Private Tales The Long Search

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Sung Lin

Character Biography
Link
It was a dim evening, the sky was grey, and clouds dimmed it further than normal. Sung Lin, or just Lin, entered the foreign tavern with a purpose, but uncertainly. She didn’t know these people, she had no friends, no contacts and no resources, only a string of gold to offer for a helper to assist her in her search. She approached a man, hooded, and with the look of a mercenary. Sitting across from him, “hello. I require some assistance for a journey, and you look like you would know where I might find such help.”

• Yay
Reactions: Jexlt Warren
Sung Lin

Jexlt sat in the tavern, wearing his usual garb with his hood up and over his head and face. He sat at a table, with a drink sitting on the table. Every now and then, he would pick it and and take a small sip of it. He looked around the tavern, watching the other people come in and out. It was fairly lively within the tavern, with a small group of musicians playing a tune in a corner while the patrons drank away, having good times with their buddies.

Why was Jexlt here? Well, he really goes wherever. Going from town to town, providing his services to whomever requested it. That's the thing about being a freelancer, you can really go wherever you want. Now, he was just sitting here in this tavern, just relaxing, and thinking about what he would do for his next job.

Then, a woman walked into the tavern. Jexlt noticed her walk in, and saw her look at him and walked over to him. She sat down at the table, across from him. She told him how she required assistance, and how he looked like he would know where she could find said help. Really? He looked like that? "So you're really just going off of looks? I could be anyone, and looks can often be deceiving." He said with a smile. Then, he sighed. "Well, you are correct. Hi, I'm Jexlt Warren, freelancer, and I can help you with this journey." He introduced himself. "So, what kind of assistance are we talking about here? What kind of journey is this?" He asked her.

“I’m looking for someone, someone whom I haven’t seen in many long years. I don’t know where he is, and worse, I don’t know this continent, it’s people or places, so I need someone who can help me in as many ways as possible. I’m afraid that the gold I have to offer is not the same as your standard currency, but it isn’t still gold. So, name your price, and we will see if we can come to an agreement.

• Yay
Sung Lin

Jexlt listened to her. So, she doesn't really know this continent, huh? Alright. And she wanted someone to help in as many ways possible. Well, hearing her predicament, Jexlt could help in many ways. Then it came to the matter of payment. She explained that she did not have the same as the standard currency. That was fine with Jexlt, many places had different currencies, and seeing as how Jexlt traveled a lot, it could come in handy. Besides, he had just finished a job, one that paid a large amount of money, too. He wasn't really searching for money right now. "Alright, I will help you in your journey. I will come with you, helping you search for this someone. Don't worry about payment, I'm not concerned with that. Consider this job to be free of charge. I will help you in any way possible I can, and to the best of my abilities. Sound good to you?" He told her.

"That does indeed sound good to me. I must say that I am relieved. I had thought that I would spend months just looking for someone who would be willing to assist me for foreign currency, and here I've found a helper who is willing to travel with me free of charge. I cannot express the depth of my gratitude good sir, I am staying the night in this tavern, we can start our quest in the morning. Meet me outside the tavern tomorrow, then we may begin our search."

Sung Lin

Jexlt nodded. "Yeah, I guess you got lucky meeting me here." He said. "Alright, then we start tomorrow." He told her. Jexlt stood up. He paid the bartender a small tip. "Might I ask what your name is, Miss?" He asked.

"Call me Lin." She says as she approaches the innkeeper to arrange for a room. She would be waiting outside of the tavern after the dawn broke over the city.

Sung Lin

"Alright then, Lin, we'll get started tomorrow." Jexlt nodded and walked out of the tavern. He walked down the streets, through the crowds. He had a room he had rented out in a cheaper place than the tavern. He entered a small building, and went into his room. He shut the door behind him. He pulled back his hood. It was small, but it had all the necessities. He changed out of his clothes into casual wear. He sat down on the bed. Well, he guessed he was going out tomorrow, on a journey to find someone Lin hadn't seen for a long time. How would she even know where this person is? Would they even find them? Still, Jex could tell that this journey would mean a lot to her, emotionally. He could just tell; she seemed really desperate to find this person. He laid down, and went to sleep.

He woke up the next day, light barely filtering in. It was early, the sun had just barely risen. He sat up. Well, it was time. He got dressed back into his robes and cloak, and grabbed his weapons. He walked out of the room, and out into the street. The townspeople were just starting to get up, moving around, getting ready for the next day. He walked down the street, towards the tavern. He stopped in front of the tavern, waiting for the woman.

