Letters The Allirian Account

Roleplay dedicated to correspondence type roleplays such as letters.

Lily

Journalist
Character Biography
Link
The Allirian Account
The Allirian Account is a semi-regular publications of the happenings going on around all of Arethil. Readers are encouraged to write us back and let us know their thoughts, suggestions, or to ponder any questions of our excellent writing staff.

Issue 01

Arethil: One World, One Community
Disaster in Bhatharik

Written by: Lily Sophia Montgomery

Originally I was going to be writing a piece detailing the everyday lives of the orcs living in Bhatharik. Unfortunately, on my way to the city I was intercepted and warned to stay away due to a terrible Amalgamation. Though I did not see this for myself I felt it important to catalogue the reports of numerous eye-witnesses.

As I like to report only on what can be confirmed I have to caution my readers that I was unable to obtain very much corroborating evidence to these wild tales. I can, however, confirm that notable damage was done to the city and that visitors were barred entry until the mess was better assessed by the Council of Elders and the Circle of Shamans within Bhatharik.

One eye-witness who wished to remain anonymous stated, “we fled as soon as the alarms were raised. I’ve never seen so many of our kind flee in unison before. I’ve never seen so many of our kind die so quickly.” When pressed for information the witness claimed they were unsure if the beast had caused the deaths or something else. ”I saw a huge flash of light and then I saw some of my neighbors dead.”

An additional witness claims they saw a phoenix, ”it flew very high, then erupted in fire. It was the phoenix that killed the beast, I swears it.”

Several orcs, humans, elves, and others had to be evacuated from the city and were taken into medical tents. Nearby settlements have also been offering aid in the clean up and recovery processes. The representative from the Council of Elders agreed to speak with me from this story and though they did not want their name on record they insisted that “something awful” had occurred here but that they would rebuild and recover within time.

A bounty has been offered for any information leading to the origins of the beast. As for me, once Bhatharik is back up on its feet I fully intend to return there and cover how life is going for the residents of the great orcish city. It will surely be a long road towards recovery but from all of us at The Allirian Account we wish you the best of luck!

Important Happenings
Crime on the Rise? Is it a Ratastrophe?

Written by: Cadeyn “Lucky Break” Pedersun

Recent events in Alliria have caused many to wonder why the Merchant Council seems to cast a blind eye onto the rising threat of crime on our fair citizens. According to reports from our agents in the field the sewers beneath our feet are infested not just with rats but with Rous. A rat-like-people-like race of rat-like-people. In addition, the city guard was on high alert for an entire evening hindering this reporter's ability to dine at his favorite Obanese restaurant.

When asked to comment on the situation the Alliran City Watch submitted this statement, “Our steadfast efforts helped thwart an attempt on an upstanding member of society’s valuables. We are still attempting to track down the suspects responsible and will update the Allirian Account as soon as we have these wrong-doers in custody.”

The Allirian Account pressed the watch for further clarification on the reports of rat-human hybrids skulking about in the shadows to which we were informed, “no comment at this time.” This is clear evidence that once again bureaucracy and poor policework are taking precedence over informing the good citizens of Alliria, nay all of Arethil, about the clear and present dangers afoot. I remember in my youth when rats were simply a vermin you could trap with cheese and clever devices. Now they’re stealing valuable antiques and causing streets to close.

We’ll keep our readers updated but as of right now the reports are still trickling in on the subject and we encourage any of our loyal readers to write in if they have any information about the criminals responsible for this heinous act.

Opinion Piece - What the OGRE?
Horses

Written by: Gor’Mash the Face-puncher

The opinion’s expressed by Gor’Mash the Face-puncher are not shared by the staff at The Allirian Account. Reader discretion is advised.

What is horse? Many reader ask Gor’Mash this question. I spend several moments reading scroll about this subject. Turns out, many small species need horse to get around. Not Gor’Mash though, Gor’Mash very fast on feet. Not need some hairy animal to trot Gor’Mash around. One time Gor’Mash walk from Alliria to Elbion in three hour. Pathetic hoomans tried to tell Gor’Mash it take many months for this but Gor’Mash know the truth.

In conclusion, if you own horse do not ride. Eat. Very tasty meat.

Editor’s Note: Please do not eat your horse.

All Magics Considered
Golems

Written by: Professor Freya Winterbane

Editor’s Note: We would like to remind our readers that Professor Freya was once a brilliant mind and that in her old age there may be some slight dementia. Unfortunately, no one else with proper expertise is willing to write on the varieties of magic and we know this is of interest to many of our readers. Please only respond with serious inquiries.

Many mages, witches, and warlocks have tried their hand at the creation of golems throughout their time of magical study. And who could blame them? Having a nifty creature that follows you around and assists with mundane tasks? As soon as I created my first golem I set off to have it clean the dishes, wash the clothes, and tend to my garden. I’ve since gone eleven years without once having to pick up a broom.

The problem, however, is that most do not understand the intricacies of golem magic. You have to imbue a part of your very soul into the creatures and if you’re inexperienced it can have disastrous effects. Once, when I was still tenured at Elbion College (before my well-known accident) I witnessed a young mage-in-training accidently put his entire soul into a suit of armor. He clinked and clanked around for days until senior soulmages arrived back from an expedition to the Ixchel Wilds to restore him to his rightful form.

Anyways, where was I? Right, golems. Golems are exceedingly useful but in order to make them work you have to use an enchantment and enchanting spells do not last forever. If you forget to recharge your golems they’ll end up inanimate and stiff. It’ll take at least four mortals of varying strength to move them if they’re blocking a corridor. That’s why I don’t even use golems anymore. I stick with enchanting broomsticks.

Let me know what other magical queries you have and I’d be delighted to help. Toodles!

