Private Tales Up in Flames

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Nukpana

The Fire Hazard
Character Biography
Link
They’d been travelling on horseback for three days straight, only stopping for an hour or two at most, and Nu had had enough. Theus had given into the eight-year-old’s grumbling and whining about being hungry, tired, bored, sore and thirsty and he physically shoved her off of his horse and agreed to build a fire and rest for a while - so long as she didn’t speak, or move. He was a mountain of a man, and he hadn’t warmed to Nukpana one bit, for he was as angry and as impatient as he looked. She hadn’t warmed to him either - she didn’t warm to anyone really, and she was particularly difficult to like.

Can I go fin-“ Nu spoke, but was cut off immediately

Are yeh deaf as well as stupid, kid?” he snapped at her, lying himself down against a fallen tree and pulling his hood down to cover his face. “Get some rest, an’ let me get mine - move an’ I’ll hunt yeh down an’ skin yeh..” He warned and closed his eyes. Nu huffed and folded her arms, shooting him a venomously green glare and muttering a few choice words under her breath.

She was too hungry to sleep, so she sat, hugging her knees with her chin rested atop them, staring at the flames to try and forget the aches in her stomach. The flames always seemed to dance for her, and her lips curled ever-so-slightly as she watched them, bobbing her head from side to side, their movement mimicking her and she chuckled in amusement as they played along. Her fingers wriggled, and the flames danced a little higher, and higher..too high. She panicked, and threw her hand out in attempt to ask the flames to lower again.. it didn’t work. Instead they caught Theus’ cloak, and slowly crept up the fabric, burning straight through.

Nu’s eyes widened in fright, and she jumped to her feet and raced to him as he started to waken, throwing her hands out to pat at the growing fire “Theus!!! Theus WAKE UP!!!” she yelled at him, but she was thrown off of him as he sat bolt upright, flailing in confused panic.

THE FUCK?!” Theus bellowed and rolled in the dirt, patting at his clothes again and again until the flames diminished. Choked with smoke he coughed as he spun around to face her, he’d been warned about her, but this - this was ridiculous. “YOU LITTLE BASTARD!” He growled and charged at the child, burned hand shooting out to grab her by the throat and lift her clean off of her feet, his clothes charred and still smoking.

Nu hung there , legs kicking at him as her hands battered at his arms and tried to loosen his grip. “Leggo! Leggo yer big gobshyte!!” She managed to croak out at him, until he tightened his grip…Theus the sell sword, yet another who had simply ‘had enough’.

Last edited:
It didn't sit right with Sarek. On his journey back to the familiar swampland, he called home, he had heard whispers of a band with a child. A child in distress. Now, he didn't know the particulars about the situation, but his mind went to dark places when he tried to work it out. He didn't bother. He'd heard enough from the witnesses he questions to know what his next steps were.

He wasn't sure about the makeup of the group, their capabilities or skills. Sarek was a talented mage, but he wasn't reckless or foolhardy. He didn't need to be, he was patient.

It hadn't taken him long to discover the trail of the young girl and her entourage. He used a variety of familiars - rats, insects, mosquitos and everything else in between - to keep an eye on them whilst staying out of range.

The past three days would have been torturous for the party. Sarek had imbibed his plague magicks into the familiars and had caused a series of unfortunate events to befall the group of child-snatchers. On the first day he found them, their horses had been lethargic and one of them had been rendered lame - forcing them to dismount.

The second day? Hay-fever, flu, headaches, migraines, every inconvenient symptom he could think of suddenly overcame each member of the group - but never the girl. The world was cruel, the world was unfair, but children were not fair game. Children were exempt, sacrosanct almost.

The third day, they had shown no signs of slowing, but Sarek hadn't expected them to. Child snatchers weren't welcome within these lands and whatever activities they were doing were far from legal - most likely they were on the lam. He only needed to sap their strength, drain their willpower.

