Private Tales Propriety

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"It may be as I have been told: disconcerting and uncomfortable. It may be worse. It may be for you nothing at all."

She began to reach out her hand.

"The road ahead lies shrouded...until walked." Such was the nature of fate.

It should have been as simple as it had always been in the War College. The Assistant Instructors, Penitents all, piously provided their magic for student Praetors to practice on. Small and simple spells at first, working up to ones with more power by the time a student Praetor reached his or her fourth year. There were some student Praetors who experienced what was called a "backlash"—a term borrowed from magic-users, as it so happened, for the effect was something similar. A student Praetor would use their gift on the instance of magic provided by an Assistant Instructor, and for one of two reasons—a fumbling of the gift on the student's part, or simply being overwhelmed—the backlash would occur. Leah had the extent of her Enchantments tested of course, seeing how much magic they could withstand before their power was spent and the effect used up, but never had she outright suffered a backlash.

But she did here.

She touched Nacht's shirt, her Enchantment flowing through her glove and into his shirt, and it should have taken hold. Should have. But the moment she placed her Enchantment upon his shirt was the same moment it was devoured, overcome, its anti-magic effect used up in its entirety. With such suddenness the backlash occurred, sending a tremor up Leah's arm, a sensation first like lightning and then harshly numb.

Leah gasped and staggered a step back. Eyes wide with a feeling most foreign and uncharacteristic of her:

Shock.

Nacht

"Well then, so be it. Can't be anything worse than sparring for hours a day." Nacht said with a grin, pulling a full body robe out of his bag, black as night. This is how he would hide from the sun after his magic became no longer available. What sort of resistance could Leah put up anyway to something so innocuous? Only as much as "I'm very cold all of the sudden" could break down. The umbrella should make a fine substitute for the mask, which honestly was the last thing Nacht wanted to put on anyway. However, he needn't have created a countermeasure at all, because he pretty much never lost his power. Where Leah's fingers gently touched him, a mark appeared. However, a black skull also appeared around that mark. It's jaws closed down and shattered the emblem, ending in a toothy smile. As he fell to his knees from the pain now coursing through his entire body from the reaction of a spell ending so suddenly, his eyes rolled back into his head and he froze for a second, the whites of his eyes showing.

He felt himself fading, and as he did a single question stuck out: I didn't do that. So...Who did? His eyes then began turning black as midnight. After a few breaths, his eyes took on a coloration so dark it was as if he had no eyes at all. Yet he somehow still managed to sightlessly stare at Leah's own wide eyes, teeth gritting. "I did not CONSENT TO THAT!" he yelled in a guttural roar, scaring patrons of the street. Well, he obviously had, so who was in control now? Immediately the vibe of their encounter changed. Any trace of the self-sacrificial and curious boy was gone, and only a wrathful specter seemed to be left speaking. "You seem to like your parents. Touch me again with whatever you just used and their HEADS will HANG IN MY WINDOWS! AS FOR THEIR BODIES, I'VE BEEN NEEDING NEW CURTAINS!" whoever this was spat, their every word filled to the brim with venom. Now, obviously, this was not normal, nor had it happened before. Nacht was not even close to the same conditions as he needed to be to turn.

Even so, magic such as Leah's not only impacted Nacht. It also worked on the one inside of him, the one who destroyed Leah's gift without so much as a breath. That link to the outside had allowed him minor control.
Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, the control was gone as quickly as it began. Nacht slumped to the floor, utterly exhausted. His eyes began to clear, first becoming totally white and then rolling back to the part where he had his pupils and irises. Heh...I'm afraid your friend isn't going to be quite as nice as she was before. Actually, I'm counting on it. This line echoed in his mind and when it finished, he suddenly forgot everything that had happened. "Right, so. Can you erase my magic for a while like we discussed?" he asked, once again completely innocuous.

Leah Kadashal