Private Tales Reluctant Visitors

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Evelyn Briarthorne

Inquisitive
Cherry Rose Inc.
Character Biography
Link
Evelyn lifted her gaze from the heavy tome that she had just finished reading and rubbed her eyes. Maester's Grimoire of Advanced Daemonology and the Application Thereof. It had been such an engrossing read that she hadn't noticed the passing of time. "Hmm... Morning already..." Hoisting herself out of the large armchair, she stretched and yawned. "I see Lucy's still asleep..." With another yawn Evelyn retrieved the book and stuck it on the gigantic bookshelf that covered the entirety of the long wall behind her.

Grabbing a pouch filled with coins, Evelyn made her way outside and onto the street and to a small bookshop. She gave the elven shopkeeper a blank stare as he warmly greeted her. "...Hello..." she intoned finally, setting the pouch of coins on the counter. "Got anything new?" The shopkeeper rubbed his hands together gleefully and nodded. "Yes! Yes! Of course I do! I believe you'll love this one! Just arrived from Elbion and was printed recently!" He scurried out to his back room, quickly returning with a long thin book. Fundamental Curses, Hexes, and Invocations for Aspiring Witches. Greedily snatching the book out of his hands, Evelyn dumped out the coins and waited impatiently as the shop owner counted out them out. Once the payment had been taken care of, she scooped up the remaining coins and rushed out of the shop, back towards home.

On her way, Evelyn stopped to feed off a sleeping barmaid in an alleyway behind a tavern, relishing in the metallic taste of the warm blood. Wiping her mouth, she hurried the rest of the way home.

Entering the room, Evelyn was not surprised to see her cousin still sleeping. "Hey... Lucy..." Evelyn said in her quiet monotone voice. "...Lucy..." she repeated, a very slight annoyed edge creeping into her voice. This was getting her nowhere. Flipping open the book she had just bought, Evelyn randomly picked out a spell and read it out. "Calorulum Verime Ineyaate Ahdius Raiioal" Her frown deepened as the incantation had no effect on her sleeping cousin. Well it had been worth a try... After a moment's thought, the corner of her mouth twisted upwards in a nasty grin, revealing a small razor sharp fang as an idea popped into her head. Raising the book, Evelyn brought it down, roughly smacking the back of Lucy's head with a loud WHAP! Her mouth quickly reset to its default frown as the young woman stirred. "Get up Lu... You said you would go with me to visit people today." Taking her book, she returned to her armchair, ignoring Lucy's cursing, and read while Lucy got ready.

Lucinda Lavelle

Last edited:
  • Bless
  • Haha
Reactions: Urchin and Lucinda
The voice was beautiful, calling her name softly in a song. "Lucinda...." The voice beckoned her, other voices joining as a choir, summoning her. The waves crashed against the side of her ship as her and a crew sailed through the stormy night in search of those voices. "Come here dear, we are waiting for you....dear Lucy...."

Lucinda ran to the edge of the ship as one of the crew waved her over, pointing out a soft glow in the distance. The musical voices seemed to be coming from that direction. Lucinda nodded and the crew prepared to turn the ship in search of the voices promising treasures beyond her wildest dreams.

Suddenly the boat lurched forward, a loud crunch was heard before the ship began to rapidly fill with water. "What the..." She went silent as some large creature began to show itself, raising from the crushed end of the ship. "Oh fuck. Oh FUCK!" She yelled as she began running to the safety boats.

"Not so fast, Lucinda," the soft voices turned into a hiss coming from the creature. A large tentacle grabbed her and pulled her high into the air.

"W-what do you want from me?" She cried, looking down as her shipmates sank into the black waters below. "The voices...they promised me treasures! That's all I'm here for! Please, let me go! I beg you!"

"Yes, we know you seek our treasures...as many do." The some of the voices turned to laughter. "You come to take our treasures, and in exchange we shall take your life.. Just like all the others who have come for the very same."

"What!? No! Stop!" Her voice became muffled as the creature plunged back into the icy waters, pulling Lucinda under until her voice stopped and her vision went black.

WHAP! Lucinda gasped for air in a panic, gripping the back of her head and looking up at Evelyn. "What. The. Fuck. Is. Wrong. With. You?" She shouted, the color returning to her skin. "Yes, I know what I said. Why the hell would you wake me up this early for something neither of us want to do? I get it. You don't have to sleep, but some of us require the little sleep we do get to heal our wounds." She pulled up her linen shirt to show off her bruised ribs.

She laid her head back down, sighing angrily. "Now if you could kindly fuck off and let me rest, that would be great." She snapped, shutting her eyes for a few moments before opening them again, feeling the glare of her cousin's eyes burning into her skin.

"Fine. Have it your way. We will go." She groaned as she sat up. "But if anyone causes trouble, its on you. Good luck fighting off a bunch of angry people with a book. Sure, you woke me up but I guarantee that will be as useless as the words inside when you are surrounded. Why don't you learn something useful, like using your fists?"

She got up and walked over to the large wardrobe, dressing in a simple dark dress that showed off nearly her entire birthmark that covered part of her back, shoulder, and face. She added a leather corset and a dagger on the garter hidden by a slit in her dress for easy access if they were to come across a threat. "Are you ready Eve?" She raised a brow, waiting for the girl to join as she opened the door. "Let us make this quick then."

"What. The. Fuck. Is. Wrong. With. You?" She shouted, the color returning to her skin. "Yes, I know what I said. Why the hell would you wake me up this early for something neither of us want to do? I get it. You don't have to sleep, but some of us require the little sleep we do get to heal our wounds." She pulled up her linen shirt to show off her bruised ribs.
Evelyn stared at Lucy with a blank, unblinking stare. "...We should just get it over with..." she spoke after a moment. Truthfully she was excited to see her family again, she just didn't know how to express it. It had been some days since she had seen her mother, who she adored and was very close to, despite them living just a few rooms apart.

"I do sleep..." Evelyn murmured. "...It just happens to be when you're not here or asleep yourself." She watched as Lucinda pulled up her shirt to reveal darkly bruised ribs. Evelyn, with her morbid curiosity, leaned over and prodded at them before Lucy angrily slapped her hand away. "You should have Aunt Elli look at that for you..." she said flatly, opening her book and reading while she walked over to her chair.

The room fell silent as Evelyn read and Lucy attempted to go back to sleep. Eve grew irritated at how long it was taking Lucy to get up. She peered over the top of her book and used the sharpened end of her thumbnail to make a small cut in her index finger.

"Fine. Have it your way. We will go." She groaned as she sat up. "But if anyone causes trouble, its on you. Good luck fighting off a bunch of angry people with a book. Sure, you woke me up but I guarantee that will be as useless as the words inside when you are surrounded. Why don't you learn something useful, like using your fists?"
Just as Evelyn was preparing to fire a warning shot, Lucy sat up in bed. She lapped up the blood dripping from her finger like a cat and studied Lucy. "...I hate fighting. You know that..." she lied. "What good is it to me to have a strong cousin if I have to do my own fighting?" Eve asked tonelessly.

After Lucy was ready, they walked down the hall to Charity's room. A warm loving smile formed on Charity's lips as Eve and Lucy entered the room. "Hiya girls!" she said cheerily, rushing over to hug them. Evelyn returned her mother's hug with a rare smile on her face.

