Open Chronicles Rest for the Weary

A roleplay open for anyone to join

T’suris Flameblade

Mercenary for Hire
Character Biography
Link
South of Merchant City

With the sun on the horizon, the caravan had decided to make camp for the night - which was just as well because T'suris was tired of running after it. Sluggishly he wandered through the wagons, carts, and the animals (and sometimes Komodi) that pulled them, greeting those he knew with a gaze and a slight nod. He glanced the tent he was after - bleached white covered in large, red paint swatches - but found who he was looking for gone.

Looking around with a frown, his dark blue eyes finally caught sight of his younger sister, gazing longingly at a roll of brushes tucked into the corner of a wagon.

"Hey you," he said quietly with a small smile.

"T'suris!" cried the small , russet-coloured Komodi when she turned around. Jumping, she wrapped her arms around his neck. and buried her face into his chest. His smile grew a little warmer, if not a little bigger, as he wrapped his arms around her small frame. For the next half an hour he was badgered by questions from the thin Komodi - too thin, in T'suris's opinion. And he badgered her about eating enough and she questioned him about his next contract.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Some tourist wants to go the Forbidden City 'the hidden way'," T'suris rolled his eyes. "Probably got some map from a swindler and now they're convinced they'll find some treasure or other along the way." T'suris rolled his shoulders, glancing around out of habit. "Oh well. Keeps the coin flowing."

Suddenly reaching into a pocket, he thrust a small pouch towards his sister.

"Here." the small bag clinked - and looked heavy.

"Oh, T'Suri..." his sister's shoulders drooped.

"No, I mean it. Take them. I saw you - eyeing up those brushes. Take this - I know how much you've been dying to paint."

"Really?" she perked up.

"Really."

His sister squealed with delight, took the bag, and ran back to the tent.

"Look after her, will you?" T'suris asked a Komodi setting up her tent for the night as another feminine Komodi started a small fire.

"Sure," she replied with a nod to her companion.

"I won't be long."

Turning from his sibling he began his way back to the edge of the Caravan, into the cool night air.

The canvas topped wagons and hand carts were a comfort of familiarity as Avrael walked with the procession, carrying her own needs in a wood framed pack. These were not her clan, but the Komodi were her people, and she often flitted from one caravan to another to maintain whatever general direction she desired. Travelling alone was something she avoided whenever possible, though she found being solo in the busier villages and towns to be acceptable.

Avrael stretched her arms above her head and inhaled deeply of the smells of camp as tents grew up from the ground and fires were lit. Most groups were pulling meager portions from their supplies, but a few had decadently scented teas and properly salted meats - gourmet dining, by Avrael's standards. Her stomach rumbled, so she removed her pack and retrieved a withered apple and a few strips of dried snake meat.

It was at that moment that she noticed the lone masculine komodo leaving the caravan. A strange time to be leaving, when everyone else was just getting settled for the night. Avrael shrugged her pack back onto her shoulders and jogged to catch up with him, tail swinging steadily behind like a pendulum keeping rhythm.

"Hey!" Avrael called, coming up beside him. She held out a piece of jerky. "Have you eaten?"

T'suris kept walking, winding around campfires adorned with simmering pots and boiling kettles. It took him a moment to realize he was being address - he blinked his slitted eyes quickly and turned, suddenly aware it was he who was being addressed.

"Not yet," he admitted to the smaller komodo, slowing his stride, and tail slowly swishing from side to side, the only indication of his possible irritation at being potentially retained. He glanced down and was surprised at the feminine Komodo's attire - much more ornate than those he was familiar with in this travelling caravan, and certainly more decorative than his own simple garb. He had almost made it to the edge of the rows of tents - most of the komodo were busying themselves with their evening meal, and the smells of cooking meats reached his nose and he suddenly realized just how hungry he actually was.

"What tribe are you from?" he asked, his steps now slow but still moving forward, "Are you also headed to Elbion?"

Avrael kept stride with the other russet Komodo, noting their similar colouring - but different pattering. Her bright eyes glanced at his blued skalla peeking out in places. Skalla was something Avrael hadn't yet earned - but there was time yet. The corner of her lip quirked when she noticed the flick of his tail.

