Private Tales Invited Guests

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Arwyl Minras

Character Biography
Link
inspiration-of-medieval-language-norm-newberry-concept-art-for-1999-film.jpg

Dayana

Lord Balden's dining hall was a significant part of the heavy stone building his family had owned for four generations. Arwyl had seen the smoke long before he reached the estate. It must have taken many fire to heat the entire place for visitors and all the chimneys were spewing grey pillars.

Even above the music was the sound of horses as he approached. The stables were full as most of the arrivals had come from far.

This was going to be an interesting evening. Arwyl had no place being here. Balden was apparently more tolerant of elves than many humans along thos stretch of the coast. He would raise his banner for Vel Anir if called upon. He was happy to keep elven slaves.

Tolerance came in degrees. It was a sad state of affairs, Arwyl reflected, when not attacking his people on site was the most respect they could expect from a human lord in the region.

Admittedly he was here to work out how to rob the Lord of all of his possessions so he should have been suspicious. Arwyl had once been a Prince of a great kingdom, but that was decades ago. His rebel band had done little more than sew chaos since. Recently he had started trying to build something. A hundred souls didn't make a kingdom, but he did need resources. Gold would help and Lord Balden had too much of it.

Arwyl looked around for his contact. He was walking as slowly as he could across the courtyard towards the doors. A friend of a friend of an acquaintance of a friend kind of deal. A half-elf who knew human society enough to blend in.

She heard about an available job through the grapevine of her contacts, and well word of mouth travels fast. Apparently he was willing to offer her a fair price and she was willing to take the job. All she was told that he had red hair and he’d pay her at the gig. Real helpful.

She truthfully hated the area he wished her to work in. She wasn’t an idiot and knew how much the hatred of her kind ran rampant here. She had established few connections in this area but she still styled her hair so it didn’t show her ears. She was fortunate enough that her ears were around the same size as a mortal’s and she embraced it wholeheartedly.

Despite where she was even Syvis could admire the beauty of the estate. She figured tonight would be a busy party but it seemed to have some class about it.

She stood by the stables petting one of the noble’s horses. She was pretty out in the open and dressed to the nines. She was being vigilant and was pretty sure she saw her patron. A long red haired fellow scanning the crowds. No one had mentioned to her that he was an elf. She was excited, he would likely wouldn’t be boring. She gave the horse one last pat and strode toward him in a way someone who knew him would. After all it was her job.

When she reached him she sat her dainty hand on his arm leaning in to his ear. “Where’s the coin?” She looked like she was whispering kind words a lover would but no coin no her.
Arwyl Minras

Last edited:
  • Nervous
Reactions: Arwyl Minras
"Well, no time wasted there," Arwyl replied.

Arwyl wasn't as natural at blending in here. He tried to smile as if he was amused by what she had said, but it looked distinctly forced.

He had been a child when Kaius had led him to safety, their path lit by the flames consuming his city, his people. Even at that young age he had some sense of how to act in the public eye. From the moment he had been born it was known he would eventually be king. Now he was king of almost nothing.

Arwyl was still better suited to the task than those that followed him now. Riznak was an ill-mannered orc, Kaius had kicked off a bloody revolution when they had gone to look around a slave fighting ring, Riley was...Riley. He'd not heard her speak a dozen words without at least one curse he hadn't heard before.

A small purse of coin seemed to appear from nowhere, slipped into her hand. Not a naturally liar, but he had light fingers. They did not have much to spare, but it was gambling on the chance of coming away with more. Whether he could steal another tonight, or he came back with a small group another night it didn't matter. He needed the layout of the estate and to work out where the valuables were kept.

"You look lovely by the way," he said loudly enough for others to hear. "Am I...suppposed to call you something tonight?" he asked, shifting and looking rather uncomfortable again. Subterfuge didn't come quite naturally.

• Sip
Reactions: Syvis
Syvis noticed the awkward smile the man was sporting. She pitied him, he didn’t seem to hire people like her often, she’d try and make tonight easy on him after payment of course. She didn’t bother to respond to his comment about her asking for her money quickly, her time was well worth it in her opinion.

She grasped the coin purse with equally light fingers. She decided to pay no mind to his quick hands in hopes he paid no mind to hers. She lifted up her dress a tad and let the coin purse fall into her boot. Dresses had no pockets, her shoes became accustomed to being used as a purse.