He had intended to slowly drive them mad or insane, keeping a close eye on the girl so their wrath did not turn towards her. However, day three had forced his hand. Sarek drew closer with each passing day and, fortunately for him and Nu, he was on their trail well before the hand had drawn tight around the girl.

Wrapped head-to-toe in bandages to protect the public from seeing his unsightly flesh and weeping sores, Sarek lumbered and lurched into the clearing.

"I think you heard the girl, let her go." His voice croaked, in the glow of twilight, this man cast a strange and intimidating presence - mysterious and fully cloaked. Small shadows moved and rustled around him, swarms of rats and insects - hidden in the low light - moved through the undergrowth ready to overwhelm the girl's captors.

Last edited:
  • Bless
Reactions: Nukpana
The child's lips were starting to turn blue and she kicked violently, but the man ignored her pounding feet. He had a look of insanity. Pure, venomous fury. He turned his attention to the source of the voice with a startled expression, and the sight of the man caused him to drop the girl into a gasping heap as he reached to his hip and drew his blade. "The fuck is this!?" Theus pointed the steel at the man and kicked at Nu to move her toward the horse.

"Ow!" Nukpana cried out an angry protest at the kick and aimed a fruitless punch at the back of Thues' knee, which he once again ignored. She peeked past the man to settle a wide gaze on her defender, and she pulled herself back without Theus' 'aid', her face a grimace of fear. Her eyes fell to the moving mass of creatures that surrounded him and she slowly pulled herself to her feet, a hand around her throat subconsciously rubbing at the instant bruising.

"What d'you want?!" she demanded, sure he was here to murder the man and steal her away and feed her to his pests. She stumbled as she walked backwards, and little hands gripped hold of the large branch she'd tripped over and lifted it, sword like and mighty as she stood, copying Theus' in his stance.

"I don' give a fuck what you want but you best go back to wherever yeh came from before I take yer stinkin' head off." Theus warned, uncertainty in his tone.

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Sarek Valaren
Sarek splayed his hands and his creatures stayed, hundreds of tiny beady eyes focused on Theus intently. He paused, thinking how best to handle the situation and let an ominous and pregnant silence span out between them. He could sense the hesitation and reservation in the man's voice.

"Don't rightly care what you want Theus... Was it?" He'd learned his name from witnesses and his familiars, but it always helped to unsettle people. He'd known the man hadn't given his name, it only added to the allure and mystery to which he savoured.

"Shouldn't be choking children really, or beating them, or starving them." Beneath his heavily bandaged and cloaked figure, his two pale grey eyes shifted towards Nukpana and softened. Moving slowly, so as not to provoke either of them, Sarek reached into his cloak and withdrew a bit of dried grey meat. Crocodile jerky. Like most foodstuffs of the swamp, it was far from a pleasant taste, but it was some of the better delicacies they ate. Plus, starvation is the best seasoning in any case.

Carefully, he threw the meat over to the girl and returned his focus back to Theus. "Girl." Nukpana was her name, but he didn't wish to scare her. "Not gonna flood you with promises, I'm sure you've heard a few in your life that never worked out."

"But I'm gonna get you away from these crooks, after that you do you." He paused again, he was aware of others in the camp stirring and, in response, he summoned wisps of magic. His hand and forearm shone a sickly purple-green in colour as he prepared himself for the battle.

"You can follow me, or you can go your own way. Either one, I'll just be glad to rid you of these creatures." He spoke calmly, his eyes never leaving Theus as he spoke.

• Sip
“I’ll do whatever in fuck I like you rottin’ sack of shit!” Theus kicked behind him at the girl as she stood with her stick ready to fight, catching her in the stomach and forcing the air out of her as she stumbled back to the ground. He wasn’t trying to protect her because he liked her but he wouldn’t get the second half of his pay until he’d got her to Vel Anir, that and she’d only get in his way.

“Girl - Get on the fuckin’ horse an’ then don’ move.” Theus snarled out at her as he side stepped, readying his attack.

Nu growled as soon as she had the air back in her lungs and had stopped coughing, but she got back up and picked up her stick again. She was ballsy for an eight year old, a very angry eight year old.

