Completed Mind Matters

It was not the first time he had gone through some horrible memories and thoughts, he lived with his own every single day. When he thought of it, his left side seemed to burn with a magical energy but also a sort of deep hate and vengeance. It was uncomfortable, but it was the price he paid, the price they paid. He watched her rise, the playfulness vanishing from her body language and voice. Pale purple eyes watched her with patience and understanding, but also with danger and seriousness.

Azlum repeated himself quietly in order to make her see the gravity of the power she would wield, "Mind magic is dangerous. You can see and do things that are irreversible. I admire your playful nature, I wish I was more like that, but this is a serious matter." He walked a little closer to her, keeping his voice calm and steady, "I apologize for seeing what you don't want people to see. What you have locked away. Perhaps one day, you'll see what I have locked away."

He turned away from her and walked back to his original spot, his nose slightly bleeding from his exertion. His hand reached into the cloak and produced a handkerchief and wiped the blood away silently. "Do you have a stone or rune that you use to channel magic?" He asked her, trying to get the topic back to the subject at hand, "Or do you use your body as the catalyst? Either way, I think it's time to at least try and get you to work on reading thoughts."

"Apologies are unnecessary." She quipped tersely. Her upbringing had been honorable and necessary. Her mother sacrificed so that she could have immortal life. She held no shame in it, though she did not enjoy the memories pried from her forcefully.

The corner of her mouth lifted in a smirk, though it lacked the flirtattion and playfulness she's been conveying absent and instead stilled with confidence. He insisted on his warnings, doing all he could to instill that importance in her mind. Whether it was retained would have to be seen.

Her digits grasped at a crimson stone, attached by a gilded chain that rested perfectly against her collarbone. Vibrant against her pale skin.

"It's been in the family for centuries. Eventually the wearer becomes strong enough to bear the magic physically, but for now, I draw on this."

Azlum nodded to her, "Right then, I need you to focus. It's kind of like using manipulation magic but instead of getting the person to listen to you, you're listening to them." He positioned himself closer to the edge of he sofa and stared at her, "Put all of your effort into getting into my mind. Use the stone and draw upon it, it should make it a lot easier and clearer. Got it? Okay. I'm going to think of something and I want you to tell me what you see."

He closed his eyes but opened them back up, "Oh, another thing, you'll be able to feel the other parts of my mind that are locked away. Do not get close to them." His last words were a little harsh and threatening. A deep breath escaped his lips and he started to think of a house. The house stood in an open field, behind it a wall of trees that looked menacing and deadly. Dark clouds formed above the forest but the area outside of it looked beautiful and clear. Once again Azlum warned her, "Remember, do not get close to it. Just tell me what you see if anything."

The metallic smell of his blood lingered on the handkerchief he had used to wipe at the spilled crimson. It made her mouth water, the constant hunger for it coming to the forefront of her mind. But she was used to hunger.

An absent tongue flicked across her bottom lip, focusing on his words. The family Nocterose had not chosen Lenuta without reason, her very existence crafted and planned. She had not even been an ordinary human, the whispers of others minds spied without true intent, though they were muddled and unfocused. She had easily learned the basics of magic, tapping into a source and flourishing it out.

She steeled herself. Her brows knotted faintly as she extended the same magic towards him as before, yet instead of insisting her will on him, she waded. Her pry was tentative, delicately prodding to assure she did not dive too deeply.

"Is that your childhood home?" She inquired, hints of the previous impish mood returning to her voice. "It looks as if a storm might be rolling in.." Tempted as she was, she remained obedient, reassuring that one day she would break through his chests just as he had hers. But today was not that day.

Her question made him pause for a second, the memory he was showing her growing a little fuzzy and the scenery started to change and bleed into one that looked like a library. Azlum gained control once more and the scene shifted back to the house, "No," He finally answered, "It's my Grandparents' house. I stayed there a lot as a young boy, you can go inside and look around. As for the storm.." His voice trailed off but came back, "It's not a storm don't worry about. Just don't go towards the forest."