“Thank you for the compliment. You don’t look horrid yourself.” Syvis tried hard, very hard to contain her giggle but to no avail as he asked what to call her. Now it was confirmed he didn’t hire women like her. “If you wish, it’s not customary. Don’t look so uncomfortable it's all an act, a play if you will. Within twenty minutes half the guest will be merry with drink in their bellies and by forty minutes the majority won’t remember their own names. Such is customary.” She tried to pat his arm reassuringly.

“Now I suggest using that head of hair to conceal your ears as much as possible. Humans aren’t kind to use here and it doesn’t get better with rye.” Syvis was trying to be as friendly as possible, he seemed like a lost puppy. “Humans are a horrid lot in general.” She grumbled half to herself half to the open winds as she linked her arm through his. “To the festivities.” She said with a toothy grin and a twinkle in her eyes.

"I am all too aware of what they are capable of," Arwyl replied. He didn't speak with any real venom in his tone, not towards her. There was a hint of the pain he felt instead.

Arwyl tried to smile and shake that off. She was a half-elf and living a very curious life among their kind. He didn't understand their society or why someone would pay for a guest to accompany them. He also didn't know what might have been in her own past to have her living this life. That coin pouch vanished rather quickly.

"I can try," he said, adjusting his hair as best he could. His fierce red hair was rather fine, ill-suited to hiding his ears. "Won't fool anyone up close."

Arwyl had the delicate features and an almost ethereal appearance that was not only obviously elven, but quite obviously high breeding to those from elven cultures.

"To festivities," he agreed. He was more nervous than he had been when they raided the slave mines south of here. Part of that was down to having his safety in the hands of a stranger. His group was a tight-knit band. This was rather new for him.

The smell of the feast was what struck him first. Food forming a column down the center of every table, with everyone helping themselves.

"I'll be amazed if they can fit any wine in their bellies if they eat that quickly," he hissed just for her benefit.

• Nervous
Syvis reached up and helped him adjust his hair a little. It would help him here despite his ears showing a little. The piggish human race was fairly kind when you succumbed to their fantasy of being a higher race. Part of that meant assimilation. A disgusting thing in her opinion yet she knew she was in their world and because of this she‘d need to act accordingly.

Syvis studied his face a little. She had grown up with high elven society and had the features of the moon elf race. Very dainty and bony was an accurate description of herself.

„You know, you look like a king my father hung in his study. Apparently my father and him were fairly close, I wasn’t born yet but it really was a shame what happened to him and his bloodline. They were kind to me without knowing me, gave my father a fair amount of coin. My 17th birthday gift was bought by them apparently.“ she said to him absentmindedly.

Syvis felt his muscles clentch more and more as they approached the hall’s entrance. He looked out of his element which was surprising to her. Based off of what she saw in his features he was likely dragged around to the same elven events she was as a child. He seemed to possess some degree of the arrogance her people had yet a sense of humbleness. Rare breed indeed.

Her chest swelled at the dig at the humans like she fed on it. „You’d be amazed at how much these oafs shovel into their mouths.“ her tongue quick and disapproving accompanied by a quick oink noise. „We‘d better get something before they shovel it into their mouths.“ personally human cooking revolted her but she’d accept little bits.

• Yay
"Oh I am king of nothing at all," Arwyl mused. The comment would probably be taken to mean that he was a simple commoner, when the truth was that he was really a king of a place that no longer existed.

Arwyl grinned as she let her lead him towards one of the tables. No one was paying them much heed yet. He had to remind himself that he was not here for the sharp-tongued company, but to get a view of the layout.

"Many places that used to be have long gone," he said as he sat down. He was more careful about what he said now. This close, one of the humans could have heard him if he started to bitterly complain about lost elven lands.

At least they would, if they stopped chewing for long enough.

"Do you remember who was in that painting?" he asked. He stood up again, looking at what was within reach on the table. It was a lot of meat. Riznak, the orc in their band, would have killed every man here for such a feast.

"Did you want some fruit?" he asked, taking a plate for her.

• Sip
“I forgot the man’s name but I know he was head of Kiervarn. My understanding is when he passed he left his wife and kin only one child I believe. My father didn’t talk much about it, he deemed it too sad.” She scanned around as she spoke softly. Last thing she needed was to screw up her already fragile relations, and bad gas travels fast in her world. One screw up and her status was ruined for this area. Syvis was unsure why she cared so much after all she was a nomad who didn’t even see her own people anymore. She went from being the epitome of elven class to the type of woman her kind would spit on.

“I would love some fruit.” This man made her duty as a sycophant substantially easier than most of her patrons. She enjoyed that he wasn’t a big and despite her self ban from elven territory she did miss her people greatly. It had been seven years since she was kicked out from her home and her father wasn’t the time to spoil her name as her name was his lineage. She truthfully didn’t know why she never went back.