She raised an eyebrow and waggled the dried meat at him, then took a bite for herself. He didn't seem to be making any effort to eat, and she wasn't about to waste good food.

Avrael swept around an untended campfire that they approached and returned to walking by the male's side. "I'm from the Ri'ad Nya clan. Originally not far from here, but my family is currently a long way east. I'm not needed for this season's rituals," she shrugged. Avrael could have stayed with her clan's caravan and performed rituals, working towards her skalla, but once they were earned she would have greater responsibilities. Instead, she chose to grow in world knowledge first. The rituals would always be needed.

"And I am," she replied brightly. She had heard of great marketplaces and crowds of all sorts in Elbion. Exactly the sort of place she wanted to explore. "Are you going now? We shouldn't travel alone, you know."

T'suris pursed his dark lips a little when she waggled the dried meat at him. He kept the anger from flashing in his eyes, but not without some difficulty: she couldn't know his history, being from another caravan, and how many times Komodi with too much time and too little empathy had waggled food in his face and had then laughed at him when he was just a childling trying to provide for his even younger sister.

T'suris' expression hardened and fell a little at the mention of rituals. It wasn't the shorter Komodo's fault though...it was the Komodi way, even if it the religious practices and superstitious rituals grated against the very fiber of his being. He resigned himself: This one is just like the rest.

"Yes, I seem to recall something about the Ri'ad Nya," he lied. It wasn't that he'd never encountered them, it was just that he'd been to so many different caravans they all started blurring together after a while. Besides, the details didn't matter - only finding work, and work that paid (and paid well), was what mattered to him. There was little time in his life for thoughts on much else.

"No, I'm not going now," he admitted, "But..." he raised his chin, obviously uncomfortable, "I must procure an evening meal for myself and my sibling." He would never admit openly that he was ashamed of having no food, especially since he gave his entire earnings from his last contract to his sister for her brushes, but his body language betrayed him, if only in a small portion.

The shift in body language was enough to result in Avrael walking half a step further out from the other komodo. She wasn't looking for a fight - quite the opposite. She was looking for some casual companionship. Regardless of whether she stayed with the caravan tonight or not, it would be hours before she settled down.

She looked at him sidelong with a slight crease in her brow. They are very stony. Avrael was simply making friendly conversation and couldn't determine what she might have done to annoy this fellow so. Admittedly, he hadn't exactly invited her to join him, but neither had he told her to go away.

"Oh." So he wasn't leaving tonight. Well, that was a bit of a disappointment. Unless another member of the caravan decided to make way for Elbion this evening, then Avrael would also have to delay her travel. She wasn't in a true hurry, at least. Simply eager to make it to the city.

"Oh!" A meal was such a simple task. Was he dense, or just proud? "My offer was honest," Avrael stated, regarding her sharing of sustenance. "And if you'll tolerate my company, I can often persuade a few niceties from our fellow travelers with a performance." It has been a boring day of travel with no artistry at all. Avrael was eager to flex her muscles, and had a strong desire for the spiced teas they had passed at one camp.

"Offer?" T'suris asked, genuinely startled so much so that he slowed to a stop, turning towards the dark-haired komodo. So, she hadn't been taunting him?

"I..." T'suris stammered, completely taken off guard. This komodo was a strange one - T'suris couldn't recall anyone offering him a meal before, nevermind coming up and actively speaking with him first in such a casual way.

"I would be honoured to share your company," he said with a small bow, his demeanor softening as the corners of his lips turning up into the slightest of smiles. It would take a few hours before he would be able to secure a decent-sized meal - the caravans scarred away most big game, though feathered and furred scavengers often followed the group, picking up scraps left behind (not that there were many).

"If it's not too much trouble - do you have enough for two more?" he asked. Though his expression gave away nothing of his embarrassment, his cheeks turning a little darker. The change in his colour was difficult to distinguish in the flickering camplight, as the sun had almost completely set. "I can replenish your stores tomorrow."

Dense. He was dense. Avrael's expression was tight with a tiny bemused smile as she tried not to either laugh or roll her eyes at him in disbelief. Why else would she have proffered her rations to him?

She cleared her throat and returned the other komodo's moderate bow. Avrael might struggle with keeping a neutral expression, but she had been raised at least to have manners and courtesy. Even if she thought 'honoured' was something of a strong word for accepting her presence. It wasn't as though she was of any high order. The blue decals on his body in fact indicated that he was of higher rank than she in komodi culture. Avrael was glad to see the him finally smiling at least.

