Private Tales The Broken Crown

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Averey

Priestess
"No, I'm not saying that." Eyes flickered over his shoulder and scanned those that they housed. Those they were to protect. She would make sure everyone staying would retire to their rooms early. Her sisters, she was worried about them. She wanted to protect them as well.

"I don't think these are ordinary bandits. I think they're searching for something."

Ransacking all the other temples to find it.

She wondered if she'd told this stranger too much already. Lips pursed thin. "If you want to patrol the halls tonight I cannot stop you. But there should be no death here." She'd made her wishes clear. If something happened and he was defending...well, that was a different story. But hopefully...goddess willing...that wouldn't happen. Perhaps they wouldn't even come tonight. But Averey had a bad feeling curling at the bottom of her gut.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Alre Castielle

Alre Castielle

Once King
Character Biography
Link
"What would they be searching for?" Was it something that would help him?

Wait...did he just consider stealing from a Temple?

Alre mentally shook his head. Had he really fallen that far? He supposed if it got him the throne he would, but...well there was no guarantee of that so best not to actually even entertain the idea. Lips thinned for a brief moment but he kept pushing.

It was obvious the Priestess didn't want to answer more questions, but he couldn't quite help himself with asking.

"I mean." He frowned. "It might be easier to protect."

He quietly added. "If you don't want violence, then I suggest you get some of these people out of here. At least for a little bit."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Averey

Averey

Priestess
She frowned in his direction.

If it was what she thought it was? It was something very powerful and old. So powerful, it had been distributed among the different temple courts. When brought together...could mean destruction in the wrong hands.

It was clear she would not be telling him what it was.

Somethings were better left unsaid.

"Get them out of here?" Auburn brows rose along her fair skin. "These people don't have anywhere else to go. They were like you." She pointed out quietly. "I'm not sure if they'd be safer on the streets even if we know this temple might become the spot for the next attack."

A breath.

She could see the others wanting to fight like Alre offered and that's what she was afraid of. She didn't want more of them to get hurt. Any of them to get hurt. "Do you know of another place they can stay for the night?" She wondered if he did. He seemed more than the rest that usually needed help. There was something in his jawline. The rigid stiffness in his shoulders. Like he hadn't been born into the streets.

• Popcorn

Alre Castielle

Once King
Character Biography
Link
Alre considered for a moment.

Alliria wasn't exactly his own stomping ground. He had only ended up here because he thought he could find a rich merchant or something of the sort to sponsor a campaign to take back his Kingdom. That of course hadn't happened.

His father hadn't exactly been a popular ruler, and as it turned out most of the Merchants actually preferred to deal with his Uncle.

Bastards. "Another Temple?"

He propositioned. Alre highly doubted that this place was the only Temple in the entire city, and someone else would be willing to take in the refugees. He frowned for a few seconds, and then shrugged his shoulders.

"Better on the streets than dead though, right?" That was what he'd always thought. it was why he'd run. "Does that mean you'll let me help?"

Something at least.

• Sip

Averey

Priestess
Auburn brows furrowed in thought and she sighed.

"Goddess help us," she murmured loud enough so he could hear. "I don't know if they will...whoever they are, will come tonight but...if they do, you can help stand guard. Watch. I need to go alert the other priestesses. Do not...try not to," her teeth clenched, a finger coming to rub at her temple.

"Please try not to kill."

If they did come.

And with a flurry of her long dress, she left him to go talk to the others. Come up with a plan for those seeking refuge within their walls.

• Popcorn

Alre Castielle

Once King
Character Biography
Link
Alre just shrugged in response.

He didn't particularly care one way or another about killing people. It wasn't much of a big deal where he was from. The King and the Royal family were required to carry out any and all executions that they commanded.

This seemed far more justified than any of those had been. "Will do."

He called out to her as she flurried her dress and began to walk away. For a few moments Alre just stood there, a rather happy expression on his face as he lingered. Then slowly he turned on his heel and wandered away.

He had to find his sword, and a good spot to hide.

Averey

Priestess
Hours later, it was getting close to dawn. The night court temple was only now beginning to lose its power. The wards that protected it from mal intent. And Averey was on high alert.

If they came for the book. If they got it...

She wondered if they'd figured out that it took certain priestesses to read the text. To wield its magic. Had they taken others from the summer, sprint, fall temples?

Would they know to take her?