“You know I am curious as to why you’ve hired me, this isn’t a career path our people find suitable, in fact most find it disgraceful. So what’s your story?” Syvis was doing her best to be friendly yet appear interested in her patron to everyone else. Arwyl didn’t seem to be like most the boars that hired her. Syvis was paid to hang off their arm as an accessory as a submissive elven beauty yet despite them knowing it wasn’t part of her contract to spend the night most tried to work it in. She was grateful for his kindness tonight and his company, he wasn’t absolutely horrible to be around.

• Yay
"My story is complicated," he replied. Arwyl felt a flash of guilt. She was apparently paid for this quite frequently, but in a way he was taking advantage of that.

He was using her to fit in, much like many of her clients probably did. However, he wasn't here for the conversation and she didn't know that. Now what was the story again...

"But now I'm in trade. Trying to open up some routes between here and an elven town further into the forests. Not Keirvarn, by the way. I'm afraid that place is now long gone."

After passing her a plate he took some food for himself and sat down. The chicken leg and accompaniments looked very small in the huge plates.

"Have you been to a party thrown by Balden before?" he asked.

Last edited:
  • Yay
She looked at him. She didn’t think he was here to chat so she’d let him off the hook. „You know it is customary to enter with me, dine with me, and leave with me. You don’t need to stick around.“ Syvis felt a little cold as she iced him out but she wasn’t going to waste his and hers time if he wasn’t interested. She’d likely find a human male flirt a little and he‘d do food and drink runs for her.

„Say how are the Elven lands? I haven’t been back in seven years myself.“ Syvis was playing a part frankly she didn’t give a rats ass about land but during the dinner it was her job to act as if she was devoted to Arwyl and only Arwyl. Many women found her career promiscuous and demeaning but it allowed her to have the life she wanted with little work. Her time and beauty was a service and so why not profit?

Syvis sneered at the plates. „No normal serving size is that big“ she whispered lowly. Half the women here didn’t even bother to get their hands manicured, no wonder there was such a market for her. She figured if her wife looked like that she‘d search for someone else to drape off her arm.

Her face turned disgusted as she looked across the table at a plump pale woman with sauce all over her hands and face. She wasn’t even bothering to hide her face anymore she was revolted. What a savage.

„A few, most are all the same. Despite who is throwing these parties everything blends together. Balden has many contacts he was one of the first I attended a banquet with. Not a horrid man, still not the best although.“ Syvis answered him briskly before reaching her slender fingers out to a grape fruit. She cut it into little slices and pecked at them in a respectable way. Not like the barbaric woman across the table from them.

• Yay
Taking the cue, Arwyl reached forward to pile some more vegetables onto his plate. Looking around her saw that she was quite right. The richest humans seemed to have no qualms about growing fat from their wealth.

"Oh, I was planning on sticking quite close to you tonight," he replied. "Please, I wasn't trying to be rude just that it is rather a long story to start and not one I necessarily want to start around...other company."

He was about to tell her that he hadn't been deep into elven lands for years when he remembered that would contradict the tale he had just told. Arwyl was not an accomplished liar.

"They are as tedious as ever," he said. "And no, he is not the best. I am certain he is delightful to his friends and less to...others."

Arwyl let a little too much anger slip into his voice as he described Balden. His gaze was following one of the servants. An elf. Likely a slave. They kept their head bowed low as they brought in a platter of meat.

• Yay
"Thank you, I understand. I apologize for my rudeness my patron." Truthfully Syvis hated having to apologize like that yet she'd a lot of men lash out for not being addressed properly, it was for protection most the time.

She listened to his report trying not to sound too interested, despite this being the first thing she's heard of her home in a while. "Sounds about right. They've much better parties than here." She said stifled by her napkin to her mouth.

Syvis wasn't dull. She knew what Balden did to her people and frankly it disgusted her, she even debated murdering him over it. Yet she knew how much he fancied her so she was going to milk him of his money as long as possible, maybe rob him blind. She knew where his safe was anyhow he was as foolish to show her. Men are pig headed, they'd show her anything she asked for the potential of bedding her yet surprisingly to them it never worked.