She glanced down at the grey meat the cloaked man threw down for her and her brow furrowed.. it looked revolting, but if he wanted her to eat surely he wasn’t here to flay her living.

Choice. Nu had never been given a choice in her life, and her grip on her splintery weapon loosened a little as she stared between them with consideration in her eyes as the man spoke to her. She’d never last another day with Theus’ temper, she’d broken him already. The stranger with his scuttling horde was less than desirable and frankly made her skin crawl but, he seemed to be trying to help her.

She looked around the forest, it was dark and the trees were thick. She might have a streak of bravery but even grown men like Theus had things to be frightened of in Falwood. Nu moved backward, as though considering making a run for it, but she ran forward again instead, tree branch lifted as high as she could into the air.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!” she roared as much as a little girl could roar and swung the branch at Theus’ back. The anger in her face lit up with a sudden spark of fire as the branch caught flame before it hit and shattered against the man. Not that she’d meant to..

“The fuck?!” the branch had done little more than fuel the man’s rage and scorch his cloak a little more, and he turned to swing his blade at the child instead. Fuck the coin.

• Popcorn
Sarek held his breath and splayed his hand towards Nukpana as he watched the blade come down towards her. Without warning the ground gave way and stirred. What was once muddy and sodden earth now became alive with hundreds of furry bodies. Her footing gave way and she fell, thankfully avoiding the blade by a hairsbreadth.

"Girl, I don't wish to scare you, my magic is... messy. I would advise you keep your eyes closed while I deal with your captors." His warm smile was hidden beneath the yellowed bandages, but the pale eyes that were visible lightened and softened as he cast a glance towards Nukpana.

"Theus, you have sealed your fate." He stepped forth, his voice gaining a heavy and dark edge. The sellsword called for back up and sprung forward straight for Sarek - his blade raised. Brave, brave but futile.

The sickly purpley-green glow that Sarek had summoned drifted lazily towards Theus. His blade - a well-kept sword - suddenly rusted and faded into ash as the glow overcame it. His arm came next. He screamed as he watched the glow suddenly rot, blacken and wither his dominant arm. His screaming continued as he turned, an empty attempt at fleeing. Yet the plague that had overcome him was not mundane, nor would running aid him.

The man's face sunk and became bony, his body quickly losing moisture and looking emaciated. The figure, now gone from an over-muscled and hulk of an individual to a sickly hunchback, released a final breath. Theus fell to the floor, only footsteps away from Sarek.

He cast his hand horizontally across the campsite and the same impossible coloured wave swept across the area. To Nu, it would feel like a gentle warmth, any cuts or grazes she possessed would suddenly clean and the pain would deaden. Her captors, however, were not so fortunate.

The saddle sores, the grazes, the cuts, even scars from long-fought battles suddenly erupted. Festering, rotting, weeping. Screams of agony were released as the men around the camp collapsed. Their wounds soured, their blood thinned and each and everyone would feel their life seeping out of them with every passing second.

He breathed deeply. A coughing fit overcame him for a few long moments until he composed himself. "Sorry for that Nu... My magic isn't the prettiest, but with time I've learned to use it for the right reasons." His speech was staggered and breathless, Sarek leaning considerably more on his staff since casting his magic.

"So... They sent a bunch of mundies to capture a mage girl... Doesn't sound right..." He sighed. Regular people bereft of magic would rarely be used to capture a mage - no matter their age - no. There was another mage in the mix here. Sarek just hoped they could avoid them.

Last edited:
  • Cheer
The child grimaced as she fell, kicking at the rodents that seemed to erupt from the forest floor, and she felt the gust of air as the cold steel whooshed past her and quickly pulled herself away out of reach should Theus decide to swing again. Her little heart rattled relentlessly against her ribs and her fingertips sparked a few small flames onto the grass which she quickly batted out again.

