Private Tales Red Sky at Night, Shepherd's Delight

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Ceria Ythan

Character Biography
Link
An ornate wooden box sat upon a boulder.

It was a well-worn box; its edges chipped, and the once intricate detail of painted flowering vines faded by both time and the sun. How many generations had it seen? How many times had this box marked the beginning of another family? How many hands of tradition had passed it down the line? What would those hands think now?

Ceria Ythan did not know, nor did she care.

She recalled the moment that she had stopped caring.

The woman had found herself on the floor of her room, squinting into the darkness beneath her bed in search of a rogue sock that had evaded the wash. However, instead of finding the lost garment, she came face-to-face with an old blessing and bitter burden left there to rot. A neglected fiddle case, practically encrusted with dust. How long had it been? Two years? Five? Ten, perhaps? The very sight of it was a grim reminder of her mediocrity, of dreams chased half-heartedly and abandoned.

She would never steal the hearts of adoring crowds, taking them to fantastical far-flung places with every draw of a well-rosined bow, capturing adoration and spreading the joy she had felt as a child listening to the bards at the Aywick Show every year.

No, she was to marry Clive Bervie.

A good man. An honest man. A man with cattle.

That's what everybody said, at least, pointedly ignoring his aversion to bathing, chronic underbite and one leg that was shorter than the other. It was how these rural affairs went. If there was somebody in your village or the next one over who happened to be a suitable age, it was destined to be a match. Looks didn't matter, nor did personality. It was practical and good for the land. Ceria recalled, quite vividly, the moment that her mother remarked, 'Well, at least he's not a cousin!' Looking at Clive, it seemed his family tree, or ladder had seen plenty of cousins.

Upon opening up the case and getting lost in the varnished wood of her violin the woman had made a decision.

This would not be her life.

She could have taken her dowry and fled, but where to and with what skills? No, the passing flight of fantasy had led her elsewhere, down rabbit holes of folk tales and fair folk. Nothing else could grant her what she wanted, and Ceria knew exactly what she wanted.

Standing at the edge of their grounds marked by the boulder, the crofter stared at the dowry box, its contents modest. There was coin, of course, a handful of gold pieces flanked by silver to secure the union, a sentimental sapphire necklace that was never worn for fear that it may be tarnished and strangely enough, a pair of hand-knitted socks. Her eyes flitted upwards; the dusk's clouds were tinged by vibrant pinks and oranges, a sign of good omens or, at the very least, good superstition.

Red sky at night, shepherd's delight.

Ceria closed her eyes and hoped that her offering would be accepted.

• Bless
Reactions: Saang Lusce
"My my my..." a voice sounded from behind the girl on a faint and unsuspecting evening breeze. She might've been expecting some grand flash of magic, and while the owner of said voice was not above their theatrics, it didn't do to draw attention in the mortal realm.

Next came the hissing of grasses and silks as a figure stepped into view around her. Tall and draped in tastefully ornate robes of black, red, white, and gold, they moved over to the boulder and the box and bent to inspect it. Hair the color of a ripe apple slid smoothly over their shoulders, greeting the offering alongside two pale hands. An image of handsome intrigue and refined beauty greeted the girl as the answer to her hopes turned a pleased smile upon her.

"What a lovely little box," and then with grace, they scooped it up and set themselves down upon the boulder in its stead. The box settled on their lap, they reposed languidly while delicately fingering through its contents.

"To whom do I owe the pleasure?"

• Wonder
Reactions: Ceria Ythan
Ceria flinched, not having anticipated a subtle voice at her back.

She had been driven enough to come here and make an offering to those who would take it, yet in the same breath, had refused to stop and contemplate the how, who, and what. Might it have behoved her to take care and do research before invoking strange spirits? Absolutely. Did she care? No.

The creature couldn't have seemed more out of place had they tried. A delicate sense about them stood in defiant opposition to the plain and practical croft living. Silk did not often mingle with the pearls of sheep. This must have been why they were known as fair folk, certainly none too unpleasant to gaze upon.

Silent gratitude came when they sat upon the boulder, relieving the woman of craning her neck upwards while attempting to strike some form of bargain.

The recollections of patchwork folk stories argued behind her desire, heeding warnings about giving names and of firstborn children. Those fables were instruments of caution, 'they'll trick you,' they say, preaching virtuous morals born of hard work in place of wishes and dreams. Who knew what was true and what spilt forth from the lips of old crones?

"You may call me Ceria,"
she answered, offering the figure a polite smile reserved for the most frightening of aunts, "and who might I be talking to?"

• Wonder
"Hmmm," they crooned, plying from the box the sapphire necklace that gleamed like an angel's teardrop in the light of the sunset, all crimson gleam within deep blue.

