Completed The Terror of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ayman

Akiva Sea

Ayman stood at the prow of the Golden Sparrow, the wind whipping at his face and his fingers wrapped tightly around the railing.

Three sails flapped hard behind him, warm winds pushing them faster and faster across the Akiva Sea. It was humid here, even this far out in the ocean. The Captain had said it mostly had to due with tidal forces and Kiva's manipulations of the weather, but Ayman had no idea if that was true.

Kiva was a foreign god to him, and though most of the crew believed in her he was still more than a little suspicious.

The gods of his people were far different, far more cruel.

Ayman preferred to put his faith in something else, something more tangible. Unconsciously at the thought Ayman fingered his coat pocket, moving the two dice around. They were the only reason he had survived this long, the only reason he had managed to come so far.

They were what he believed in. His lips thinned at the thought, it was dark, but unfortunately true. He was no great sailor and most certainly not a great fighter. He'd earned his place among the crew, but mostly through his ability in lying, and the dice of course.

Always the dice. "The Island's up ahead."

Ayman mentioned quietly to the man standing beside him. He was a newcommer to the crew, recruited from the last ship that the Sparrow had captured. A merchant sailor once, now just another pirate.

"Prepare to be underwhelmed." The Island of course was where the Captain of The Golden Sparrow kept a heavy storage of their stolen goods. Rum, silks, even a bit of gold. All of it was stored on this forgotten little island. Once it had been an outpost for the Allirian Navy, but long ago they had abandoned it for one reason or another.

Now it was a secret hideaway for the pirates of the Sparrow.

If you asked her, it didn't matter how she had gotten on this island, only that she was good and stuck and that sucked.

Not all adventures could go according to plan, but as far as fuck ups went-- she had hit the jackpot with this place. It had only taken a day of hunger to find the hidden stash. It didn't take a genius to note the fucking rope that had been left sticking out of the moss and dirt. Digging it up had led her to the delicious discovery of a small storage room. And after that, she had plenty of time to pick apart the island to find the rest.

With this discovery in hand it had all become a bit of fun. Kiha knew it was only a matter of time until a ship hit up the horizon, the island sitting along a frequent trade route for Allirian ships. So she cracked open the rum, called in a wind, and waited.

Near every day she preformed a ritual summoning strong gusts of wind, hoping to catch any ship around her and drag them on into her. She couldn't bend spirits to her will like her mother and sisters could, but she could call in a storm. Anticlimactic, she knew. But today it would save her ass.

The wind caught the sails of the ship in the horizon, a fact she was unaware of as she lounged drunkenly in the largest cavern on the island. She sat on a throne of silks, empty bottles and coconut shells spewed around her. Gold hung from her body lavishly, its weight almost distracting as she sang to herself in a smooth foreign tongue and tried to level the bottle cleanly into her mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sparrow moored itself almost a mile away from the island itself, the water being too shallow for them to continue on any longer.

A few of the crew would stay aboard, though most would venture onto the island itself. Being at sea for so long was rough for many, and even a chance to walk on dry land was more than welcome to most.

For Ayman even more so.

The young rogue had grown up in the depths of the Ixtchel Wilds. Surrounded by deep jungles and humid air the open ocean simply wasn't the place for him. He'd grown used to it after a while, and certainly it helped that he'd ingrained himself with most of the crew...but he still didn't feel all that comfortable when it came to being away from land for so long.

Three long boats departed the sparrow, cutting across the clear blue water of the natural cove before they landed upon the white sand beaches.

As soon as they made landfall someone shouted something about footprints. Before long there was a clamor, and already Aymen couldn't help that something was about to happen. The pirates were shouted at, and then quickly split I to teams of three. All of them were quickly sent to scour the island, including Aymen.

It wasn't hard to find the cavern she was in. She had made no attempts at hiding her presence on the island. A smoldering bonfire smoked faintly on the beach by the entrance-- smoke signals used as a call for help. Well at least someone finally responded. The small ruckus she was making echoed its way out of the cool depths of the cellar, coins falling and scattering from carefully stacked piles as she knocked them over as her song crescendo.

She had been in there for what would appear like weeks. Drunk or mad, it was impossible to tell as she spun haphazardly in place and knocked another pile over.