Charity gently ushered them towards a long couch and sat down. Evelyn laid with her head in her mother's lap, and her knees bent over the arm of the couch. Charity stroked her hair as she turned to speak to Lucy. "How are ya doing after last night Lulu? Sounded like you got banged up pretty bad!"

"Yeah Lu... You got hurt pretty badly for somebody who's supposed to be the second strongest of the Imps..." Evelyn intoned dryly. "Are you sure you're cut out to be a gangster?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Devil
She watched as Lucinda pulled up her shirt to reveal darkly bruised ribs. Evelyn, with her morbid curiosity, leaned over and prodded at them before Lucy angrily slapped her hand away. "You should have Aunt Elli look at that for you..." she said flatly, opening her book and reading while she walked over to her chair.

Lucinda yelped as Evelyn poked at her ribs, smacking her hand away. "Good gods. That's exactly what I need. A lecture from my mother." She rolled her eyes. "Last time she was concerned for my wellbeing, she shipped me off to Eastern Allir to live on a farm with a nice farmer boy. Do you think I look the type to play farmer's wife? Well I'm not. Farms stink like shit and I hate manual labor."

"...I hate fighting. You know that..." she lied. "What good is it to me to have a strong cousin if I have to do my own fighting?" Eve asked tonelessly.

"Yes, you say you hate fighting all the time. That much is clear." Lucinda snorted before questioning her in a slightly more serious tone as she brushed through her wavy black hair. "What are you going to do if someone tries to hurt you and I'm not there? At least let me teach you a few things to defend yourself sometime."

Lucinda followed Evelyn, locking their door behind her. The pair walked quietly down the hall to Charity's room, knocking loudly before letting themselves in.

"Hiya girls!" she said cheerily, rushing over to hug them. Evelyn returned her mother's hug with a rare smile on her face. There was rustling from the bed and Honey's head popped up from under the covers. "Awh! Mornin' sweethearts!" she said with a smile matching Charity's.

Lucinda smiled as Charity ran over to hug the two. "Good morning, Aunt...and Honey." She waved as Honey emerged from the blankets. She followed over to the couch and sat at one end, her posture a little too perfect as she tried to hide her pain. She turned to Honey, awkwardly trying to make friendly conversation. "Sorry for disturbing your rest. Eve wanted to visit you two and apparently it couldn't wait until the afternoon."

"How are ya doing after last night Lulu? Looked like you got banged up pretty bad!"

"Yeah Lu... You got hurt pretty badly for somebody who's supposed to be the second strongest of the Imps..." Evelyn intoned dryly. "Are you sure you're cut out to be a gangster?"

"I'm alright." She lied to Charity. "If anything I think I'm ready for a new job. Something harder this time, please. I need to push myself if I'm going to make it in this world. Do you think you have anything more challenging to do?"

"Oh would you shut up already Eve?"
Lucinda snapped at her, reaching over to punch her in the shoulder before clutching her ribs. "So what? I got a few bruises." And maybe a few broken ribs. "It happens. Doesn't mean I'm not the second strongest. I still knocked four of them out and got what Charity instructed me to get." She pulled a small pouch of assorted jewelry and gems from her pocket and tossed it Charity's way.

"Its more than you have done to help her, I guarantee that. I have no idea how Charity managed to raise you and you can't even do anything!" She laughed. "Sometimes I wonder why you're allowed to tag along with us, but I suppose it is nice to have a mascot or a little cheerleader for the ones who actually do the work."

Evelyn's last comment caused Lucinda to rise from her seat, her face turning red with anger. "What did you say?" She yanked the girl out of Charity's lap by her arm before shoving her towards a dresser. "What the hell did you mean by that? Of course I am cut out for this. I was raised for this." She shoved her again, harder.

"What are you going to do if someone tries to hurt you and I'm not there? At least let me teach you a few things to defend yourself sometime."
"...That's what I have you for." Evelyn said without looking up from her book. "If you're not there, then I will have to rely on myself then wont I?" She lifted her head from her book, her eyes staring lazily at Lucy. "...I don't need you to teach me... There's a difference between choosing not to fight and not knowing how to fight..." she said flatly. "I choose not to fight..."

"I'm alright." She lied to Charity. "If anything I think I'm ready for a new job. Something harder this time, please. I need to push myself if I'm going to make it in this world. Do you think you have anything more challenging to do?"
Charity looked at Lucy with a small frown. She remembered the days of feeling invincible and and like any injury was a mild inconvenience. Her face brightened as she got an idea. "Nope! Same job! You will keep doing this until you can either do it without alerting the guards, or until you are strong enough to take them ALL out!"

Taking the pouch offered to her, Charity duped the contents onto the coffee table in front of her. She searched through the pile before grabbing a large bag of coins. Out of the coin sack, Charity created two small piles, filled two small pouches, and pushed one to each girl. "There ya go! Nice job Lulu! You managed to get some high quality stuff this time!" Evelyn snatched her bag off the table and stuffed it in her pocket, already dreaming about all the books and sweets she would buy.

"Its more than you have done to help her, I guarantee that. I have no idea how Charity managed to raise you and you can't even do anything!" She laughed. "Sometimes I wonder why you're allowed to tag along with us, but I suppose it is nice to have a mascot or a little cheerleader for the ones who actually do the work."
"...You're right... It is... My skills do not work well for... secretive work like stealing..." Evelyn agreed. "And Mother allows me to "tag along" as you put it, because I like to watch and she knows that I will stay out of the way..." Evelyn said simply shrugging her shoulders. "I would assist you if the job called for it... But I do not think you would like my method of helping..." she intoned.

Evelyn's last comment caused Lucinda to rise from her seat, her face turning red with anger. "What did you say?" She yanked the girl out of Charity's lap by her arm before shoving her towards a dresser. "What the hell did you mean by that? Of course I am cut out for this. I was raised for this." She shoved her again, harder.
Evelyn's face retained its bored expression as Lucy yanked her off the couch and began shoving her and shouting. She put up no resistance as she was repeatedly shoved backwards until she collided with a dresser. "...I meant that you can't seem to finish a single job without sustaining some major injury..." Evelyn yawned out as Lucy stood angrily before her.

Charity grinned and put her arms up on the back of the couch. Did Lucinda really think that HER daughter was weak and useless? Lucy really should've known better. While Evelyn's expression remained unchanged, Charity recognized the glint in her eye. "Evelyn, play nice. She is your cousin after all!"

Evelyn gave a barely noticeable nod to her mother as Lucy lunged towards her. In a flash, Eve had sidestepped the attack and had landed a vicious slap to Lucy's already damaged ribs. One side of Evelyn's mouth cracked open in a wicked grin as she felt the satisfying crunch of ribs snapping under hand. A giggle escaped her as she darted away from Lucy, and after using her thumbnail to cut her finger, she sent two razor sharp needles made from her blood at her cousin.

Last edited:
  • Stressed
  • Dwarf
Charity looked at Lucy with a small frown. She remembered the days of feeling invincible and and like any injury was a mild inconvenience. Her face brightened as she got an idea. "Nope! Same job! You will keep doing this until you can either do it without alerting the guards, or until you are strong enough to take them ALL out!"