"Ceria," the fae tested the name, finding it true enough on their tongue but not the whole truth. Humans were typically not so sharp and most gave away entire birthnames and surnames for the asking simply because it was a beauteous creature that has asked. She was not so quick to divulge. Smart, perhaps. Useful, maybe.

"You may call me," he looked to her, simple mirth filtering through the many facets of his face as the red of the skies reflected through the many facets of the sapphire, "San Laang, a humble Patron of Broken Hearts and Lord of the Tidal Flames. Tell me, Ceria my dear, why have you called upon my favor? Your heart is quite unbroken."

• Wonder
"Is it not?" Ceria asked with a tilt of her head, observing the fae's elegant beauty through the gemstone's lens.

What were the prerequisites of a broken heart? If she were expected to be found sobbing hysterically into a lace handkerchief and pining after some wandering soul, then she would have to disappoint the Lord of the Tidal Flames.

Her sorrow didn't come in the shape of a man; no, it came in the form of wood, strings and horsehair. It came in the mirror's reflection when she realised that the girl staring back was not a prodigy who would set souls aflame through the joy of music but instead the harbinger of screeching cats. How tragic it had been to find out that she lacked dexterity, rhythm and pitch.

"There is something I want, San Laang," Ceria conceded, the edge of her polite smile softening as she attempted to make her case, "and if I do not get it tonight, then I fear I never will."

Perhaps she could be more forthcoming.

"I am to be married. Tomorrow."

• Bless
A sanguine smile slivered the fae's expression with keen mirth, effecting the glow of the sunset with ethereal likeness. To want after something in a fae's presence - it was the candy of the mortals and the very presence of such strong, driving desire was deliciously appetizing.

"Wanting is not the same as grieving, Sweet Ceria..." San Laang plied as he lightly flicked the jewel on its lace and sent it spinning, "the grieving would follow the marriage, presumably - a marriage clearly not desired."

"So ...what is your desire?"
this game was always such fun. What did all mortals desire? Beauty, strength, power, riches, fame, glory. Simple things to be traded for not-so-simple prices.

• Thoughtful
Why was the sting so bitter if it was not the same?

Such semantics were ultimately useless; she was here for one reason. It was not for introspection on why she wanted and the hurt that came with it, nor was it to consider the feelings of Clive Bervie. She would not, could not settle into the mediocrity of his life and doom herself to a lifetime of cow shit and children, always wondering what if?

"I desire talent," Ceria answered, her smile entirely fading into a terse line, "musical talent."

In her mind, thoughts wandered away to that dusty case kept beneath her bed, always lurking beneath, a taunting reminder of failure. Perhaps now it sat there in anticipation.

"I want to be a master of the violin, to be able to effortlessly play beautiful music that can capture the hearts and minds of those who hear it."

• Aww
Ohhh, music? Now there was an interesting dream.

"I see," the jewel gently found its way back into the box and the lid closed with such care it might've cracked from the effort alone.

"And what are you willing to pay for such a talent?"

• Thoughtful
A price.

This was where echoed warnings spilt forth from the lips of old crones made themselves known. How hubris had trapped men in the bodies of sheep, and how careless words spelt out promises that could not be kept. The best deal one could make with a Fae was not to make on-

"So much," Ceria unhelpfully answered with a furrowed brow, exercising a willingness to give without specifying certain ironic doom. It wasn't false; there were a great many things and parts of herself she was willing to part with. Her fairness of face, her memories, and perhaps even who she was granted her desire remained the same.

But offering such things point blank seemed impulsive, even for her.

"What is it that a Patron of Broken Hearts desires?"

• Smug
San Laang adopted a ponderous look as he lifted his left hand and deftly slid the entire small box into the broad, open sleeve with his right. There it became ensconced in whatever state of being any item did that disappeared into overlarge sleeves. Perhaps the same place items went when tossed into a bag of holding.

"The power to capture hearts and minds is not a delicate ask," he admitted, knowing full well the great lengths, efforts, and skill it took to master such a thing like he had. Empathy through music was creative, and he liked it when mortals provided unique opportunities such as this.

"Empathy exacts its own payment ... a balance against the evoked emotion. A tear for a laugh, a spark of anger for a sigh of love... equilibrium must be made of each inspiration. Either upon you, or an observer," the duannan peered at her with intrigue, "and for the price of the skill that I grant you, a debt of equal boons is owed to me for every performance made."

• Thoughtful
Ceria's gaze turned thoughtful; she had anticipated something nefarious but was instead presented with a price that spoke of balance. An opportunistic glint in her eye found the immediate appeal in that such emotion did not have to be self-inflicted. How well and good it would be to gift laughter in the wake of a lament, but what followed a jig could only be misery.

Rather someone else than her.

If those were the terms, plain and simple, then it was as good as a done deal in her mind, but that was not all.

"A debt of equal boons,"
she repeated, considering the words in her mouth to their fullest extent. That was less than clear, evident by the tilt of her head and a single raised eyebrow, "you'd want a favour every time that I played?"

