Private Tales It's Just That Time of Year Again

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Gulliver had always been popular with the urchins. It didn't take a whole lot to get on their good sides, honestly. Some food, coin, and shoes offered freely here and there. A kind word or two. Don't snitch. Maybe help a few hide after they've pilfered some pockets. It likely helped that he found most of them to be agreeable company, himself. Some nights he would pack up foodstuffs, a few trinkets, and a violin and play for them in one of the old underpasses they liked to congregate in to exchange stories and spoils.

Of course, when you are centuries old, children grow up and move on very fast. If they are lucky, at least. Gulliver had observed thousands of dirty-cheeked imps grow into the desperate miserable and get themselves killed or incarcerated that way. Still, he befriended them. It was almost like keeping dogs, as utterly patronizing as that sounded. And sometimes, on the rare occasion, one made something of themselves and Gulliver saw it fit to keep up with and check in on them.

Or was made into something, as seemed to be the case with Garrod. Garrod had been another of those urchins, a small child plucking coin and valuables from pockets to get by, when Gulliver had first met him. And then he was a man, grown to surpass the wiry half-fae in height and strength, and a rather effective hunter of monsters. It was a profession Gulliver could respect, if not understand. It meant he traveled a lot, which Gulliver also tended to do, and sometimes they would leave at the same time and wander a bit of whichever way they were going together. He knew how to find signs of the human, and frequently did so at his whim.

It was one such night with one such whim.

You see, it wasn't at all uncommon for children born and raised on the streets to not know their own dates of birth. They had no family to tell them, and it became a rather unimportant factor in their lives as they struggled to survive. Birthday celebrations were not a luxury they could afford. Gulliver had decided, perhaps fifteen years prior and on yet another of his whims, that Garrod would not go without a birthday. He would designate a day and bring celebration to the man, whether he wanted it or not.

Best of all, Gulliver would never pick the same day and the poor man would never know when to expect it. It was simply always a risk whenever the both of them were in the same town.

He had a small, single serving cake in a box (Gulliver did not have much of a sweet tooth), something with lemon and blueberries this time. He had his violin. He had enchanted sparklers. He had hats. He had a lovely set of spessartine quartzite whetstones in wrapping. And he had a not-inexpensive bottle of overproofed, cask-finished bourbon. He hoped the latter two would make Garrod more receptive of the hats.

Most of it fit under one arm, freeing up the other hand to rap his knuckles against the door of the old, partly neglected building in the Outer City that the monster hunter used as a base when in Alliria. Gulliver knew better, at least, than to just waltz in unannounced. "I know you're home," he chirped in his soft and buoyant tone after the rhythmic tap of his knuckles on the tired wood of the door. "It's that time of year again, Garrod."

Not in the least ominous. Nope.

Garrod Arlette

Monster slaying was a tough gig. A constant needing to put yourself directly in harms way. But, it paid well enough. And it wasn't like he was good for much else. The constant traveling was not so bad either. Though, that was born from a mix of necessities really. Still, his needs dictated how much he worked, and tell it true, he didn't need much.

Save his rest.

So, when a knocking came at the door, and a sing song voice anounced an unprovable knowing, Garrod growled, brow furrowing and lip twitching as he rolled over onto his side and did his best to ignore the call and its caller.

Yet, the knocking persisted. And he knew that if it were to cease, it would only be followed by something even more unpleasant. So he huffed and rose out of his bed, in his skivvies and a loose shirt, he sat upon his cot for a moment, feet on the ground as he rubbed the back of his head and eyed the room. He bent low and snatched up a pair of trousers he'd tossed against the bed and pushed one leg through as he got up, and slipped on the other.

Knock knock knock.

"Yes, yes! I hear you!" he barked out, and tied together the waist bands and he made his way over. His eye looked over at his armoire, tall and sealed, scanned the lock, still intact. Habit.

At the door he slid loose the locks, which were bright against the old wood, and he cracked open the door.

"Gulliver," The monster hunter said flatly. "I would say that I am surprised, but after all these years and half-years, and one and a quarter years, that'd be a lie," he smiled faintly, and opened the door in full. Its hinges were surprisingly quiet.
"Please, come in," he bid welcome and stepped into the old haunt.

Near the window, there was a small table, a pair of old stools set about it, and dead flowers hung their sagging heads inside an old glass vase.

"I am not singing any songs this time," he warned, coolly, and pulled out one of the stools before he sat in the other one and looked over at his strange friend.