Lucinda huffed in annoyance, rolling her eyes. "Please Aunt Charity. I can do more! I know I can." She begged her aunt. "This one only went to shit because it was on the docks. That place is a nightmare. Sure the rare items always arrive there first, but you know how I feel about the water." Her voice went more quiet with shame as she shared her embarrassment. "I lost my footing and panicked. They caught me off guard....but I still got what I was instructed to get. Is that not good enough for you or is it not good enough for the Imps?" She assumed it was the former, as she knew she was better than most, if not all, of Charity's girls.

She searched through the pile before grabbing a large bag of coins. Out of the coin sack, Charity created two small piles, filled two small pouches, and pushed one to each girl. "There ya go! Nice job Lulu! You managed to get some high quality stuff this time!"

Lucinda grabbed her pouch of coins, pouring them out in her hand to count carefully before returning them to the bag and placing it in her pocket. "Yeah, I know I got high quality stuff. Do you think I'd turn up with a sack of gaudy costume jewelry?" She laughed a little. "Like I said, I can do so much more than these petty little crimes. Let me do something big with you!"

"I would assist you if the job called for it... But I do not think you would like my method of helping..." she intoned.

"Yeah, yeah. Say what you want, but I'd enjoy any method of helping. It's got to be better than standing still and watching me fight five guards on my own. Alternatively, you can let me fight on my own but not hit me in the head with a book the next morning."

Charity grinned and put her arms up on the back of the couch. Did Lucinda really think that HER daughter was weak and useless? Lucy really should've known better. While Evelyn's expression remained unchanged, Charity recognized the glint in her eye. "Evelyn, play nice. She is your cousin after all!"

Lucinda paused her movements as Charity relaxed and made a comment about Evelyn 'playing nice'. "Its just some bruises. I have never sustained a major injury. I'm not a careless fool." She continued her complaints, ready to land a blow on her irritatingly calm cousin. "If I was a fool I would have broken someth-"

Evelyn gave a barely noticeable nod to her mother as Lucy lunged towards her. In a flash, Eve had sidestepped the attack and had landed a vicious slap to Lucy's already damaged ribs. One side of Evelyn's mouth cracked open in a wicked grin as she felt the satisfying crunch of ribs snapping under hand. A giggle escaped her as she darted away from Lucy, and after using her thumbnail to cut her finger, she sent two razor sharp needles made from her blood at her cousin.

Lucinda yelped, feeling Evelyn's hand make contact with her ribs, fully snapping the already fractured bones. She fell to her knees, clutching her side for a moment as Evelyn darted away. "You are such a bi- AH!" She fell back as the first needle struck her, the second missing her by a few inches. She groaned, failing to pick herself up off the floor as the pain got worse. "I'm going to kill you and turn your body into a useless little puppet." She muttered, as a dark smoke began to pool beneath her, moving rapidly towards her cousin, embracing the young girl in the pitch black darkness full of terrible whispers, temporarily distorting her senses.

Lucy took advantage of the moment to pull herself up with a desk and move behind Evelyn, pulling her from the shadows and holding her dagger to her neck. "Your move." Her voice was cocky, but her breathing was labored as the hold she had on Evelyn quickly transitioned into her trying to hold herself up, praying Charity would step in and try to break up the obviously, in Lucinda's mind, unfair fight.

"Please Aunt Charity. I can do more! I know I can." She begged her aunt. "This one only went to shit because it was on the docks. That place is a nightmare. Sure the rare items always arrive there first, but you know how I feel about the water." Her voice went more quiet with shame as she shared her embarrassment. "I lost my footing and panicked. They caught me off guard....but I still got what I was instructed to get. Is that not good enough for you or is it not good enough for the Imps?" She assumed it was the former, as she knew she was better than most, if not all, of Charity's girls.
"Then that will be something you'll have to overcome." Charity said simply. "How are you going to become the future leader of the Imps or your own gang if you're scared of a little water?" She ruffled Lucinda's hair. "It will happen all in good time. And you will be many levels stronger than you are now if you do your best and overcome your challenges!"

"Yeah, I know I got high quality stuff. Do you think I'd turn up with a sack of gaudy costume jewelry?" She laughed a little. "Like I said, I can do so much more than these petty little crimes. Let me do something big with you!"
"No!" Charity said firmly. "You and all the other girls need way more practice before we can try any big jobs. For now, we will stick to running the docks until we can do it flawlessly. I have done enough big jobs in my day to know that you guys aren't even close to being ready for something like that!"

"I'm going to kill you and turn your body into a useless little puppet." She muttered, as a dark smoke began to pool beneath her, moving rapidly towards her cousin, embracing the young girl in the pitch black darkness full of terrible whispers, temporarily distorting her senses.
Lucy took advantage of the moment to pull herself up with a desk and move behind Evelyn, pulling her from the shadows and holding her dagger to her neck. "Your move." Her voice was cocky, but her breathing was labored as the hold she had on Evelyn quickly transitioned into her trying to hold herself up, praying Charity would step in and try to break up the obviously, in Lucinda's mind, unfair fight.
Eve looked around wildly as a cloud of shadows and voices surrounded her. She attempted to smell where Lucy was but it was no use. A quiet cry of shock emanated from her as she felt herself yanked from the shadows. She struggled vainly in Lucy's grip as she tried to free herself.

Moments later, the scent of fresh blood drifted into Eve's nostrils, and suddenly her head was filled with a dense fog. She could hear herself giggling, and before she could stop herself, Evelyn had sent them both crashing to the ground. She pinned Lucy to the floor, her fangs a hair's breadth away from her cousin's neck.

"EVELYN!" Charity's sharp commanding tone cut through the fog in Evelyn's mind. Evelyn blinked a few times, and her grin slowly faded back to a frown. "...This is why I can't help... I tend to go a bit crazy..." she murmured moving off of Lucy. Rising to her feet, Eve went back to sit on the couch where she neatly folded her hands in her lap and leaned against Charity.

"You know better than that!" Charity growled quietly as she wrapped her arms around Evelyn. "How many times have I told you not to feed off of your family?" Eve leaned her head against Charity's shoulder. "I'm sorry Mother.... I got a little carried away.... Lu's blood just smelled so delicious I couldn't help myself..." Charity sighed. "Ya really need to learn to control yourself, kid..."

"Ya really did a number on her,"
Charity said nodding towards Lucinda who had collapsed on the floor. "Go take her to Lidia. We can finish this visit some other time." Evelyn turned to face her mother and tightly wrapped her arms around her. "...Okay..." She said, resting her head on Charity's chest for a moment before releasing her and standing.

"C'mon Lulu... We're going to see Miss Lidia..." Evelyn intoned quietly. Gently lifting Lucy to her feet, Eve supported her cousin as they exited the building and slowly made their way to the healer.

Last edited:
  • Devil
  • Wonder
Then that will be something you'll have to overcome." Charity said simply. "How are you going to become the future leader of the Imps or your own gang if you're scared of a little water?"

"It's not just a little water. It's deep water where you can't see anything below...Hey!" Lucinda looked at Charity, her face glowing with excitement. "Me? I'm going to be the future leader? Are you serious?" She wanted to run up and hug her aunt tightly, but decided to try and remain calm as she celebrated.

"No!" Charity said firmly. "You and all the other girls need way more practice before we can try any big jobs. For now, we will stick to running the docks until we can do it flawlessly. I have done enough big jobs in my day to know that you guys aren't even close to being ready for something like that!"

"Yeah I know. You always tell me about the heists you pulled, like the one with the big demon sword that my mother was part of!" Lucinda sighed. She knew she was stronger, faster, and more careful than her mother. So why was she not pulling off great heists like her, Charity, and the others did when they were around her age? She would have to prove that she is ready to work with the greatest.

