Private Tales Money Talks

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Why didn't you just do that to begin?" Vincent heartily laughed at the sound of bouncing coins. He reminisced of when pickpocketing was a necessity for him. After his laughter died down, he let out a small sigh. "Instead, you lost a gamble, and now you're here."

He walked in silence for some time, occasionally shifting Alexandra on his back.

"Do you have a plan? After reaching Oban, I mean. Starting over from scratch... it's never easy."

Lailah's forlorn expression warmed at the sound of his laugh and her cheeks dimpled in a grin.. "I had until the end of the night to make back the coin I lost him. Where do you think I got the coin that I put down on the bet? I worked for hours to get hold of that stake. And putting it all on that bet was a quick way to get the rest of it. I knew you'd win, and then you completely fucked me over.." she muttered with a half smirk.

She was wary as they made their way back through the streets, and she stuck close to Vincent any time she saw groups of Jamrocks. She hated not having a hood to hide herself under, she felt exposed. Alexandra quickly became restless each time Lailah took her hand away, and each time she stroked at the woman's back and uttered a soft word of assurance she eased.

Vincent's question pulled a sigh from her lips and her head shook.. "Honestly, no. I just wanted to get as far from this place as I could without freezing to death. Oban is a wealthy place. Plenty for the picking." she smiled dryly. "Sadly I don't have much else going for me.."

• Sip
Reactions: Vincent
”Aye, I should’ve won. Easily, at that.” But, he didn’t. Made a pretty penny off of that one as well.

He frowned and gazed down for a moment.

”Why not... why not stay around the Lady for a while? Helena likes you. There’s more work than... taking clients. I can vouch for you. It’ll be good to lie low.”

• Bless
Reactions: Lailah
Lailah’s eyes rolled at his assurance, her lips twisting in amusement as she glanced up at him with a grumble. “Mh. Well if I’d known I was putting my coin on a hustler I’d have thought twice..” she smirked.

She could hear the murmurings of a small group of men go quiet as they passed and eyes burned into the trio. Lailah's boots shuffled as she nervously picked up pace.

“Stay?.. Thought you’d have wanted me well out of your hair by now, Little Van.”. She have a husky laugh as she glanced over her shoulder.. The men were peeling away from their group and heading in different directions. She chewed on her lip for a moment’s thought and returned her attention to the path ahead.

“I should really get out of the city. I’ll only bring more trouble to the door..” she frowned but forced a smile up at him. “I appreciate the offer..”

Last edited:
  • Dab
"Well," his expression twisted in a grimace at Little Van, but a smirk soon replaced it, "I appreciate you not flaking out on this. Seems the girls like you, too."

Just as hers did, Vincent's gaze fell forward. She could've run off, stolen from the bordello even. Yet she stayed. Helped him with getting Alexandra.

"If you won't stay, at least let me help you get out of here."

• Bless
"And I like them.." she added quickly. She'd been on her own for a long time before falling in with some less than savoury people. Having breakfast at the bordello over light-hearted chatter had been refreshing, and although a simple thing, it'd been the warmest she'd felt in years and she'd felt herself thaw if only a little.

"I just, don't want to cause any more trouble than I already have. They won't stop looking. He wants to keep me around but it's the second time I've ran and I doubt a third warning is on the cards. I'd be stupid to stick around.. Even if I wanted to." she glanced up at him, and her expression softened as a warm smile curled at her lips.

"Alright.. If you must." her shoulder shrugged with a smirk, and she paused to glance up and down the Main Street before stepping onto it. Almost there.

• Bless
Vincent quickly cut across the street to duck into one of the alleyways that led behind the bordello. It didn't do well for the place's image, to carry a raggedy, unconscious woman through the front door.

After setting Alex into a room prepared for her, Vincent sat on the edge of the kitchen's table, arms folded across his chest. Helena, who'd grown more than accustomed to seeing friends and coworkers fall down the deep hole of drugs, had told them that Alex would be, most likely, fine. The girls would keep an eye on her throughout the detox period.