"ʻO ke ola o ka mea pōā noʻu~" She sang, falling back into the silks with a laugh and reaching for another bottle of rum.

• Yay
Reactions: Ayman
Pirate did not take too kindly to their things being stolen, but Ayman wasn't a pirate.

Most of what was on this island had been off-limits to him. A crew member needed to have been on the Golden Sparrow for at least a year to partake in this wealth. It was of course because of trust, he and others had been recruited off of ships attacked.

If someone untrustworthy was given an equal share...well it didn't take a genius to figure out what could go wrong with that sort of thing.

Thus when he and the other two pirates stumbled upon the cavern Ayman was the only one of the three of actually smile at the drunken woman and her shenanigans. One of the other two stepped forward, his sword drawing.

"HEY YOU!"
He called out to the woman. Ayman smiled slightly, then turned to the other man. "Better go get the Captain, eh?"

Kiha peered over her knees at the men standing at the entrance and grinned. "Kokoke i ka manawa."

She grunted, pushing herself up onto her elbows and taking what she sensed would be one of her last drinks of rum in a while. Damn, it was good stuff too. She reveled in it for a moment as the man scattered out to get this 'captain', the common understood, though not let on.

She eyed the remaining two, her expression alight with amusement.

"Beh, sembri abbastanza capace. Mantessant, qualcuno di voi?" She asked, inquiring on if they knew the new tongue she spoke. It came from the large northern neighbor of Vel Anir. She spoke it fluently.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
Ayman did not understand, and he sensed that his remaining crewmember did not either. Still, the man didn't seem too upset about being being able to talk to the woman. Instead he stalked forward, the cutlass that had been at his side flicking out of it's scabbard.

"Come here you mangey twit!"
The pirate lunged forward and grabbed for the girl, reaching and trying to seize her arm.

Ayman meanwhile stood at the entrance of the cave, clearly not interested in engaging. His loyalty to this crew was...tangential at best. He stuck with them because he had absolutely nowhere else to go, and although he waslucky...that didn't really translate to anything.

Not yet anyway.

A blade flashed out, flicking up the pirate's chest and ending at his throat. A trail of blood trickled up after it, the tip of the blade pressing delicately against his adam's apple. The pressure remained firm and threatening in case he tried to reach any further.

She looked him up and down, her eyes hardening a degree. "Now I get the feeling you just insulted me," she commented in broken common. "Which would be bad for you, what with my god's liking to take blood as payment." The pressure increased.

With her free hand she took another lazy swig, glancing at the man at the door with a raised brow to see if he'd back up his own man.

• Yay
He would not.

Though the band of thirteen or so pirates that appeared in the cave entryway behind him most certainly would. Most of them were dressed just as the other man that had assaulted Kiha, though one of them was wearing an outfit far more grand than all the rest.

"Kept her here for you, Cap'n." Ayman tried not to sound sarcastic when he said the words, though from the way the Captain looked at him it was hard to tell whether or not he had actually managed to do that.

The man had never liked him.

With a sneer the finely dressed man stepped in front of Ayman and walked into the cavern, glancing around at his treasures and the bottle of liquor.

"Who the fuck are you?"​

Kiha shoved the man hovering over her away with the flick of her dagger, stealing a prick more of blood from his throat as he choked at the pressure and backed away for his captain.

She didn't bother standing up, lounging comfortably on her throne of silks. "Makihakiha An'Ka Imla Iwi Lua, my lord," she half mocked, the flow of her name next to the common words almost grating to the ears. She certainly hated pairing them, at least, her lip curled up at the effort.

"I see my storm finally dragged some dregs in," she leveled, holding none of her hand back. Even still, she spoke in horrendously broken common, the effort clear on her face. "Take me off this island and onto the closest port and I'll be sure it doesn't follow your ass till the end of seas itself."

"Hell. I'll even let you loot from here as payment."

• Yay
"Witch!"
Someone yelled it, and the word immediately made Aymen cringe. The last thing you wanted to call any magic user was a 'witch'. Even on their best day those types tended to get grouchy at being called names. He'd seen a woman take a man's head off for it once.

Granted that had been back in the Wilds.

The Captain, for his part, seemed to contort his face. Half of him was clearly still angry, and another half afraid. The Golden Sparrow had no mages upon it, nor did anyone else know of his dice. Most of them were superstitious men, as most Sailors tended to be.

