to speak out loud what you plan to do to this…cunt.” Ulva rolled her eyes at the man. “Which court are you from?” She asked, matter of fact like

Paetr

• Yay
Reactions: Paetr
"It makes me feel better. Obviously," he replied.

It didn't make him feel better. He silently cursed Aliks one more time and spared another one for whoever had let slip their existence in this part of the world.

Her questions rather obviously did offend him, but he didn't chastise her this time. Paetr was renowned for being difficult to kill and many had tried. However, his magick was not heeding his call and those men were covered in lots of hateful iron.

Paetr gave an offhand wave, looking past her shoulder into the distance.

"You are...quite important for a human?" he asked.

Ulva couldn’t help but laugh at his excuse. “Right.. Obviously” She mimicked back. Shrugging it off as if she didn’t know any better. This man, or more so Fae, was far too fun to mess with in his current state and she knew better than to continuously push buttons.. but..

Why was he waving..She turned her head to look at who he was waving off, the guards still standing vigil. “Me? Important? My family, yes, but technically I have no true blood ties to the family. So, yes and no.” Wait, why was she giving him that information so freely? This wasn’t part of her plan.. Subject change..

“Someone didn’t like you much, hmm? To send you clear out here, wet, alone on the banks for gods knows what to get ahold of you..” She moved closer, walking around him as if sizing him up. Which, she wasn’t, she already knew he was larger then she was but it was a fun tactic to employ anyway. “Do you think they wanted you dead?” She folded her arms across her chest while fiery strands brushed over her forearms. “All you have to do is tell us where you’re from and we can try to send you back, if they’ll take you that is.”

Paetr

Last edited:
"Yes and no," he repeated. Clearly she was trying patience he didn't have. With his connection to the Ley magic blocked by some insidious spell and with a bunch of soldiers in iron shells he was impotent to do anything about it.

His smile was forced. Everything else about his expression was deeply frustrated.

"The Isles of Sheketh," Paetr replied. He didn't deign to look down at her as she walked a circle to size him up.

"You know, I get the distinct fucking sense that they might just not be too keen on me going back. I suspect..." He grimaced and balled his elegant hands into fists, "...that they thought this would be funnier than death."

If he could get his magic back and get in touch with his supporters then those responsible would not be given such a pleasant punishment. His people loved him, of course. That was was everyone told him.

"Maybe they did try and drown me. I am very difficult to kill," he boasted.

Ulva couldn’t deny the snicker that followed his repeat of her words, it seems they both had the habit of doing such. It was oddly satisfying watching the man grow more exasperated by the minute, not just by her of course. Though, that too, was satisfying.

“The Isle of Sheketh, you say.“ She wasn’t sure why she hadn’t noticed it before but he was considerably taller than her and she had to admit, it was intimidating. “You are far, far away from home. You’re now in Vel Anir.”

“For someone to go through the trouble of sending you out this far and taking your magic, sounds like you pissed off the wrong people.”
Which didn’t surprise her in the slightest, considering how this interaction has been going. “What did you do?”

He continued to astonish her at every turn with just how arrogant he was “What makes you difficult to kill?” She asked, ``I'm sure if they wanted you dead, you would be. So then, what gives you the idea that you’re hard to kill. I think even I could managed that” Killing him, that is. Scouldn’t wait to hear what elaborate explanation he had for this one.

“Anyway, what are we supposed to do with you now? I mean, we could just leave you out here to fend for yourself” She shrugged nonchalantly “You know, since you’re so hard to kill and all.”

• Yay
"I'm sure I could survive here. It can't be that hard," he replied.

The proclamation was bold. The expression on his face as he looked inland made it obvious he had no real idea how to survive alone.

From birth until this day he had been well cared for. Paetr had been born into his position and at no point had he truly questioned whether he deserved it.

Paetr was distinctly unimpressed with how far from home he was. Vel Anir was a particularly human part of the world.