"Why's he want you back so badly? You speak like he'd tear down the Inner City just to find you." Gang bosses, no matter how scary, didn't have the same power in the Inner City as they did in the Outer City. Vincent lightly chewed on the tip of his thumbnail. Unless... La Puta Madre had a hold of the Inner City. Not many had ever even seen him in person, let alone know him. He was as elusive as he was powerful.

Even then, The Lucky Lady was safe, or so Vincent had always told himself.

"You special or something?" He turned his head towards Lailah, brow raised.

• Thoughtful
Lailah hopped up onto the table beside him, trying not to get in the way.. She could hear the woman groaning and the sound caused a shudder rolling across her back, something that urged her to go and sit with the woman, an instinct she long ago chose to start ignoring. She rubbed at her brow instead and huffed quietly at Vincent's question..

"He might." her brows rose and she mimicked him by folding her arms across her chest, her teeth latching onto her lower lip to chew, the skin there already ragged and torn from the recently developed habit.

"He likes that I keep him calm.." she answered with a shrug, omitting certain other details that there was no need to discuss. "I'm nothin' special." she muttered and lifted an apple from the table to take a bite.

"So, you worked here huh?.." she asked delicately without looking up.

• Popcorn
Vincent quietly listened. Kept him calm, eh? His expression didn't change. He didn't ask. Just respectfully nodded in acknowledgment.

His thumb fell from his mouth as he heard her crunch on an apple.

"Yeah," he mumbled, "Back when I was pretty. Not a lot of boys have ever worked here. I was young, small, and skinny. Brought women here for business. Some men, too." He absently nodded, lips tightly pursed. It had been ages ago. Ages.

"Went from taking customers... then I could start growing a beard, picked up a few scars, some muscle. Less appealing, that." He leaned back on his hands. "Then went to scaring off the trash. People that would get a little too rough with the girls. Drunks, too. Roughed up those that didn't want to pay."

Vincent looked over his shoulder at Lailah, "Surprise you?"

• Bless
Lailah's brow furrowed as she listened to him speak. She was trying not to look like she held pity for him, just as she wouldn't assume the girls wanted any. Her expression remained neutral despite her mind considering how horrible a life it seemed. She kept her attention on her apple as she chewed and took another bite, licking the sweet juice from her lips as he directed the question at her..

"Yes." she answered honestly. He didn't exactly look like a man whore, it would've been stupid to say she hadn't been surprised. "But I'm not judging." she shrugged, returning her grey gaze to study his face for a moment.

"They're lucky to have you around. I know I could sure use a bit of rough." she grinned and nudged at his side with a wink as she took another bite of her apple.

• Love
Vincent's face lit up with mirth as her elbow jabbed his side. He softly snorted and turned to face her. Vividly electric blues gave her an exaggerated once-over as a very smug smile painted over his features.

"You couldn't afford me."

He pushed himself up off the table and stared down at her, meeting her gaze with crackling intensity. "But, if you can make the coin in Oban, you're always welcomed to seek me out." He jerked his head towards the door. "Come on, let's go tell Georgiana."

• Love
His cheerfulness was infectious and she smiled so wide that her cheeks dimpled and she dropped her gaze to bite on her lip and suppress a laugh.. Her feet kicked as they dangled above the ground.. "I guess not.." she smiled, and lifted her eyes to him as he stood, meeting his glacier gaze. His eyes seemed to draw the air from her lungs, as though she was being pulled into a frozen lake, where underneath the myriad shades of blue swirled together to form a perilous whirlpool that she dared not stare at for too long for fear of drowning.

Her teeth shone at him once more as he spoke of seeking him out and she gave a short nod, feeling her cheeks warm slightly and she cleared her throat as she slipped from the table.. "Careful what you wish for, Little Van. Trouble is never too far behind me." she chuckled and followed to see Georgiana, the sound of Alexandra's whimpering like a tendril to her ears as she passed her room.

"Perhaps I'll stay one more night. I can head out early tomorrow.." she rumbled as they climbed the stairs.

"Do I seem shy about trouble?" He asked back to her as they climbed the wooden stairs. The stone walls of the cellar became smooth grey walls as they walked the halls. Vincent pushed the door open to Georgiana's office and brazenly walked through, leaving it open behind him for Lailah to follow.