She could hear herself giggling, and before she could stop herself, Evelyn had sent them both crashing to the ground. She pinned Lucy to the floor, her fangs a hair's breadth away from her cousin's neck.

She had her right where she wanted her. Starting with the disadvantage, she now had the upper hand with a blade to her dear cousin's neck. "Why are you giggling?" She snapped in annoyance at Evelyn before the younger girl made a swift move, knocking them to the ground. Lucinda screeched in pain, trying to grab her ribs as Evelyn pinned her down, honing in on her neck.

"S-stop!" Lucinda whispered, wriggling underneath her. "Charity get her off!"

"...This is why I can't help... I tend to go a bit crazy..." she murmured moving off of Lucy. Rising to her feet, Eve went back to sit on the couch where she neatly folded her hands in her lap and leaned against Charity.

Lucinda remained lying on her back on the floor after Charity pulled Eve from her trance. She tried to sit up, but only groaned in pain. "As much as I hate you right now, that would have been useful last night." She slowly responded between heavy breaths. "Maybe....maybe...we can learn how to control that...its like our own little rabid dog we can release" She joked, her laughter making the pain more intense. "Fuck."

"C'mon Lulu... We're going to see Miss Lidia..." Evelyn intoned quietly. Gently lifting Lucy to her feet, Eve supported her cousin as they exited the building and slowly made their way to the healer.

"Ow...ow-OUCH!" Lucy interrupted as Evelyn helped her up. "Lidia...I suppose that's a better option than going to my mother." She commented quietly. Lucinda's mother was always worried. She never wanted her own children, but after the death of Lucinda's father, she became a little too overprotective going as far as marrying her off to whom she deemed to be a safe farmer boy in Eastern Allir. She wanted Lucinda to stay as far away as she could from the Cherry Rose and the crime that plagued Alliria.

All it ever did was push Lucinda away. She thought her mother was a hypocrite. She could be in the Cherry Rose, but Lucinda couldn't? It was unfair, though she never considered that her mother never wanted to be a part of them. She was brought in due to a series of many unfortunate events that ruined her life, while Lucinda just adored Charity and had a natural desire to follow in her footsteps.

Lucinda clung tightly to Evelyn as the pair left the Brass Bee and headed towards the Raven Club where Lidia had taken over running along with Ogden when she wasn't in Eilerias' church. It was only a fifteen minute walk or so, but by the time they arrived Lidia was pale and shaking from the pain of her broken ribs.

"Hiya dearies!" A voice called from behind the bar as the two walked in. It was still early in the day, so the place was nearly empty aside from a few people who were eating breakfast after a night in the inn portion of the club. Lidia hopped out from behind the bar and over to the two girls, preparing to embrace them in a tight hug when she noticed Lucinda. "Oh my heavens! What's happened to you Lucy?" She took Lucinda off of Evelyn and escorted the two girls up the stairs.

"Agh-" Lucinda gripped Evelyn's hand tightly as they sat her on the edge of a bed. "My ribs...don't tell mom..." She was struggling to explain, looking to Evelyn for help getting her corset off to show Lidia. Eventually they pulled her top up and Lidia looked horrified at the mass of black and blue bruising over her body.

"One of you two needs to tell me what happened. This looks really bad, child." She tried to lay Lucinda on her side before she began working. "I won't lie to you. Your bones are definitely broken and I'm going to have to move them back into place. It's going to hurt." Lidia began feeling around to see exactly what was broken and where the fragments were before trying to pull them back into their original position while Lucinda bit one of the pillows and shut her eyes tightly. "That's the trouble with magic, my dear. I can fix it if its in the right place, but if its in the wrong place it must be moved first." Lidia turned to Evelyn, trying to make a bit of a distraction as Lucinda cried. "How is your mother? I haven't seen her in ages. I was getting a bit worried that maybe her and Eilerias had a falling out...then again I don't see her often either. I wonder why that is...maybe I'm the one that's had a falling out!"

"It's not just a little water. It's deep water where you can't see anything below...Hey!" Lucinda looked at Charity, her face glowing with excitement. "Me? I'm going to be the future leader? Are you serious?" She wanted to run up and hug her aunt tightly, but decided to try and remain calm as she celebrated.
"Can't think of anybody else who's more suited for the job!" Charity smiled and ruffled Lucy's hair. "I won't be able to do this forever ya know! There will come a day when I'm too old to be running around in the streets and I'll need somebody I can trust to keep things running!"

"That's why I've been giving you all these jobs. You need to learn your limits of what you can do and what you can't. The girls will need to be able to trust that you aren't putting them in unnecessary danger. Its not always about pulling the biggest heist you can. Sometimes a smaller job with less danger is the better option."

"But we will worry about teaching you all about that later. Right now your skills aren't even close to what they will need to be to lead the Imps. So that is why you need to keep training with these small tasks!"

"Hiya dearies!"
"Oh my heavens! What's happened to you Lucy?"
"...Hello Miss Lidia... Lulu's been hurt pretty badly..." Evelyn groaned grateful to have Lidia take the majority of Lucy's weight from her. "I think she might have some broken ribs..." She helped Lidia get Lucy upstairs and sat don on the bed next to her. Evelyn's frown deepened into one of concern as Lidia looked over Lucy.

"One of you two needs to tell me what happened. This looks really bad, child."
Evelyn looked down at Lucinda. She was clearly in no state to recount the events. Eve squeezed Lucy's hand and looked at Lidia. "...Umm... from what she told me... She was doing a job for my mother last night and got beat up buy some guards." Evelyn spoke quietly. She broke eye contact with Lidia, feeling guilty as she continued. "...We got in a fight this morning... And I... Broke a few more of her ribs..."

Out of the corner of her eye, Evelyn could see Lidia pause for a moment and look at her. She could sense the displeased look on the woman's face as her gaze burned into her. With a small "Hmph!" of anger, Lidia retuned to her work and Eve breathed a sigh of relief.

"How is your mother? I haven't seen her in ages. I was getting a bit worried that maybe her and Eilerias had a falling out...then again I don't see her often either. I wonder why that is...maybe I'm the one that's had a falling out!"
"...She's always busy," Eve intoned glad for the change in subject. "She still has her gang of girls and they're always out doing Jobs for Grandpa. Mother and Aunty Elli get along alright, though they don't see each other very often. Whenever I ask why, Mother's very vague and says that Aunt Elli is busy with work, but I rarely see her at the church if I go looking for her..." Does she work somewhere else too? Evelyn wondered to herself. "I guess she just doesn't have much free time..."

Evelyn watched with wide-eyed fascination as Lidia moved ribs back into place. She could hear the bones clicking and scraping together and wished she could see what was going on inside Lucy's body. Surely Gran would have a book about anatomy. Eve made a mental note to ask next time she was at the archives.

"...Are you okay Lu?" Evelyn asked quietly as Lidia finished healing her. She took Lucy's hand again and helped her sit up. "Thank you for taking care of her Miss Lidia... Please don't tell Aunt Elli about this... You know how she worries..." Eve murmured. "C'mon Lulu... We should get you something to eat..."

Getting up from the bed, Evelyn led her cousin downstairs and they sat at the bar. "Do you have any sweets Miss Lidia?" she asked hopefully. Well as hopefully as somebody who spoke in a monotone could sound. "What do you want Lulu?"

