Open Chronicles Scones with Sigfrith: Silverglen

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Sigfrith Runecarver

Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
One of the great pleasures of being a full member of the College was his own space and a decent enough pay to cover his basic necessities. It gave him time enough to pursue the simpler pleasures in life. And for Sigfrith, that was scones. There were artistry and magic to them that rivaled the complexity and wonder of runes, with just as much precision and care required.

He had dismissed the baking crafts as a youth, but he had been a fool. Rune magic and stone carving had their places in life, but one couldn't eat rune stones. Nor could one truly connect with others over runes. If anything, they were divisive as there were those who sought out the secret runes as a way to gain new powers and capabilities.

But scones? Well, they could be cutthroat as well, but rarely, and not when they were freely shared. It was what often brought him to small village of Silverglen, just about a day's walk from Elbion. It was quieter here than the city, and while he was no Elf, he appreciated the more open green space and quiet of the central common.

He had arrived early in the morning and set up his little baking station, using a combination of Dwarven fire-skill and stone-art. He chose not to use runes for these, for they would distract from the experience. And like he did every few fortnights or so, Sigfrith began to bake, unpacking the supplies from his large pack. He did it all from scratch. He made the dough, shaped them, and then began setting them to bake, with a sharp eye on the fire and the oven.

It was delicate, ensuring the right heat and distribution to get the perfect texture and density, and he fussed about the contraption with deliberate, intentional moments to ensure the result was as perfect as he desired.

Once they were going steady, he set himself down on the ground and assembled some small stools, setting out crocks of jam and butter. The scones he gave away for free to any who would sit and eat with him. It was a chance opening for destiny and fate to work their wyrd and bring about the meetings ordained by them. All he needed was to sit and wait for who might arrive.

Kikwi walked down the quiet street, his small legs making for slow progress, but he was grateful just to be back in civilization. While he was typically happiest out in the wilds, the past weeks had been quite enough adventure for a while. He has sought out to join the College of Elbion, a dream of his for years, but the journey had proved far more difficult than he had anticipated.

While his appearance drew a few looks and double-takes, the townsfolk did not seem overly concerned with the small owl passing them by. Perhaps it was the proximity to Elbion that drew travelers of all persuasions, or perhaps they simply did not have the time or energy to spend on him. Whatever the case, it was a nice sort of quiet.

Upon teaching the village commons, Kikwi’s attention was immediately drawn to the warm glow and enticing aromas of Sigfrith’s cooking. His stomach growled, it had been so long since he’d had a warm meal.

He made his way over, oversized amber eyes watching the baker in interest. He felt his mouth water at the sight of the scones, warm butter and jam sitting nearby.

He stepped closer, as interested by the man as he was by the food. He was taller than Kikwi, but by a much smaller margin than normal.

“Good morning”, he said in a small voice. ”What are you making?”

• Yay
Reactions: Sigfrith Runecarver
Kikwi

Sigfrith concentrated on setting the scones carefully in the right order to preserve the warmth as long as possible. It was like building a forge, for heat emanated the same way, regardless of source. And something he had come to understand from the rune magery was creative repurposing.

A voice spoke and, out of old habits, he looked up. But there was no one there. It baffled him momentarily until he thought to look down where he saw a small, bird like figure. Kenku, his mind recalled after a moment. Rarer species than many others, small and diminutive.

Sigfrith rose and bowed to his companion, gesturing for him to take a seat. “Scones, Master Traveler. Be welcome and join me, if you would desire. Baked fresh this morning for any coming passerby who would share them with me as friends. I am Sigfrith Runecarver. Please, sit if you would.”

~ Sigfrith Runecarver ~

Kikwi clicked his beat in happiness as he was invited to sit. He clambered onto one of the stools as best he could, and smoothed down his robes as he sat. His feet dangled below him, and he eyed the baked goods. At Sigfriths' invitation, he took one of the scones. It was hot, but not too hot. The warmth was welcome, and Kikwi lifted it to his beak and took a nibble.

