Letters The Nights In Winter

Roleplay dedicated to correspondence type roleplays such as letters.
Character Biography
Link
Dearest brother, please remember that I have never asked much from you, but this favour is of the utmost importance!

I was utterly charmed by your friend, and he reminded me of home. At first, I believed myself to be homesick but alas, it is the thought of missing the company of the Lord you are such close friends with.

I beg of you, Saang, to forward my accompanying letter to your friend. You do not want to get in the way of your sister's happiness, do you not?

Love and kindness,

Seryn

Dear Paetr,

I do hope my letter finds you well and that your spirits have not fallen too low since the Autumn Court's hunt.

My writing to you comes at a time where I have reflected on our meeting, and how charming and kind you were. You are like my brother in that regard, a truly grand member of the Night Court!

As a token of what turned to a lovely evening of brief introduction, I hope the handkerchief I have made for you and embroidered with your personal name is a promise thag we may see each other again. I admit, I am not skilled at capturing an equine shape but I do recall you saying you loved horses.

Your's in thoughtful mind,

Seryn Lusce.

Paetr

"Look at that! She remembers I like horses," Paetr said to his advisors. He was grinning like a child, holding up the hankerchief.

It had been a private, personal note. However, in matters that merged both politics and amorous adventure, it was important to include his closest council.

"I am sure, my Lord, she was paying close attention when you described how much you enjoyed cutting down mortals from the back of a horse."

"Well of course I do," Paetr replied. "Fucking brilliant sport," he mumbled as he brought quill to paper.

My dearest Saang,

I received your sisters letter and must confess that it truly touched my heart. I enclose a response that is for her eyes only. As you can imagine, it is guarded by a minor curse should any buy Seryn lay eyes upon it.

Please consider this letter a formal declaration of my intentions to court Seryn Lusce.

Warmest Regards,

Petyr

Dearest Seryn,

Your letter found me well. Would that I had been low, it would have raised my spirits swiftly.

Since that day I have thought of little but

"My lord?"

"What? I am writing!"

"As Seryn Lusce is worthy of your courting, do you think it is quite appropriate to use quite so many words describing how you would...well...that?"

"You think I should spend one less page describing how I would..."

"No my Lord, I would perhaps advise that...you might want to consider not writing about that at all."

"But how will she know that I am worth marrying if she does not know that I will..."

"My lord, your reputation stands alone. Maybe you should spend this time describing how you feel?"

"I feel...as if I would very much like to use my tongue to..."

"Paetr."
"Fine! Fine!"

Dearest Seryn,

Your letter found me well. Would that I had been low, it would have raised my spirits swiftly.
Since that day you have occupied so many of my waking thoughts. I was even thinking of our first meeting when I crushed a scouting force of Tulok's cwn that threatened my lands.
To be compared in standing to your brother is quite the compliment. But the sight of your beauty put to shame all moments that had come before, all my great achievements a distant memory for those brief minutes.
I will hold your gift close and must contain my anticipation before another meeting. It is hard to contain my feelings when I know you are so far away from my touch.

I have enclosed a small token. A silver coin, to which I have attached but a small glamour. Hold it close to your chest and it will summon my likeness to your mind.
Paetr

My dear Paetr,

You above all of my friends know that I think most highly and fondly of you and your family. It would be my delight to send your intentions along to my father, upon which it is his shoulders that rest the final word of Lusce betrothals.

His response I expect will be forthcoming, as he is eager to find the best placements and choices for my dear sisters, of whom sweet Seryn is a great treasure indeed.

Well wishes, please send my regards to your family.

Saang

Paetr

"Move, Saetia!" Seryn called out, rushing past her sister as she began to descend the stairs. She did not dare look back to see if she made her sister stumble, her tourmaline eyes honed in onto the delivery man as she made her descent. Seryn was starved for news, from Saang, from Paetr, from mother, anyone if it mentioned her and the Night Court Lord she had become enamoured with.

"Nothing today, Lady Lusce." He promptly informed her.

Seryn unceremoniously plucked a letter with Saang's name on it and held it out to the fae. "Then I insist you get this to my brother with haste!"

SAANG

Must you keep your sister waiting for news? What did Father say? Has Paetr written to you any further than his last letter?

Should I write to father?

Oh, please, Saang! Pity your sister in the feelings her heart has conjured in reflecting on that most fateful night! Dearest brother, his letter to me was the sweetest letter a woman could own!

Remind our father that I am doing this family proud by being matched with a Lord of the Night Court!

PLEASE SAANG!

Seryn

Saang Lusce

My sweet sister,

Your heart falls faster than the leaves of autumn and such things of proper love take time. I urge you to find patience with these feelings of yours, and lean not upon them so fully that should favor not come, you do not break upon landing.