• Bless
Reactions: Lucinda
Gwen woke with a yawn. “Hello Miss Vollmund.” Her pale eyes flicked to Cleo. “What time is it..” Gwen said casually sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

“Midday ma’am.” Gwen stood. She felt older. Too old. The years had been hard on her and yet her youthful, good looks withstood. Some what. While in the past she had worn robes of a more mythical fancy.

Always smelling of ink and old pages.

Now she wore only black robes and smelled of tombs and blood. The days of her mystic style forgotten. She looked like a pale skinned reaper doing deaths bidding. When she did walk the neighbors that used to smile and greet her now quietly kept their distance.

“You still need to drop off those herbs Lidia requested. I was going to but I think maybe you should.” Cleo interjected a bit shyly. “Hm. You think I should do it?” Gwen said with a raised eyebrow.

“Y-yes..” Cleo said unable to meet her eyes. “Fine..I shall go see the young one. She’s pleasant. Maybe my light will be there as well.” Gwen said with a sigh. Ellirias had been avoiding her but it wasn’t because of any thing she had done. They had..well.. Gwen pushed the thought from her mind as she came to the Raven clubs entrance.

Looking all the more like a wraith gliding over a battle field as she entered silently. Her hooded figure seeming to be wrapped in shadow as she noticed two young ones sitting at the bar. Charity really did know how to recruit it seemed. And this must be Lucinda.

Ellie had sent her away, and Gwen was not one to meddle..

The information broker remained silent as her gaze wandered over each girl in turn. It was not a kind gaze, nor one of disdain or dislike. Simply appraisal. Like their layers were pulled back. Her left hand wrapped in its usual wraps to cover her tattoos withdrew a black satin purse.

“The herbs you requested. My gardens are always open to you as well as my stores.” She said kindly.

The first bit of kindness dripping into her features as she pressed the purse into Lidias hands and clasped them in her own for a moment commanding the young woman’s full eye contact to ensure she understood the offer was not made idly.

If something came up and Gwen was to find she wasn’t contacted she would be offended. After receiving acknowledgment she would release her hands with a smile. Looking to both the girls she would snap her fingers causing shadows to fold around her hand as a ledger was formed along with a Raven feather quill.

“Mhm..Oh never in his life..Ok..That’s fine..” She muttered as she checked the clubs books as she did monthly. Ogden and Lidia kept the day to day financial duties while Gwen handled payments and negotiations with suppliers monthly.

“Oh..That’s an excelllent price. Scarlets a sweet heart...” Gwen muttered frowning at the next line.

“Gentra..That maggot..If she thinks she can squeeze us for that vintage wine..I’ll have to meet with her...” Gwen snapped the book shut as it vanished in a plume of shadows. “Cleo.” She would say with a snap of her fingers as the demon appeared with a gust of wind. Her black angel wings simply fading into obscurity folding into her being behind her back.

“Set up an appointment with Gentra. If she wants to pull on our chain I will show her I can pull back just as hard. Her son frequents Faustian’s...Inn.. I do believe..Getting some black mail for a counter offer should not be too difficult. Top priority Cleo I need you to handle it.”

Gwen said with a wave as Celo nodded turning to leave as Gwen rose to do the same. “Um..Ma’am..” Cleo said glancing at the two girls. “What is it I..Oh..” Gwen said. Her expression shifting from annoyance to realization.

“Well. Goodbye.” Gwen said with a slightly nervous cough turning to leave only to find a disappointed Cleo folding her arms and raising an eyebrow. “But I’m busy.” Gwen grumbled as if her grand daughters were not present.

“I will handle everything. You know I can. Do not use useless tasks to run from your family.” She said in demonic. Which to anyone that didn’t understand would have sounded like a bunch of grunts and growls. “Fine.” Gwen would say in Common.

“Hello young ones.” She would say slowly turning to face them. “I’m your Grandmother..” She said somewhat awkwardly as Cleo rolled her eyes and left with a flap of her black wings carrying her from view with a speed many would marvel at.

"...She's always busy," Eve intoned glad for the change in subject. "She still has her gang of girls and they're always out doing Jobs for Grandpa. Mother and Aunty Elli get along alright, though they don't see each other very often. Whenever I ask why, Mother's very vague and says that Aunt Elli is busy with work, but I rarely see her at the church if I go looking for her..." Does she work somewhere else too? Evelyn wondered to herself. "I guess she just doesn't have much free time..."

"Oh, that's good I suppose!" Lidia continued to work as she made small talk. "Do encourage her to get some rest. Being busy all the time isn't healthy. How is Gilgamesh doing? Did he ever get that leg looked at?" With a final crack, Lidia had finished replacing the bone pieces and began mending the bones.

"...Are you okay Lu?" Evelyn asked quietly as Lidia finished healing her. She took Lucy's hand again and helped her sit up. "Thank you for taking care of her Miss Lidia... Please don't tell Aunt Elli about this... You know how she worries..." Eve murmured. "C'mon Lulu... We should get you something to eat..."

Lucinda nodded, accepting Evelyn's hand and support as she sat up. "Thanks Lidia. Do not breathe a word of this to my mother." Her words came unintentionally came out as more of a threat, making Lidia uncomfortable. "Yes...she worries...and that would be unfortunate" For me...She tried to sound a bit less cold. "Yeah, I'm a bit hungry I guess. Lidia, can I get eggs and ham?"

Lidia nodded, walking towards the door as the girls followed. "You can get whatever you like. You too, Evelyn. I always keep a little bowl of sweets behind the bar for you." She winked. "Ogden's probably already prepared a banquet for the two of you. You know how he gets." She smiled. "He loves you two. He thinks of you as his own grandkids."

Looking all the more like a wraith gliding over a battle field as she entered silently. Her hooded figure seeming to be wrapped in shadow as she noticed two young ones sitting at the bar. Charity really did know how to recruit it seemed. And this must be Lucinda.

Lucinda glanced over to the hooded figure as she entered. If the healing hadn't exhausted her, she may have gotten into a defensive stance as the woman made her way over and revealed herself. She immediately recognized her as Gwendolyn. It had been quite some time since she had seen her, years maybe. She still looked like the same woman she played with as a toddler.

“The herbs you requested. My gardens are always open to you as well as my stores.” She said kindly.

The first bit of kindness dripping into her features as she pressed the purse into Lidias hands and clasped them in her own for a moment commanding the young woman’s full eye contact to ensure she understood the offer was not made idly.

Lidia flinched at Gwen's touch, her eyes fearfully meeting Gwen's as she accepted the purse of herbs. Nearly twenty years she had known Gwen, but she never got less intimidating. "Y-yes. Thank you Miss Vollmund." She placed the purse in her apron pocket. "Thank you, I really appreciate it. Sometimes it's faster to make a potion for someone at church than heal them." She admitted. "And Miss Eilerias hasn't been back to help in a while. Last time I saw her, she was just arriving back home from Elbion. Said she wasn't feeling well. Hopefully not one of them western illnesses." She shuddered, bringing a bowl of candies to the two young girls. "Perhaps you two can go check on her."

Lucinda almost showed a bit of concern over her mother as Lidia spoke, but quickly hid it. "Yeah, we can do that if we have time." She responded a little too coldly.