It was crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, much fluffier than the hard nut and seed cakes his mother had sometimes made. The dough was sweet, and Kikwi found himself taking another bite. It was delicious... but something was missing. Ah! But of course.

Kikwi reached into his robes and pulled out a small ink vial. The ink had long since been used up, and in its place were a number of small, dry mealworms. Popping the cork off the top, Kikwi sprinkled a few onto the scone, and took another bite. Delightful! A savory and crunchy dressing.

"I am Kikwi," he said, remembering his manners. He had become too excited by the new food and had forgotten to introduce himself. "And thank you very much Mr. Runecarver!" His new friend's name had interested him, though. Runecarver... a carver of... runes?

"What is a rune?" he asked suddenly. "Do you carve it like wood?"

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Sigfrith Runecarver
Kikwi

Sigfrith nodded as his new companion took a seat and a scone. The Dwarf took his own seat and picked up a scone, examining it critically for a moment before nodding. The sight of the small bird applying dried worms to the scone took him by surprise, but he kept it hidden within his face.

It took several breaths before it made sense. The newcomer was a bird, after all, even if as sentient and skilled as the humanoid races. Different species had different dietary needs and preferences. Satisfied, he tugged briefly at his beard before scraping butter and jam across his own scone.

"Well met, Kikwi," Sigfrith said after a long moment during which he chewed on the scone before nodding, satisfied in its quality. His eyebrows rose at the sudden question, but he smiled and nodded.

"Aye, one could carve runes into wood. Such material is appropriate in various contexts. I, and my clan, have always preferred to carve them in stone. As for what runes are..." His low voice trailed for a moment.

He pulled the dagger from his belt and knelt by the stool. Scraping at the dirt, he carved a basic shape. "This is a rune. It is a symbol, more or less, one that can wield great power when done properly."

Kikwi chewed the scone as best he could. He had no teeth, after all, but the soft dough was easy enough to break apart and swallow. He enjoyed watching Sigfrith speak. His features were large and striking, and his long beard almost hid his mouth as he spoke. Were it not for the naked skin on his hands and face, Kikwi might have thought he was speaking to a long-feathered member of his own kind.

Kikwi leaned forwards as the dwarf drew the shape into the dirt. So runes were symbols, and they could be carved into things. But how could a drawing hold power?

Setting down the half-eaten scone, he pulled out a thick notebook from the largest of his red robe's pockets. He lay it open on his lap and rifled through the pages. He passed drawings and sketches of various animals and plants that he had found on his journey, and many haphazard notes that were scrawled in all directions. Notes such as "muddy hop-toad: seven warts on back, three on head" and "yellow scrambler: too many legs to count." Finally he reached a blank page.

He took a piece of charcoal and traced the shape that Sigfrith had made. It was upside down, but otherwise a fair copy. He was just about to make the final lines when he stopped. The dwarf had said that these shapes held power... was it safe to draw in his book?

He cocked his head to the side one way, and then the other. "How does a symbol hold power? What kind of power?"

He had always asked questions. Incessant questions, impertinent even, depending on who you asked. He never meant to be rude, he simply wanted to know the answers. He had even been banned from a general store for several weeks for asking why the sky was blue, over and over and over again (why he thought the grocer would know the answer is a story for another time).

Sigfrith smiled at the sight of the small being sketching and taking notes. He caught glimpses of other sketches in the small notebook. So a scholar then? Or someone desiring to be a scholar? Either way, they had enthusiasm and initial productivity. Plus, he had the desire to ask questions, and the right questions at that.

"That is the great question in runic studies," Sigfrith said, adjusting his small sketch of a rune. "How do runes hold magic? No one truly knows, except that rune magic was the first of the magical disciplines. It follows all the laws of magic. But fundamentally, its power is the power to change small aspects of reality. Perhaps warding runes to protect against magic, or to strengthen an item."

He shrugged and buttered another scone. "If you can think of something to accomplish, you can use runes to bring it to fruition. I see you have many sketches in there. Are you a scholar, yourself?"