My considerable efforts and threat of life and limb to ensure the safety and well being of all my sisters must not be forgotten for the throes of fancy from a single meeting. Our father will provide an answer when he so deigns it right, and will not look upon you favorably for pleading - for now his attention is quite caught up in the war. As are mine and Lord Paetr's.

It is my hope that the coming moons rise over more peaceful times for us here in the lands of the Night Court, but this will not come without much bloodshed, violence, and sacrifice. Take comfort, dear Seryn, in the safety of your new home and life. Much opportunity awaits you there, you brother hopes you do not squander it so readily. It is the happiness of my sisters that I bleed for every single day.

With deepest love,
Saang

Screenshot_20231030_192554_Samsung Notes.jpg

(The otherwise perfectly written note came with a hasty scrawl at the top)

Dear Seryn,

As I have not heard from you in a short time and you have occupied so many of my thoughts I can not bring myself to apologise for writing again.

With this letter you will find a pressed Cerulean Bitterlark. It is a flower found only on the rocky slopes of wester Lorris, beyond the glaciers.

Its unique beauty reminded me of you. Also, if you grind it down it is quite a potent and undetectable poison she you have need to dispose of any who cross you.

As I write this I realise I should have put a warning at the top of this letter. There. Done.

Do not handle the Bitterlark with your bare hands. It would blister your magnificent skin.

Thinking of you only,

Paetr

Dearest Saang,

Forgive my impatience, I do not know where it has come from. It is so foreign for me to experience such insistence, and that perhaps for the first time I have a wanting I cannot obtain myself at my leisure.

I understand there is much going on with the war, but being so far from home has left us all in the dark of news from the front. I have sent you a new leather belt, embroidered by yours truly. Hoping you find use for it and reminded of my love for you, as I cannot thank you enough for the sacrifices you make for each of your sisters.

P.S. Brother, can you pass along my note and gift to Paetr? And please do write of his character in your reply. I must hang on to something to wish you both well as you face the war.

Your most loving and patient,

 Seryn

Lovely Paetr,

Your gift both puzzles and perplexes me but I have treasured it most. It is now safely in a glass box, and I do hope I never have need of it's poisonous values. To see it whole gives me hope that I will see you again one day soon, and that perhaps you will have another unique flower for me.

I have another treasure for you, two if we are to be truthful with one another. To accompany my letter, I have made you a cushion in the finest velvet I could buy here in the Winter Court. The colour reminded me of your eyes, and to keep you in my thoughts I have kept a few ribbons of the fabric to wear in my hair. Signe says the colour does not suit me but... I do miss your company.

And here I am, blushing! The cushion says With Love, From the Winter Court when I should of left it blank! How forward of me, but I have always believed to not hide true feelings. It is rare of me, but I have grown mad with impatience...

And my last gift, a small portrait of me. I thought it would be a great haunting for you, and that you should not forget my face while we are in great distance of each other.

I have not forgotten you!

With sweet thoughts,

Seryn Lusce

Paetr
Saang Lusce

Dear Seryn,

You are quite right to hope never to need the poison of the flower. When someone offends you it is right and proper to face up to them and stab them right through the heart.

However, when someone has been a complete scrotum a poisoning is all they deserve. Should anyone act in such a way to deserve that, I would of course run across the continents to deal with them myself.

I have plenty of time to write today and to simply enjoy the gifts you sent. The portrait will help me hold the image of you in my thoughts, ever present since we met. It will keep me warm on the coldest nights.

You see, dearest Seryn, our campaign is going well. So well that my leaders feel that they need some glory for themselves. Because of this I have agreed to step out of their planning meetings for the battle ahead. It is only right and noble that I allow some of them to step out of my shadow, long as it is cast.

I cannot provide more than words from out here. Only the assurance that when the rivers melt again and we consolidate out position that I will return. I will offer you a most excellent gift, that will quite steal the air from your lungs.

Yours,

In love,

Petyr

Seryn Lusce

In love!
Oh, how Seryn's heart fluttered reading those words! She had snuck out to the garden, breathing in the aromatic air filled with the flowers that her mother had sent to remind them of their garden in the Night Court. So in love in return that she did not notice the different spelling of his name. Why would she notice when his scrawling lettering was proof enough who was writing to her!

Paetr,
I am learning a new patience, one that I am afraid compels me to burn every inch of ice that keeps us separate from one another.

This correspondence between us is enough to keep me at bay, and I believe Saang will be grateful that I have behaved and not give him reason to doubt anything.

I cannot wait to see you again. Cannot wait to have another moment with you to remember and reflect on whenever I miss you terribly. I have not told any of my sisters that I have written to you... perhaps you would understand that I would be under a barrage of questions by their curious minds, and that for me especially, a suitor that passed the expectations of our darling brother is a marvel.

You are my secret for now.

Do you have any siblings, Paetr? I daresay I cannot recall if you do...

Impatiently patient,

Seryn

Paetr

• Popcorn
Reactions: Saang Lusce