Terrified eyes stared up at the man as he advised her to close her eyes, but Nu was not one to do as she was told, and she simply couldn't even if she'd wanted to. She did cover her ears from the screaming though, she never liked loud noises, particularly ones like that. She watched the man's flesh rotting and dying in front of her eyes, her expression contorted with horror as he fell, skeletal and decomposed, she had to fight down a violent wave of nausea. Now she understood. She should have closed her eyes.

She did now, there was more screaming, and the girl kept her hands over her ears and her eyes tight shut as she pulled her knees in toward her and pressed her forehead atop them, trying to keep it all out. Soon she heard muffled words and loosened the pressure on her ears a little, one eye opening to look up at Sarek, still panting quickly from panic. She cast a glance over the fallen Theus again and grimaced, her eyes closing again. Her brow furrowed against her knee at the man's words though, she'd been intent on not speaking but, it was a difficult task to keep her thoughts inside her mind for long..

"Mundies?..." she asked and looked up at him again, her expression one of confusion but the fear was slowly dispelling. He was helping her, she reminded herself. "They din't capture me... They were sposed to find someone to look after me. Since I caused trouble again.." she frowned, a glint of something dangerous in her eyes.

"I see." Sarek paused. The girl's world was already tough and dark enough, he didn't want to pop her bubble and reveal the true reason why the men had assisted her. Better to keep her in the dark, he decided. That said, he felt uncomfortable lying to her.

"It isn't you causing the trouble though is it girl?" He smiled beneath his bandages again, his eyes similarly softening up as he regarded her in the light of the smouldering embers. "It's the power inside you. It's not your fault you know?" He paused, trying to think about what he'd have liked someone to say to him many years ago and hoped it helped.

"They can be controlled you know? You can be taught, you can use your powers to help instead of hurt." As he spoke another coughing fit broke from him, but it was smaller than the first and he quickly regained his composure yet again.

"I thought my powers could only harm me and everyone around me. Now I can use them to help people, people like you or people who are ill. You'll find that too." He walked towards her slowly, withdrawing a small flask of water and held it out towards the girl. She'd failed to heed his advice about not watching and he was certain that she would need a drink to steady her stomach after witnessing the carnage he had just unleashed upon her captors.

"I come from a place where everybody is like you and me. Every one of us was looking for somewhere to call home. I can bring you there if you'd like and teach you." He paused for another moment, wondering if his offer might be a bit too much considering their limited and unusual meeting.

"Or, I can take you somewhere you'd like to go and we can see if we can find you somewhere else to call home?" His voice slowly returned back to normal as he spoke, the gruff and hoarse tone resuming its usual deep and gritty noise.

The child stared at the man as she listened, the crease of an angry little frown on her brow slowly softening as he continued. Nobody had ever told her anything but how much of a hinderance she was, they'd never tried to help her, not for long anyway.. Some tried but they soon sent her away whenever accidents happened... She fully believed she was a terrible child , she'd been told often enough. She frightened and enraged people, she hated people.

"All fire does is burns things." she muttered, her head tilting at him. "And I don' wanna help anyone. The ent never helped me." she huffed, blinking at him as he coughed. She stared at the offered flask, her nose wrinkling a little, he seemed sick, sharing his water probably wasn't a wise choice, but she was too thirsty to refuse and hesitantly reached to take it from him and she wasted no time in drinking some of it down when she had it in her grasp.

Another choice... Nu looked up at him, and at the mess around them, her expression a contortion of consideration.. "I don' have a home, don' want one neither. They jus' get sick of me burnin' things an' send me off again.." she seethed quietly and took another drink of water.

"I want to go to that place." she nodded firmly at the former option after another moment's thought.. "I'm Nu. What's your name?"

"Nu, nice to meet you. I'm Sarek." His eyes softened again as he watched her eagerly slurp down the canteen of water he had passed to her.

"Magic isn't so clear as that, all of it has it's uses, it's all about imagination and understanding." He stepped a bit closer to her and reached into his satchel. He didn't have much by the way of extra clothing, but the weather was far from pleasant this time of year, so he passed her one of his oversized cardigans.