"This is my island."
The Captain said as he stepped forward.

"You be tresspassing Lass, and we don't take kindly to that sort of thing."
Ayman cringed slightly, frowning and then taking a step forward. The captain didn't like him, not one bit actually, but he listened to reason. "Captain..."

She cocked a brow at the things revealed to her, most surprising being she had actually dragged in the very owners of this loot.

Whoops.

She played this off though, twirling the blood-tipped dagger in her fingers as she stood up to her full height. She stood taller than most, her body lean and well built. "Well then I thank ye for ye rum, and for the safe passage to the shore least you want to capsized come morning," she threatened softly.

"I don't have to be your enemy. You'll find it's in my liking to not drown to a storm at sea."

• Yay
The Captain stepped forward, but before he could Aymen caught his arm.

"Sir." The other man whirled around and seemed as though he were about to strike, but stopped himself, staring at Aymen expectantly. "She's a windcaller."

Or at least she claimed to be one.

That was probably not the right term for it wherever the woman came from, nor did he think the Captain would understand. Windcallers were what his people called a certain subset of witches. They weren't common, mostly found in the westlandss, but usually they made their homes within the mountains.

It was said that some of them could fly, others could summon great storms, and still others could bring forth Harpy's on a whim. Aymen had no idea the truth of it, but he understood the value of a mage.

"She could be useful." He said quietly, the Captain staring at him for a moment before he turned back to Kiha.

"You have a debt."
The Captain said, pointing at Kiha.

"I'll let you live, but you've got to pay off what you've sullied."

She gave a slow skim of the men around her, a brow raised on the captain as she leaned in and asked, "A few bottles for all of your lives, I can pay that back in one storm. And this one I won't call in," she winked, scooping up her bottle and brushing past him.

"Well since I'm already paying." She took a drag of it, hiccuping and waving the dagger around.

"Any of your men lay a finger on me and I gut them," she added, moving to walk past them too and break out into the blinding light of day. The wind whipped and howled, tossing her curls around her.

• Yay
Ayman stepped away from the Captain and let the woman pass, though an idea had already formed on his mind. A pretty good one at that.

The Captain for his part seemed about as angry as ever, his face still trying to contort into a mixture of vexation and complete anger and disregard. Aymen looked at the man with a slight frown for a brief moment, then spoke quietly. "A storm brought to the right place..."

He didn't finish the words, but the Captain stared as though he were expecting him to.

"We could use it to direct an entire fleet, or break one. Maybe a treasure fleet from the North Alliria Company..." The Rogue suggested quietly.

The Captain's face contorted, then brightened slightly, then he suddenly turned and stalked out of the cave.

He'd emerge to hear the last whispers of her words tear off in the wind, the dagger raised and blood glinting off the sunlight that pulled through the clouds.

A rumble went through the air, the clouds slowly dispersing and rolling out into a blue sky. She did not betray the effort that had costed her, magic not done so easily as some others in her family line. "How far to the closest port?" She asked over her shoulder, wiping off the blade on a bare calf and slipping it back into the folds of her waistline.

• Yay
The Captain did not answer her, instead shouted towards some of the other crew to gather up some gold.

Ayman glanced at the strange woman for a few seconds, frowning as he realized that no one was going to answer her question. After a moment he stepped forward. "About three weeks to a proper port."

The Rogue stated simply.

"Though we won't be headed to one for a bit." Not with the idea that he had just put into the Captain's head. Aymen wasn't much of a pirate, but he was an opportunist.

There was definitely opportunity here.

"I suspect he'll gladly drop you off at some random length of shore." Aymen said. "After you make a storm for us."

She scowled into her curls. "I'll sooner turn him right back around again, no he won't," came the horrendously broken common. She seemed to understand more than she could speak, an attempt at education done. Thought like most languages, it had been one thing to be taught another to show proficiency.

She slammed the cork in her rum and slid it into the bag at her side, convinced for the moment that she had gotten away with her possession of stolen gold strewn across her body.

I mean how could he know she hadn't arrived with them, right?

She'd smite him.

A small victory grin bit at the corner of her lips. She glanced at Ayam, giving a properly one over.

"Aint much of a fighter, are you."