Vincent stiffly waved to the woman, whose raven locks were up in a fancy bun. She wore a black dress. "Georgiana, good morning. Brought her back. Considering she's been heavily indulging in all manner of nasty drugs, Alex's condition is alright."

"That's good. Was she-"

"Yeah. Aidan's."

"Jamrocks," Georgiana hissed, then sighed. "The two of you are welcome to stay for the next few days if needed. That's all."

Vincent nodded in thanks and exited. He turned his attention back to Lailah after they'd walked from her office.

"You should stay. Help me wash sheets and undergarments." He dryly chuckled. A joke, but his sour expression was evidence enough that he wasn't up to cleaning by himself. "Tomorrow, maybe I can slip you some coin before you leave. Help you on your way. I've got plenty."

Lailah smirked at his question though she took it as rhetorical and didn't bother to answer. She stepped into Georgiana's office and closed the door behind her to lean against it as she listened with her lips twisting in thought, and at the offer to stay, Lailah dipped her chin politely in thanks and wandered out.

Her ash eyes rolled and she wore a playful grin as she looked up at him.. "Gods, Van. If I say I'll stay for a few days will you stop begging me?" . Her head shook in amusement but she sighed and nodded more seriously. "A few days. Then I'm gone... Thank you." she smiled sincerely.

"And I know you've got plenty, you cheating bastard. I appreciate the offer, but I've accepted enough charity, I won't take your coin, no matter how you earned it. I'll earn my own."

• Dab
"Changed your mind now, huh!" He scoffed and smirked over his shoulder at her. Just last night, she'd demanded him to hand over his coin. "Show a little kindness, and you soften right up."

His smirk eased up, "You won't regret it." Well, he says that now. By the Gods, if he had to suffer cleaning stained sheets, so would she.

That evening and the next passed by rather calmly, save for the frequent fits Alex went into. Each time, Lailah seemed to calm her right down, much to the amazement of all the girls. Vincent, too. As the last of the patrons cleared from the foyer, Vincent helped in tidying up. Afterward, he fixed himself a drink and leaned against the bar. Helena and a few others sat there too, chatting away about their workday. Complaints, laughter, and good spirits filled the room.

Up until a group of men in blue and gold strolled in through the front door. They were well-dressed; proper looking men all the way up to their faces. One glance at them and you could tell... they were trouble. Vincent almost slammed his glass on the counter and twisted it with his thumb and middle finger.

"We're closed, lads."

• Wonder
Lailah's jaw clenched at his teasing and she huffed. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been shown kindness. Perhaps she was drawn to it. She'd spent so long cold, miserable and bitter that she seemed to cling to any opportunity to feel something warmer, as her true nature had intended her to be. It wouldn't last, it rarely did, but she'd enjoy the company whilst she could.

