Private Tales Silver Lightning

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Sung Lin

Character Biography
Link
Sung Lin had had it with this continent. The west was quite the cesspit, brigands and criminals were rampant and unchecked, and were completely annoying. She’d been ambushed by brigands almost twenty times since Elbion, and every time she’d ended up slaughtering them with minimal effort, but despite this she had to deal with the brigands every time she came across a group. Of course this time she wasn’t the only one to come across a group, this time there’s was another, a man, one who she first thought to be a brigand. So she didn’t bother trying to bypass him, she just sped forward and attacked with her Jian sword.

Takashi wandered the roads near the city of Elbion, a scarf covering his face and his eyes trained upon the vicinity, keeping watch of the many people coming and going, either alone or in small groups. His time at the city was brief but far from dull, and now he sought a comfortable rest in the woods before moving on with his aimless journey.

As time went by, the young man noticed the close presence of two men just a few paces behind him. The rest of the travelers had disappeared, rain was coming down heavy and night was close. It was a time where the roads would become too dangerous for merchants, but not for bandits.

He stopped in his tracks as three more strangers blocked his way out the region, hand already reaching for the scabbard on his waist. The bandits were the first to engage, drawing their knives and jumping towards him, but Takashi quickly drew his katana and effortlessly cut through the backstabbers.

The others were stunned by his quick movements for a second but charged towards him nonetheless, also facing their demise by Takashi's Nikana.

Although that fight had seemingly ended, he felt another presence drawing in, this one much more fast and dangerous. Takashi turned just in time to check her attack, meeting blade with blade.

"Are you one of them?", he asked calmly, blue eyes facing his attacker.

Sung Lin

"Are you one of them?"

“Who’s them?” She asked simply, keeping up her attack, not stopping for even a moment, never giving him the chance to counter. Though he was clearly skilled with his katana, which she recognized as one of the weapons of the easternmost empire back home, she had a few meetings with Samurai from that place, and they seemed honorable enough.

She wasn’t sure if she could beat him though. She wasn’t much of an up front fighter, better suited to guerilla warfare and skirmishing.

He kept himself in the defensive, raising his katana to match her strikes as she continued her barrage of attacks. Takashi wasn't sure if she was with those men who ambushed him, especially by the looks of her clothing.

She also had a refined and disciplined style of combat, something most common bandits lacked. More like a warrior than a thug, but he knew he needed to make sure.

"One of those men who attacked me!"

As skilled as she was, Takashi counted on his inhuman speed to look for a breach in her attacks, taking a longer step backwards then swinging forward, not aimed for killing but for stunning her.

Sung Lin

As guessed, she couldn’t actually beat him in open combat. She had intended to finish him quickly and avoid prolonged open conflict, but that proved useless when he went for a stunning blow, which proved to be the hilt of his katana to her temple. Her armor clanged as she was thrown to the ground. Her Jian fell to the earth as the blow to her temple interrupted her ability to grip her sword, there were a number of places on the human body one could strike for a variety of effects, the temple being one of them.

She expected him to kill her then and there, but she was surprised to be spared. After a moment of recovering from his counterattack, she answered his question. “If you are asking if I am one of these brigands, the answer is no. I assumed you were one of them.”

Takashi's speed seemed to surprise her, catching her with a swift strike to the side of the head with the blunt of his sword. He watched as she fell down, the impact of her armor raising some dust around just as Takashi spun his katana around his hand, pointing it towards the woman.

She looked as if she had given up, just waiting for him to deliver the killing blow and hoping that it would be a quick and clean death. In those few seconds of silence and anxiety, Takashi could look upon her with greater detail, assuming that she seemed to be an outsider.

With a short grunt, Takashi put away his sword and reached with his right hand towards the woman, seeking to help her get up as she finally answered his question.

It had become a comical situation, with both of them thinking that the other was part of that dead bandit group, but even if she wasn't, Takashi was curious as to what business that woman had there.

"I'm not. You can call me Takashi, and you are...?"

Sung Lin

“Lin, Sung Lin. I apologize for attacking you, I had assumed you to be a brigand.” She says accepting his hand.

Once she was on her feet, she picked up her sword and sheathed it. “It isn’t often I see a fellow easterner here in the west. What is your purpose this far west?”

Takashi nodded, accepting her apologies after helping her up. He assumed she had been dealing with ambushes like that for some time, being on so high alert while travelling those roads.

But then he stood confused by her question. Going by her words, Takashi was right to assume that she was an outsider, and yet they had some very resembling features. His mother didn't look like him at all, and Tak had never bothered to ask her about his father, who he never met.

She seemed to talk of her home like a land far away, a land unknown to him.

"I'm from down south, from the Black Bay", he answered, eyes slightly looking downwards while he pondered upon her other question.

His purpose... As a protector of those lands, his only 'purpose' was to honor the powers given to him, to defend the people.

"I'm a wanderer. I travel around Arethil to try and protect it, from monsters and anything else who may threaten it."

Sung Lin

"I'm from down south, from the Black Bay"

“Oh, apologies, I made assumptions again, a terrible habit of mine.” She says as she sheaths her blade. “You resemble the people from my homeland. So I suppose the southern lands are of similar appearance.”

"I'm a wanderer. I travel around Arethil to try and protect it, from monsters and anything else who may threaten it."

“A noble goal. I’m here looking for someone, and I hope to find him before my brother does. Have you by any chance seen an easterner carrying a three bladed spear?”

Tak had never really seen other people that looked like him back in Cerak, especially considering the hefty mix of all kinds of people and races there. Humans, elves and especially orcs, the most intimidating bunch.

And someone carrying a three bladed spear? If he didn't know better, he would've guessed it was someone from his monastery, but the monks had forbidden the students to travel beyond the Reach, after the demonic invasions.

Takashi sought to leave as soon as he passed his trials, pleading that his power would be better used elsewhere, not just to defend the temple.

He quickly snapped back to reality, looking towards Lin again.

"I don't think I have. But what is it about? And why is your brother after this 'someone'?"

Sung Lin

"I don't think I have. But what is it about? And why is your brother after this 'someone'?"

“A matter of succession. They’re both my brothers, both older than I. Sung Chei is the younger of the two, the one who I need to find and the one my father named as the true successor, my eldest brother Sung Na took over by force, and now hunts Sung Chei to solidify his power. I need to find Chei and warn him of the hound at his heels.”

She wasn’t lying, though she was a little too quick to trust. She was quick to jump to conclusions, though if proven wrong she often jumped to the other extreme.

What a complicated matter, Takashi thought to himself.

But after the last few weeks meddling in the businesses of men and women with power, he came to realize that hunting demons and monsters was a far simpler task than trying to juggle between the blurred lines of 'civilized society'.

He had barely met that woman, but Tak could see that she could use some help to solve that matter. And to wander alone in those lands wasn't a easy matter in itself, let alone while trying to find someone that seemed to be so elusive.

"I see...", he said, adjusting the weapon on his waist, a old habit of his own. "Then let me help you. My sword is meant for more than just slaying monsters."

Sung Lin

"I see...", he said, adjusting the weapon on his waist, a old habit of his own. "Then let me help you. My sword is meant for more than just slaying monsters."

“You’d help?” She says surprised, not many had been keen to even speak to her once they found out that she was on the bad side of an eastern warlord. And now this man who she had just attacked was offering to help her out. “I couldn’t ask you to do that. The amount of risk you’d be taking by helping me is astronomical.”

Takashi couldn't help but let out a short smile, almost hidden because of the scarf now only slightly covering a bit of his face.

His whole life had been a risk, for as long as he could remember. That stupid idea to try and steal from mercenaries, barely escaping death and then finding himself training until his body was breaking down in that monastery.

The powers he possessed were a great risk as well, a great responsibility for him to uphold. Why would he consider himself a great and noble warrior if he refused the chance to help someone?

"It's my duty. To help those in need, without question or reward. If you accept, I won't fail you."

Sung Lin

"It's my duty. To help those in need, without question or reward. If you accept, I won't fail you."