Getting closer to the house revealed a smaller shack in the back, its doors wide open and various deer carcasses hung up inside. Azlum explained the scene, "My Grandfather is a butcher, he used to take me hunting in those woods and taught me a thing or two about butchering. He still owns a shop today."

Stepping inside the house was a contrast of the shack. It was clean and tidy, many books adorned the walls and a shelf with beautiful teacups and kettles encased in glass stole much of the attention. Again he explained, "My Grandmother has always been fond of tea. She made me my first cup of tea and we have both shared that in common often." The attention turned to the different books that lined the other wooden shelves, "I grew up in a library, my parents.." He paused slightly but continued, "Were both librarians, and I spent much of my time reading and helping them. That is why I'm so fascinated with your collection of books. Please continue to look around at your leisure."

He explained his memories as she wandered through the scene he had set in his mind, drawing from reality to create his own realm. She wandered it freely, listening to his narration whilst her gaze continued to drift towards the windows.

Dark and foreboding, the 'storm' that brewed above the line of foliage called for her. Her temptations grew stronger, even as she distracted herself with the books that lined the walls, reading their titles before placing them back.

"You protest, yet with so many books here, I'm sure you must have fondled at least one or two." She jested, lighthearted words acting as a distraction. Something roiled within her. A boldness that encouraged her to test her true strength, rather than gingerly pacing the map that he had laid out for her. She swelled, creating more permanence in his mind as she trodded more heavily, exiting the house.

"..And where are these chests you mentioned earlier?"

Her words did force a light chuckle from him as he answered in kind, "Possibly when I was younger it might have happened. But I have no knowledge of it." She looked at the books, some of which were one of a kind, some of which were more popular. All of them were cared for deeply and looked almost brand new. He noticed her attention going to the windows the longer she stayed in the house.

She exited the house with a new sense of purpose and her strength growing more, "This is good. You're getting the hang of it." However, her next question was a bold one and Azlum answered her truthfully, "There are no chests, it's a metaphor. However, those boundaries lie within the forest." He said it almost as an invitation, he was curious as to what she would do with this knowledge. He wouldn't stop her if she ventured into the woods now that she had grown more powerful in his mind. But he would stop her if she went too far, some things were not meant to be seen, especially those secrets hidden in the heart of the woods.

The forest loomed ominously, the dark clouds swirling into a slow vortex, giving off a painful and tormented presence. The trees stood still, frozen in place while the sky above contrasted the peaceful earth below. Still, the sky above the house showed no signs of trouble, like it was one of the most peaceful things he had encountered in his life.

Lenuta was more than getting the hang of it. She was flourishing. This magic flowed through her easily, welcoming her into its mysticism and flooding her core.

"I knew it was a metaphor.." She muttered with a roll of her eyes as she made her way towards the forest. She was not discouraged by the looming darkness, nor the shadows that stretched within. He had so easily torn her open and peered into everything that she was, and she was eager for it to be her turn.

She couldn't help but wonder what else she was capable of in his mind. She turned an eye over her shoulder, looking at the house curiously. Slowly, a small flower budded, just below a window. The bud reached upwards towards the perfect sky, ebony petals unraveling to rival that of the swirling clouds she headed towards. An arrogant smirk produced at her lips as she turned back towards the wood, welcoming the void.

Azlum opened his eyes in the real world and looked at her, he didn't know if he should shut her out or allow her to prod deeper. His right hand instinctively squeezed and rubbed his left arm and he closed his eyes once more.

As she delved deeper into the forest more scenes lay before her, his mother and father happily helping him study. All the times he spent at his Grandparents' home learning how to hunt and butcher but also to make a mean cup of tea. Further down the memories seemed to get darker, a rainy night with a dying Orc, a group of slaves herded to their deaths, the many bruises and deep cuts giving to him in a dark prison. Even further the memories took a turn for the worst, more torture even worse than before, a village of dead men, women, and children, the taste of vomit still fresh in the throat, and finally to a lone tower in the middle of the forest.