The Allirian Account
Issue 02

Arethil: One World, One Community
Caravan to Alliria - Prologue
Written by: Lily Sophia Montgomery

It’s an annual tradition. A merchant parade from Elbion westwards to Alliria. They bring with them exotic furs, rare goods, and a mishmash of creatures. I’m currently on the road with these fascinating beings and am interviewing any who wish to give me a few minutes of their day. I hope our readers will continue to keep up with these chronicles so that they can keep up-to-date about the world around them and the various creatures that inhabit Arethil.

Before the caravan even departed the gates of Elbion I had the pleasure of interviewing a bipedal lizardlike person. Though they did not speak common we had a great time sharing food with one another and by the creatures gestures I was fairly certain they were fond of me as well. The language it spoke was a harsh sounding combination of various consonant sounds, growls, and hissing.

Through the hieroglyphs the person wrote I discerned that they called themself ◙♀♣♪ and that they were a strict carnivore. I attempted to understand if the person had any sort of religious or cultural practices but it just kept using its tongue to consume buzzing flies which I took more as an affirmation that it was still hungry than a confirmation of any of my questions.

Hopefully the next individuals that I conduct interviews with will speak common or some other language that I understand so that I can get a more detailed article for our valued readers. Regardless, whatever species this person was apart of was unbelievably fascinating to me and I encourage anyone to write in and let me know if they’ve had run-ins with these beings in the past.

Important Happenings
Dwarves on the rise? Why are they trying to destroy the world?
Written by: Cadeyn “Lucky Break” Pedersun

Numerous reports of DWARVES re-settling a lost fort have arisen. From our inquiries we uncovered that this expedition seeks to reclaim a long lost dwarven settlement known as “Carraig Gorm.” Some reports insist that this stronghold was lost to orcs, disease, or simple dwarven incompetence. This reporter thinks if those are the options it’s almost certainly incompetence.

However, why is no one asking the most pertinent question? What if the dwarves didn’t leave this abandoned fortress but they simply were killed by the demonic hellspawn that call it home? And if that’s true then why are the dwarves heading out to re-settle this horrible place? Could it be that Belgrath is haunted too?

I’m just asking questions that no one else seems to want to ask. I think if we aren’t willing to ask if the dwarves are conjuring evil spirits and consorting with ghosts then we’ll never really know how evil these pint-sized creatures can truly be.

I hold my head high with the belief that humanity, elves, and orcs will be safe from the wrongdoings and foul rituals that these hedonistic dwarves are surely committing underground.

Think About the Children
A Morally Bankrupt Empire in the Far East
Written by: Dorothy McGarven

When I first learned of the horrible things happening out east... well, I’ll be honest dear readers, I nearly fainted. A mighty empire arisen in Amol-Kalit that attacks innocents and incorporates them into their own sick and twisted tribe. What’s worse is that I’ve even heard rumors of polygamy. They apparently have a so-called giant serving as their godking and he marries so many wives and husbands.

He calls these spouses his “viziers” and they spread their tyranny with an iron fist. Some of the spouses are elves, some are human, some male, some female. It’s just sickening really, I’m trying to instill in my children good moral values such as chastity, monogamy, and not living in the desert.

Then, my poor son has to open up a copy of that other newspaper and read all about this terrible place. Now he wants to have his own viziers. My daughter wants to go off and marry another woman, kept going on and on about viziers or immortals or something and how lovely they can be. I beat both of them within an inch of their lives and I’d encourage you to do the same. We don’t use that kind of language in my household.

If anyone tells you about some sand kingdom ruled by Gary tell them you don’t want to hear it. Ignorance is bliss my friends.

Opinion Piece - What the OGRE?
Nourishment
Written by: Gor’Mash the Face-puncher

The opinion’s expressed by Gor’Mash the Face-puncher are not shared by the staff at The Allirian Account. Reader discretion is advised.

How to be nooorished? This important question for any ogre so must also be important for non-ogre too. Me find that eating hoomans or elves very nourishment. See, me no like carrot or bean or squash but am told that it important to eat these things for “good diet”. Gor’Mash believe this to be lie. You can just eat meat but if you eat hooman or elf meat they already ate nasty vegetable so Gor’Mash don’t need. Some say this against the law. That why Gor’Mash no tell guards or only eat when others not around. Backroads at night very convenient way. Gor’Mash deliver big time face punch and then eat before they wake up. Sometimes they wake up half-way through big eat and it no good.

If you still need help being nourish please no write to Gor’Mash. Gor’Mash can’t help you.

All Magics Considered
The College’s Colossal Guest
Written by: Professor Freya Winterbane

Several of my former students have alerted me that a giant from Molthal has arrived at the College in Elbion. It’s widely believed that the giant is a young child looking to be trained in the various magics that the college has to offer. I am wishing this giant the best of luck as magical studies can be quite difficult.

During my tenure at the college I was busy reading and writing and spellcasting all day and night. Sometimes I even taught my students a thing or two. A-yo! Anyways, this young giant is going to have her work cut out for her. They’ll probably need to sand down a tree trunk just to have a wand that’s at the appropriate size. It’s very important, you see, to have a balanced wand so that your spells can be cast all proper like.

If you ever want to study magic there’s no finer place than the Elbion College. And that’s the truth. Toodles!

Editor’s Note: We would like to remind our readers that Professor Freya was once a brilliant mind and that in her old age there may be some slight dementia. Unfortunately, no one else with proper expertise is willing to write on the varieties of magic and we know this is of interest to many of our readers. Please only respond with serious inquiries.

If you would like to have your opinion's heard in The Allirian Account please send your letters into our editing office at:

The Allirian Account
ATTN: Editor
405 Drury Lane
West Emmington, Alliria