"My own magic uses disease and plagues to make people ill, but I was taught that it can also take illness from people and stop wounds going bad." He nodded as she spoke. He could sympathise with a lot of what she had been through, but ultimately he hoped he could help change her. Sarek knew what it was like growing up embittered by the world, feeling slighted by the gods and the universe. It wasn't pretty.

"Fire is energy, it's not all about burning. I knew a fire mage who could use his magic to inspire courage, valour and even boost a persons ability to heal." He nodded slowly towards her.

"Crossroad mire, it's in a swamp, it smells a bit funny and the food isn't great... but... It's home and it welcomes anyone the world might otherwise reject. Not that I'm saying you're a reject, I'm sure you're a great kid." He spoke his words quickly now, he was aware the more he said the more he had of stumbling over them. Additionally, he still feared the presence of a wizard in the mix and Sarek did not want to encounter such a person.

Her head tilted at the man as she studied him, listening to his words with curiosity and mingled uncertainty. Nu didn't trust people, that much was clear. She accepted the garment. Despite running an alarming temperature the child found comfort in it...it was a strange thing to her.

She continued to stare at him as she listened to him speak, chewing on her lip as she considered..

“I ent...” she shook her head in response to his latter comment. She wasn’t a good kid at all, all she’d ever done was cause trouble. It was why nobody had wanted her and those who had struggled to keep her for long. This would likely turn out the same way. She sighed though, and pulled herself to her feet, wrapping the cardigan around herself tightly.

“Alrigh’... Ent never been to no swamp before..” she shrugged and looked at her feet shyly.

• Sip
He was warming quite quickly to the girl and he suspected it wasn't simply the vast amount of heat radiating from the girl. Although that said, it made his heavily bandaged appearance especially uncomfortable. He was used to the stifling heat of covering every ounce of flesh in fabric, he was not used to doing so while standing next to a young fire mage. He shrugged, he'd suffered greater uncomfort, he could live with it.

"Now, I'm warning you, it stinks, there are lots of bugs, sometimes pirates attack and the food is terrible... but... it's home." His voice tapered off for a moment there and a brief shake of his head brought him back from thoughts of his small run-down shack.

"You ever seen a mega 'gator? Huge beast, scales from head to toe. It's like a lizard with hundreds of teeth." He smiled, he wasn't particularly sure what kids liked. What Nu liked, but he was sure he'd find something.

As the two strode away from the camp, Sarek noted the girl had not brought any belongings and his heart sank. Her worldly possessions amounted to what she was wearing and little else. He sighed silently, he himself wasn't materialistic - but a child deserved better.

"I've got a few errands before we hit the swamp, but I assure you we'll soon be on track to return home." He spoke gently. In his mind he decided he would show the child some kindness, bring her to some of the pretty places he'd seen in his travels - as well as buy her a few trinkets on the way.

• Cheer
Nu looked up at Sarek as he spoke of bugs and mega gators and her head shook, but she was grinning ear to ear and she skipped, glancing back at the camp, deciding she'd made the right choice. She really wanted to see a mega gator..

'"That's alrigh'...I ent got no other place teh be!" she smiled.. "Where is your swamp? What errands you gotta do? Are the rats your pets? Do they got names? I had a mouse once, his name was feet....I set him on fire though." she huffed and shook her head, looking up at the man with a roll of her eyes in a 'you know how it is' sort of way..

• Popcorn
Sarek chuckled softly to himself. He didn't have much experience with kids, but he was a patient man who seldom turned away company - his disfigurements often did that for him.

"It's called Crossroad Mire, it's in the great Bayou Garramarisma. Oh, nothing in particular." He smiled, it might be nice to simply show her some good in the world before taking her to the rough and rowdy world of the swamp. Plus, he'd saved a few coins from the odd job to enjoy himself.

"They're familiars, bound to me in a strange way. I deal in plagues, disease and filth - so naturally insects, mosquitos and rats are kin to me... of a sort." He smiled calmly as he spoke.