“Hello young ones.” She would say slowly turning to face them. “I’m your Grandmother..” She said somewhat awkwardly as Cleo rolled her eyes and left with a flap of her black wings carrying her from view with a speed many would marvel at.

A smile creeped across Lucinda's face as Gwen awkwardly introduced herself. "Do you think I didn't remember you?" She got up out of her chair and tightly hugged Gwen. "It's been a while, but you haven't changed a bit Grandmother. I missed you."

• Bless
Reactions: Evelyn Briarthorne
“Being forgettable is a part of my job darling. I would forgive you if you had.” Gwen said with a grim smirk accepting the hug.

“Ok, ok be gentle with your grandmother now. I’m almost 150 child.” She said with a grunt at the tightness of the hug but laughing as she returned the hug until released. “Evelyn..” Gwen would say turning and greeting the quiet grand daughter.

"Oh, that's good I suppose!" Lidia continued to work as she made small talk. "Do encourage her to get some rest. Being busy all the time isn't healthy. How is Gilgamesh doing? Did he ever get that leg looked at?"
"... I... Will try. Mother can be quite stubborn. She likes to keep busy. And I have not seen Grandpa in a long time, but I doubt he has gotten his leg fixed. That would mean revealing himself.... And you know how he is..." Evelyn said quietly.

Lidia nodded, walking towards the door as the girls followed. "You can get whatever you like. You too, Evelyn. I always keep a little bowl of sweets behind the bar for you." She winked.
Evelyn followed Lidia holding tightly on to Lucy's hand. Once downstairs, she sat at the bar and folded her hands neatly in her lap. As she patiently waited for Lidia to retreive the sweets, a mysterious figure entered the club. Though Eve couldn't see their face under the hood, their scent was immediately familiar.

Lidia returned with a large bowl of candy and Evelyn wasted no time in selecting a long peppermint stick and popped it into her mouth. Her sharp hearing picked up snippets of conversation between the hooded figure and another woman.

"...Handle everything.... You know.... Run from your family..." Evelyn's frown deepened in mild frustration. She knew her demonic was getting rusty, but she hadn't thought it was that bad. She would have to review her Daemontongue book when she returned home. But since the woman had spoken in demonic, that could only be one person she knew. Cleo. And if Cleo was there then that must mean...

“Evelyn..” Gwen would say turning and greeting the quiet grand daughter.
A rare smile cracked Evelyn's lips, revealing her small razor sharp fangs. "... Hello Gran Gran..." she said around the stick of candy in a happy but still somewhat reserved tone. "I wasn't expecting to see you today...."

Gwendolyn had been the very first person Charity had introduced her to after finding her skulking around the docks one night as a young child. In her early years she spent a lot of time with Gwen, learning from the books in the archives while her mother was working.

Evelyn rose from her seat and wrapped her arms around Gwen's waist and looked up at her. "...What brings you here?" Evelyn asked quietly.

Last edited:
  • Bless
“I was dropping off some herbs..” Gwen said with a genuine smile. A very noticeable shift in every thing about her. Her shoulders relaxed. Her expression softened. Her grey eyes holding warmth like glittering coals in a heap of ash.

“And was hoping your mother..Was here..” She muttered glancing about. “Which I’m guessing she is not..” Gwen said with a sigh. She moved to leave but found Evelyn’s embrace too welcome.

“Come now. I’m quite busy dearest.” She would say looking down into Evelyns eyes.

It was why Gwen tried to keep her distance once her granddaughters began to reach a certain age. She was happy. Relaxed and most importantly vulnerable.

It was why she kept her distance. She took care of them as long as nessicary to make their earliest years count. She couldn’t risk any more time than that...

But today..

“But how would you both like to visit the archives for a bit. My clients aren’t due to arrive until later.

While Cleos handling what she can at least. They’ll be empty and You can read up on your demon tongue.” She said with a knowing chuckle.

“Being rusty is for nails child. Sharp and honed. sharp and honed. Always.” She whispered in demon tongue ruffling her reserved granddaughter’s hair. Using the phrase her mother had whispered to her when Gwen herself got frustrated.

Turning to Lucinda.

“How about it? I’ve got a sparring ring. And weapons..and I can see how well you have progressed.” She said with a smile that seemed impossible to dispel.

Shadows springing from her hand like a whips snapping up her other granddaughter and pulling her to her side as Gwen gently wrapped her arm around her shoulder.

• Cthuulove
“Being forgettable is a part of my job darling. I would forgive you if you had.” Gwen said with a grim smirk accepting the hug.

“Ok, ok be gentle with your grandmother now. I’m almost 150 child.” She said with a grunt at the tightness of the hug but laughing as she returned the hug until released. “Evelyn..” Gwen would say turning and greeting the quiet grand daughter.

"I could never, grandmother." Lucinda squeezed Gwendolyn before letting her go. "Sorry, I just...its been a while since I last saw you." She took a few steps away, allowing Evelyn to embrace Gwen. "I hope you weren't a part of my mother's plans of sending me away to marry some weird farmhand in Allir." She grumbled quietly.

“And was hoping your mother..Was here..” She muttered glancing about. “Which I’m guessing she is not..” Gwen said with a sigh. She moved to leave but found Evelyn’s embrace too welcome.

"My mother? What could you possibly want from that woman?" Lucinda raised an eyebrow, obvious distaste in her voice. "Lidia said she wasn't feeling well after some trip. She's probably at her house across the street." Hopefully, whatever it is turns out to be fatal after the shit she's put me through. She snickered at her own dark thoughts.

“But how would you both like to visit the archives for a bit. My clients aren’t due to arrive until later.

While Cleos handling what she can at least. They’ll be empty and You can read up on your demon tongue.” She said with a knowing chuckle.

"Hmm...I'll pass on the studies..." She commented, picking at the food Lidia had brought out for them as Gwen spoke in Demon Tongue to Evelyn. She never quite understood the appeal of reading and learning like the two of them seemed to bond over. She preferred physical action. She wanted to ensure she would always be able to protect herself and acquire whatever it was she was ordered to obtain or protect.

Why use words when you can use your hands and some nice powers?

“How about it? I’ve got a sparring ring. And weapons..and I can see how well you have progressed.” She said with a smile that seemed impossible to dispel.

Shadows springing from her hand like a whips snapping up her other granddaughter and pulling her to her side as Gwen gently wrapped her arm around her shoulder.

Lucinda's ears perked up at the mention of more fighting. She was probably not in optimal condition as her wounds were still healing, but she couldn't turn down an opportunity to learn something from Gwen that didn't have to do with any of her dusty old books. "I-OH!" She dropped her fork as Gwen's shadows pulled her into her arms. "Fine, I'll come with." She agreed.

“Come now. I’m quite busy dearest.” She would say looking down into Evelyns eyes.
Evelyn's eyes opened wide with excitement. The archives were her favorite place in the whole city. "I'd love that..." She squeezed Gwen tighter and buried her face in her robes. Any chance to crack open a dusty old tome and learn something new was welcome.

Unlike her cousin, Eve had learned from her grandmother at a very young age that physical and magical power weren't everything. Sometimes knowledge and information gained could be just as, or sometimes even more powerful than raw power or talent. That's why she spent the majority of her time reading every book she could get her hands on.

Evelyn yearned to be just like her grandmother. As much as her mother would like her to become physically strong, Eve was determined to just sit quietly and read. She didn't want to be a thief, or a gangster, or whatever else people had planned for her. No. Evelyn was going to follow exactly in Gwendolyn's footsteps. Who needed power when a few simple words could strike fear into the hearts of the stoutest men?