Gulliver Ingold

Could infinite patience possibly be a curse? It likely was considered so by Garrod, in regards to Gulliver's knack for sitting and waiting unruffled for protracted periods of time until he finally was given what he wanted. It was acknowledgement and entry into his abode, on this day, and when it was granted he sprouted a luminous, indulgent smile that dimpled his cheeks and crinkled the corners of his eyes.

"I will have to try to make these events more surprising in the future, then," he chuckled as he brushed past the hastily dressed man and commenced setting up the goods he had brought with him on the small table by the window. The cake in the center, the bottle closer to the window, the hats (conical blue felt with little white moons and stars) in front of either chair. "I'm sure I can think of something to spice it up... I wouldn't want you getting bored of your birthdays."

The half-fae had a knack for sounding threatening while being absolutely sweet and benevolent.

The very first thing he did once his arms were free was pour two glasses of the overproofed bourbon, because he knew that Garrod was going to need it. The opportunity was taken to observe the state of the monster hunter's abode, noting the disarranged cot and prompting Gulliver to loft an eye brow and curl an overly innocent smile onto his lips.

"Ah... were you sleeping, then?" He pretended as if it wasn't obvious by the semi-disheveled state of the man and the ungodly hour of the night he had decided was the perfect time to have an impromptu birthday party. The naiveté was laid on intentionally thick, that slow blink of his silver moon eyes as he offered the poured drink to the other man. "Apologies, I have poor timing... as usual."

He was definitely not sorry. While Gulliver was hesitant to have any more people than absolutely necessary know his inner workings and his truths, and humans were simply usually just too short lived to build that sort of report with, he had known Garrod since he was a small child. He was counted as a friend. And that meant that Garrod was so blessed to at least know Gulliver's slightly more lawless and wayward nature, in contrast to the modest and serene florist most knew him as.

"I brought hats."

Garrod Arlette

A hollow clunk and thunk and thump sounded through the barren abode. A snap of the fingers saw a white hot little gob of flame manifest from the quick rub of middle finger and thumb and arc through the air to splash against the log of wood that had just been tossed into the fire place. Hungrily, the white fire ate into the wood and spread slowly across the surface of the log.

"Please don't," Garrod said, tiredly, before he straightened up and turned back to face his friend. "I find your visits to be," he scratched at his chin as he strode back over, and his grump and grumble seemed to sweeten as the bottle of bourbon glugged out its contents. "Pleasant distractions to my all too exciting life," He sat down at one of the stools and took up the amber drink that stirred about in glass cups. He swirled the drink some, if only because he liked how it looked when it swirled about, and then brought it to his nose.

The bouquet of fragrance has strong. Like caramel and berries and the nutty oak of the barrel. His smile spread wider, his teeth bared, and his eye narrowed with pleasure. "Gulliver," he said smoothly. "You didn't have to bring out the good stuff just for little old me," he smirked, and raised the cup for a clink, and would wait for his odd companion to follow suit. The fire crackled and the conical hats shimmered in the pale light of the moon.

"I'm guessing we wear them, as price for the drink?" He smiled still, and shook his glass a little.

Gulliver Ingold

White light splashed over the side of Gulliver's gaunt and delicate face, competing with the pearly moonlight draped over the opposite side of his visage, as the achromatic fire was birthed to life in the modest fire place. He was ghostly, ethereal. Pale skin that could only reflect pale light, halo of soft silver hair that instead seemed to catch it and hold it.

Ivory fingers nudged the lid of the box that contained the cakelet open and then closer to Garrod as the half-fae took his seat across from him. It had sworls of pale, fluffy meringue buttercream and was decorated with fresh blueberries and curls of candied lemon peel. The meringue buttercream was chosen because it was less sweet, which was to Gulliver's preference, even though he had no intention of eating it, himself.

"I am a pleasant distraction? You've been working on your flattery, Garrod," he teased with an amused crinkle of his nose. "Though... I am not certain how I feel about the implication that I am at contrast to your usually exciting life. Perhaps it is complimentary to be a comfort..."

Yes, he'll take it to mean that.

"Of course I had to," he then asserted over the quality of the bourbon, his spindly fingers slipping around his own poured glass to lift it up off the moonlit table. His free hand busied itself making a pincushion of the cakelet with the sparklers he had brought. "If I didn't bring temptations you would have ceased tolerating me years ago, I think. Even I know my innate charm can only get me so far."

The hats were not neglected, of course. Once he was satisfied with the number of sparklers in the cake (hint: it was too many), he plucked one up by its narrow tip between thumb and forefinger. The rim of his glass pressed to his bottom lip, he gave Garrod a very deliberate look as he then dropped the hat on the silky down on top his own head. It was a look full of expectation. He tilted the glass back for a slow sip, not breaking eye contact.