"Perhaps we can teach you to summon something... Although, uh... I can't picture many fire animals." He laughed briefly.

"Is there anywhere you'd like to go or see?" He spoke, casting his pale grey eyes towards the girl.

Nu listened and continued to skip along by Sarek's side. The man didn't seem to be tired of her yet, he wasn't yelling at her or shoving her down.. She'd give it time.

He looked strange, she was sure he'd be frightening to most children, his magic had frightened her but he had told her not to look and so she knew he hadn't meant to scare her. He was fascinating, really, people didn't give her much of a chance either, so she felt somewhat akin to him, like he might understand her better than most people did.

"Oh.. So they like you then? You must be nice if they like you. If you weren't, they wouldn't hang out with you. Crows seem to like me.. But people say that's not a good thing an' that I'm a curse." she shrugged her shoulders, she was so used to hearing it that it was no longer hurtful.

"Oh! You mean like dragons? I saw one once. Well It was in a book. I couldn't read it, but the lady told me that's what it was...I can't remember her name, but it don't matter. I like dragons. I think.. They make fire too.........Hey. D'you think I'm really a dragon?" her brows lifted and she looked up at him.

"Uh.. I don't know many places.. Are there places with dragons?."

"Are you hungry, what do you eat? Do you need anything... Like clothes... Or... Bracelets?" He paused. There were some children at the Mire - several in fact - but they tended to avoid him. Hopefully, they wouldn't avoid her.

"I've never really thought about it you know... I think until I summon them... They don't exist?" He remained silently for a few moments as his mind wandered. What if this whole time he had been snatching away rats from their families - their children - he shuddered and thought no more on that.

"Crows are good! Smarter than most people I'd wager, you're not a curse anyway. I've seen curses and let me tell you, you are the opposite." He smiled beneath his bandages as the two gently strolled from the copse of trees they had fought in. In the distance, the twilight sun reflected a beautiful purple sky across rolling verdant hills.

"You could be a dragon I suppose... But don't they normally have scales? I'm sure we can go somewhere with dragons if you wanted." Sarek had never seen a dragon before, much like children he wasn't sure what they ate, nor what they did. Perhaps it would be a learning experience for both of them.

• Wonder
Nu paused at the questions and she looked up at him with a small frown and shrugged "I'm always hungry.. Jus', don' give me no more o' that grey meat you got." she wrinkled her nose. "I ent normally fussy. An I got clothes on, silly." she looked down and curled her fingers into her tattered and scorched skirts.

Her brow lifted and she continued along beside him, lips pursed thoughtfully as he spoke of the rats "So they're sorta like your babies, then? Do they have names?" she asked with a skip. She seemed surprised to hear that she wasn't a curse and she smiled up at him but said nothing, hoping he wouldn't change his mind about that in a few days.

She sighed deeply and her expression was one of longing as she looked out at the lilac horizon "I wish I were a dragon.." she looked down, checking the skin on her arm to double check that there were no scales there. There was only dirt, and a couple of freckles.

"You mean it?" she looked up, her eyes lighting up at his words. "We can actually go see them?" she asked, and before waiting for an answer, she threw her arms around the man's waist, and hugged him.

He considered whether to break it to the girl that the dried grey swamp meat was about as good as it gets when it came swamp food. Sarek shrugged, he decided it would be best if he kept that fact to himself. In the end, everyone got used to the rancid food... after some time.

"Well... I sort of gain a sense of them and can feel through them, imagine if you grew an extra furry limb with a mind of its own - that you still control - it's exactly like that" He smiled beneath his bandages. Sometimes a fresh perspective gave him an opportunity to reflect on his magic in ways he'd never considered.

"It's settled then, we'll go to the spine and find some dragons - I mean I think that's where they live... Maybe we should stop at Alliria first and do some research." He paused, wondering if the girl had been to the jewel of the human kingdoms. Regardless, it would be a short stay, his memories of his home were far from pleasant.

