Quest The Blue Shroud

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Kikwi

Biowlogist
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
It was a cool and foggy morning, and Kikwi kept his thick robes wrapped around him. No longer the brick red he had worn on his journey from home, they were now the regal blues of Elbion College. He had worked very hard to earn them, and he hadn’t worn anything else since he got them (don’t worry, he washed them).

The small wooden wagon creaked and rocked gently on the trail, and more than once he found himself nodding off. His first trip through a portal stone had been quite an experience, and he found himself quite drained from the long voyage thereafter. Luckily, the goat pulling his cart knew to follow the trail, so it didn’t require much input from the reigns that Kikwi held.

The woods were thick here, and even without the fog it was difficult to see too far off the trail. Kikwi didn’t need to, though, there was more than enough to hold his interest right at the edges. He was supposed to have already arrived at his destination, but he had stopped several times to collect samples or make sketches. One of the trunks in the wagon was already filled with speciments in glass vials or pressed between the pages of heavy books.

It was late morning by the time he arrived at the inn. It was relatively large, for being the only building around. While they weren’t on any main trade routes they were at the central location of most of the paths around the area. The hills were steadily getting higher, and the pathfinders had been limited when finding safe passage.

Kikwi pulled his wagon around to the side, doused the lantern, and tied the goat to a hitching post clearly meant for a much larger animal. “Wait here, Beatrice,” he said to his steed, “I’ll make sure they feed you soon.”

And feed her they did. Beatrice had a comfortable stall in the inn’s stables, and Kikwi was given a room on the second story. The College had given him a generous stipend, so his accomodations were quite nice. With help from the inn’s staff, he was able to move all of his supplies into the room for safe keeping.

He was tempted to flop back on the hay-stuffed bed and rest his tiny bones, but a rumbling in his stomach told him otherwise. He hadn’t eaten anything but dried meat and fruits for the past few days, and the smells coming from downstairs were intoxicating.

He made his way downstairs (taking care on the steps) and toddled up to the bar, where he climbed up on a stool. He knew exactly what he wanted. “Rabbit stew, please!” He said cheerfully.

Another patron was sitting next to him, and they turned at his approach. They smiled. “Well now, what brings a traveller such as yourself around here?” They asked. “And from the college, no less,” noting the crest embroidered on the robes.

“I’m doing research.” Kikwi pipped proudly, and he pulled a piece of paper from his pocket and unfolded it. “I’m looking for this mushroom. Have you seen it?” On the paper was a quite detailed drawing of what, at first glance, appeared to be a fairly regular fungus. It was shaped like a toadstool, perhaps a little flatter, and was covered in tiny, black, pinprick spots. Miniature spines seemed to form along the rim, and a note to the side indicated the color as “azure.” All in all, though, it was quite unremarkable.

The patron’s face fell immediately. “I wouldn’t go chasing that, if I were you,” they said, their tone suddenly muted and foreboding.

Kikwi was confused. “Why not? It’s a brand new species, you see. No one has seen it before. It could be useful, and it’s my job to find out.” He had just gotten this job, he wasn’t about to lose it.

They sighed, and seemed to consider their options. “I’ve seen it,” they said finally, and they continued before Kikwi could interject. “Up North of here, where the hills are higher. Didn’t used to be anything up there, but some say a town is there now.”

The patron stood and looked directly into Kikwi’s large eyes. “There’s queer folks up there, and travellers been going missing in those parts. Maybe it’s bandits, maybe the terrain, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. Don’t go chasing that plant.” And with that, they left, striding out of the inn and into the foggy sun.

“...it’s a fungus, actually…” Kikwi muttered to himself as his stew was delivered.

Willis Reede was blessed with luck.

"I win again!" Willis grabbed the coins from an obviously annoyed Sand Elf. Though he was good with names, Willis had a hard time remembering his name. Sand Elf's name was so long that Willis' mind tuned out halfway through. It didn't help that he insisted everyone who was playing that he should be called by his full name and nothing else. Apparently nicknames pisses him off.

Willis just couldn't help himself being so lucky and skilled at Dice. It was as though the Gods were smiling upon him every time he plays. Sometimes Willis wondered if he could give up Monster Hunting and Mercenary work and become a professional gambler traveling around inns and cleaning up drunken idiots of the rest of the coins. He can still fuck tavern waitresses and explore the world then again..... a gambler isn't as a thrilling as hunting monsters who are bigger, faster and stronger than you.