Reaching into her pocket and grabbing the taller komodo's hand, she pressed everything she had retrieved from the bag into his grasp. "I don't have much," Avrael clarified, "But there are those who do." She nodded in the direction of a gathered group of tents that were without rough patchwork and boasted high ceilings, set off slightly away from the clusters of smaller, tattier travel accommodations.

"Do you play any instruments?" Avrael asked. She was skeptical, to be honest, but one never knew what hidden talents another might have. "Or perhaps sing?" At the very least the other komodo had two hands and would therefore be able to clap.

T'suris frowned as Avrael pressed something into his hand. He raised a scaled eyebrow at her, slightly confused.

"Do I play any...instruments," he said, giving her an expression as if to say, You're joking, right?

"...No," he added slowly. She's GOT to be joking, he thought further to himself, but something in the back of his mind told him she wasn't. He began itching for the quiet, cool air of solitude once again.

Sing?! What have I gotten myself into? he thought with a sigh, Do I LOOK like I sing?

"No, this one does not sing," he added, "...but my sibling might." He didn't want to speak for his little sister, but it sounded like something she would be into. "We can go ask her if you like," he added, then turned without waiting for an answer and walked beyond the tents back the way he had come to go find her - which wasn't difficult as she came running around the tents and almost ran into him.

"T'suris!" she scolded, "You left again." Placing her hands solidly on her skinny hips, she glared at him, only half angry. "We talked about this - you have to say goodbye before you leave." Her bottom lip trembled ever so slightly. "You promised."

Last edited:
Her skepticism had evidently not been unfounded. The questions had still be worth asking, at the very least. Avrael couldn't stop the grin that spread her lips at his disbelieving expression. She hadn't been joking, and it appeared the other komodo found that hard to believe.

"I believe everyone with a voice sings," Avrael rebuffed, following the taller being back the way they had come. "Simply some do not sing in the presence of others."

T'suris? Ah! Avrael turned an unplanned-for chuckle into a cough as the masculine komodo was told off by the youngster. She took a moment to look away from the pair, feigning disinterest, and composed herself. Family affairs were different for all clans, and she didn't intend to show them any disrespect.

"That was my fault," Avrael offered, bowing her head slightly towards the small feminine. "We went for a walk, but T'suris wasn't actually leaving." Her canary eyes skipped towards T'suris, her expression somewhere between a threat of 'don't you dare tell the girl I'm lying' and the kindness of 'take this opportunity I'm giving you'.

"I'm Avrael of the Ri'ad Nya," she bowed from her waist to the youngster. "It's lovely to make your acquaintance."

"I'm sorry, loveling," T'suris said to his younger sibling, using his clan's term of endearment as he rested his hands on her shoulders, "I didn't mean to be gone for long."

"Oh, hello," his younger sister said, blinking her dark blue eyes, her sorrow immediately forgotten as she stepped around her brother to meet the new Komodo, "It's nice to meet you." She bowed a little at the waist, despite being significantly shorter than both adult Komodi's.

"Not gone for long, was it?" the short Komodi's eyes flashed, "You never say goodbye or tell me what you're doing or where you're going! One minute you're there, the next you're gone - you could be back in five minutes, or five weeks!" She huffed, shoving the taller russet Komodo harshly with a sizable amount of her strength, though T'suris barely moved. It was clear the juvenile Komodo wasn't taking Avrael's words at face value, personal experience overriding the yellow-eyed Komodi's attempts to help T'suris. T'suris rolled his eyes and gave a small sigh, evidently unfazed by his younger siblings distress.

"Avrael was just....looking for a singer to join her," T'suris added, giving a sidelong look at Avrael, as if discerning her intent, "I know how much you enjoy singing - and dancing - as well as your painting."

"Singing?" his younger sister cried, clasping her hands together, "Yes, I'd love to!"

Avrael's smile softened at the sibling bickering. There was clearly a lot of love and care between them. Even if that included yelling. The juvenile was made of tough stuff. And also easily pleased, it seemed.

"That is most excellent." Avrael smiled brightly at the youngster's enthusiasm. "Tell me while we walk - what songs do you know? Do you have any for dancing?" She lightly touched T'suris' sibling on the shoulder, steering her slightly towards the bigger tents. Avrael caught T'suris' eye to make sure he followed.

When they were just on the outer ring of the light of the campfire, beyond where a semicircle of well dressed komodi were sat eating and talking, Avrael pulled off her pack and placed it gently on the ground. Opening the top flap, she rummaged for a moment before pulling out a circular instrument with flat metal discs around the edge that rattled against each other. She handed it to T'suris. "You clap with it," she instructed.

T'suris hung back as the two feminine Komodi walked before him, crossing his dark arms over his chest and, for all the world, looked to be darkly brooding. His sister remained unphased, babbling happily to Avrael, telling the older Komodi all about the songs of the caravan she had learned, and how she had picked up a few songs from Elbion last time she was there, and how she'd watched the locals dance in their weird, human way - "It's so weird to see someone dancing without a tail." - and on and on and on...

T'suris sighed just as Avrael caught his eye. He quirked an eyebrow as if to ask what it was she wanted, but said nothing. He hung back as well when they reached the campfire of some of the richer Komodi - Komodi T'suris made a point of avoiding, though his sister seemed to hardly notice, continuing to babble on as if she hadn't spoken to another living being in weeks.

T'suris blinked at the instrument handed to him, looked up at Avrael with his indigo-blue eyes, and handed the instrument to his sister, who took an immediate liking to the device and began shaking it, then clapping with it.

"I think I've seen one of these before!" the small Komodi exclaimed happily, shaking it above her head. T'suris moved even further back towards the edge of the circle, mingling with the shadows. He tipped his chin towards his sister and Avrael, arms still crossed over his chest, as if to say, 'Go ahead then.'

As they walked, Avrael latched onto one of the songs the younger komodi had mentioned, as it was one that Avrael knew. She voiced her pleasure at the shared knowledge and gave the girl some instruction on the performance they would be doing.

When T'suris handed the instrument away to his sister, Avrael spread her hands outwards in an irritated questioning gesture. Her expression cleared said Seriously? that the masculine komodo was evidently avoiding any participation in this activity. Rolling her eyes at him, she crouched next to her bag again and pulled out numerous bangles, anklets with countless tiny bells, and a piece of gossamer blue fabric that was twice her armspan. She donned the accessories, slid the fabric around her bank and folded in over each elbow, then walked into the firelight with the tinkling, jingling, and clinking of her attire.

"My friends," she directed at the wealthier Komodi. Her voice was soft but strong, and compelling. Avrael's arms were spread wide, the length of material fluttering lightly, her expression a smile that demanded attention. "I am come as your evening entertainment, with a dance from my tribe and a song I believe most of us know." She nodded to T'suris' sibling, who began shaking the tambourine lightly, the sound building up. "And all we ask in return, is for your hospitality in the form of a meal for myself and my two companions."

Avrael began to clap in time with the tremble of the tambourine, her own bangles added to the musical din, and her body swayed as the juvenile's voice lifted in song. The performance grew in tempo, Avrael's body spinning and dipping and leaping with years of training and practice and pleasure in the dance. Every part of her body moved with fluidity, from the swish of her hair to the swing of her tail, sometimes sweeping down to be rooted to the ground on all fours and other times airbourne for what felt like an eternity. Her smile grew as she heard the audience begin clapping along, even some adding voices to the song. She was in her element, and it showed.

The dance went on for the entire length of the song, some several minutes, and came to a twirling finale with Avrael's arms stretched high above her head, fingers pointed to the heavens, and the gossamer fabric floated to the ground in a crescent around her body. Her chest rose and fell with exuberance and she beamed even brighter as applause broke out. With a flick of her tail she bowed deeply, and thanked those watching for their gracious attention.

As requested, three wooden plates were prepared with healthy portions, which Avrael took over to T'suris and his sibling. The only thing she had missed asking for? That sweet smelling spiced tea!

((Godmode permission granted to T'suris for character movement, as discussed OOC! :) ))

T'suris watched, quietly impressed with Avrael's movement and dance - she was practiced, certainly, but she had talent as well, and T'suris couldn't help but be moved. His sister seemed to be having a great time, her face beaming, clearly happy to be a part of Avrael's performance.