"I would take you to see the swamp dragons at home... but I think they're far too dangerous at the moment - maybe when you're a little older." He inhaled for a moment, then cursed himself inwardly. It had been a slip of the tongue, he hadn't meant to scare her, he certainly didn't want her to feel confined to his company.

He remained silent at his mistake and led the duo onto a well-maintained cobblestone road, marking the start of the journey to Alliria.

Nu chuckled at the thought of growing an extra, furry limb and she returned a smile up at him. Suddenly all of the rats didn't feel so frightening.

"The Spine?..Ent never heard of that place. Is it far?.." she asked..Not that she had anywhere to be, she'd just never really walked anywhere before. "I been to Alliria before though, but you gotta promise you won' let em' take me back, right? Was them what sent me away with Theus.. I.." she paused and chewed on her lip "I burned down some stuff... But I din't mean to exactly." she told him with an exaggerated shrug.

"Hey, you can read?..Wish I could read. Can you teach me that too?.." she looked up at him, still spilling out an onslaught of questions. Most men didn't last this long without losing their temper with her, Sarek was doing exceptionally well, but Nu was going to try not to test his patience..

She stared up at him with a frown however and settled her hands on her hips.. "Hey.. I ent scared of..of swamp dragons. I don' think.. I ent a coward custard." her nose wrinkled.

• Popcorn
Several passersby on the road glanced at the duo, they made a curious pair indeed. A man covered from head to toe in bandages and heavy wrappings - not a single ounce of flesh exposed, even on such a warm evening. Coupled with the small child in burnt and tattered rags, it was enough to draw a few glances. Regardless, Sarek ignored it. That said, he wasn't quite sure on their direction, so he was certain he would need to stop and ask for directions at some point.

"It's a giant mountain range past the Allirian Reach, it might take a month or two travelling to get there? But I mean, you don't just find a dragon on your doorstep, do you?" He had never been past Alliria and while he knew the wilds of the Allirian Reach was dangerous, he was certain he could handle anything that came their way. Plus, where else would the girl see dragons?

"When I was young I caused a plague outbreak in the slums... I didn't mean to either. Don't worry, I won't let them take you if you won't let them take me." He grinned beneath his bandages and chuckled to himself. The energy from the girl was infectious and he was enjoying his time with his little travelling sidekick.

"I can read, I learnt about two years ago, when we get back to Crossroad Mire I'll introduce you to the librarian - he's a skeleton, but he's very friendly and an excellent tutor!" He reached into his satchel as he spoke, taking out some more of the salted grey meat he had passed to her earlier and lowered his bandages to enable the consumption of it. It was disgusting of course, but he'd come to enjoy the peculiar taste and texture.

"Well let's meet some real dragons first and then we can see about finding a swamp dragon!" Sarek had no intention of showing her a swamp dragon. Those things were dangerous. He was a responsible adult and he would not be running around showing the poor girl a vicious feral swamp dragon. No, real dragons only for the time being - he decided.

"I think Alliria is this way..." He stated matter-of-factly, with no actual idea of which way Alliria was.

• Sip
Nu quite aggressively scowled at any and all passers by, even baring her gritted teeth at some with an audible growl. She hated people, they always fussed around her to make her feel comforted until she did something wrong and they recoiled, yelled at her and sent her off again. Sarek didn’t seem to be like normal people, he seemed more like her, he certainly didn’t look like someone who was easily accepted. She’d make sure she looked as unapproachable as possible, and keep people away.

“A month or two?” Nu smiled “That’s not so far.” She shrugged. That would only take a couple of days, right? She had absolutely no concept of time, but she also had nowhere to be and Sarek was a hoot!

She looked up at him and slammed her hand to her wide open mouth as he mentioned causing a plague and she chuckled mischievously. She believed him when he said he wouldn't allow anyone to take her, and she nodded with the most serious of expressions and puffed her chest a little. "I won', I promise. The bastirts can try!" she cursed, balling up her little fist and slamming it into her open palm with a small spark of flame that quickly diminished. It always seemed to shock her.

