Private Tales Spores and Spider and Sewers, Oh...

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Hector

A Heart for Iron
Character Biography
Link
1644136711223.png

Roughly a weeks ride north of the Monastery was the river town of Lanoline, where trade barges frequently stopped on their ventures up and down the great Wda. It was a bustling place, near as close to a city as one could get this far east of the Reach and West of the Spine. Of course, there were the great dwarven cities, imbedded in the mountains themselves, and the great city of the Orcs, Bhatharik further up the river weeks to the north. No, so far from such monuments of civilization, Lanoline was practically Alliria. Not that Hector knew anything about the famed city.

Traders of all sorts frequented Lanoline, and the lords and ladies that called it home and sat upon its council did their best to present the large port town as a city of commerce and industry. So, when they had sent missive to Astenvale, and made known their need for aid, the Captains laughed.

On more than one occasion, logging parties from Lanoline had been sent so far deep into the woods, seeking to claim heartwood from the most ancient of trees, that the Knights caught wind of their schemes and ran them off. No blood had been spilled of course, but word had carried back to Lanoline of wild knights, possessed by fae or the spirits of the Eldyr tree, who would bring ruin to any man or woman who dare claim a tree.

Of course, the Captains were prudent, and they had sent Pursuants to try and treaty with the council, in hopes of instruction, in hopes of building a practice that would yield the town the lumber they desired, but left the woods strong and with life. And did not tread on the sanctum of the spirits and creatures most old, who would tarry no human greed.

Hector had heard it from Knight Master Brambleshell herself after a hortimancy lecture. They had threatened the Pursuants with imprisonment, lashings even, for having cost the town so much coin on those failed expeditions. Luckily, the Pursuants bore enough skill to see themselves out of that most thorny situation.

Yet, here they were, Knights of a new generation, answering the call for help from a most odious neighbor.

Edwina.png"I don't know why we are even here," Edwina, Knight Sworn of Dusk, complained as the three members of the Order walked through the empty streets of Lanoline. It was night, and the moon hung high in the sky as silver clouds traced and refracted the yellow-ish glow. "These people don't care for anything we stand for, nor do they even offer us fair reward," she went on.

Hector read over the missive. "Well, the details tell of missing house pets, strange mushrooms growing from the drainage ditches, and..." he squinted as he tried to read the smeared letters. "Horrible legs," he nodded, and looked to Edwina and Awlyn. "Sounds to me like there may be a sporecap spider nesting in the sewer somewhere," he smiled with some enthusiasm. "And if we bring back a live Sporecap, that'll be reward enough,"

Edwina groaned. "Yes, Hector, thank you, I understand that. Doesn't change the fact that they had us come all the way out here, and they didn't even offer us free lodging." She huffed, and went on with her swaggering stride, her claymore sheathed and rested proudly against her shoulder. "What do you think about all this, Awlyn? You agree, don't you?"

A stray towns-person passed them by, wide eyed and confused by their appearance. She hurried away.

Edwina clicked her teeth and shook her head. "What, never see a knight before?" she muttered.

Awlyn Elrod

Last edited:
Awlyn was immediately put off by the passerby’s behavior. That was most certainly not the response expected of someone who was receiving their aid. As a very polite person herself, the lack of any common courtesy bothered her. “Well, they seem to be quite rude, that’s for sure,” she frowned, not really concerned if the woman had heard her - she probably hadn’t, with how fast she’d scurried away.

She hadn’t needed to say it, of course. All three of them had heard of Lanoline’s past interactions with the Knights of Anathaeum. She didn’t look kindly on the city’s inhabitants after learning of their greed and she agreed with Edwina to a degree. It had been quite daring of them to ask for help from ones they’d treated so poorly in the past, she thought, but that also meant the situation might be getting too out of hand. Or it could be that they were taking advantage of the order’s code of conduct to easily rid themselves of a problem. She was sure that a less noble group would’ve refused the request outright after their dealings in the past.

Still, not everyone in Lanoline was a greedy trader, even if it felt like that. There were surely innocent people who would suffer should they refuse to lend their aid to the city.

“It would’ve been nice to have lodging provided to us, but regardless, we’re not here for a reward,” she concluded with a sigh, addressing her Dusk counterpart with a bit of a sympathetic smile. She then turned to Hector, “Do we have any more information?”

No matter what their mission was or who it was for, she would make sure it was done with excellence and professionalism. And perhaps after their visit, the people of Lanoline would be more receptive of the knights - that would be quite a feat.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Hector
Hector looked over the report once more. "Hmm, let me see," he thought aloud as he squinted at the piece of parchment, "A little hard to see," he said, and straitened himself up, closed his eyes and took in a smooth breath through his nose. "Light of day, light of life, let my way be lit by little wings so bright," he canted softly, and beside his head came a spew of sparks and embers that turned to a small bird of flame, every bit a finch for a few brief seconds, before it turned to an orb of fire, burning upon itself. "There we go," he smirked and went on reading.

"Hector," Edwina cut with a narrowed gaze, a quick string of words whispered too quick to make out spilled from her lips and with a flip of her pointer and middle finger, Hector's little flame summon dissipated, returning them to the gloom. "Maybe not the best idea to draw attention to us, huh?"

Stricken, Hector looked to Edwina wide eyed, then to Awlyn, "Oh! Oh, I apologize, I did not mean to-"

"Cut it squire," Edwina's words jabbed out. "We aren't in the Vale anymore, and we sure as hell aren't at the Monastery," her stare was hard, and she clicked her tongue before she turned away and strode forward, shoulders set firm as her claymore swayed with each step. "Let's carry on with this Lesson over some food and drink at least," she called back. "I hear the ale in Lanoline is decent enough," she smirked some, mischievous as her harshness eased some.

Hector gathered himself up. None-too sure why Edwina's mood had turned so quickly, but he nodded and followed after her, hands folding up the mission notes and tucking them away in a pocket inside his gambeson.

Inside the Inn named the Dagger and Jewel, whose sign bore a bright dagger and a apple red ruby, were gathered the young knights, and the squire, who sat around a long table. Their room had been rented, their equipment and packs stowed away and locked. Edwina enjoyed a pint of honey-ale, and the sour mood that had taken her seemed to have evaporated.

"I..." she began, as Hector drank from his own mug. "I just needed to remind you Hector," she did not apologize, instead she took a sip, and after she wiped her lip she said. "Not all look kindly upon magic, you must remember," she looked to Awlyn, her fellow Sworn, maybe some light there in her gaze hoped she would not look too unkindly upon her for her earlier chiding of their junior. "And as we saw earlier, not all look too kindly upon us either,"

The squire listned, and let his ale sit before him. "I understand, Edwina," he said, with a nod. "And I will try to remember,"

Edwina bowed her head, satsified with his answer. "Good," she drank a little more ale, and smiled. "Maybe we can convince Master Brambleshell to help us brew some of this stuff up, eh?" She laughed, and raised her mug. "Cheers, my fellows,"

Hector smiled, and raised his mug in return, "Cheers," he added.

"To the order!" Edwina said with a shine of pride.

Awlyn Elrod