Private Tales The First City

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Teriteqas

Character Biography
Link
Abtatu's lessons were learned. The desert had finished its teachings for now. The path was clear and opened. Abtatu willed the wandering child to seek out knowledge from afar for his people. They needed to know. New lessons needed to be taught back home.

Teriteqas' lone journey of forty years in the desert had come to an end. He was ragged and worn as his clothing, leathers, and weapons. Both needed time to recover and renew themselves. What he had learned was he needed to travel apart from his tribe longer and find lessons from the outside to take home. Abtatu made this new path for him and his people. He would be the original walker, the original seeker. But it was Abtatu's will that would guide him and now his own desires. This was something he had come to learn thanks to the lesson the Windwalker, Fieravene , had taught him shortly after his journey had began. Abtatu was wisdom itself and shown him the answer in a way he would not understand until now.

Where Teriteqas' feet had taken him was to this strange place called Manaan. All of the signs had lead him here. The wind blew its way. The clouds drifted favorable while he moved towards it and ominously when he did not. He had stopped keeping track of days and weeks and months and years long ago. All he knew was in its proper time he found himself before this strange and new place.

Walking through the streets for the sand elf was a harrowing experience. His tribe was the largest group of people he had ever been around and they were dwarfed by this place. He tried to put distance between him and others. He kept his body covered and as much of his face wrapped as he could. But it was impossible to avoid being bumped into by others. Every time he felt he might suddenly come under attack. He felt his sleeping jerboa snuggled in their places under his clothing were in danger. But they simply sneered at him while offering harsh words. He feared he might have been cursed by some of them. This would require he perform cleansing rituals and pray Abtatu took mercy on him.

Aimless and overwhelmed the sand elf moved through the crowds of Manaan. He was not but a resurrection plant curled in upon itself as it bounced, tumbled, and trundled along not knowing where it might end up or what might happen to it.

• Yay
Reactions: Janan Hanif
Taking an afternoon stroll with her assistant and aid Raha by her side, and by her other side two tabby cats walked daintily. It was as beautiful a day as any other in Maraan. The bustling crowds full of life were so natural to Janan that their presence has become a comfort. She leaned a bit on Raha, her legs needing a bit of assistance here and there.

While the walk was mostly silent Raha and Janan shared a few words if the noticed a that a new store had settled in a building. In a moment one of the cats let out a noticeable mew, just as a figure all warped up stumbled into the two ladies. Raha the ever vigilant held him by the shoulder as he bumped into her. Pickpockets like to bump into people like this, but this one was keeping their hands to themselves.

"Sir?" Raha talked in the common tongue, "What is it with you?"

But the figure reminded Janan of some very old memories. And as she tried to peer behind the wrappings she felt a bit generous and spoke to the man in abtati, "Would you like a place to rest from the crowd?"

• Yay
Reactions: Teriteqas
Aimless Teriteqas wandered. Where the desert had been sand and wind and sun the city was people and people and people. He did not like it. Far too many were in such a small place. It was like turning over a stone to find innumerable beetles at an oasis. How did they live with so little space? How could they breath with so little wind able to blow in their face?

So lost in these thoughts was he that Teriteqas did not even notice when he had run into another. It was a pair. A younger and older woman. The younger began to speak to him in the common tongue, but he ignored it. Another stranger from a foreign place. But then the older spoke to him in his people's tongue. He understood both of them perfectly but it would be to the one who knew and was of Abtatu's people that he chose to speak.

"In the shade of stone and palm reprieve from the wind may be found. In such a way may a believer find sanctuary in the teachings of Abtatu." Teriteqas near whispered out to the woman in the abtati tongue. "Yes I would."

Janan Hanif

The feline companions were sniffing at the man. And the older woman smiled at his reply. It would be hard to say that it was a kind smile. But it definetly wasn't malicious.

"Raha, we have a desert wanderer here. Please be gentle with him," and Raha let go of his shoulder while Janan more gently took his hand and spoke to the man again, "Follow me. It may nit be under palm trees, but I have a nice home under stone."