Nu blinked at his comment about the skeleton librarian and her head tilted, but she seemed to accept it and nodded with a small smile and she watched curiously as he lowered his bandages to eat some of the rancid grey meat he'd produced again. Her nose wrinkled.

"Why d'you gotta wear all them bandages? Did you hurt yourself? Don't it get warm?.." she frowned, and continued to skip along by his side, and onward with her endless torrent of questions.

"It isn't far, is it? Let's get some appropriate clothing in Alliria though - I know you're young and tough, but we'll need sturdy boots and warmer clothing for the Spine!" He spoke calmly and levelly towards the young girl. Sarek couldn't really recall the last time he had been shopping, most of his clothes were old - rags more than clothes really - and it might do good to add some variety to his drab, moth-eaten, wardrobe.

"It's uncomfortable and, yes, it does get warm." He paused for a moment, thinking about how best to approach this question. The mage shifted slightly beneath his bandages, the new attention on his attire caused him to notice the artificial layer covering his skin. It was akin to noticing your nose and losing the ability to filter it from your vision for an immediate time after.

"My appearance is unpleasant, but I enjoy the company of others. I would much rather keep myself hidden and not have acquaintances or strangers suffer." He spoke curiously. It was strange voicing the thought out in the open. He had long come to terms with his appearance, yet he knew people of the world would struggle. It was easier really, for both parties, if he remained cloaked.

As they carried along the road, Sarek breathed a sigh of relief. He could make out a waymarker revealing the pair were travelling the correct way.

"There's an inn about a quarter of a league away, we'll rest there for the night and get some proper food that hasn't been made in a swamp." He said jollily. He was excited to return to the inn. He'd stayed here while trailing Nu originally, it was pleasant enough and the food had been good.

Nu chuckled as she looked up at him and offered her arm for him to feel how hot her blood ran.. "I can't get cold, silly sausage. People said I got fire in my blood.. I came from the Tundra, you know. Have you been there? It's cold an' there's snow.. I ent never seen snow...Well, I guess I did once but, I don' remember it. They sent me away in case I melted it all.." she nodded matter-of-factly. "Boots would be nice though." she agreed with a shrug.

Her nose wrinkled as he gave his reasons for keeping the bandages on and she felt bad for him.. "That's sad. Well, I won' suffer. I won' get scared an' run off. I'll still talk to you Sarek.." she assured him and balled a fist to slam in into her other palm.. "I'll punch anyone who says anythin' but nice things." she frowned, her face a scowl of determination.

"Oh you mean it? Ent never stayed at no inn before. Tried to sneak into a kitchen once an' got batted by an ol' bastirt with a broom." she frowned, and the memory of the smell of good food made her stomach growl in protest. "I like bein' yer friend Sarek." she decided with a firm nod, and swaggered merrily by his side.

"Oh no, I've never been, my body is far too frail for that. I wouldn't possibly cope." He paused for a moment at the excited kid. He considered asking her about returning to the tundra, but her last statement shot that idea down immediately. Perhaps, he mused, once she learned to control her powers she could return and seek out her family. If she wanted to of course.

"Haha, well that's good, my punches are weak, so I'll keep you around for muscle."He smiled at Nu's approval of the inn, the girl had seen very little kindness it seemed. Yet she still remained so jolly and upbeat, he was happy he could shine some light into her life.

"Lots of good food to eat too - and a comfy bed!" He spoke calmly, in the distance a squat stone building rose from the horizons and Sarek gestured towards what could safely be assumed, was the inn.

"Weak?! HAH!" Nu protested and turned to point back in the direction they'd come from "Did you see what you did back there?!" she karate chopped the air and threw a kick. "That weren't weak that were.." she threw another air punch. "AWESOME!" she grinned up at him, beaming proudly and lifting her chin up as he said she had muscle.

"Aye. Stick with me." she smirked and swaggered by his side until she spotted the building and she rushed forward a few paces.

"Is that the inn?" she bounced excitedly, her hollow stomach growling in anticipation.