"That was AMAZING!" T'suris's sister exclaimed, eagerly taking the plate of food from Avrael's hand.

T'suris took his own plate as it was handed to him, glancing up at the wealthier Komodi who were smiling and chatting amoungst themselves, clearly pleased with the performance (and the price they paid). He was only ever used to seeing scowls on their faces - it was a strange change for him to witness.

"Eat up," T'suris told his sister, "It's almost time to rest." Her face fell a little, but she did as her older brother instructed.

"You are clearly a well-trained dancer," T'suris complimented Avrael between bites of food, "Thank you for sharing with us," he added, lifting the plate of food to make his point. "We don't have much," he continued, glancing at his small sibling, "But you're welcome to share our sleeping space for the night - unless you have your own arrangements already made, of course."

Was that a dark blush creeping up the scales on his neck? His younger sibling blinked at him in surprise, but said nothing, chewing her food slowly as if she wasn't quite sure if she had heard her brother correctly. T'suris cleared his throat, paying a little bit more attention as he finished his food, which was actually quite delicious if he actually paused to think about and appreciate the flavours on the plate he held.

Avrael nodded lightly in acknowledgement of the youngster's compliment, her own face still alight from the exhilaration of the performance. She could dance every day of her life and the pleasure of the act would never wear away.

Avrael spoke a very brief, almost-silent prayer of thanks to the gods of the rains for the blessing of a proper meal, then tucked into the goodly pile on the simple plate. Buns! A delicacy she had not enjoyed for a very long time. Fruits that were without bruise or blemish, something baked in a brown sauce, and a link of sausage. The wealthier komodi must have some enchanted box to be able to travel with such foods.

"Thank you," Avrael replied, pleased that T'suris had apparently paid attention. She had halfway expected him to go somewhere away from the fire where he could ignore the festivity until she was done. "My clan dances daily. I can't remember a day of my life with my family where we did not take such joy in our bodies."

"And I am glad to share - meals are always more enjoyable with company." Her regard flickered between T'suris and his younger sibling at the offer of accommodations, the corner of her lip turned up with a touch of amusement. Avrael mopped a piece of bread in the brown sauce, savouring the saltiness, and chewed thoughtfully as if needing great time to consider the options. "It would be a pleasure to share your space for this night."

T'suris took his sisters plate once she was finished, and offered to take Avrael's plate as well, taking them back to the wealthy Komodi and placing them a respectful distance away, nodding his thanks. They gave him a wary smile, glancing at Avrael once more and nodding to her with a more amicable expression.

"Then let's set up camp for the night," T'suris said as he walked back to the two feminines, then turning to his sister he added, "I must leave for Elbion early in the morning. Another contract has come up." her face fell a little, but she nodded, turning back towards their small cart. T'suris placed his hand on his sister's shoulder before she got too far. "And maybe next time we'll have enough for a donkey, so you don't have to pull that cart all by yourself." The small russet-coloured face cheered up a little at that.

T'suris turned back to Avrael. "This way," he said, nodding his head in the direction of their cart.

When they reached their cart, T'suris began pulling out thin tent canvas, spreading it over the sand, placing it in such a way to provide space beneath for sleeping (which wasn't much). He kept the ends of the canvas down with a few large rocks. His sister nestled down to sleep, curling into a small ball like a cat, wrapping her russet tail around her small frame and snuggling into the sand that was still a little warm from the earlier rays of the sun. T'suris gave her tail a small pat, then turned to Avrael, gesturing to the spot next to his sister, a small, sad smile on his lips, as if he were humbled, and embarrassed, about their sleeping arrangements.

"I'm not tired just yet," he lied.

Avrael hung back a little behind the siblings, giving them some privacy. The juvenile was bright and lively, but it seemed life wouldn't be too long before it started to bear down on her shoulders and likely result in the same stony attitude as T'suris. Their life here was much different from Avrael's own time in her family caravan.

A quick assessment of the little wagon was enough to determine it was likely a nuisance to pull, if not difficult, especially in the soft sand tracks. A donkey would be a fit solution. Komodi were not beasts of burden. Avrael made no comment though - it was not her place, or her responsibility.