• Smug
"Want is... rather a poor word in this context," San Laang drew it out slowly, flicking his hand once to magic a lovely, hand-painted fan into his grasp.

"You take from my fount of power every time you play," he eyed her over the fan as he brushed it under his nose and past his lips, "and power does not come for free, little human."

"You will pay me for it with favors of my choosing."

• Nervous
Ceria winced, much like one would after dropping cutlery in the dead of night and waking up the entire household while skulking around for a cheeky midnight snack.

Perhaps it might have been easier to have a terse negotiation of careful words with a creature more monstrous. Something crooked, green and with a mighty hunch instead of this elegant creature that lounged around like a sumptuous tropical bird. The coquettish nature of the fan almost made their words less unnerving.

Almost.

"Well, I...ah,"

But the realm of favours was boundless, from the benign to the unthinkable. She clasped her hands together, aware of every nick and cut of dry skin borne from humble farm labour. How bad could it be? Her brow knitted, mouth chewing a new loaded question. Could it be worse than living and dying here and always just wanting?

"...I can do that," she said, the words unsure at first as if spoken on a coin flip before finding solid footing, "yeah, yes, I can. It's fine, that's fine. I agree."

• Smug
The fae's smile broadened with smug satisfaction at those last two words.

SNAP! He closed the fan in a swift flick and leaned forward into a fluid movement that brought him up to a stand. Impossibly tall, statuesque, and surrounded by an aura of poised, inhuman confidence, San Laang tossed aside the folded fan (it disappeared into thin air) and smoothly unfurled that same hand toward the young woman, beckoning her to him, "Good."

She was lucky he was not of the more heathenous sorts that made up many of his kind. There were those that would take far greater advantage, and others still who simply would have eaten her for the opportunity she presented. No, he rather always wanted a little collective of mortals at his beck and call and Ceria would be the first to test the waters with.

"Come and seal your deal."

• Wonder
Were it not for the fact that she had just agreed to perform favours for a creature she knew practically nothing about Ceria might have stopped to marvel.

The elegant form, the exquisite attire, and even the added extra of a fan as a prop added a surreal layer of sheen over what was a life-changing choice. It was like something out of one of her mother's poorly hidden favourite novels, the thought of which was immediately pushed back down the moment it had come up. Some things were best not considered. Ever.

Miss Ythan stepped forward to 'seal the deal' as it was so phrased, a sense of joyous anticipation building as she was forced to crane her head upwards to look upon the Fae.

"And how...exactly do I seal the deal?" Ceria asked the underside of San Laang's chin, an edge of eagnerness in her question. "A contract? A vow? A firm handshake?"

• Smug
"Oh no," the fae's gaze looked down upon her, glimmering like flame caught in amber. His hands lifted to the young woman's jaw where they ensnared her in the way that morning glory vine did anything that it touched, and drew her ever nearer.

"Something much more memorable," San Laang bent at the waist until his face hung just above her own, rimmed in the hellfire red of his hair. His figure gave off the heat of a cozy fireplace after a long day working the fields and suffused itself as stoked desire through the touch of his hands. Before Ceria could say much of anything, he'd drawn her to his lips and into a kiss, pouring into her his power that would sate her burning desires...

...for music and a life lived free from the burden of marriage to a man named Clive Bervie.

• Gasp
Not a firm handshake, then.

Ceria suddenly, and perhaps belatedly, felt the insignificance of being human when his hands were upon her jaw. So very small and powerless. Nothing short of entertainment for a being whom the laws and customs of mankind did not dare to apply. A particular fear gripped her heart for a beat until it swiftly succumbed to something else...

Captivation.

It was like hearing the fiddlers of the Aywick Show for the first time, the sound of those enchanting strings found in the flames masquerading as eyes. Time seemed to stand still in a moment that was welcome forever, warmed by the heat of anticipation, yet it all happened at once in a strange paradox she could not begin to explain.

His lips met hers, and with it, a pact was sealed.

A cruel fate for a first kiss; how could any that followed ever compare? She felt those violin chords sing through her soul, intertwining with the thrum of her heart in perfect rhythm. It was the purest of desire; it was her desire.

Then, just like that, the moment had ended, and Ceria Ythan was, for once in her life, completely lost for words. Yet, in the afterglow, the woman was not entirely devoid of thought.

What a song this would make.

• Cthuulove
And when the young human named Ceria who so bemoaned her fated lot in life finally came back to reality, she would find herself inexplicably alone.

Gone was the box offering and its myriad contents.

Gone was the vision of the fae, no naught but a figment of her past or, perhaps, a dream of delirium experienced in the throes of despair.

Just the tingling of her lips remained and the warmth of hands imprinted upon her jaw.

Just a girl in a big world with new possibilities.