Garrod Arlette

• Devil
Reactions: Bunnie Beiderbecke
A smirk crooked the corner of Garrod's mouth. "As pleasant as a lily of the swamp, dear Gulliver," the monster hunter confessed. He was not sure how well the ever youthful man would take to being compared to a poisonous flower. But, if Garrod were ever to confess, it was one of his favorites.

"Besides," he went on. "The excitement is overrated," he smiled a little wider and swirled his drink some. "Much rather lay about and enjoy such fine gifts as these," he said with the slightest raise of the cup he held, and he took a second drink.

He laughed at the bit of self deprecation. A low and throaty chuckle, the sort that shook through the ribs and reverberated warm across the room. "I suppose only time can tell," he said with raise of the brow, inviting jest and barb and good cheer.

On went the hat upon Gulliver's head. Glittering with the moonlight that did pour through the window pane. So too did Garrod take up his own hat, and place it upon his head with a feint sigh.

"To the little joys in life," Garrod said with a vibrato in his voice. "And all the surprises in between," he said softer, and took his sip.

It was sinfully smooth. Sweet and woody and like the gentlest of fires as it warmed its way down and tickled his lips.

He looked down at the cake, so pincushioned by sparkler sticks, and he snapped his fingers. Fire came lit upon the end of each stick. Sparkles poured out in white-hot shower, turned pink and gold and blue and red as the sticks bled what fuel they could.

Garrod shook his head, left to right. "So, what's new, old friend?" he asked as the little display went on with its showy and extended procession. "How goes the flower business?" He took another small drink, and leaned back, easy in his chair.

Gulliver Ingold

"A young seamstress likened me to a white rose," Gulliver stated plainly as he placed his drink down and steepled his fingers over it, tips lightly touching the rim of the glass. "Unimaginative... but sweet. A gentleman just the other week went with chamomile. I'm not... quite sure where he was going with that, but I appreciated the attempt, regardless. Two well-meaning people, though hardly anyone more than mere acquaintances."

"So what is it, exactly, about me that the people closest to me compare me to poisonous plants?" He was attempting to feign incredulity, but that whisper of a smirk at the edge of his lips was traitorous. Gulliver was just as fascinated with the toxic qualities of plants as he was their beauty. "... It smells wonderful, you know. Swamp lily. Pale, delicate, and spindly." All right, so perhaps it was a better comparison than Gulliver gave it credit for.

At the sound of Garrod's laughter that smirk gave up the last of its resistance and cracked open into a renewed smile. A genuine expression of tenderness. Joy and harmony from those he was most connected to was just as infectious as they were claimed to be. A smile and a laugh could instantly brighten the countenance of the half-fae and as Garrod plopped the hat on his head, perhaps looking more ridiculous than even he did in it, Gulliver was reminded how much he actually loved people.

There was a reason that in all his centuries he had never resigned to secluded living away from the noise of the world. Granted, he did have his haunts, but they weren't anywhere he would puts roots for long. Necromancers had a reputation for hiding themselves away in the dark where they could amass their dark knowledge and armies of undead. Gulliver wanted to grow flowers and indulge in... the little joys in life, and all the surprises in between.

"Those..." Gulliver started, with a finger lifting from the rim of his glass to point vaguely towards Garrod. "... are some of my favorite things in life. And some of the hardest to give up." No, it wasn't wealth, or power, or self-importance that kept Gulliver stubbornly amongst the living. It was all the little delights and wonders in between the major footholds, the very average and underrated joys, that he felt very much entitled to keep.

"What's new..." He repeated the question almost absent-mindedly while the miniature firework display splashed color across his face. "I could be a pain and state that many things are technically new day by day... but I suppose you meant with me, specifically. And the answer to that would be... mm, not a whole lot, admittedly. I don't rush around trying to accomplish everything like I used to..." And who knows how long ago he meant by 'used to'.

And the truth was, there were many facets of Gulliver's life that Garrod did not know about. Things he was not keen to divulge because their relationship worked just fine as it was and he couldn't be certain it would stay fine if he started throwing more complexities into it.

"No, there is not much interesting going on in the land of flowers. At least, not interesting to anyone other than myself, likely." He leaned forward, palm over his drink as he propped his arm up on his elbow so that he could rest his chin on top of his hand. "Tell me about your latest hunt, Garrod. That would probably be more lively discussion."