"Doubtful.." she bantered back at him with a smirk.

~~~~

"Not for us, you ain't... 'lad'." an older man built like a wild animal pointed a club at Vincent in response before slamming it into his palm and glancing to the six men flanked at either side of him who fanned out, strolling around casually, armed too with clubs and steel rods.

"But not to worry.. This ain't a social visit. We just come to fetch that little dove you got caged up in here. Pretty thing, bout yae big." he held up a hand to signify Lailah's height, a grin creasing at his eyes as he stared at Vincent in mute warning before lifting his gaze up to let it search the balconies above. "We know she's 'ere.." his gaze narrowed, and the six other men started smashing what they could.

Lailah had stepped out of the tub and wrapped herself in fresh linens when she heard the chaos. Her wet footprints darkened the wood underfoot as she crept toward the doorway and peeked out. Her heart sank, but she bit on her lip and pressed her back to the wall to stay hidden, her eyes closing with a silent sigh.

"And if she ent back by tomorra night!!.." he added, his voice much louder as he assumed Lailah to be listening. "Her -and- what she owes. We'll burn the fuckin' lot down, birds and all..." he smiled, and his hands splayed out at either side of him theatrically as the others continued to smash, but they stopped as he whistled a shrill sound through his teeth. "Supposin' we got an understandin' .. 'lad', we'll be on our way." the man winked, and rose a brow as though daring a retaliation.

• Cthulhoo rage
Vincent remained silent, arms folded and jaw clenched. Even as they brandished clubs and rods. Even as they broke vases, smashed furniture, and made a complete mess of the lounge.

Seven of ‘em. Stay calm. Don’t get provoked... Where the hell is Georgiana?

In the hallway where Lailah hid, a deep chill would bite at her bones. Not a physical chill, but the chill that prey in the wilderness would feel as they sensed danger. The feeling that a trained warrior would feel when their life was in danger. Though, of course, the little dove was anything but endangered as the seething maelstrom that was the bordello’s proprietor passed by her, not even sparing so much as a glance her way.

The candles that lit the hall flickered and waned as Georgiana passed, her violet eyes ablaze with fury. Dark footprints remained in her wake, a faint dark haze rising from the shapes of her footfalls.

Gentlemen,” the presence of her voice betrayed her five-foot-nine, lithe frame. The chandelier that hung over the room rattled and the lights dimmed as her skinny fingers tightly grasped the balcony’s rail. “I have many girls here, as you should very well be aware. The little dove,” she spat, “you are in search of is not here.”

Perhaps it was the low light, but Georgiana had the appearance as if a shadow coiled around her, a thin haze rising from her skin. Even the ends of her raven hair seemed enraged as they lightly floated behind her.

Vincent was always curious about her past; he had heard rumors that she was once a fearsome sorceress, but he would never be certain of it. He couldn’t even see the haze that shrouded her. Couldn’t feel her terrifying presence.

Now,” she hissed at the goons, “LEAVE. While I still permit it.”

• Wonder
Lailah's eyes snapped open on Georgiana and she bit back a breath, her shoulders jolting in fright. She pressed herself a little more firmly against the wall as she watched the woman stride toward her, and for the first time since meeting the woman, she felt afraid of her. Goosebumps bloomed over her alabaster skin and a shiver danced it's way across her spine, lingering on the back of her neck. But she walked by, and Lailah's grey eyes stared timidly as she watched her pass, the breath she'd been holding escaping in a shudder.

She listened by the doorway as the woman commanded the room, and she could physically feel the room grow silent and still in her presence. Lailah's eyes teared and her fingers clutched the linen tightly against her chest as Georgiana lied for her. The guilt was crushing, and she pressed the back of her wrist against her lips to suppress any audible breaths as panic threatened to take over.

The man straightened up as Georgiana spoke, his fingers tightening on the club that he held in mute threat should she decide to take a step closer to him.. "Aye.. Boss said you wouldn't be too pleased to see us, M'lady." he bowed theatrically, a grin wrinkling his features. "Would be a shame if you were lyin' teh us though. Sure would put a dent in our professional, workin' relationship, Miss Georgiana..." he chortled, but as the woman raised her voice his expression paused and his gaze widened. The others failed to maintain their own composure, and started filing out the door.

"As you please, M'lady.. A pleasant evenin'." he smirked and tipped his hat before stepping backward out of the door, and as soon as Lailah heard it close, she rushed back to Van's room, bare feet slapping on the floor and the door slamming behind her.

• Bless
Georgiana clicked her tongue and watched them with a venomous glare as they left. After a lengthy silence filled the room, she finally looked to Vincent and the others.

“Well? Let’s at least get this mess cleaned up.”