Her eyes wandered to the elven slave and she lifted a manicured hand up waving the slave over in a manner a noble would when they needed something. She didn't know how this young girl came to be here of all places but she would help her as best as possible. When the girl made her way over to the table Syvis stood up hastily looking very angry. She grabbed the girl by the arm and drug her to a more private area. Most people would leave them be now. Syvis apologized for scaring the poor girl and explained it was all an act. She slipped the coin purse out of her boot and gave it to the elf girl. She instructed the girl to hide them laying down in her shoe; Syvis helped her lay them down properly so it wouldn't be noticeable. Syvis told the girl never to speak of this and the coin was for a rainy day, she apologized in advance for slapping the girl leaving a red handprint on her face before she drug her back into the dining area sitting down again.

• Sip
"It's just Arwyl and there's no need to say sorry," he replied.

He watched as she waved over the elven girl and led her away. It was decidedly curious. Arwyl slumped back in his char whilst he ws left alone. He felt remarkably exposed without Syvis there, as if he was without armour.

The link to her family was surprising. He wanted to address it, but how exactly was he going to do that now, here in the viper's nest?

By the way...I am the son of that man on your wall. I am the exiled Prince of Keirvarn, a leader without a kingdom. I'm here to rob this fucker blind and command you to help me.

Instead, when she returned to the table he asked: "what was that about?" One eyebrow was arched high about the other.

• Wonder
"I know I seemed brash, I also am aware you've no real reason to trust me. That being said I am asking you to trust there is reason behind my actions in which I will inform you of at a later date." Syvis' tone was even yet rushed at the same time, loud yet quiet. Simply contradicting. She exhaled as she ate some more fruit. She wasn't hungry but it's polite to try and stomach the sad excuse of fruit.

"No one eats fruit here, meaning I'm stuck with mushy melons." Syvis didn't mean for that statement to sound immature nor did she mean the laugh that launched itself from out of her throat. She composed herself quickly and her face went red as she tried to swallow her chuckles. Mushy melons. That was what set her off that evening how very ladylike.

"Would you like a tour? I've been here many times plus I could tell you the story..." She looked at the straining ears around her before sharpening her tone "..the story of what that dunse of a fucking slave did to my new pair of shoes." She continued. She hated speaking about the poor girl in such a way and prayed she understood, but Syvis had her name and Arwyl's name to protect and this wasn't the time nor place to sympathize with slaves, most especially Elven slaves.

Arwyl Minras

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
"Oh how terrible," he said of the shoes. There was no heart in the sentiment. She was a better liar than him, which meant that not only did he believe what she said but he had trouble hiding his lack of enthusiasm for punishing slaves.

"You know, a turn around the place sounds quite fantastic," Arwyl said. He was trying to trust her. For some reason the fact that she almost laughed out pieces of melon helped.

Now he had to try not to seem overly enthusiastic about studying the estate.

Arwyl pushed his chair back from the table and stood up. Already several servants were watching them carefully, ready to swoop in and clear up.

No one had bothered them for a conversation yet. Arwyl was glad of that. Syvis was here very much to help smooth over any polite smalltalk he was forced to make.

"Where should we start?" he asked, offering his hand.

• Popcorn
Syvis grabbed his hand in a graceful manner before leading him out of the eating hall to the same hallway she'd forcefully drug the slave to prior. It was one of the main branch off hallways that'd show most the estate without running into bedrooms and seeing the atrocities done to Balden's female slaves when he entertained. Even thinking about them made her sick and she was nearly one hundred percent sure Arwyl couldn't handle it as she herself vomited in a potted plant the first time she saw.

She glanced around and saw no one lurking before she let out a huge breath and exploded into rambles. "I didn't hurt her or yell at her or anything I swear on it. I love our people and Balden disgusts me, absolutely boarish. I gave her coin. The coin you paid me and then some, so I suppose we owe you. It's silly but I've heard tales of slave women buying their own freedom or escaping and having no coin to survive. I just wanted to give her some sort of chance." Syvis looked dejected and heartbroken.

"You know if this damned building wasn't assembled from stone, I'd burn it and everyone in it to the ground." She said softly pushing her hairline back stressed. Being here made her sick. Balden was one of the worst lords she ever entertained and he ran the worst estate she'd been in. Her first party here he grabbed her and drug her by her arm to a bedroom where one of his guests was despoiling a young elven girl. Balden gloated as she clawed out to Syvis and Syvis did nothing. Syvis could do nothing.

"I'm sick of seeing our people imprisoned." Syvis said morose she reached out and grabbed Arwyl's hand yoinking it along as she ran down the hallways. "I'm going to make you rich compatriot. This information I'm about to bestow on you, sell it. I can't for my status and no offence I've heard nothing of you in the upper-crust of human and elven society, do what I cannot." Syvis said still sprinting down the hall dragging poor Arwyl behind her.