She lead him to a side alley, which was quickly much less crowded than the main street. Raha still by Janan's side kept glancing at the wanderer suspiciously.

Teriteqas

• Yay
The sand elf shooed away the cats that clearly saw his little family as treats. The older woman's words were kind as was her actions. But that did not mean she could be completely trusted. An Abtati who settled in a city was no Abtati at all. It was the will of Abtatu that they roam the sands and avoid establishing too permanent a place to live. They would miss the lessons if they did.

While this woman may not follow the ways and teaching of the Nafas, Teriteqas would show her no ill will. She was here by the will of Abtatu. There was a lesson here to be had and she was showing kindness. It was best to trust he was on the right path and follow it to its end. Strangers and outsiders were as often friends as they were enemies as well.

Down the alley Teriteqas followed the strange older woman. The one she had called Raha was eyeing him like a sand hawk that had found its prey. She would find no ease in this hunt, if she should decide to dive. But until then his attention darted from strange wall covered in mud to strange wall covered in mud. It reminded him of the seasonal homes his tribe wandered between according to the season. But where those walls were high enough to allow living to take place these rose high into the sky. Where they attempting to build a mountain? That would be unwise and require more resources than was worth it. Better they put that energy into more productive things, such as praising Abtatu and watching for signs.

Janan Hanif

• Yay
The streets were winding and confusing to an outsider. For a moment they crossed another big open street, just to enter another alley on the other side. The pace they walked at was slow enough for the older woman to not lose her breath. It seems that somewhere in these streets, of tall houses coloured just by hanging plants or fabrics, one or two cats joined or left.

In one of the streets the aide opened a door and let in first the elder lady and then the stranger before stepping in herself. The door had led to a small atrium. Lattice work with hardy viny plants gave it shade. And a small water feature surrounded by flowering plants gave it a cool air. Some cats laying in the shadiest spot purred gently without giving attention to who entered.

Janan sat down at a bench next to a small table.
"Join me," she said as she took down her headscarf, "Would you like a drink?"

Teriteqas

• Yay
Plants hung from the sky. Mud covered stone. Cloth wasted as a decoration with no other purpose.

Teriteqas did not understand and did not like cities so far. Winding, twisting roads of uneven sizes made up everything. All were packed in by the city and the people themselves. It was unnatural. It did not breath. It was unnerving.

The sand elf said little as he followed the old woman. His eyes went everywhere as he closed in on himself more and more. The kindness had done little to bring life back to this tumbling plant. Tighter and tighter he felt reigned in. Surely it was a trap. Something horrible was ahead but he could not escape. The woman in front was old but seemed to have power over cats. Surely a sign of her status over him. The one behind was younger and always had eyes upon him. He could not make a movement without it being reacted to. He had become a jerboa trapped within its den.

Eventually the wandering stopped. A doorway was opened. Teriteqas was forced inside. What he experienced was similar to how he felt every time he had come across a new oasis within the dunes. Water, wind, and shade. The Abtati was finally freed, if only partly, from the closed cluster of the city at large.

The older woman had gone to a table and sat down. She had instructed him to sit. He was a guest within her home and she as the host was offering to him freely. Their customs demanded he obey. Hesitantly at first eventually he began to move, but never once let down his guard. He did not trust these strangers. They could still prove to be dangerous.

At the table the young elf removed what of his equipment could not reliably fit or allow him to sit. He made sure once he was done to be as far away as was possible. No longer standing he pulled down the wrap covering his face, and only the part covering his face, down to reveal his tattoo and scar. With a respectful and formal bow Teriteqas said in the Abtati tongue, "Yes. I would like a drink."

Janan Hanif

• Yay
"Oh my, how polite you are," The elder sand elf replied in Abtati as well, and seemed to talk only in this tongue in her home as she continued to do so when addressing her assistant, "Raha, could you get us some minted water? the younger woman nodded and headed through another door in the atrium. The elder one sat comfortably at the bench and looked at her guest, "I am Janan Hanif Jawdat Al-Buhayra. And who are you dear guest? I can't seem to recall a tribe that would use such markings like yours."