“Being rusty is for nails child. Sharp and honed. sharp and honed. Always.” She whispered in demon tongue ruffling her reserved granddaughter’s hair. Using the phrase her mother had whispered to her when Gwen herself got frustrated.
"...That's what you always say... But I will try..." Evelyn began to respond in elvish with a nod. What was the word for grandmother again? "Gran Gran..." she finished lamely, feeling foolish that her mind had let her down again. How am I supposed to become somebody like her if I can't even remember a simple word? she chided herself.

"But I dislike fighting...." Evelyn complained with slight annoyance in her voice. "Can't we just sit in the archives and read?"

Last edited:
  • Bless
"I-OH!" She dropped her fork as Gwen's shadows pulled her into her arms. "Fine, I'll come with." She agreed.
“Excellent...” Gwen said with a chuckle. “You were never bored in my care when you were younger if memory serves. Give your gran gran some credit child.” She said with a wink to Lucinda.
"I'd love that..." She squeezed Gwen tighter and buried her face in her robes. Any chance to crack open a dusty old tome and learn something new was welcome.
“I knew you would my little scholar.” Gwen said with a chuckle.
"...That's what you always say... But I will try..." Evelyn began to respond in elvish with a nod. What was the word for grandmother again? "Gran Gran..." she finished lamely, feeling foolish that her mind had let her down again.
“Gin gin.” She said with another chuckle.
"But I dislike fighting...." Evelyn complained with slight annoyance in her voice. "Can't we just sit in the archives and read?"
“An enemy will not ask for your likes and dislikes. Those who can be beaten and defended against with words will come, and those who can not will come as well. Your grandmother is both a fighter and an intelligent woman.” She said with a little pride slipping silently into her tone.

“But I clearly have my preference. One bathes wether one likes it or not. It is a function of life dearest. It’s a chore to be done.” She said calmly. A warmth of emotion came off of her in waves.

Throwing her arm over Lucindas shoulder and taking Evelyns hand into her own she began to set off after a kind goodbye to Lidia.

“Sweet girl..” Gwen said as they left. “She always acts so terrified though..must be timid..”

“You were never bored in my care when you were younger if memory serves. Give your gran gran some credit child.” She said with a wink to Lucinda.

"Oh of course I was never bored!" Lucinda snickered. "Except on the occasions you would force me to read old books...you knew I wasn't fond of them, especially with my mother forcing all her weird Sol'Nityr books on me. But I do have to say, aside from the reading, spending time with you as a child was very enjoyable."

“An enemy will not ask for your likes and dislikes. Those who can be beaten and defended against with words will come, and those who can not will come as well. Your grandmother is both a fighter and an intelligent woman.” She said with a little pride slipping silently into her tone.

"That's what I keep telling her!" Lucinda rolled her eyes dramatically, her words quiet, but teasing. "If she spent time learning how to fight, maybe she could have helped me last night and I wouldn't have ended up with broken ribs. Again."

Throwing her arm over Lucindas shoulder and taking Evelyns hand into her own she began to set off after a kind goodbye to Lidia.

“Sweet girl..” Gwen said as they left. “She always acts so terrified though..must be timid..”

She wrapped her arm around Gwen's waist, turning to wave goodbye to Lidia. "See you around Lidia. Tell Ogden I'll be back for the meal later. I swear!"

"Oh! Oh alright, will do. Take care ladies!" She replied, shuffling back towards the kitchen with the herbs from Gwendolyn.

"She does always seem a bit nervous when you're around. I wonder why..."

"Oh of course I was never bored!" Lucinda snickered. "Except on the occasions you would force me to read old books...you knew I wasn't fond of them, especially with my mother forcing all her weird Sol'Nityr books on me. But I do have to say, aside from the reading, spending time with you as a child was very enjoyable."
“Oh?” Gwen replied with a raised eyebrow. The fact of the lesson she had imparted to Evelyn seemed to amuse Lucinda, but be completely lost to her.

The eyebrow lowered to returning her to her usual neutral expression.
"That's what I keep telling her!" Lucinda rolled her eyes dramatically, her words quiet, but teasing. "If she spent time learning how to fight, maybe she could have helped me last night and I wouldn't have ended up with broken ribs. Again."
“The same could be said to you as well young one.” Gwen said ruffling her grand daughters hair.

“ Also consider that if you learned more about your magic by cracking open a couple of books..they may not have been broken.” She said with no malice or ill will. Gwen was harsh but it came from her honesty in expressing her objective opinion.

“Tough love.” As one would say.
"She does always seem a bit nervous when you're around. I wonder why..."
“When I’m around..” Gwen frowned glancing back at the Raven clubs doors closing behind them as they walked into the city streets.

“I thought she was always just timid. She has always been timid....Is she not always timid?” Gwen said glancing between Lucinda and Evelyn and the Raven clubs entrance once more.

Her mouth screwed into a slight pout cracking her neutral expression.

“I knew you would my little scholar.” Gwen said with a chuckle.
Evelyn raised her head to look up at her grandmother. "...Do you have any books about fairies or other magical creatures?" she asked quietly. "Its is so hard to find books about them... And all the ones I do find are picture books for children with made up stories..."

“But I clearly have my preference. One bathes wether one likes it or not. It is a function of life dearest. It’s a chore to be done.” She said calmly.
Gnawing thoughtfully on her stick of candy, Eve considered Gwendolyn's words. She supposed it was true that an enemy wouldn't have the courtesy to ask her whether or not she felt like fighting. They would attack regardless if she was prepared for it or not.

Charity had gently pushed Evelyn to grow stronger and learn how to defend herself her whole life, but her daughter had resisted every step of the way. While Eve had greatly enjoyed the time spent with her mother, she didn't enjoy having to fight with her. Why would she want to fight somebody she loved that much? The fact that Charity was trying to teach her how to protect herself was lost on Evelyn. To her it just seemed like something she HAD to do, like a chore.

But if I HAVE to learn how to fight to be like Gran Gran, then I will! Evelyn decided. If she could grow up to be half the woman that Gwendolyn was, then she would be happy.

"I suppose you're right... Okay I will spar..." Evelyn squeezed her grandmother's hand gently. "But you have to promise to let me look at your books after!"

Last edited:
“The same could be said to you as well young one.” Gwen said ruffling her grand daughters hair.

“ Also consider that if you learned more about your magic by cracking open a couple of books..they may not have been broken.” She said with no malice or ill will. Gwen was harsh but it came from her honesty in expressing her objective opinion.

“Tough love.” As one would say.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lucinda shook her head, an attempt to keep Gwendolyn's hand from messing up her hair.

"Or perhaps if your daughter would stop sending me to the docks, I wouldn't have been distracted."
She complained. "Aunt Charity knows the water and I do not mix. Can I not be sent on some grand heist to steal artifacts from rich folks or mercenaries? You know, like you all did." On land, she added. "I'm ready for it, I promise. Its time for something bigger than the lame tasks I get sent to do." Gwen's honesty only made Lucinda want to work harder, physically.

"Its is so hard to find books about them... And all the ones I do find are picture books for children with made up stories..."

Lucinda rolled her eyes and laughed. "Perhaps its because they are only fairytales meant for children. You need to grow up Eve. You can't keep reading children's bedtime stories and treating them as factual forever."