She was silent. The man’s face showed that he was telling the truth, and she couldn’t help but trust him. “Alright. I’m glad to meet you and to have your help Master Takashi. I hope that it doesn’t end up hurting you in the end.”

She extended her hand for him to shake, and let her sincerity be known. She didn’t know why she trusted him so easily, but she did. And she hoped to heaven that it didn’t hurt her or him later on.

He put down his scarf to fully reveal his face, letting out a small laugh at her words. Being called master was awkward, even though he had beaten one of the Taikon Masters on his trials at the monastery.

He had also mastered the Way of the Sword during his time there, but was still too young to be deemed a master. Still, skill was often better put to practicality than theory.

Takashi took her hand, shaking it slightly as well as respectfully nodding, acknowledging her good intentions. He knew she was but a stranger, but Takashi was a good judge of character, and deep down he knew she was a good person, caught in the middle of a difficult conflict.

Only now he realized that night had fallen and they were next to a pile of corpses, while torches appeared in the distance, coming from the city of Elbion.

"I don't know what happens now, but we should probably get going. Elbion's guards are sent to patrol the vicinities every two hours, and they won't take too kindly to two strangers next to a bunch of dead men."

Sung Lin

"I don't know what happens now, but we should probably get going. Elbion's guards are sent to patrol the vicinities every two hours, and they won't take too kindly to two strangers next to a bunch of dead men."

“An excellent point. Should we return to the city or go elsewhere for the night? I have little knowledge of this place so the decision rests with you.” She says looking towards the torches headed their way. “Should we worry about the guards in general or only if we’re found near bodies?”

She wasn’t keen on becoming a criminal, but she had higher priorities. And she’d probably need to find some criminal informants in order to find her brother. So she wasn’t too worried about it but she’d still rather avoid it.

The fires were still some miles away, seeing as the guards had just left the gates of Elbion, and judging by their speed, they weren't on horseback. But if they took that main road towards the city, they'd still meet the guards head on, and with both of them being armed, they'd be the prime suspects of killing those men.

Takashi was too concentrated on his thoughts about what to do next, barely taking notice of Lin's words.

As much as he hated the thought of going back inside tall walls and crowded streets, he had learned that a city is a gold pit of information if one knew where to look. Trying to find such a peculiar individual like the one described by Lin would certainly be easier done with a few tips from the locals, and if not, they could just try their luck going from village to village.

He took a few steps away, in the direction of the city, clutching at his scabbard. The rain had almost swept all of the blood from the corpses away, mixing it with the wet mud of the road.

"Being imprisoned wouldn't exactly help us in finding your brother, but the city can be a good start", he said, without looking back to face her. "If we cut through the woods, we can avoid the patrol and pass the gates as simple travelers."

Without waiting for a answer, Takashi started to walk towards the trees.

Sung Lin

That was a solid plan, the city was a good place to go to for information. Knowing her brother, he’d have been in more than one scuffles and probably left a number of high class criminals either crying in a cell or dead, and definitely caught the attention of crime lords and nobles who either want him dead, out of the way or on their payroll. They’d probably have a lead within a few days. But her brother was very cautious, and always watched behind him, and she had remembered that before his escape to the west he hadn’t used his own trail to set a trap for his hunters, and destroy their chances to catch him in the foreseeable future.

It was quite likely that they’d catch his trail, that wasn’t the problem, the problem was actually catching up to him and getting him to not kill them. Takashi May have been able to beat her, but against her brother, he’d have a hell of a time to actually see an opening, much less exploit it.

So it was to the city they went, in the hopes to avoid capture they cut through the forest.

He watched from afar, hidden between the large trees of the forest as the patrol found the bodies, arming themselves and splitting up to look for survivors or culprits.

Pity they'd find neither.

Takashi lifted his scarf to cover half of his face and continued to roam the woods next to Lin, silently working on their next steps. First and foremost, they'd need a place to stay, somewhere safe and secluded, although that would be hard to find in a city like that.

Maybe they could try their luck in those places called taverns. Takashi only entered one such place, finding it very odd and filthy, a place to easily disrupt his inner peace and focus, but it was also a place that people visited frequently in search of rumors and gossip.