The only thing that a gambler has to worry about are angry people who accuses them of cheating. Like this Sand Elf is doing.

"YOU'RE CHEATING!" The Sand Elf's crusty lips were wettened with his spit. More flecks of spit landed on Willis cheek causing him to frown. "YOU'RE USING LOADED DIE!"

"We're using your dice dumbass," Willis placed the coins in his brown coinpurse. "To be honest take the accusation of cheating as a compliment. It makes my balls feel bigger and motivates me to fleece fuckers like you in a game Ned."

"I've told you!" The Sand Elf got up turning over the table in the process. Willis' coinpurse went flying up in the air but the young man managed to catch it time. "Is to call me by my full name!: Neferneferuaten!"

What is it with Sand Elves and overly long names? One would think that the so called emperor would enforce a rule that prevents names from going beyond three syllables. "Whatever," Willis said causally tossing the coinpurse in his palm. "You're going to continue to play?"

The Sand Elf snorted. "I don't play with the likes of you!" he shouted his accent fading in and out., "I'm done!" and the Elf turned on his heel and left the Inn.

Willis sighed smiling at the gazing crowd. "So," he smirked. "Who's next?"

Medea watched the village from the fog as her hand idly held the trunk of a tree, moss and flowers growing at the touch. This was the village, the one that held what she and her sisters sought. It was a rare fungus, one that could be manipulated rather easily to expel unique magical properties. Its inherent beauty was an added bonus. It would make a wonderful addition to the garden she had been cultivating, and Asuego, in particular, had been seeking it out as a necessary component.

"Sister," she said, turning her gaze over to Asuego 'Susanna', "I believe we have arrived. The fungus should be somewhere near this village, though my divination cannot quite grasp its exact location." The Grove Witch looked over to the inn, musing, "Perhaps the locals have a clue." If they could get past the typical superstition and simple-mindedness that seemed to always permeate small towns just beyond the forest of the coven.

No matter, some morsel of information could still likely be gleaned from them regardless. She gestured for Susanna to come with her as she stepped out from the blanket of fog and moved to the inn with an almost ethereal grace to her movements, fluid and strange, as though her very walking embodied the aspect of rustling nature.

Stepping into the inn, she curled faintly green-tinted fingers around the door as she searched the room. It was rather full, with an assorted collection of people drinking and playing games of chance. One man, in particular, seemed to be rather lucky at them, judging from the proud expression that adorned his face and the disgruntled face of his presumed opponent.

As he gave out an offer for another match, Medea quickly held up a hand to signal her decline. She played few games of chance, and she doubted she had the currency to pay him should she lose even if she did want to.

What did catch her eye, however, was the small creature that sat upon a stool near the bar. It seemed avian in nature, though its robes proved it was far from a mere owl. She moved towards it, inspecting the creature closely as though with little regard for personal space or boundaries. "Fascinating," she murmured with all the energy of a biologist identifying a newly found species, "Appears to be avian with the plumage and form, but no wings can be seen. Quite unique, all the way out here."

Suddenly, she seemed to become aware of the creature's sentience as she began to address it. "Who might you be? Your kind is not common here, what has brought you so far from home?"

Despite the grim warnings, Kikwi quite enjoyed his rabbit stew. While he had a more varied diet than a true owl, meat was still his main staple. That is not to say that he did not throroughly enjoy the carrots, celery, and potatoes that were mixed in, and he was only brought out of his enjoyment by a soft voice at his side.

He turned his head independently of his body to see the elven woman. She was dressed strangely, with all sorts of plants in her hair. Rather than being put-off by this, Kikwi found himself fascinated. What a new and fantastic thing to see! She must find new flowers often, for they look freshly bloomed.

“I am Kikwi,” he answered with trademark cheer. “I am on a mission from Elbion College!” He shifted a little bit so that the emblem of his robes was more visible. He was intensely proud of himself, and although he knew boasting to be impolite, she had asked why he was here.

“What is your name? I like your flowers very much.” It occured to him that, of anyone here, she would probably know a lot about plants and fungus considering she wore so many of them. He unfolded the piece of paper once more and showed it to her.

“I don’t know if you’re from around here, but have you seen this mushroom?”

Kikwi’s sensitive ears suddenly picked up on a familiar voice. It had been drowned in others earlier, or maybe he was just too busy eating his stew. He glanced over and saw his old friend Willis. It was truly uncanny how they kept bumping into each other! Best not to interrupt his game, though, they would have time to speak soon.