When Vincent returned to his room, far later in the evening than he would have liked to, he was freshly bathed. A towel hung around his neck and down his bare chest. Perhaps he expected that Lailah would have ran off. Truthfully, he didn’t know what to expect, but he certainly hadn’t expected to see the little dove hiding in his room, still wrapped in her towel.

He raised a brow. Did she feel guilty? Embarrassed? Wouldn’t do much good bringing up the goons now.

Vincent smirked at her, ”This isn’t an invitation, is it?” he gave her an exaggerated once-over with those vibrant blues of his, ”sorry to keep you waiting.”

• Devil
Lailah had given up pacing. Frankly she was surprised that she hadn't worn tracks into the floor. She'd been frantic with panic and had only just managed to calm herself down as she sat by the fire, arms wrapped around her knees as she stared absently into the flames. Her things were on the bed, freshly washed thanks to Helena, and her coin sat in stacks next to her, counted and still nowhere near what she owed but it'd have to do.

She looked up as the door clicked open, the soft frown on her brow melting for a brief pause in her expression, her grey eyes lingering a little longer than she'd intended on his naked torso.. Words stuck to the back of her throat, plastering themselves to her tongue and refusing to dispel onto the palpable air. She cleared her throat and blinked the daze from her mind and her frown returned, accompanied by a half smirk at his words.. "You wish.." she mused and with a glance down at herself, she suddenly realised how long she'd been sitting here. Her hair had dried into loose waves, and she ran her fingers through it before getting to her feet and clutching the towel to her chest, keeping her tattoo'd and scarred back to the wall and she leaned back.

"Just getting ready to leave. I didn't want to run off without thanking you, I just couldn't face Georgiana." she frowned, her eyes cast down at her toes which curled uncomfortably. "Will you tell her I'm sorry, for the damages? I'll try to repay her when I can.." her lips pursed, and she found her throat aching at the thought of leaving behind the strange comfort she'd felt in the most unexpected of establishments.

• Cry
”She doesn’t care about the...”. he dismissively waved his hand, ”... the damages. You don’t have a debt to her. Worse has happened before, you know.”

He sighed and leaned against the door, crossing his arms as he looked at her things laid out over his bed.

”Let me at least see you off,” he whispered, ”Just let me get dressed.”

He didn’t wait for an answer and moved across the room to fish out old clothes from a dresser. There wouldn’t be any ships leaving until the morning, so whether they stayed at the inn or found a place near the docks to lay low, they would have to wait regardless.

”You know, you’ll always have friends here. Helena wanted you to know that.”

• Bless
Lailah’s eyes lifted to him as he reassured her. She couldn’t have looked more guilty if she tried, but she couldn’t help but give in to a small smile as he offered to accompany her. The mention of friends caused the ache to fall into her chest and her heart sank. She rubbed at her brow and pushed herself away from the wall, reaching to gently grip at his forearm to stop him as he rummaged for clothes.

“I’m not going to the docks, Van. I won’t be going far at all, so I guess you get to keep me in Alliria, right?..” she smirked but it was forced and weak.

“Don’t try and talk me out of it. If I don’t go back they’ll just return with more of them and I feel bad enough over some smashed up furniture, I can’t handle any of the girls getting hurt over it..” she frowned.. “Thanks. For trying to help. I’ll be alright.” she sighed with another small smile in reassurance.

• Cthulhoo rage
”What? That’s ridiculous. Go to Oban where you don’t have to even think about this place again.” He turned to face her. Vincent looked down at Lailah, but he certainly didn’t tower over her. He gently pulled his arm from her grip. ”I’m going to talk you out of it. You’re not going. What even guarantees they won’t come back even if you do go?”

He folded his arms across his bare chest.

”We can take care of ourselves, here. You should do the same with yourself and just... take your chance at freedom while you can.”

• Bless
Her smile was meant as reassurance, but it was also sort of nice to know that anyone gave a fuck enough to try and talk her out of it at all, and she couldn't help but let her lips curl despite how hopeless she felt.. "They won't have any cause to come back if I go back." she answered with a huff. "I'll have other chances, smarter chances. Until then it'll just be a slap on the wrist and a tighter leash for a while." she mused, but it wasn't all that amusing and she found it difficult to convince her face to show anything other than disappointment and dread.

Her eyes fell on his chest and her cheeks warmed slightly, her lips twisting. She kept hold of her towel and turned to nudge at his ribs with an elbow, trying her best to lighten the atmosphere a little. "Don't be sad, little Van. I'm as free as a fucking bird."..A little dove.

She stepped back.. "Now let me change and stop being a pervert."

• Cry
Vincent cast his gaze down and away from Lailah as she poked his ribs. His lips tightly pursed and he breathed out a heavy sigh from his nose. After an uncomfortable silence, he just nodded.

”Sure,” he eased past her and exited the room, where he leaned against the wall and waited for her to come out.

• Cry