Garrod Arlette

Garrod took another sip from his drink. Enjoyed the warmth that spread across his mouth and the swelled down his throat and nestled in his core. "Keeper of secrets," he mumbled friendly beneath his breath, and smiled a bit as he leaned back in his chair, silly hat still on his head. Then Gulliver turned the table. "My latest hunt?" Garrod asked, somewhat surprised, he even sat up a little straighter in his chair, rested his elbows against the old grain of the table as he thought it over.

"
I mean, I don't know if its really all that more lively than a baker's day, or tending your flowers, Gull," he let out a long breath and shook his head. "Guess a butcher would be the most apt comparison," he smirked, and leaned back again, "Hmm," he let out as he cast his gaze up to the ceiling.

"Well, the latest hunt had me tracking down a basilisk in the falwood," he grinned. "Big bastard at that, had to work with some fellows from the adventurers guild, The Talon brothers, not a bad lot, well," he tried to recall how it all went. But his brow twitched, and his eye narrowed, as if strained by the effort of recollection. "Huh," he sounded. and brought his eye back down to regard Gulliver and the cake. "Honestly, I can't recall much beyond that," he scratched his chin, and he could swear he heard a laugh in the recess of his mind. But, the discomfort was fleeting. "Must've had one too many drinks after the job was done," as if to emphasize the point, he raised his cup to Gulliver, then knocked back whatever was left.

The glass came down against the table, and he poured himself a little more drink. "You ever just, up and forget things, Gull?" he asked, with a hint of worry there in his voice.

Gulliver Ingold

• Cheer
Reactions: Gulliver Ingold
'Keeper of Secrets' would actually be considered highly accurate by most people if they knew the manner of things the half-fae kept to himself. Gulliver, on the other hand, looked at it more as 'private business that no one else needs to be troubled with' than strictly as secrets. He was in the habit of omitting massive truths, but rarely participated in clear-cut deception. Gulliver had known for a while, though, that Garrod suspected he wasn't painting him the whole picture.

"Butchers do not have to worry about their jobs trying to butcher them in return," Gulliver retorted with a serene and knowing smile at the surprise Garrod displayed at being questioned in return. "And my flowers... rarely try to eat me or turn me to stone," he added after the mention of the basilisk.

But as Garrod's retelling fell short and he seemed to struggle to recollect any details, Gulliver's smile eased into something more neutral and undecided as his pale brows lofted above silvery eyes. He knew what it was like for memory to become hazy with time and for important details to feel like they had been squeezed out of his own head with how much he tried to keep crammed in it at times. Garrod, however, was not nearly old enough to struggle with remembering hunting and killing a dangerous creature.

"You recall no details beyond what you were sent to do, and a job done?" The question was presented with a soft tone that lacked his usual easy lilt. It was, perhaps, even laced with genuine concern. His drink was set down and he seemed to focus on the man across from him with more intent.

"I do..." He started slowly in reply to being asked if he ever forgot things. Oh, he did plenty. It was quite troublesome at times, actually. "But there is a lot more going on in my head." It took him a breath to realize how condescending that sounded and he blinked and quickly opened his mouth again. "... I meant that there is more for me to remember. Over time. Things get lost. Or... ah... inadvertently deprioritized."

"... Have you had many blanks in your memory, lately, Garrod?"

Garrod Arlette

• Nervous
Reactions: Garrod Arlette
Garrod laughed softly and to himself, as wyrd smile crept across his lips, his eye down cast, fixed on the little cup of drink his friend had so kindly brought to him.

"Tell it true," he began, and his eye instinctively flicked to the armory that loomed across the room, beside the still crackling fireplace. "Not many," he looked back to Gulliver. "But, they are..." his brow strained, and the corners of his gaze narrowed. "Well, they are pronounced," he relented, and his eye looked down at his right hand, and how it clutched at the little cup of whiskey.

Now now.... he heard a far off voice whisper in his mind. He knew to who he voice belonged, and his eye loomed over the spot above his arm which their eye so normally sat. He hides much from you. So you hide much from him. Fair is fair, oh...

There was a pop from the fire. A crackle and a hiss, happy. Garrod shook his head. "I'm just tired," he said, and raised the cup up to take another drink. Though he wasted no time in downing it. "It'll come back to me after some rest, I am sure," his eye found the cake, and his hand took up a wooden fork. "Now, there is cake to eat," he said with some warmth in his voice, and let the edge of his utensil cut down on the baked good.

It was spongy, and soft, and he could smell the lemon.

Gulliver Ingold