The white witch dismounted from her broom.
She preferred this method of travel over anything else. Though now it was time to set it aside and let it rest on its own.

»Perhaps, but I have more hope to merely look out on our own.« Susan ruffled her hair, taking the broom in one hand and walking after Medea towards the inn. The witch generally avoided settlements as best as she could. Human ones especially.
Especially when either of the witches looked 'off' in their own way.

»An avian you say?« The white witch spoke softly back to Medea. She was, all but blinded by the light of the establishment.

The Sand Elf stumbled around for a bit before drawing his saber towards Willis' throat. Willis immediately drew his Cutlass out as soon as he heard sound of Sand Elf's curved sword coming out from his hilt. Willis felt the pointy end of the weapon poking near his adam's apple while Willis placed the tip of his Cutlass at the Sand Elves abdomen. "I do not like cheaters," the Sand Elf growled.

"And I don't like sore losers," Willis replied fighting an urge to smile. "Especially those who don't accept fault for their inability to play. So we can set the table and Dice again so I can get more coin out of you or I can slice open your guts right here right now."

"Bold words for a man who's about to have his throat slit." The Sand Elf laughed. "I am very curious to see what an Naziran's innards look like."

"Probably the same old stuff you find in other humans." Willis shrugged. "Personally I never met a Sand Elf, tell me when I cut open your stomach will sand fall out first? Or will it be your blood?"

The Sand Elf growled but Willis immediately did a horizontal scratch across his stomach forcing him to drop his sword. Willis collided his forehead with the Elf and he was sent falling face first on to the wooden floor. Desperately, the Sand Elf crawled away from Willis reaching for his saber and just when he gripped the hilt of his weapon the Sand Elf screamed in agony. A dagger pierced through his wrist and blood came pouring out.

"You really need to control your anger there buddy," Willis said cheerfully wiggling his dagger on to the Elf's hand causing him to screech. "Now I suggest you go to the nearest healer." Willis began to apply more weight on to the dagger it went deeper and deeper into the Elf's wrist.

"You see the thing about wrists," Willis smirked. "Is that there's a LOT of veins around there. As soon as I pull my blade out of it, you'll start bleeding heavily. There's a Wood Witch lives a few kilometers from here, you'll make it to her if you hurry."

Willis removed his dagger from the Sand Elf's wrist and he screamed in agony. The young man helped the Sand Elf on his feet and instantly pushed him to the exit. The Sand Elf said something in his native tongue in which Willis guessed were slew of curses while staggered out of the Inn leaving behind a trail of blood. The entire Inn stared Willis as he sighed. "Sorry about the mess," he said tossing two gold coins to the Bartender."

Willis was about to leave until he saw a familiar face......Kikwi! "Ah Kikwi!" Willis smiled recognizing his friend. "How are you? What the hell you doing here so close to the edge of the Woodlands? It aint safe for small Owls."

"Kikwi," the witch repeated, the name coming out in an utterly fascinated tone. "How odd for the college of man to be so welcoming to others. Impressive, to say the least." She smiled, a strangely comforting yet simultaneously offputting expression, as she's been told.

At the question of her name, she placed a hand on her chest. "You may call me Medea, of the Grove. I grew these flowers myself, though I have many more." It was a comfort to hear interest and plain curiosity from one within a colony of man rather than cries of blasphemy and heresy, to say the least. Perhaps the corruption of such groups had yet to infiltrate such an intriguing soul?

Her mind was pulled from her musings as Kikwi produced a paper, unfolding it to reveal an elaborate depiction of a mushroom. A mushroom quite similar to the one she and her sister are searching for, no less. "We search for the same fungus, then. My sister and I," she gestured to the white witch, "have narrowed down the mushroom to a place beyond the village in the north. We had come to this building in order to narrow down such vague descriptions, however." Yet, it seems that fate had dealt them a partner in this search. "The mushroom has quite unique properties, attributes that make it quite a rarity compared to the local flora. It would make a fine addition to my garden."

She glanced to her side, recalling the sensitivity of her companion. "An avian indeed, sister, by the name of Kikwi. The ones hailing from the Falwood, if you're familiar. This one is of the college, and is in fact on a search for the very same fungus as us, by the looks of his drawing." She searched the establishment with her gaze before raising her hand. With a quick and subtle twist of her wrist, the torches that lit the inn dimmed down as a sudden faint gust of wind briefly came and went. "Perhaps that is better?"