Waiting proved to be unnecessary, she had been awake for about half an hour, checking all of her gear. Her armour, which was clearly foreign, her sword, a straight and narrow double edged weapon likely used in a more refined martial art, her bow, a short but very powerful bow and her provisions. She had nothing more than a small cookpot for preparing meals, plus a wooden spoon, what food she had with her was stuffed into a large pouch on her belt, it looked like no more that a day's worth of food could fit in there, but there was a secret to it. Looking up as he approached she stood up, her sword sheathed and her bow was unstrung which left it in a tight curl rather than a bow shaped or straight stick.

"Good morning sir Warren, it is good to see you up so early. Are you ready to depart? Or do you have business to conclude first?"

• Yay
Sung Lin

Jexlt turned to her. She asked if they were ready to go. Jex thought over it for a second, then nodded. "Yep, all good to go. Also, call me Jexlt, or just Jex, for short. Sir Warren just sounds weird to me, I've been called that way too many times in the past." He told her.

"So, do you have any idea where to start searching for this person?" Jexlt asked her.

“The first thing to follow would be rumors of an easterner with a strange polearm. My brother Chei is the only one of my siblings to use Ji. It will appear to be a spear with two crescent shaped axe blades on opposite sides. He either wears his armour or his tigerskin vest and bracers of white. He has always been an eager helper, but he would also be in need of coin, so he would either be a mercenary, in which case he'd be fairly well known, or in the service of some lord or lady as either a personal bodyguard or a local captain of the guard by now. He shouldn't be too difficult to find, he isn't exactly a subtle man."

Sung Lin

Jexlt nodded. "Alright, we could head out and go to a big city, like Alliria, Vel Anir, or Elbion, as word can spread quickly there, through merchants and other travelers. How do you suggest we start?" He asked her. He decided to let Lin lead this one, as she was searching for her brother, after all.

“I think that’s y know more than I. We can speak with people who would meet travelers. Merchants and innkeepers are likely our best bet. We can also look over bounty records. He would fight for coin if he needed to, so if bounties are recorded that would be a good place to start. But I will need you to show me the way, I’ll pay attention to where we are going, but I don’t have a map.

Sung Lin

Jexlt nodded. "Yes, that's a good idea. I would recommend we head to Elbion, then. It's a large merchant and trading city. Someone must have seen your guy. It's west of here, but I know the way. You good to go?" He asked her.

"I am indeed ready to go. Lead the way good sir. Time waits for noone." She says cheerfully as she stands ready to make the journey.

Sung Lin

"Alright, let's head out then." He nodded. He then started walking down the streets through the now-forming crowds. He moved towards the outskirts of the settlement. They arrived at the edge of the settlement, and Jex kept on going, into the wild, headed west for Elbion. They would have a long journey ahead of them but they would go none the less. And so, Jexlt headed out into the wilderness.

Following her new companion. She found herself outside of the city walls, and into the wildlands outside of the strangely constructed city. Following the hooded man, she observed everything she could see. “So what exactly is this place?”

Sung Lin

Jexlt turned his head towards her. "This is Alliria. We're on the continent of Liadain right now. We're head west, about to cross the Aberresai Savannah. Does that answer your question?" He told her. She was strange, she didn't seem to know much about where they were. They continued walking down the path.

“It gives me names, but I know nothing further than what you have told me. I arrived not two days ago.” She tells him. “I apologize for any inconvenience.”

Sung Lin

"Nah, it's fine, you're just curious about this new place." He told her. "So, what do you want to know about?" He asked her. She was definitely odd, coming from a different place and knowing nothing about this place.

“Tell me about the people and cultures? I have noticed some people with pointy ears, and others who are a great deal shorter than everyone else.”

Sung Lin

"Well, there is us, humans. Our culture varies from place to place, with different places having different cultures. There are the elves, the ones with pointy ears. There are the dwarves, the very short ones. And there are tons of more species and people here. I've seen human-sized, sentient bees, I've seen Rous, which are large man-sized sentient rats, I've seen giants, monsters, undead, I've seen so much, and yet there is still so much I haven't seen." He told her.

Sung Lin

Jexlt shrugged. "Sure. There are many types of elves, depending on where they are from. There can be many large differences between the elves' tribes, physically and culturally. Most tribes of the elves all have their own respective cultures and beliefs. Does that answer your question?"

“Well enough. Tell me about yourself. I make it a point to know my companions. Where are you from? What are your skills? What is your overall profession? Which caste were you born into?”