• Yay
"No." He had absolutely no issue admitting that.

Aymen had never claimed to be any sort of pirate or warrior. Fighting someone just...well wasn't what he did. There were others for that sort of thing, menial thugs and fools. He could take care of himself, but why waste energy fighting when he could just talk?

Besides, he had the dice.

"Fighting is for fools." He told her. "I prefer fucking."

Stealing too, but he wasn't about to mention that. There was no doubt in his mind that the gold she wore did not belong to her, but he wasn't about to comment on that.

Not when there was so much opportunity to be had.

She barked a laugh, shaking her head and starting towards the shore.

"Come on, I'll show you where to grab some rum before they see. They don't feed you enough, do they." She glanced skeptically at him over her shoulder, judgment lingering in every aspect of her gaze. Still, he had been a voice of reason for her back there so she was happy to scratch his back in return.

She caste a glanced around to make sure no shadows were on their heels, then slipped them into the foliage, a rotten door underfoot. She grabbed the thick rope and yanked it up, gesturing down to the darkness beneath. "Grab me an fresh one while you're down there, will ya."

• Yay
"No." Ayman said shaking his head.

He was a thief and a rogue, but he wasn't an idiot.

"You're lucky they let you go in the first place." Which she had only managed to do in the first place because he'd appealed to the Captain. "Learn your lesson. The Captain catches you again and he'll take your head off."

Ayman frowned for a moment. "Even if you kill half the crew in the process."

He didn't know much about magic, but he knew that it had it's limits. There was no doubt she could do some nasty things, but if the entire crew was out to kill her? No way that would work out well.

Besides. He was looking out for his own life too. The Captain didn't like him in the first place, and stealing from the hand that feeds you? Foolish. "Just....wait."

He said with a sly grin.

She grinned, sharp teeth revealed behind the pull of her lip.

"Only half? Now aint that a insult." She dropped the rope. The door dropped mutely back into the door.

"Rooster," she teased, using the entirely wrong word there and blind of it. She brushed past him, seeing herself back onto the soft sand of the beach. She caste a shadow over her eyes with her hand and whistled at the sight of the ship moored in the distance, falling absorbed in a thought.

"...Whatchu say yer name was again?" Came the afterthought.

• Yay
"The Golden Sparrow." Ayman said the name with none of the admiration that one might expect from the crew of such a ship.

The Sparrow was not exactly massive, but large enough when it came to a pirate ship. Most would classify it as a Frigate. As far as he knew it had once been in the service of the Vel Anir. How the good Captain had acquired it Aymen had absolutely no idea, but he suspected the man had always commanded the vessel.

Whether that meant he had turned privateer or simply stolen the vessel...well, the Captain was not too talkative. Especially when it came to him.

"Sparrow for short." He continued. "She's nice enough, I suppose."

• Yay
Reactions: Kiha
"S'ppose? What's S'uppose?" She mulled, observing the rest of the crew starting turns loading up. She felt the Captian's gaze land heavily on her-- another treasure worth dragging aboard, and she abruptly wondered if he intended to let her go at all.

Of course he would. He aint stupid.

"Yer captain aint got rocks for head, I hope. Be a-" her brows furrowed, the common words she wanted not coming to mind. And she had studied for this, dammit.

"Aw, fuck. I'll just drown you all," she grumped, hitching up the stolen silk she had wrapped around her waist like a skirt and trodding towards the row boat and their good ole captain.

• Yay
The woman was grumbling to herself, something that unsettled Ayman somewhat. The idea of a crazy person on board the ship was bad enough, but a crazy witch that could drown them all? Well that was about as unsettling as a rock falling from the sky and making a hole in your head.

Lips thinned at the thought, though he wasn't about to voice them any time soon.

Better to stay quiet and let luck carry him through this, it always did. His fingers gently rolled the dice in his pocket, a breath softly filling his lungs as he followed after the witch towards the rowboat. The Captain glanced at him of course, but Ayman simply kept his head down and made his way onto the boat without so much as a word.

Best not to draw attention.

Within just a few moment the boat was pulled alongside the Sparrow and everyone began to clamber back up onto the ship. As soon as his feet hit the deck Ayman looked around, watching as the Captain called to the First Mate and the two began to whisper between one another.

A plan was forming there, he'd have to find out what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.