"Perhaps you should offer me some hospitality. On account of the fact that I will retake my lands, stick someone's head on a fucking like and will repay those that helped me along the way?"

“Oh, I’m sure you could.” Ulva nodded while looking in the direction he was.. “I mean, without your…magic, that’s what you call it right?” Of course, she knew it was right but it was so easy to confuse him. Make him believe that she’s some weak minded human woman, nothing more. “It should be easy peasy for you.”

Hands slipped on her hips as she bent over slightly, laughing. The look of pure amazement was plastered on her face when she looked back at him. Amazed not at him, but at what he had said..”Hospitality? Well, I must say, I thought I was showing you some hospitality by trying to figure out where you came from and how we could get you back.” She brought a finger to her mouth, a fake indication that she was thinking.. “Also by not letting these guards take you as a prisoner until they could figure this all out for themselves..” Shoulders rose softly in a small shrug. “But forgive me, if that wasn’t the hospitality you were hoping for.”

“By the way, how do you expect to take your lands back with no magic, no way of getting back, no army.. Nothing but yourself, do you think that would be enough?” Her tone, serious, but she was far from it. There was no way he’d be able to accomplish that. “I can pay for you a room somewhere in the city, but you’ll need to figure out how to pay for it after that. Or, I can bring you back to the Estate, though you’ll be expected to pull your weight around there as well.. You know, until you can take your lands back, of course.”

He narrowed his eyes. His anger was impotent in the situation. A mortal was mocking him - a Lord of the Night Court - and he had little choice but to take it.

Perhaps he could move quickly enough to get his hands on her, but even his anger was not enough to take that path when her ironclad servants would quickly deal with him in turn.

"Pay? Pay?" he hadn't paid for anything in his life, at least not with trinkets or goods. He held his title with wit and planning and outright violence.

At least he had until very recently.

"What does pulling my weight mean?" he asked, with an emphatic sigh. "You should be glad to host me. Honored!"

Even as he argued, it would become clear that he was starting to let his predicament sink in. Paetr was starting to shift from making demands to saving at least a modicum of his own pride.

The amusement still etched on her face as he looked utterly shocked at the mention of him having to pay. Seems that wasn’t a word he was all too familiar with. “Yes, pay. You know, with coin? How else do you expect to pay for your room and board?” Ulva quirked a brow “Please, enlighten me.”

“Honored?” If she hadn’t already been tittering on laughter she’d have looked shocked. “Honored that a man whom I still don’t know the name of, washed ashore and even though I came to help, acted rudely towards me instead. Tell me, how am I to feel honored to have you in my home?”

Threads of ginger moved in the wind as she shook her head. “Pulling your weight is simple, help with what you can around the estate. Cleaning, cooking, hunting, stable work.. The list goes and on really but I’m sure you get the idea, right?”

“Until we figure out how to get you back to Sheketh, likely to your death but who knows right?”
Ulva closed the distance between them, keeping a good foot or two between them.. ”My names Ulva and you are?” She offered her hand purely out of habit.

• Yay
He looked down at the hand she was offering.

Human custom, of course.

Standing nearly two feet over the human, he had to bend at the waist to hold her hand. He shook it a little too vigorously. Not out of spite, but because he had only ever heard of the gesture.

When greeting an old friend within his court it was custom to hug them, fuck them or fight them. Potentially all three with the order of events rarely mattering.

"Hunting!" he said, selective hearing kicking in. "I have an exceptional hunter. Probably better than anyone you have available."

Brows knitted together as he silently looked down at her hand, almost puzzled at why it was even there. Though it seemed his brain worked at least part of the time as he figured out why she’d offered her hand.

His grasp was firm and she stumbled a step or two as he shook it with rough enthusiasm.

“You have a hunter” Ulva pulled her hand out of his, rubbing at her fingers. “But aren’t one yourself, I take it?” Which begs the question “Do you do anything yourself?”

“Your name is? Or is this your way of trying to skim over that question?”