The feminine placed her own pack in the sand against a side of the wagon, and opened the top flap to put away her dance wear. The bag was somewhat overstuffed until she pulled out a billowing, hooded, fur-edged lapis cloak. Shaking out the folds, Avrael knelt under the thin tent and spread the garment over the youngster. Re-emerging from the humble accommodations, she also retrieved a light bedroll from her pack, which suddenly looked rather deflated within the wooden frame.

Sitting in the sand, Avrael raised her jewel-studded brows at T'suris. "We have walked all day, and we shall walk more tomorrow, as our people are wont to do. We all need rest. And we three should be pleasantly warm this night curled up together." She smiled slightly and tipped her head to the side, chocolate hair spilling over her shoulder. "Much better than sleeping alone."

T'suris went quietly to the fire as Avrael unpacked, crossing his arms and staring into the flames. One of the blue feminines from earlier came up to him, nodding in acknowledgement to him.

"That one pulls the cart without complaint," the blue Komodo noted, of T'suris's younger sibling, concern on their face, "But an animal would help."

"This one knows," T'suris said, "And is working on it." The blue Komodo nodded respectfully, dipping back towards their cart with a slow swoosh of a blue tail. T'suris sighed. It seemed like everyone had something to say with regard to him and his sibling. He looked back in time to see Avrael raising her brows at him. He sighed - the feminine was right. He uncrossed his arms and walked back towards the two feminines, crossing his legs as he sat down on the sand.

"Good night, Avrael," he said with a gentle nod, curling up next to his sister and Avrael's bedroll.

It was a quiet night overall, the fires burning down as each Komodo finished their evening meal and meandered into whatever sleeping arrangements they had. They were all tired - the caravan had been travelling for days, and would travel still more until it reached the coastline and the small towns and ports the Komodi could barter and trade with: many of them had brought up wares from the south, hoping to make a profit.

T'suris woke early in the morning, as the horizon began to lighten but before the sun had dawned. He yawned and stretched, curling his tail and he toes, cracking his neck from one side to the other. With a sigh he turned and gave his sister a small pat, kissing her lightly on one of her horns. She mumbled incoherently and stirred, but did not wake.

"I'll see you soon, Loveling," he said quietly, then began packing a light, woven backpack with a few essentials for the road, ready to head to Elbion and, ideally, more gold.

Avrael slept well that night, enjoying the comfort of nearby bodies and needing the rest after the day's journey.

She rolled onto her side under her light blanket, and came gradually to awareness that there was movement about. Covering a yawn with her hand, the russet komodo sat up groggily and saw T'suris collecting his things. Avrael rubbed her eyes and pushed the hair back out of her face.

"Time to leave?" she asked softly, so as not to wake the youngster; her voice was slightly hoarse with its first use. Avrael looked over her shoulder at T'suris sibling and grimaced as realized she would need to retrieve the cloak the juvenile was snugly wrapped up in. Apologetically, she gently unwrapped her garment from the small body, replacing it instead with the plain blanket.

Ducking out from the thin tent, Avrael donned the blue robe to stave off the morning chill and checked her pack to ensure she wasn't missing anything. Satisfied all was as usual, the feminine pulled the straps over her shoulders. "Your sibling may keep the bedroll," Avrael nodded toward the tent. "I can buy another when we get to Elbion."

Inhaling deeply, her canary gaze turned north, ready to leave.

T'suris nodded quietly at Avrael as he finished up the last of his packing, holstering two scimitars, several daggers, a crossbow, and grabbing a spear, careful as he could be not to wake his younger sibling. He felt colour creep up his neck when the feminine offered her bedroll to his sibling, but said nothing, quietly hoisting his backpack onto his back and taking his leave. His sibling stirred, murmured something that sounded like, "see you soon," and fell quickly back asleep.

"This way," he said quietly, tilting his head northward before he turned, weaving his way through the carts and the tents, occasionally passing a rather loud snoring group before reaching the edge of the caravan. The sand shifted beneath his clawed feet, hampering his attempts to walk quietly through the camp.

"That was a kind thing you did," T'suris told Avrael once they'd passed far enough beyond the edges of the caravan, though he still kept his voice relatively low.

Avrael failed at stifling another yawn as she followed T'suris away from their small campsite. Waking before the sunrise was not one of her favourite activities, but given she has chosen to accompany the masculine komodo to the city and not the other way around she wasn't about to make any comment on the schedule.