Kikwi stared hard at the mark on the ground. He decided that it was safe to finish his sketch, since his copy was not exact and the ground hadn't burst into flames so neither should his book... probably. He quietly clicked his beak in thought. If the magic was so old, how come no one had figured out something so basic? Then again, Kikwi had spent years observing the natural world and had just barely scratched the surface.

His attention was brought back to reality when he was asked about his book. He turned his head around to face the dwarf, his eyes bright. "I am!" he said proudly. While he had never had official schooling beyond the basics provided in his home village, he had been studying the plants and animals around his home since before he could remember. As soon as he could walk, Kikwi would toddle off into the edges of the woods around his village. They were safe enough, and the tightly-knit community knew to keep an eye on him if he started to stray too far. Soon he was catching and bringing back all sorts of creatures. Frogs, snakes, dragonflies, salamanders, spiders, ants, beetles, voles, songbirds, turtles, and worms. He named them all, and could recall the smallest details on command.

He turned his body to line up with his head, and held the notebook open so Sigfrith could see. "I have been keeping track of all the plants and animals from my adventure. I am going to join the College of Elbion, you see," he said proudly. "But, uh, it has taken much longer than I thought to get there."

Truth be told, for all his observations Kikwi knew very little about the world at large and had been fool enough to think he could travel all the way to Elbion on his own. Had it not been for some very lucky coincidences and very skilled companions he would not likely have survived the journey.

He held the notebook forward, "You can take a look, if you like! This is a twiggywicket," he said, pointing to a page with a long, stick-shaped bug, "and this," turning to another page, "Is when I found a very strange mushroom indeed."

Next to finding new speciments, there was nothing Kikwi loved more than sharing what he had learned.

Sigfrith leaned in over the table to examine the book and the drawings. They were quite good. Very detailed and excellently rendered. He nodded in approval. "Well done. You have collected some excellent sketches and work."

He leaned back and poured a tankard of ale from a jug that sat on the table, washing down the buttered scone. "The College of Elbion is it?" He kept a smile down from his face. "You're almost there now. Not much further to Elbion. What makes you wish to study there?"

Kikwi's feathers puffed a bit at the praise. Sigfrith was clearly very wise, knowing all about runes and such, so it was high praise to the little kenku.

Why the College of Elbion? What a very strange question. Surely everyone had heard about the College as he had: the greatest place of learning in the world. Kikwi had learned of the college from an old traveller that had visited his village a few years ago, bringing stories of the outside world.

Kikwi had always loved stories, especially from foreigners, and this man’s stories were the best. They talked about magic, new lands, and fantastic creatures. When Kikwi asked where he could find some adventures of his own, he was told about the great College. A place devoted to learning, where he could read for his entire life and never finish. Where great marble halls housed wizards and scholars. That was where Kikwi belonged.

The traveler returned over time, bringing more stories and more tidbits about the College (to answer Kikwi's incessant questions). All the while Kikwi had prepared until he came of age and set out on his own.

He looked at Sigfrith, slightly confused. "Because the College is the greatest place of learning in the world!" he parroted. "I know all about the woods where I'm from, but if I want to be a true scholar I need to know about everything!" He sat back upon the stool and turned his notebook to an early page. This one had a rough drawing of a small fish. "I found this in a small creek," he said. "We don't have many fish in the woods. But my friend told me that there are great big giant fish that live in oceans, which are like creeks that are bigger than whole mountains!" He looked up into the distance, imagining. "I want to learn about all the plants and animals in the world. And Elbion is the place to do that." He had dreamt about the great libraries for ages, it seemed.

"Someone told me that they only take students who know magic," he said, quieter now. He looked at his hands, small and clawed, without a shred of magical ability in them. "I can't do that. But! I'm sure if I show them all the work I've done," he pointed to the notebook, "they'll see that I don't need magic to be useful!" His voice was confident, and he hoped that it was true.

He remembered what his mother told him. It wasn't polite to talk too much without letting other people have a word. "Have you been to the college?" he asked. "I bet they'd like your runes a lot."