“When I’m around..” Gwen frowned glancing back at the Raven clubs doors closing behind them as they walked into the city streets.

“I thought she was always just timid. She has always been timid....Is she not always timid?” Gwen said glancing between Lucinda and Evelyn and the Raven clubs entrance once more.

"Yeah, she always gets a bit more...reserved, I suppose. Have you never noticed how quiet she goes when you enter? Looks like she's shaking too sometimes..." Lucinda commented, "She's rather friendly with us, but then again she helped raise me. She's like another aunt." She chuckled at Gwen's question. Was she insecure about how Lidia viewed her?

"From what I've seen, she's only timid with you." She shrugged, walking by her side as they passed her mother's house. "Maybe she's intimidated by you for some reason...I mean you are incredibly powerful. I'd be intimidated, too, if I didn't know you and had seen how strong and talented with magic you are. It's a bit of a scary combination in a someone you don't know that well."

• Cthuulove
"...Do you have any books about fairies or other magical creatures?" she asked quietly. "Its is so hard to find books about them... And all the ones I do find are picture books for children with made up stories..."
“That is because children needed to be warned of their existence without getting nightmares.” Gwen said with a light chuckle. “My books on the other hand take no such care in delivering the facts of the fae.”

"I suppose you're right... Okay I will spar..." Evelyn squeezed her grandmother's hand gently. "But you have to promise to let me look at your books after!"
She returned the light squeeze with a rare warming smile. “Excellent. Afterwards my collection will be yours to study to your hearts content.” The archive keeper promised.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lucinda shook her head, an attempt to keep Gwendolyn's hand from messing up her hair.

"Or perhaps if your daughter would stop sending me to the docks, I wouldn't have been distracted."
She complained. "Aunt Charity knows the water and I do not mix. Can I not be sent on some grand heist to steal artifacts from rich folks or mercenaries? You know, like you all did." On land, she added. "I'm ready for it, I promise. Its time for something bigger than the lame tasks I get sent to do." Gwen's honesty only made Lucinda want to work harder, physically.
“Over coming limitations is the key to your growth child. Conquering the docks might be.

“lame.” But overcoming it shows Charity and the others that you can excel and over come even when the odds are not in your favor. If a simple task is complicated by a hindrance what of a complicated matter?” She asked simply allowing her grand daughter to escape her ceaseless grandmothering.
"Perhaps its because they are only fairytales meant for children. You need to grow up Eve. You can't keep reading children's bedtime stories and treating them as factual forever."

“Save your venom for the pit young viper..” The broker chastised lightly.

"Yeah, she always gets a bit more...reserved, I suppose. Have you never noticed how quiet she goes when you enter? Looks like she's shaking too sometimes..." Lucinda commented, "She's rather friendly with us, but then again she helped raise me. She's like another aunt." She chuckled at Gwen's question. Was she insecure about how Lidia viewed her?

"From what I've seen, she's only timid with you." She shrugged, walking by her side as they passed her mother's house. "Maybe she's intimidated by you for some reason...I mean you are incredibly powerful. I'd be intimidated, too, if I didn't know you and had seen how strong and talented with magic you are. It's a bit of a scary combination in a someone you don't know that well."

The frown returned.

“Mmm..” Shadows drew to her as the brokers rather distinctive shadow grew a twin. Just as the shadow split Gwens form flickered. Two Gwens stood beside eachother both turning in unison to face eachother.

“Right. You already know what to do I assume?” The original said to the copy. “Of course. Kill her right? There’s already a bucket in there shouldn’t be-.” The copy said with the slightest flicker as she moved examining her nails blinking as Gwen interrupted her with a snap of her fingers.

“ Hey! No. No..You will not leave her side until she is our friend.” Gwen said with a slight exhale. Her frown deepening.

“Alright. And if I can’t then kill her.” Copy Gwen said waving dismissively. “No! What is with you? If you can not just take your leave...and do not make things worse.” Gwen snapped causing her copy to jump slightly.

“Ok..ok take it easy..” She said with a sigh moving off to the Raven clubs entrance while the original walked away with her granddaughters. “What was with her..” She muttered as the copies ears twitched.

“My hang ups are yours too. If my first instinct is to kill my problems that’s your poor reflection to deal with. I’m literally a mirror.” The copy called over her shoulder. The Raven club door shutting behind her as Gwen stopped and turned on her heel to retort.

“I..” She stood for a moment realizing her target was no where to be found. “Damn you..me..us..” She seemed at a loss for a moment.. “Shit!” She fumed. Before placing her hand over her mouth. It was not that she viewed cursing in any shameful or rude behavior.

It was the fact that she had been so ignorantly reduced to a simple curse word was a bit embarrassing. She took a moment to compose her self. “So..I had the strangest client a few weeks ago..” She began a story as they walked and by its end they were at the archives entrance. Cleo was inside.

“Oh! H-hello!” She said with an “eep.” Of surprise.

“I was about to tell you there was a meeting you just had come up.” She said with a nervous grin. “I told you to move all of my..” A man walked out dressed in black. Showed himself in her door. “Some appointments can’t be moved around..” he said.

“I see..” She said with a slight tightening of her hands. Anyone that knew her could see the rapid shift in her mood. “I will only be a moment. Watch them Cleo.” She said with an apologetic smile to her granddaughters.

“M..me?” The demon said with a nervous chuckle. “Yes.” She said leaving. “S..so kids what do you like to do.” She asked with a smile.

“That is because children needed to be warned of their existence without getting nightmares.” Gwen said with a light chuckle. “My books on the other hand take no such care in delivering the facts of the fae.”
Evelyn's eyes lit up excitedly as Gwen told her she had books about the fae. They were real?! And they were creatures of nightmare? What could be better? "...See? I told you they were real Lulu..." she said a bit of smugness in her voice.

She only partly listened as Gwendolyn spoke to Lucinda. Her mind was preoccupied with thoughts about all the books in the archives, and simultaneously just enjoying the presence of her grandmother. Being around Gwen was a rare occurrence now that she was older, and Eve was going to savor every second of it.

Suddenly there was another Gwen with them and Evelyn glanced back and forth between them, a confused look on her face. Her confusion only increased as Gwen began arguing with herself. She could only assume that the one she was holding hands with was the real one, but still couldn't figure out where the other one had come from. She looked up at her grandmother as the clone disappeared back into the club. But before she could ask, Gwendolyn began a story, and they were at the archives before she knew it.

The trio was met at the door by a very nervous looking Cleo. "Hello Miss Cleo..." Eve said with a small smile taking form on her lips. Cleo had always been so kind and caring towards her. She was also an amazing baker and had provided Evelyn with a limitless supply of cakes and candy whenever she visited the archives.

A man dressed in black poked his head out of Gwen's office as they spoke to Cleo. Evelyn wasn't able to get a good look at him, but in her mind he kind of resembled her grandfather. She had only seen him in passing for most of her life, so she couldn't be sure if it was really him. Whoever it was had a negative effect on Gwendolyn as her hand tightened around Evelyn's. She excused herself and left them in the care of Cleo.

“S..so kids what do you like to do.” She asked with a smile
Eve looked up at her, the smile still on her face. She wanted to go into the archives but guessed that she wouldn't be allowed in without Gwen. "...Do you have any sweets?" she asked hopefully.

Last edited: