Private Tales The Voyage

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
U

Uarraig Tolmach

Uarraig was eager to get going, he and his crew of thirty men were soon to sail north in search of a small archipelago rumered to be there, they had been asked to confirm that they exist, and to map it if possible, and they had hunting rights should they find it, and with the monsters rumered to be there, Uarraig was hoping that he might kill a few and earn his Svalen on the journey. Of course, he didn't know if he would earn it, but he was determined to try, and try hard. So, with his axe, sword and dagger at his belt and his shield on his back, he got ready to board. They only had to wait for the artist to arrive.

An artist, Nina she was called, had wanted to come with them, or had been asked to, he didn't know why she was coming, but he had no complaints, he got to meet a potential friend. So he stood on the rocky shore, the longship behind him and ready to sail while the seaward breeze blew into his face, which he inhaled deeply with a smile, what a fine day this was. He watched inland for the arrival of the artist.

• Yay
Reactions: Nina
“I heard Iris has been recovering well.”

The words finally broke out. They’d been held back for hours.

“Ahmm.”

The ill-boding mutter at the girl’s side, she felt it more than heard it. They kept walking.

“The surgery was a success. So the doctor said. He said it’s the first one of its kind. ‘novative. So he said.”

Eyes closed. A step in the darkness, then another. The steps at her side had a weight of someone who could break her neck with two fingers. She remembered reaching out inside someone’s body, with her mind. Her own voice, guiding the doctor’s scalpel, perhaps decided whether someone lived or died. The doctor had asked for her assistance. Her magic. She wouldn’t know for a long time if she’d asked to cut out too little.

“Mhm.”

“I thought this would help.” Nina pleaded. Help whom, she wondered? Suds had been convinced by her suggestion to quietly get Iris to Elbion, to see a doctor. In Blight Orc culture, this was dishonorable. The weak died. The strong thrived. Nina had fought the natural order.

Silence.

“Graograman sent you with me to punish you?” The girl whispered. Graograman was Suds’ superior in the army.

“You talk too much.”

The two figures walked along the seawall, onto the beach. Even from a distance they stood out from each other. The first was lanky, somewhat crane-like, and stumbled to catch up to the second with the swagger of an experienced seafarer. The second was larger, not so much in height, but well-built, and with deep-set eyes that studied the piles of rocks on the beach with the air of one expecting an ambush. The warrior wore armor, overlapping angular plates glimmering dull black in the morning sun. They were the color of expensive lacquer once soul had been taken out of it, the color of the army of Molthal. Both figures carried bundles of what appeared to be winter clothes.

As they came closer to the ship, it would become clear that the larger figure was an orc, a blight orc to be precise, and the smaller one was a human. The human had olive skin, and her hair was adorned with beads in the manner of pirates and sea gypsies. She looked boyish and young. The orc had green-ashen skin crisscrossed with the scars of combat, and even for one who knew orcs well, it would have been difficult to guess whether they were looking at a masculine-looking woman or a feminine-looking man.

“Hello!” Nina greeted the young man who appeared to be waiting around. The Eretejva ship anchored behind him was their destination, as well as the start of their next journey.

Of course, she’d done plenty of waving and smiling even before they could hear each other. It wouldn’t do to worry people with all the weapons that her companion was carrying. “Do you know of one called Uarraig?” She spoke in a lighthearted manner, but her fleeting eyes barely made contact. “If he’s on this ship, I think we’re supposed to come along.”

Her fingertips stroked the air, along the image of the ship.

“I’m Nina.” She bowed, lightly but with a flourish. For a moment she hesitated, with her palm pointing towards her companion. “Suds.” She settled on.

“Suds is my…bodyguard.”

A pause.

“Should we get aboard? You can show us the ship and how we can be of help. I heard the voyage will be an important occasion.”

Uarraig Tolmach

He watched the duo approach, and he waited for them with a smile. He stood up straight, and put on the friendliest face he could, which was pretty friendly-looking despite his appearance. He was quite excited to get going on this trip because of what it meant to him. No only was he contributing to the knowledge of his people, he had a chance to earn his svalen. He couldn't wait to get going, and he was going to make two new friends while he was at it, he couldn't imagine anything better.

When asked about Uarraig, he decided to try a joke. "Uarraig? Maybe? I think he's the one going west about forty miles that way." He gestured further along the beach. Of course he was having difficulty containing a grin.

If they fell for it he'd start laughing and tell the truth, if they didn't he'd simply shrug and say, "worth a shot."

"A pleasure and a privilege to meet the both of you. Nina and Suds? Is that right?" He brought the two aboard before kicking off and sailing north. The rowing crew didn't need to do much thanks to the strong wind that filled their sail. They were off.

Nina’s head snapped to the side, eyes frantically searching the coast. Had their ship already left?! The young man’s laughter at first unnerved her, then made the girl look smaller as she hid between her shoulders, followed by a sheepish chuckle. All throughout, Suds simply stared at him.

They boarded the ship, a ship that was smaller and somewhat rough when compared to the one Nina had grown up on. As she stepped over the benches, she remembered the Paper Boat, its body crafted out of witch wood and sugar maple, its three white masts to this unnamed ship’s one, the little cupboard where she slept. The Paper Boat had been a home for the pirates aboard it, while the Eretejvan ship felt more like a means of travel. Still, the creak of the wood and the smell of salt was as homely as ever. The oars, Nina thought, would fit the Northern seas, and their often unpredictable winds.

She greeted the crew and sat down near Uarraig. On her opposite side, Suds looked at the sea as if they debated stabbing it. Later on, they would take out an unfinished sock and knit without looking at the needles.

“What have you been able to gather about our destination? If you don’t mind me asking.” The girl asked the Eretejvan.

She would listen. Her eyes would drift to the sky and the sea, reading the currents and the waves. It wasn’t the fact that she didn’t trust their travelling companions, more that she couldn’t stop herself anymore than she could stop herself from noticing the color blue.

She wondered how much she should be sharing of what had brought them here.

“There’s a story that I came across.” She said later. “Have you ever heard of the legend of Metheus?”

Uarraig Tolmach

“What have you been able to gather about our destination? If you don’t mind me asking.” The girl asked the Eretejvan.

"Only that it might not actually exist. We're going out to map the oceans further north, and to see if there are any islands or subcontinents out there. We have heard rumors of an Archipelago that is home to monsters of epic proportions, wolves the size of horses. Sea serpents as long as roads. Six headed monsters of the deep. Fish with mouths large enough to swallow a while whole, it will be glorious should it prove true, fair Nina." He says with a wistful sigh. "And hopefully, I will earn my svalen while we're out there."

Then she spoke about a legend she had heard, but that was unfamiliar to him. "No, I have never heard the name Metheus."