Men in robes stared at him as he was greeted openly, but their minds were corrupted with thoughts of political power. He was used as a tool for political blackmail. He knew information he shouldn't and gave it to the head mage for more knowledge of his powers. But soon the scene faded away as he hung by chains in a dungeon by his hands and feet. Naked and afraid, the head mage whipped him, sliced him, berated him, beat him, and finally branded him with the mark of a now dead guild on his right pelvis. The pain immense and the magical explosion that burst from his body even more immense as the skin ripped from his left side. Tens of dead bodies lay before him as he escaped, malnourished, alone, and hunted.

His mental walls doubled in thickness as they one by one locked her out and pushed her away, even the house she was at earlier a decrepit shell of its former glory. The flower withered and rotted now showing his mental state.

His eyes opened once more and he rose from the sofa silently and walked to the door, "I believe we can call it a day there. Good job." His voice shook slightly as he stepped out of the room.

She waltzed into the unknown with deliberation. She did not know what she would find, and she also did not care. Characters and landscapes formed around her as she wandered deeper and deeper. There was no resistance that she could feel, even if he was trying, joys and fears forming before her one after the other. Trials and turmoil swiftly became the theme of his life. His early years of a happy family life fading away as he grew stronger and more knowledgable in the ways of the mind.

A hand clutched tightly at her chest, off-guard and surprised the agony that filled her with every moment of anguish. No longer did she feel as an outsider peering at the reel of his life, but she lived it. The guilt and depression. The pain. Every lash hit him as if it were her own flesh, fresh and intense as she were once again alive.

The fear. The likes of which she had not before experienced. No longer did she have to worry for her life, but in his memories, she cried just as he did, lamenting in loneliness. She felt the surge of absolute power wreck her body and tear her flesh. An instant later she was back in the library, his form sweeping passed her.

She gasped, the hand that gripped the arm of the sofa holding nothing more than splintered wood as salty drops poured from amber eyes. Her body defaulted, breathing heavily though it did not need the oxygen. Her head turned ever-so-slightly, a side-eyed gaze following his shadow as he exited the room.

She looked down at her hands. Unmarred and pristine. A thrill ran down her spine as she remembered the feel of that surge that left death in its wake, her lips stretching faintly in a dazed smile.

"I want that power."

The door closed behind him and he drew a breath and looked down the hallway where he came from. It called to him and told him that the money wasn't worth the torment of reliving those memories. However, he found himself aimlessly wandering the halls even though he knew through her own memories where he was and where he was going.

Soon he found himself outside in the courtyard, staring out at the gate and wondering what to do. An attendee walked up to him and asked him if he was well, Azlum nodded to him, "Yes. I think so. Tell me, where is your nearest tub?" He felt filthy. His flesh felt like it was being pulled from him all over again. He just wanted to soak in some water and collect his thoughts alone.

The attendee brought him to the nearest bathroom and it was bigger than he thought it would be. The room looked like it shouldn't be used and if it were it would be a crime. Azlum brushed the thought away and started the tub, slowly removing his clothes as he didn't even want to look at himself. Almost all of his body was covered in some sort of scar, his right side had slices and stabs that ran from his shoulders and back to his ankles and only one on his foot.

The water felt good enveloping him, the warmth of it felt like it took some of the regret and hurt off of his body but he knew it didn't. It was only his mind wanting to mend whatever was left of it. His eyes closed slowly as he could feel exhaustion creeping up on him.

The goblet that had been patiently resting at the unused desk waited no longer as Lenuta gulped down the contents. Her hunger had grown insatiable since Azlum's nose had begun to bleed. She reveled in the taste, her tongue catching a stray drop of crimson that tried to escape. There was no more reason for her to remain in the library, her steps following the mage's own.