"The pair of you provided me with company and a safe place to sleep," she replied, walking next to T'suris. She may have shrugged as if it were nothing, but she recognized that to her companion the gift was meaningful. "I am happy to share what I have." It helped that Avrael had in her possession a small pouch of coins and enough of her jewelry to sell in the city that she knew purchasing a replacement bedroll would be easy enough.

They walked for quite a while in silence, the sand shifting beneath their steps and the sun lifting above the horizon to spread its light across the world. The edge of the city came into view as something occurred to Avrael. She debated voicing the question, and in that debate she realized she may never meet T'suris again.

"That is not your clan's caravan, is it, T'suris?" she asked gently, casting a sidelong look at him. The situation with his sibling had nagged at Avrael for the full trek.

T'suris smirked at Avrael's question, watching the sun quietly peak over the hills, feeling unusually at peace despite himself.

"One would think that, wouldn't one?" T'suris replied a little bitterly, thought the bitterness was not directed at Avrael herself, "Sadly, that is my clan's caravan. One of them, at least."

He sighed heavily, his shoulders drooping as his footsteps dug deeper into the sand.

"My parents disappeared when I was young, and my sibling barely more than a fledgling," T'suris began, keeping his gaze towards their destination, his expression pained, "One of the shamans...they said something that put the rest of the caravan on edge. The caravan had a...disagreement. There was a divide amoungst the Komodi, and the caravan ended up splitting. The Komodi from either caravan have not been terribly friendly to us - to me - since then."

T'suris sighed again before continuing.

"They seem to treat my sibling well enough, though they do little to help her," he said angrily, "They complain much to me about her situation, but do little about it themselves." T'suris could feel himself grinding his teeth as he spoke, and took a deep breath to clear his head, closing his eyes momentarily. He told himself it would do no good to dwell on what others did, only to focus on what he could do, and what he had done already, to assist himself and his sibling's situation.

Avrael's eyes widened in disbelief at T'suris's revelation, lips parting as she became slack-jawed as his explanation continued. It was inconceivable to the feminine komodo that any clan would treat their own with such detachment. True, Avrael had not spent a significant amount of time with T'suris and his sibling, but she had walked with the caravan for over a week and had not noticed any of the komodi treat her present companion with any true kindness.

Shaking her head, Avrael marched on next to T'suris with fury in her heart. The caravan had offered no qualms about her travelling with them, and so she had viewed the group as welcoming (which was not true of a komodi travelling groups, she had discovered in the past). T'suris's story had radically changed her view of the group. To be from such a clan... it was no wonder he was so taciturn. Avrael's rage became more bearable and began melting away as an idea occurred to her, offering hope of a brighter future for the juvenile who showed so much promise.

"My clan would take in your sibling." Avrael had been born within her family's caravan, but she knew of more than one komodo who had been adopted during their travels. At least one had come from a poor family of hunter-gatherers who had struggled through a summer of drought and plague to have nothing saved for the winter when the caravan passed them late in the autumn. "You would need to find a way for the youngling to travel east, and a guide to find my caravan once they arrived. But with the spirit that one demonstrated last night, your sibling would make a fine rain dancer."

"Thank you," T'suris said, looking over at the golden-eyed Komodi, "That is gracious of you. Truthfully I had been thinking of leaving our caravan, but without a means to protect ourselves or carry our supplies, it would be dangerous with just the two of us."

"Your clan's caravan is to the east?" T'suris asked as the walls of Elbion came distinctly into view, "Yes, I think she would like that immensely. She's always been into the arts - painting and singing especially. It was she who gave me my Skalla." T'suris gestured to the pale blue designs on his face and neck. He neglected to add that it was against the wishes of the shamans - which may have lead to some increased hostilities from his clan members towards him. They had all assumed he had pressured his sibling into it - only a few had guessed the truth, that she had insisted, and he had relented.

He looked out towards the city again, looking for any paths to the gates as the ground slowly became more solid, the sand giving way to rocky earth beneath their claws.

"What takes you to Elbion, Avrael?" he asked at least, realizing for the first time he had no idea why she was going there - and that he may not see her again after they parted.

Last edited: