Letters The wise lord...

Roleplay dedicated to correspondence type roleplays such as letters.

Quintus Vexion

The Star Touched Knight
Character Biography
Link
To Lady Batahlia,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and that the Celestials have blessed you with their grace. Word has reached my ear that your Lord Father is in bad health. I ask that you give him my kindest regards. My own father had grown quite fond of him during one of his tours of the Reach. Lord Abraxas always admired the strong nature and reputation of your House.

It isn't my nature to mince words, my Lady. I hope this doesn't come off as intrusive or ill timed, but the world is changing. Threats to the light of Alliria and to the Reach are at an all time high and it is important to remember who our friends are. Word has reached me that your husband was killed in battle by a force that has long been a plague in the Reach and beyond. You have my condolences. The monster that took his life has been responsible for the deaths of many. I wish to ensure the survival of both of our houses and it is my hope that you consider joining them together. I know what I am asking is no small thing. I hope you take the time to consider my offer as I feel there is a great deal we can do to help each other.

Kindest Regards,
Quintus Vexion
Merchant Councilor of Alliria

[The letter is sealed with black wax, the symbol of a sword and a shooting star streaking behind it. The sigil of House Vexion.]

• Gasp
Reactions: Zeraphine Batahlia
Dearest Quintus,

I am moved by your kind words and concerned inquiries into my well-being. The Celestials have indeed blessed me with their grace, and I thank you for taking the time to inquire about my Lord Father. He is indeed unwell, but I am confident that he will make a full recovery with the love and care of our family.

It is with great interest that I receive your letter, for the world is indeed changing, and the threats to Alliria and the Reach are indeed at an all-time high. I agree with you that it is important to remember our friends, especially in these tumultuous times. I am deeply grateful for your condolences for my late husband, and I know that his death was not in vain.

I have given your proposal much thought and I must say that I am quite intrigued by the idea of joining our houses together. The potential to help one another and ensure the survival of both of our houses is indeed no small thing, and I am eager to explore it further. I hope you can appreciate the trust that such a union would require, and I look forward to discussing it in greater detail in the near future.

Warm regards,

Lady Zeraphine Batahlia

received_888187352425008.jpeg

[[The letter is sealed with a blank pool of red wax. There is the symbol of a black rearing horse against a red shield with black laurels surrounding that is painted onto the bottom of the letter. The sigil of her house. The letter smells faintly with a dark, mysterious, and alluring scent. Bold floral notes with hints of spice and warm amber.]

Quintus Vexion

Lady Batahlia,

I find the scent that you applied to your last letter to be a treat. It reminds me of a certain mountain flower that grows near to the base of the Spine and it is a scent I've never experienced since. I thank you.

You are no stranger to the Capital, I know. All the same, I would like to invite you to stay as a guest of House Vexion for a time. I have plenty of room within my estate to house both you and your retinue. All of your expenses will be taken care of. Certainly, you have been all throughout the city, but it is my intention to show it to you in ways that only a scion of it's magnificence could ever hope to. I look forward to finally being in your presence, should you choose to accept my invitation.

Kindest Regards,
Quintus Vexion

[The letter is sealed with black wax, the symbol of a sword and a shooting star streaking behind it. The sigil of House Vexion. This one was different. This time to look upon the sigil, the Lady Zeraphine might feel a particularly warm feeling wash over her. One of comfort and contentment. The effect seems to pass the longer one peers at the wax seal and it breaks once the seal is broken.]

• Cthuulove
My dearest Lord Quintus,

I was most pleased to receive your letter and the warm words you have extended to me. Your invitation to stay as a guest of House Vexion is most generous and I would be delighted to accept. The prospect of staying in your estate and experiencing the city in new ways through your eyes is most exciting. I have a particular love for spicy and foreign cuisine, so if you know of any reputable establishments, or have a cook on staff who can accomplish such dishes. I would be over not just one moon, but both of them in gratitude.

I shall make the necessary preparations and look forward to our reunion soon. Your kindness is most appreciated and I cannot wait to be in your presence.

Warmest regards, Lady Zeraphine Batahlia

[Enclosed in the letter is a small black handkerchief embroidered with the Batahlia family crest. That same scent faintly climging to the fabric. It is enchanted to never stain.]

Some time later...

The city was special that evening. The sun was beginning to duck behind the clouds and the torches and candles in households and businesses made Alliria seem to pulse. As though a thousand fireflies were engaged in a dance that only they knew, but all others would admire.

Spring was creeping in and pushing away the chill that came from winter. The bite was still there, though. This time of year had always been Lord Quintus's favorite. The winter never suited him and so he always looked forward to the warmer months or the chance to escape the colder weather and see what things were like elsewhere. Alas, the latter was far from likely to happen since he had taken his position as Lord of House Vexion. His Lord Father had always reminded him that a man's pride should be in all of the things that would extend his legacy... the legacy of his blood. His paths to preserving it were many and yet he could not bring himself to shame the gods by being anything other than a good man in order to do so.

The welcoming party for Lady Batahlia and her retinue was small. Councilor Vexion stood tall and handsome in black velvet robes. His silky black hair practically blended in with the shade and was fashioned into a long ponytail. He hated that he had to walk with cane. Each time he wore the Star-Touched Armor, his body took longer to recover. No matter how many prayers he spoke to the heavens, the gods seemed keen on reminding him of the direness of his mortal form. He would break one day, he knew... Next to him stood Sir Roland, a knight from the Order of the Flaming Hand, who stood a few inches taller than Quintus. His skin was a dark brown and his limbs were lanky. He stood patiently alongside a few of the men from the household guard.

Lady Batahlia's party was hardly anything to scoff at and all the same, Quintus kept a stoic visage. Slowly, he made his way over to the lady's carriage and offered his hand in the shadow of the looming estate, which was tall and made of white marble.

"My Lady," he said as he leaned down to place his lips against her knuckles. "I welcome you to the Vexion Estate. I trust your trip here went without any trouble."

• Ctuhlu senpai
The city of Alliria was alive with the promise of spring, but for Zeraphine, the colder months held a special charm. Autumn and winter always spoke to her in ways that the warmer months never could. There was something about the chill in the air that made her mind clearer, sharper. It was a time for reflection, planning, and calculation. The season for crackling fires, warm blankets, and salacious books that made her cheeks grow warmer still.

As the carriage made its way through the city, Zeraphine watched as the torches and candles lit up the streets, casting flickering shadows that danced like ghosts. The sounds of laughter and chatter filled the air, and the aroma of roasting meats mingled with the crispness of the evening air.

When they arrived at the Vexion Estate, Zeraphine stepped out of the carriage and took in her surroundings. The tall white marble structure loomed above her, and she couldn't help but feel a twinge of excitement mixed with apprehension. This was to be her new home, her new life. She was here to meet the man she was to marry, and the thought made her heart race. She never thought she would be in this position again after the death of her late husband. The murder, she reminded herself with an old anger that ate at her heart.

Quintus greeted her with a polite bow and a kiss on the hand, and Zeraphine could feel his eyes upon her. She wondered what he saw when he looked at her, and what he thought of her. She kept her face neutral, not wanting to betray any of her thoughts or feelings. She was here to play a part, to become the wife of a Lord, and she would do so with all the grace and poise that was expected of her.

"My Lord," she said, her voice steady and composed as she curtsied before him. "It is a pleasure to meet you at last. The journey here was pleasant, and I am grateful for the warm welcome extended to me and my retinue. And that's to say nothing about the beauty of your home and the dedication you've put into it."

Last edited:

Quintus gave her a smile. A genuine one. One that made him avert his warm gaze for but a moment. Yes, there had been great and painstaking care placed into his home. He put forth that care the same way every Lord in his line both great and small had put forth their care. The ones who had not proven themselves worthy of wearing the Star-Touched armor were still warriors, sages, philosophers, accountants and commanders. Those who held sway with Astra's progeny gave more than most would ever even know. For to wear the armor and carry the sword meant to give one's soul and body to something they could never truly comprehend. To be an instrument in the hands of voices and celestial entities that were unknowable.

At the very least, he was happy they called to him to be a good man. at the very least, they called for him to be honorable and use the powers at his disposal for the good of his people and the good of the world at large. And though he could not hear them with the crystal helm made from that great meteor that fell and became humanity's salvation, it was their will that propelled him to look up from the dirty ground and regard the one who would be the lady of his House and the one that would see his line carried on.

The Lord of House Vexion offered his hand to Lady Bathalia so that he might guide her and her retinue to the innards of a place most sacred to his blessed line.

"I've always found that the true spirit of a home is found where beauty often hides itself," he said as he gestured with the cane in his left hand to the reinforced wooden doors of his estate. "Within... Ryken here will lead your men to their quarters and arrange for their horses to be tended to. In the meantime, I would like to give you a tour of the estate if you aren't too tired from your journey."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Zeraphine observed the sincerity in Quintus's smile, noting the fleeting warmth in his gaze. There was an earnestness about him that intrigued her, a depth she hadn't anticipated. His words carried a certain weight and she found herself drawn to his sense of purpose, recognizing a reflection of her own convictions in his demeanor.

Accepting his outstretched hand with grace, she allowed him to guide her towards the grand doors of his estate. "Your sentiment is rather poetic, Lord Vexion," she replied, her tone teasing.

As Ryken, the estate steward, directed her retinue to their accommodations and the horses' care, Zeraphine turned her attention back to Quintus. "I am not tired in the least. In fact, I'm quite eager to explore the nooks and crannies of your esteemed estate. A tour would be most delightful, and I am keen to witness firsthand the grandeur of House Vexion."

She cast a curious glance at the reinforced wooden doors, a sense of anticipation growing within her. This visit marked the beginning of her new life, and she was determined to approach it with both caution and an open mind. Standing beside Quintus, she awaited the promise of exploration within the walls of his illustrious home.

Their betrothal had started with the tentative exchanging of letters. A sense of duty and etiquette leading their quills, for theirs was a political marriage. But in the most carefully guarded places of Zeraphine's soul, did she even gander to cautiously hope that there would be love found for her here someday.

So even though she would use her husband and build an empire behind him, for she would be dead in the ground before she went without power, perhaps she could be persuaded to do it in the name of her husband. To stand by his side and fight for him from the shadows. To salt the earth of any foe that would oppose him.

She was determined to be of use, to prove herself in the teachings of her father. He had wanted a son, and for that she had spent her entire life atoning for her crimes.

Quintus Vexion

At her mention of his poetic sentiment, the corners of Lord Vexion's lips turned up a bit and he cast his eyes down as he held her hand in his.

With her go-ahead, he guided her toward the tall marble structure and through the heavy doors of his home. The ceiling was high and told a story on it's canvas. As a boy, Quintus would gaze up at it and take in every detail. In the center is a depiction of the first Star-Touched Knight, raising Ghostwarden high into a stormy sky. Light emitted from him and all about him was chaos. His light shined against terrible creatures all about him and as the paining expanded, the enemies that were beaten back by his light grew more mundane. A reminder of all of the terrible things men were at war with. Their own demons being the closest and the evils of men without.

There were doors leading to the east and west wing of the Estate and directly in front of them, there were stairs leading to a large open study that gave one a bird's eye view of the foyer.

"It took me some time to come to call this place home," he said. He'd spent most of his life on some far horizon. Fighting battles for one Lord or another under some mercenary's banner. He was running away from his responsibilities of being his father's heir. Now he could know nothing else but this. "Let us dine. I hsall have something prepared for us if you haven't eaten on the road."

Calculated eyes traced the murals, marveling in its vivid imagery—a tale of battles fought, demons conquered, and the endless struggle against the malevolence that haunted both men and realms.

As Quintus guided her through the expansive halls, his hand in hers, she became acutely aware of his touch, his warmth, and the slight pressure of his hand in hers. He seemed so eager to foster this tentative connection between them—a bridge, fragile yet potent. And the genuineness in which he handled her, stirred something within, a faint flutter of burgeoning curiosity. Yet memories of her late husband kept her walls well in place, resistant to his charm.

Their steps continued on, echoing in the cavernous spaces, the grandeur of the interior reminding her of her own home with a strange sense of homesickness. Even the upper library, where Zeraphine's gaze lingered on shelves teeming with volumes, made her fingers itch to run along the leather spines. Visions of spending rainy days in solitude while tucked into a corner with a warm blanket and a novel gave her comfort.

"It took me some time to come to call this place home," he said. He'd spent most of his life on some far horizon. Fighting battles for one Lord or another under some mercenary's banner. He was running away from his responsibilities of being his father's heir. Now he could know nothing else but this. "Let us dine. I hsall have something prepared for us if you haven't eaten on the road."

Squeezing his hand gently in acknowledgment, Zeraphine offered a measured smile. His offer for dinner reminding her of the rumbling ache roiling through her stomach; it had been a long day of travel. "I would be delighted." she replied politely.

Quintus Vexion