A belt looped around her waist with a small knife on the side. So against what they stood for. But she was also a guardian. A guardian of the book and its magic and power. She would not let them so easily take it. Nor herself. If that's what she suspected was truly happening here.

Light of the fae illuminated the walls, flickering like starlight. She turned the corner to check on the front doors.

Fzzzzzzzt.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG.

The explosion filled the hall, blinking out the fae lights one-by-one nearest her. She instinctively crouched, covering her ears and closing her eyes as another explosion rocked the temple.

What kind of magic were they using?

• Popcorn

Alre Castielle

Once King
Character Biography
Link
Alre had absolutely no idea what sort of magic was being worked here, nor did he particularly care.

The wall collapsed, a woman was thrown half way across the room, and as dust and debris flew into the Temple Alre simply waited. There was a pause, a murky sort of haze rolling through the night air as the fae lights began to flicker out.

Then he saw it.

Alre had no idea what it was, or rather who it was, but he could read the steps of an enemy as well as those of a rat. The way the figure moved, the blade already in it's hand, the slight sheen of armor that he caught beneath the breadth of a black cloak.

That was enough of a sign.

The figured stepped forward over the rubble and across the corpse of a man who had been caught in the explosion. He moved to head further into the Temple, to murder and steal, but he never got the chance.

Alre swept forward. Two steps saw him placed behind the figure, his blade reaching up and then quickly stabbing forward as in one single motion he impaled the man upon his sword. There was a guttural sound as he wrenched his sword free, and then the figure collapsed.

There was a clatter of armor, and then Alre stepped forward to head towards one of the other explosions.

• Scared

Averey

Priestess
Most of the others were staying in their rooms. Thank the goddess. As the dust and smoke cleared, she staggered to her feet. She heard a sharp, female scream down the hall and squinted, her enhanced eyesight picking up on a shadowy figure gripping...Gwen.

"No," she breathed. Her priestess sister from earlier. The girl was supposed to be checking on the others. Not out here. Now. Averey pushed forward, stumbling through the rubble, pointed ears picking up on the conversation.

"......where is it GIRL."

Gwen stammered. "I-I don't know," fear laced her words.

"Liar," a smile behind the male words. "Perhaps I can find another to be more...helpful." He sneered.

"Leave her alone," Averey approached, back straight. Looking every bit in charge as she could muster. Keeping the fear out of her steely mask she donned across her features. "If you release her I will take you where you want to go. If you harm her or anyone else here; you will never get what you're looking for."

The man sneered.

An orc behind him sniffed the air, his eyes glowed. The man dragged Gwen forward, his grip on her arm unrelenting. "Show us first, girl, and we'll see about letting you both go. Otherwise, I'll snap her neck right now."

Averey faced off with him, fingers balling into small fists at her sides.

• Scared

Alre Castielle

Once King
Character Biography
Link
Alre had cut down two more of the odd armored men.

He had absolutely no idea who they were, what their motivations could be, but in the end that didn't really matter to him all that much. They were obstacles, that was it. His fingers tightened on his sword as he heard the echo of voices.

Each of the intruders had died quickly, though not because he was some amazing swordsman. He had trained most of his life, but there were plenty better than he. The reason the fights had been so swift had simply been because he caught them by surprise.

As he approached the voices, Alre intended to the same thing.

Honor was a fools game.

Slowly he stepped around the corner, his gaze flickering past the two men clutching a girl and seeing the Priestess he had spoken to. His lips turned to a scowl in an instant, and he motioned to her with a slight wave.

He just hoped she understood.

• Cry

Averey

Priestess
She didn't know if she did. What was he doing?! Warring feelings twisted in her gut. That blood on his sword. But his very presence. He looked confident and sure. Gwen whimpered as the blade along her neck pricked her skin.

Averey made sure not to look to where Alre was for too long.

Teeth ground in her mouth. "Let her go and I will show you." The man holding Gwen stalked forward, dragging her with him. She was not going to yield on this. And she made sure it showed in her eyes. He looked down at her along his crooked nose and snorted, then pushed the other priestess forward, his fingers snaking around her arm instead as he whipped her around.

"Don't take my generosity for granted," he growled to her. Gwen pressed her palm to where her neck had been bleeding. Just pricked. She gave Averey an unsure look but Averey gave her a subtle nod to go.

Leave. Now.

Back still high, she began walking forward, the man's grip on her arm only tightening. She tried not to growl out or show the pain. She had to wonder what Alre would do and if he'd do it in time.