After half an hour of walking, they successfully managed to avoid any patrols and reached the guarded gates of the city, passing by as a couple of travelers seeking somewhere to spend the night before wandering on.

Takashi halted after they entered Elbion, looking towards Lin.

"We'll need to find somewhere to stay while we're here. And I might have an idea about how to find your brother."

Sung Lin

"We'll need to find somewhere to stay while we're here. And I might have an idea about how to find your brother."

"I assume that this place to stay is going to be one of those western tea houses, taverns I think they call them. A lot louder than most of them back home, but a good place to stay nonetheless. I have coin enough to get us a room for the night. And you say that you have an idea about how to find my brother, well, what might your idea be?" She asks when they stop.

She had been close to simply attacking the guards herself when they drew near to them, but Takashi was wise in keeping hidden. So they made it into the city without issue. And now they were going to be in search of their first possible lead and a place to keep warm while the night's cool breath sucked away heat.

Takashi nodded in agreement after listening to her. Yes, you could say he knew a place. A terrible place, judging by his own standards, but he knew the people there, good people, and even worked with them in a quest to save a innocent soul from a demonic curse.

The people of Elbion looked a lot more welcoming than those of Alliria. The city itself looked more refined, well kept by the merchant government and made famous by the College and its influence throughout the region, even though the lower districts were filled with poverty. A disrupted balance, but one that even Takashi couldn't help.

"Don't worry, you won't have to waste your coin", he said, before starting to walk towards the streets that led to the Port District. The tavern they would pass the night was there.

It would be quite the walk, from the upper town that they entered the city until reaching the docks, but at least the streets were calmer at night, without the rush of market and day jobs. He waited for Lin to catch up to him before speaking again.

"I helped some people here, before meeting you. They owe me a favor."

And he knew exactly from where he would collect that favor. Elbion's Grand Bazaar.

Sung Lin

I helped some people here, before meeting you. They owe me a favor."

“You’ve already offered me help, without requesting pay, I couldn’t possibly impose further upon your generosity.” She says, she truly wanted to contribute to their group, not just tag along. “Really it’s no trouble.”

Of course, she wouldn’t fight him if he insisted, but she didn’t want to weigh on him. So she followed closely, listening if he were to speak more. She had never really seen a city so calm, back east the cities were usually busy from sunrise to sunrise, so she wasn’t used to the eerie quiet of the motionless city. If it were a forest or field or other wilderness she wouldn’t be surprised at all, but it seemed a little dead when I never the city.

He looked over his shoulder for a quick glance towards Lin as she tried to convince him to let her pay. Takashi turned his attention back to the streets, evading a few kids who were running across the street, playing a game of catch.

Poor urchins, like himself in the past. A cold night gathering, and they had no better place to be than the streets.

"We won't have to pay anything, I have a... 'friend' here", he finally replied to the warrior lady, looking over towards one of the post signs in the distance, a guidance to the city's residents that the Port District was just up ahead.

Takashi swayed his head slightly, sweeping the corners of the vicinity with his eyes to see if they weren't being followed by anyone before crossing the guarded threshold to finally enter Elbion's lower districts, taking one of those long stairways down.

Almost half an hour later, they took a turn on one of the filth ridden streets and entered a fairly quiet alleyway illuminated by a few torches and the presence of a drunk man vomiting while leaning towards the dirty wall.

It was now possible to hear bits of music playing in the distance, and after reaching the end of the alleyway, they could now see a huge tavern nearby, as well as many people gathered outside, both in tables and on their feet.

He stopped, looking over to Lin after taking a careful look on the people there, too lost in their drinks and gossip to even notice them.

"Ugrath is inside, he's the owner. He'll let us stay in the back for a while, it's much quieter than here."

Sung Lin

So he insisted that they use his owed favor, alright so she wouldn’t press the issue further. She walked with him and asked, “so is this tavern also your potential lead or just a place to stay? And what exactly is this potential lead?”

She couldn’t really do much other than that. When they were let into the back she picked a sleeping spot and gave him some space, she was a small woman generally speaking so he’d have some room at least.