• Yay
Reactions: Nicodemus
Sigfrith considered the words of the kenku and then nodded “Ambitious, then, and bold. I suppose it is the greatest center of learning.” A smile rippled beneath his beard for several moments. “Although to study everything is quite an accomplishment. Never knew any to do such a thing.”

He rolled out another batch of dough for fresh biscuits again. “I have been to the college. They are quite appreciative of the runes.”

A laugh rumbled from his throat. “I am a professor there in fact.”

Kikwi squeaked abruptly and toppled off of his stool. He got up and dusted himself off, then looked up at Sigfrith, his eyes wider than ever.

"A pa... a professor?!" He smoothed his brick-red robes as best he could and scurried closer. He had so many thoughts in his head at once. There were so many things to say that they all jumbled up in his throat and he couldn't say any of them at all. He opened and closed his beak several times before figuring out what to do with himself.

"Oh wonderful!" he managed to say. "Then you can help me become a student!"

As was true of many aspects of the great wide world, Kikwi did not know anything about the College's application process, nor their acceptance requirements. Yes, he knew they preferred those with magic, but he had at least three scorpions in his robes along with many leaves and hundreds of illustrations, surely that would suffice?

It mattered not, for his mind was already swirling with fantastic images of castles, libraries, and fancy wizards drinking tea (you know, college).

A deep chuckled rumbled from Sigfrith's chest at Kikwi's response. Perhaps a bit exaggerated, but if he knew of Elbion only by the reputation, it was perhaps understandable. For many, it was half-legend rather than real. "I would hardly consider my position as deserving of such a response," Sigfrith said calmly, applying more butter to another batch of scones.

"And I can certainly do some in helping you become a student. Perhaps not as much as you would hope. But some. I can help prepare you for the tests and trials for admittance and speak what I can to the Foard."

He linked his fingers together for a moment before shrugging. "But why not? Let us see what we can accomplish."

• Cheer
Reactions: Kikwi
Kikwi positively vibrated with excitement. His journey thus far had involved monsters, sellswords, and no shortage of bad weather, but now it was all going to be worth it! Sigfrith was humble, as befitted his position no doubt.

"Oh thank you, thank you!" Kikwi said with bright eyes. He bit into another scone, not seeming to truly notice the action as he did it, just something for his overly active body to do with itself.

Kikwi had expected tests, the traveller to his village had told him that much. Trials he knew less about, but he had heard some stories of magical feats performed by hopeful admittees. There was one word he didn't know, though.

"What is the Foard?" he asked.

Sigfrith nodded solemnly as Kikwi responded to the news. The Dwarf restrained himself from raising an eyebrow, but instead waiting for his companion to settle down again. "It is of no matter," he replied to the first gush of thanks. "We all welcome those who are motivated and intelligent."

Or at least, he did. Some of the others, he wasn't so sure about, but this would be the perfect opportunity to draw them out.

"And the Foard is those in charge of accepting students, more or less," he finished. "It takes roughly a year to become a member of the College."

• Yay
Reactions: Kikwi
Kikwi quieted a big. A year? That was a very long time, especially for him. Kenku were quick of mind but also quick to age. He would be lucky to reach 70 years. Nevertheless, a great opportunity demanded a great commitment. He would work harder than ever before and make the most of the time he was given.

if Sigfrith’s words were true, then Kikwi had little to fear. What he lacked in experience he made up for in wit. He had much to learn, much indeed, but he would learn it quickly. He had been very fortunate in that whenever he did see something new, he didn’t seem to forget it. He could still leaf through vivid memories of every plant, animal, and stone he had uncovered. His notebook was a poor imitation of the library in his head.

He finished his second scone, now quite full. ”How do we start?” he asked. The youthful sparkle in his eye had been replaced by a steadier light. A hot flame of determination burned within him, reignited after his hard journey by new hope.

His mother’s voice echoed in his head again, reminding him to slow down and think about what other people may be thinking and what they may want to do. ‘Few people move as quickly as you, little one,’ she had said.

”Um, if you are ready...” he added sheepishly.