She was more capable now, her mind reaching out and feeling the corridor before she even placed a foot out the door. Satisfaction wrought her features as she began to feel the minds of others throughout the manor, her gait carrying her aimlessly around. Her fingers laced together and supported the back of her head, carelessness emanating from her as she explored her home anew.

It was easy to find her tutor, seeking some much-needed relaxation. She prodded lightly, his mind weary with exhaustion. They had both seen each other's nightmares, the lesson finished and allowing her to return to her crafty mischief. Why not play with his dreams? Her stride carried her to one of the many sitting rooms. Elaborately decorated in a theme of nature, this room burst with evergreen and umber hues. The furniture was expertly carved to mimic natural growth, the chaise she lay down on looking as if branches had sprouted from the ground just to have cushioning placed on it to support her lithe body.

She continued to prod, her mind slipping seamlessly into his barely conscious mind. And what to do now that she was in there? The bathroom he had been lead to was unlike most. The bath was sunken deep into the floor, the water luxuriously warm and filled with perfumes, oil, and petals. His entire form had easily slipped entirely in aqua, allowing him to bathe fully.

Lentua began to garden, his mind her fertile soil, her imagination the seeds.
"Ribbit!" A croak came from behind him, loud and obnoxious. Then another, and another. A cacophony of noisy frogs littering the floor behind him, their eyes large, mouths comically painted with fuchsia lips.

Azlum slipped deeper into sleep, the pull of its soft hands lulling him into a false sense of security. He fell into the void, eventually feeling like he landed on the softest bed he had ever known. But he was soon pulled from it and recognized the bathroom that he was in. He lifted his head and looked up to see his mother staring down at him, her smile as golden as ever.

"Hello my darling." She crooned as she used to when he was a small child. He couldn't take his eyes off of her, "Hello mother. It's been a while." She laughed softly and nodded, "It has, hasn't it? Look at how you've grown. Your father and I are so worried about you. We were so happy and proud when you left to go with Batrand. But we heard of your terrible fate, and now we're worried. Come back home, please." The face of his mother contorted into one of sorrow and guilt.

Azlum leaned forward to touch his mother's hand, "No, I'm alive. I'm still here. Look! I'll come home, I miss you. I miss both of you. I just want to be happy. I just-"

Ribbit!

What was that? Azlum stopped and blinked.

Ribbit!

Now there were more. More than one, more than two. Azlum turned to see many frogs sprawled on the floor behind him, their eyes much larger than normal and their lips painted.

Ribbit!

"What's going on?" His mother questioned behind him. He turned thinking she was talking about the frogs, but instead she was fading into nothing. Azlum tried desperately to pull her to him but her hand faded from his and she slowly turned into the background. "No.. No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Mom! Mommy! Don't-"

She was gone. The only thing in front of him was darkness, an empty void that screamed in silence. Azlum sat in the tub crying, trying to drown out the frogs as their croaks burrowed deep into him.

What had been meant as a harmless prank turned sour, her interruption of his dream leading only to more sorrow. Lenuta brushed away the pang of guilt that hit her motionless heart. Frowning slightly as her scheme gave an undesirable outcome.

The ribbiting died down, the frogs opening their mouths to instead fill the harmonic bathroom with a melodic lullaby, gentle and soothing. Their voices were all the same feminine lilt, their bodies vanishing one by one until all that was left was the comforting song.

She left his dream alone at that, blinking up at the ceiling with a frown.

"Even in his sleep, he's a wet blanket." She scoffed to herself, shaking her head before rising. The goblet had not been enough to sate her hunger. This time, she wanted something fresher.

Suddenly awaking in a bathtub naked wasn't exactly the nice relaxation that Azlum was anticipating. He looked over to where his mother once was and sighed before getting out and drying off.

