Completed The Skvader

"There is no pain." He told her. "Simply a newfound sensation."

Though it did not last long.

A whisper touched his ear, and Kol's shoulders slumped slightly as he found the speaking voice crawling into his mind once more.

"A succinct description, though one twisted by fables and fear." Probably not a welcome statement about Brenna's father, but Kol did not exactly know how else to rebuke the words.

"Among my people it is believed that we were once Nordenfiir." So the Dark Gods had told him. "A thousand years ago, maybe more the first of our tribe broke away. We swore an oath to the Gods we found in the Lost Isles."

He reached up and absently scratched his face. "The oath was a bargain of sorts. We lost our Svalen, and in return were granted a boon."

For a second he mused, then continued.

"It is different for us all. Some like me gain magics, some sight beyond sight, and others can still shift." Though it was a dark mockery of the form Brenna and her Kin could take.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Brenna
"My father always preferred stories to history," Brenna mused. His daughter enjoyed a good myth but she preferred to know the truth of a situation. Relying on myths as information was a dangerous game. She listened quietly as she followed the patterns on his arms curiously. Sometimes they looked random but other times like it was a pattern, deliberate.

"It... makes sense," the young girl nodded. There was no judgement but the concern she expressed earlier was a shadow in her gaze. "As long as it doesn't hurt, I guess. If our people want to learn magic they have to travel to sacred sites to get their gifts. There are a few I know who have done such a journey and none of them have similar gifts, they all seem to suit their needs." Seeming to remember herself she dropped his hand and folded them back into her lap apologetically.

"I'm sorry, it's a habit to rely on my other senses more."

• Sip
Reactions: Kol
Kol perked an eyebrow for a moment. He had known magic was scarce here, but the idea that Shamans were wandering to sacred sites made him question things for a moment.

Had the Dark Gods reached his cousins? No. He did not think so. There was too much fear here, too many of the stories that Brenna had mentioned. The process was similar, and if anything Brenna's words offered credence to what the whispers had told him.

It was odd knowing they had told him the full truth. At least a version of it.

"It is alright." He said with a wave of his hand.

"You have taught me more than one thing today." Kol said with a smile. "You should be pleased."

He noticed briefly one of the grins floating behind the girl and wondered when it had gotten there.

• Sip
Brenna paused as if making sure it were not a jibe before laughing and turning briefly to the meat over the fire, turning it slightly more. It was a slow waiting game to roast over an open fire but she didn't mind. It usually gave her something to do whilst she watched the sun dip and the moon raise. It was a peaceful chore.

"I am glad one of my students appreciates learning things," she glanced to him briefly, then checked the meat once more before returning her full attention to him. "In Faarin I help teach the cubs. I do not think they enjoy my lessons as much, Perhaps I should bring you to our next show and tell as a rare example of someone who enjoys learning. It might inspire them." she couldn't keep the laughter from her eyes.

• Popcorn
He frowned.

"I do not think this would be a good idea." Humor was not exactly something commonly found in the Lost Isles. A joke might be someone getting their head bashed into a wall, other than that...laughter was sparse.

A side-effect of the harsh landscapes that they had been cursed with. Ironic, given the Dark Gods propensity for laughter.

Something Kol had always found rather odd. "I am not welcome in most places here."

One might argue for good reason.

"Do not let this meeting fool you." He told the young woman. "Most of my people are not as rational as I."

The grin behind Brenna seemed to split into laughter.

Brenna couldn't help but laugh again at his expression.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she wiped a slight tear from her eye. "You just had the same expression on your face as my brother did when I asked him the same thing." His comment on not being welcome sobered the mood and she considered it along with his last sentiment about his own people.

"If it is any consolation my people are not like me either. If you had run into someone else from Faarin they would have probably attacked you and asked questions later. The capital is slightly more accepting of outsiders but my home are particularly mistrusting." A slight shrug.

"But when you have something like your hearing taken you appreciate others who are on the outside more. In this fire you are most welcome to be yourself, Kol. I promise I won't tell anyone if you laugh or crack a smile." She crossed her heart with a smile.

• Popcorn
It sat oddly well with him that his Southern Cousins had not fallen so far as to become utterly peaceful. It was strangely heartening in a way to know that such things had not passed by his own knowledge.

"Kindness is rare. A fact that you should be proud of." Oddly enough Kol was being genuine in that statement.

He saw Kindness not as a weakness, but as another path. It was wildly different than the one he had chosen, but that did not make it any less viable. Kol knew this, he was simply committed to the Dark Gods, and their way was not one of Kindness.

Kol slowly began to stand once again, his words echoing on her mind. "I believe it is time for me to go, Brenna, Daughter of Ardull."

• Popcorn
There was clear disappoint on Brenna's face when he rose to leave.

"It's very late... you're more than welcome to stay if you want and leave in the morning?" there was a hint of hope to her voice. It was partly out of selfish reasons as well as enjoying his company - when he left she would stop being able to hear again. But truly she enjoyed his company. Even though she had come out here to have time to herself she had been pleasantly surprised and had enjoyed the company of a stranger. Awkwardly she got up too.

"At least take some food for the road," she motioned towards the nearly done food.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Aila
He shook his head. "No, I must go."

Staying was unfortunately not an option, but he had never planned to wait even this long. The journey could not wait, and sleep was not his way.

"I would not take your food." Kol said with a shake of his head. "There is a deer waiting for me, and that will be enough."

He frowned for a moment. "I am sorry to once again take the sound from your ears, but the magic will last a short while longer, half an hour perhaps. Enjoy it, as you can."

• Popcorn
Brenna sighed, he seemed set and there was no other way to really tempt him into staying. Pausing for a moment she then undid one of the woven bracelets she wore around her wrist and, gently taking his hand, she tied it around his own.

"So you can carry a little kindness on your travels with you. And... as a thank you for letting me hear for a little bit. I don't think I can quite explain what a gift this has been to me."

She hesitated a moment then leaned forward and kissed him on his scarred cheek.

"Be safe, Kol."

• Popcorn