The gambler, the same as she had seen before, appeared to be familiar with the small owl. Remaining silent, she turned her head to the disgruntled Sand Elf and the trail of blood left behind. Perhaps it was for the best that she did not partake in the game of chance. Looking back to the man, she asked abruptly, "What is your name?"

Kikwi was delighted at Madea’s response. While the news of the mushroom had just reached Elbion, it made sense that the information would be known elsewhere. Anecdotal accounts had to accumulate and be verified before such tales were taken seriously, after all. It was heartening to hear that she already knew something of the botanic, and it only served to heighten Kikwi’s excitement. The mission had just become that much more real.

He glanced at the woman next to her, a pale woman who he had not noticed at first. They did not look like sisters, but he supposed he was not one to judge others by their appearance. He was surprised that they knew of his people, but he was proud nonetheless. The lights in the inn dimmed inexplicably, but Kikwi’s large pupils dilated accordingly, and he saw just as clearly as he had a moment ago.

“I have also heard that the mushroom is North of here!” he exclaimed, recounting the patron whom he’d spoken to just minutes before. “I.. uh, I don’t suppose you would like to come with me?” He had enjoyed his solitary travels thus far, but he was comforted by the idea of having companions. Especially those who were taller and less appetizing to bobcats and coyotes. He would of course need to take samples of the mushroom back to the college, but he saw no harm in Madea taking her own scientific samples as well.

There was quite a commotion at a nearby table, and Kikwi looked over to see Willis approaching from a blood-covered table. “Willis!” He squeaked. He hadn’t seen his old friend since… since…

Memories of fire and intense heat filled his head. Demonic figures battling in the courtyard, crumbling architecture. He could see the aftermath in his mind clear as day, and had passed much of the rubble as he set out.

He shook his head, banishing the bad thoughts. “I am on official college business!” He said importantly. While he was no fighter, the prospect of danger had added to his self-narrative of a very important scientist. That being said, the college had deemed this mission one of “least concern” for danger, otherwise he would never have been allowed to go alone so soon after his induction.

He gestured to the two women standing beside him. “Willis, this is Madea and her sister. I uh… I’m sorry I don’t know your name,” he said bashfully to Asuego. “And this is Willis!” he continued, introducing the swashbuckling monster-hunter to his newest of friends. He saw the trail of blood leaving from the table to the door. “I hope you aren’t in any trouble,” he whispered to Willis. He knew the man could fight off just about any threat, and would be grateful to have his company on the trip, but he worried that the innkeepers might not appreciate such violence within their walls. “But you are welcome to come exploring with me!” he added with a smile.

The witch leaned back as the two came into discussion.
Her eyes, however, wandered across the whole inn. Some men, of course, started to cause a minor debacle.
It did indeed surprise her how one of the duo that seemed to be inches of a fight dissolved so quickly.

The white witch turned back to listen to Medea's and Kikwi's discourse.
»The mushroom has been alluding us for a long time, uniting our efforts would certainly fruit good result.«

• Cheer
  • Yay
Reactions: Kikwi and Medea
Medea, upon hearing the offer of companionship, grew a delighted expression that adorned her face. "Oh, that would be wonderful. As my sister says, this fungus has proven to be quite elusive. Your company would be appreciated."

She turned to look at the man, Willis as he appeared to be named. He appeared to be a capable warrior of some description, considering the bloody scene he managed to leave after a single game. His company would provide a lovely barrier between harm, should the need arise. "When shall we leave in search of the mushroom, if we are to go together?"

• Yay
Reactions: Asuego 'Susanna'
Kikwi clicked his beak in excitement. “Wonderful!” he exclaimed, clapping his small scaley hands together. “I just need to gather my things, perhaps an hour.” He took two greedy spoonfuls to finish his stew, placed a few copper coins on the counter, and hopped down off the stool. “I’ll meet you all out in front!”

Without a second glance, he scampered up the stairs and into his room. He needn’t bring all of his supplies, but he would need enough to take samples and notes to bring back. He pulled a hefty bag from one of the traveling trunks and began to pack. He gathered up a pair of notebooks, one for quick access in his robes and a backup in the bag. Other items included extra ink vials and quills, and plenty of collection vials and handling tools. He stuffed a thick mycology book into the bag, along with thick glass goggles, custom made for his unique face, a fine woven scarf, and finally, tiny leather gloves that went to his elbows. He wore a small knife and trowel on his belt, for collection purposes.