Stepping out the room he felt oddly uncomfortable, even more so than before. As if someone was with him in the room. He shook the thought away and walked back to the library. As he entered the room he started talking, "If we are done here can I leave now?" But she was nowhere to be found, and he sighed deeply and walked back out of the room in order to find her and get his payment.

He found a couple of attendees and asked them her whereabouts but none of them seemed to know. Even after a bath he would be forced to use his powers to find her. He reached his mind out and searched, eventually finding her and following her thoughts.

Blood was the only thing on her mind. Her father assured her that she would grow used to it, the constant hunger. For now she simply had to endure.

She carried herself down to the main floor, pausing for a moment as she mulled over what she wanted. She was still a young vampire, discouraged from partaking in blood from the very source, and instead made to drink preserved blood. She was tired of it, but also did not want to disobey her father. She gave an unnecessary sigh and headed towards the kitchens.

He found her in the kitchen, a big kitchen to be precise. He expected no less from nobles. She was drinking blood, but something was off about it, it wasn't fresh blood it was preserved just for her. Azlum unfortunately knew the difference.

"Can I leave now?" He questioned as he leaned against the doorway. He didn't want to be there in the first place, yet here he was, a terrible tutor to a terribly childish immortal girl. His curiosity getting the better of him, he asked, "Did you do something to me while I was in the bath?" He didn't know if he wanted an answer, but he asked anyways.

Not the kitchens, precisely, but a dining room. Extravagant and empty, she had a goblet of blood brought to her, quickly taking the first sip before the mage had found her. She wafted over to, head tilted in faux ignorance.

"Me? A mere novice, penetrate the impenetrable mind?" She snickered lightly, tapping at his forehead with her index finger.
"I do not think I have the capabilities, do you, Master?" She mocked lightly before waving him off.
"Payment will arrive for you as stated. When should I expect you for our next lesson?"

She was too close yet again, "It's not impenetrable. And you-" She tapped his forehead before turning away and waving him off. He still did not like being called Master at all, it didn't suit him and it made him feel uncomfortable. It wasn't nice to let yourself into someones dreams, especially if they were in a tub and naked. The thought made Azlum shudder that she saw him in such a state.

"I don't think you need anymore lessons." He spoke plainly, "And if you think that you can use the power that I did, I will not teach it to you. So get that thought out of your head. It's dangerous enough that I know how to use it, there shouldn't be more than one person who has such cursed power."

Her gaze flashed crimson as her eyes narrowed at him for his defiance.
"Tch! I have your memories. I will find a way on my own. Or perhaps pay a visit to the college in Elbion. You are dismissed." The goblet returned to her lips as she swept by him, sure that he would find his own way out of the manor.

Azlum wordlessly let her slip by and walk away. He had gone through this Hell and surprisingly wanted it to actually be a missing person's case. One of the attendees stood in the room and asked him, "Sir, do you need an escort out?" Azlum shook his head silently and turned around to leave the manor.

I hope you never learn that power. And I hope you can leave your past behind. It won't be easy, but you have the potential to be incredibly powerful. Do not let it go to waste, and do not use it for your own good. I know you can hear me. Goodbye.

His thoughts traveled into the air as the two same men from before opened the heavy iron gates once more, setting Azlum to his freedom. He never looked back and he hoped they never met again.

She was on her way back to the library as his words drifted to her mind, causing a frown to pull at her lips. She did not enjoy being lectured by a mortal.

She burst into the library and swiftly began pulling books from the shelves. Telepathy. Illusions. Bewitching. Old tombs and new tombs. She had eternity to pour over them all, to study and grow stronger. Stronger than him.

Her beauty would never falter, her youth would never die. When he was decrepit and on his death bed, he would see her, the same as she was on this very day, and she would show him the difference between them.

She would show him that same power she had seen today, but it would not tear her apart as it had his fragile form. It would caress her and satiate her.

She would prove him wrong.