During the talk Raha had returned with two cups and a jug of water with the refreshing smell of mint. She brought them, but Janan was the one to to serve it and hand it to Teriteqas.

Teriteqas

• Yay
The older one was being a good host. It was leaving Teriteqas with little complaint. He did not like it. How was he to escape this trap of generosity if she was being and thoughtful? Abtatu truly was testing him this day. He just nodded to her graciously and kept silent. Perhaps that would be enough to show he would not be convinced that city ways had purpose. For they and the cities themselves did not.

The sand elf would have frowned if he was not already when the older one named herself and asked for his tribe's name. A miscalculation on his part. He did not think a city dweller would ever do such a thing. He could have frowned more but doing so might be rude and as a guest with a generous host he could not be rude.

"Teriteqas of the Nafas."

It was all Janan Hanif would get from him. Teriteqas took the cup from her and put it up to his lips. Instead of drinking he just mimed out that he was. It was to be respectful of the offer but politely also avoid taking part in it fully. Never anyone mind he had agreed to be a guest for this woman who was very much being a proper hostess.

• Yay
Only a small moment passed. Janan had noticed that he had only mimiced drinking. But it was just such a wonderful day. The light that shone into the atrium in between the trellis played on the floor. Some cats in a corner moving out of the shade to sunbathe in its shine. Janan was still happy. Seeing such a wanderer of the deserts, it reminded her of her own younger years.

She took a sip of the water, "You remind me of myself. I'm sure we are very different. But at one point I walked through the great desert almost all alone," she had a warm smile and pet the head of a younger cat that passed by, "Almost, their great ancestor kept me company, became my new family," she sat up straight again and looked at the boy with a smile that might have been the source of some of her wrinkles, "You also have your own small family, do not fear, mine will not touch yours."

The cats payed them no attention, in a corner of the atrium near the cool of the flowing water the assistant played with the younger cat. Janan watched the two, she thought of poems she was taught when she was still part of her home tribe. A peaceful life is peaceful indeed.

Teriteqas

• Yay
Niceties and pleasantries. Teriteqas did not like them. Wasted breath and pointless words. The old one, Janan, compared herself to him. She said she too walked the desert alone. Foolishness. His journey was not alone. Abtatu was always with him. He held firm to his beliefs and his creator provided.

The jerboa were not to keep him from getting too lonely. They were gifts from Abtatu. Little furry reminders of the shortness of life and to keep him company.

Teriteqas declined to speak back to his hostess. She had offered water, named herself, and made pleasant words. She had fulfilled her role. He had fulfilled his when he responded to the offers of water and her name. More would have been wasting both their times.

A little thought crossed his mind. This woman wanted something from him. It was why she was playing nice. But what could she want? She was an older woman and he a younger man....

Was this woman after his nightly company?

The sand elf narrowed his eyes at his hostess and stared at her deeply.

Janan Hanif

Janan took a final sip of her drink and decided to recite one of the oldest poems she knew.

"I stood at the ruins of my beloved past,
Abtatu in the wind pushed me forth, from this place away.
Abtatu in the ground and water bode me to build with clay.
And in the clay abode I made past and future,
Until Abtatu's wind came calling for me again,
And so my son stood at the ruins of his beloved past"

She put her cup down and stood up with her refined posture and looked at the younger man, the look n her eyes being like that of a mother with a bit of disappointment in her son.

"You just mimicked the act of drinking. But I advise you that you drink it for truth. For Abtatu brought you into my arms for a reason. So take your rest, drink your fill. And then be back on your way," she pointed at his brow, "If you keep staring like that it will stick and you won't be able to smile anymore."

She then moved to the door to her house and whispered something into Raha's ear before turning back to her guest, "Have a nice day. If you require of anything don't be afraid to ask Raha here, she needs practice with her abtati," and so she left.