Hefting the bag onto his back, he tottered unsteadily back down the stairs and into the stables. Beatrice was munching happily. “Break time is over,” Kikwi hooted at her. He gathered up some feed for his trusty steed and hitched her to his wagon.

He pulled around to the front of the inn. The wagon would not be large enough to seat his large companions, but they could put their bags and supplies into it, as he had done. He sat patiently, but eagerly, waiting for his traveling party to arrive.

The pale witch seemed to be on the meeting spot before anyone else, she just needed to show up.
Spotting the little owlettman on the designated meeting place, she tidied herself up and steered her broom downwards. I'll need more flying ointment soon, she thought to herself as the broom made some janky movements right before landing.
»All packed and ready?«

• Cheer
  • Yay
Reactions: Medea and Kikwi
The Grove Witch was positioned by a tree in front of the tavern, sitting cross-legged beside it. Her hands idly traced the surface of the bark, prompting the subtle growth of moss to follow her touch, slowly blossoming with vibrant colors.

The slow trotting of a donkey halted her idle gardening, prompting her to move her gaze towards Kikwi ad her sister. "Just a moment," she answered as she got up, motioning to the forest as she did so. The foliage began to shudder, the heavy shifting of weight audible beyond it, as the bushes parted to reveal a moose. Its muddy brown fur was interlaced with vines as moss hung from its antlers. Medea mounted the creature, saying, "We're ready to depart."

• Wonder
Reactions: Asuego 'Susanna'
Kikwi's head swiveled around to see that both of his occult companions were already outside. He watched in amazement as Asuego drifted down on a broomstick. He was dumbstruck for a moment before answering her question.

"Um... uh, yes! All ready to go!" He lifted the reins on Beatrice and urged her forwards. "Off we go!" he said, and the goat started off with gentle encouragement, looking at the two witches with horizontal pupils.

The road started off as a well traveled, wide dirt path. It was smooth going at first, but it quickly wound down to a skinny, bumpy trail full of rocks, tree roots, and potholes. It was slow going in the wagon, but luckily the little wooden craft held together. The trail began to turn upwards for the last couple of hours, and the fog grew thicker and the air cooler as they ascended.

After a couple of hours they saw their first Blue Shroud. The cap was roughly the size of a tea saucer, and it was a lovely color, with vivid spots and small soft spines around the rim. Kikwi immediately hopped off of the wagon to approach it. "Beautiful!" he said. "We have our first sample!" A few minutes of careful trowel work and the fungus was excised. He placed it into the back of the wagon. "There must be more up ahead."

And he was right. As they moved on the mushroom became more and more common. Finally, cresting a hillside, the looked down into a small valley. A village was there in the shadow of a rocky hill. The buildings were quaint, with thatched roofs and simple wooden walls, but the mushroom was everywhere. It grew along the streets and in gardens, and surrounded the perimeter of the settlement. People moved about slowly, not seeming to be in any sort of hurry at all.

As they walked into its borders they were approached by a woman in a long blue dress. She was older, perhaps forty, but she had pretty features and long blonde hair. "Welcome, travelers," she said in a pleasant voice. "You must be tired from coming such a long way. Please, enjoy a meal at my inn." She smiled, and moseyed away towards one of the small buildings. Smoke was rising from the roof.

Kikwi looked around at his companions. "Should we go?" He was hungry after all.

Last edited:
Asuego perhaps quite enjoyed the sight. She chose to ride her broom a few meters behind the two.
The slow steps of the vinemoose were quite a contrast against the little goat's clippityclop and swiggity-swoop tail.

»Here's my boline,« She offered little Kiwkvi her utensil. Perhaps it was slightly too large for the avian, but the tool was well sharpened.
»We clean it in the forest and carry it in baskets if we want to spread the spores. Else I suggest a proper container if to study it is your desire.«

It was quite a sight to behold after a good while when more and more of these mushrooms began to tickle in. Asuego took some samples and carried them in her sack that happily dangled from the fore-end of her broom. A small village in sight was quite a grace for the most common type of traveller, but Susanna was most often approached with a visage of contempt and fear-respect if not outright hate. The rather pleasant demeanour of the golden-haired woman did surprise her, especially with a wandering party of their type.

»I would advise some caution.«