Fable - Ask Giving Back

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Elias set a hand on his chin. “Perhaps there’s another use that your wealth and knowledge may serve. I don’t practice it personally but, have you ever heard of Economancy? It’s not something to be used liberally, but it can be used to bring objects into being, at the price of gold. It could, perhaps be used to speedily acquire certain materials.” He shook his head. “But it would be best if it’s only used when necessary.”

He looked around at the rest of the people, the students had made progress setting up the temporary shelters. The houses were slower going. “I understand your concerns, the basic needs of the people must come first. But once they’re housed and have access to food, the rest will be taken care of in time. Elbion can recover from damages far easier than it can recover from losing its people.”

Jasper Sterling

Economancy? He had heard of the magic before it was something his father had strongly suggested no one in the family from learning. He said that it made one lazy and appreciative of the value of gold. Of course, that could just have been his father being greedy. The idea of him or one of his siblings blowing money just to make objects when they were young made him laugh.

"Only in passing...I'll have to look into it."

With House's Sterling's funds, it was true that economancy could prove to be very helpful. However, if he went too far then his family's wealth and legacy would be gone for good.

"The people seem to be doing well for now. Tired, but working hard."

Elias Dorven

Elias nodded in agreement. “As I said, it’s not something to grow dependent on, but it may prove useful in this difficult situation.” They needed plenty of material to help house the rest of Elbion’s citizens.

He kept a close eye on his students, making sure none of them got into any trouble. “I have faith in the people’s abilities. Once food and shelter is seen to, the only remaining concern is security. Has the city guard sufficiently recovered?”

Jasper Sterling

Has the city guard sufficiently recovered?”

"Ha? No, they are basically useless at this point." Jasper said scornfully.

Well, that wasn't entirely true. Some of the city guards still remained, but then a large majority had scattered and took up roles as privates guards for the family of the eleven. He found the whole situation annoying, since a city guard would be preferred, but also wasn't in a position where he could turn down hiring private guards when they offered to serve the family.

House Sterling had a large private guard at the moment thanks to the practice, maybe as large as the city guard itself. Their reputation as one of the wealthier families had served them well when it came to attracting the former guards.

Elias Dorven

“I see,” Elias mumbled. Disturbing news, without any security, the streets could devolve into a crime-ridden slum. More so than they already have, of course. He cleared his throat. “Well then, I suppose there’s two potential solutions to this problem. That I can think, at least.”

“Either Elbion hires local mercenaries to reinforce the City Guard while they replenish. Or we equip the locals and help them organize a Watch. Whatever you choose will surely be better than having no security.”

Jasper Sterling

"Hmm, I'm not sure. In their own way, the private guards can also serve as tools of order, but I recognize the inherent corruption that goes along with that...I will speak with the council, but I find myself preferring the latter, as it will give those who can not help with the building something to do."

Some might be worried about giving weapons and training to the locals, but as time went on then hopefully they could incorporate the watch back into the city guard when they were ready to do so.

"Although, my opinion is not the only one that matters and the others may see things differently."

Elias Dorven

Elias nodded. “Agreed, allowing the people to contribute may be for the best. It would be the best way to prevent a further descent into anarchy. But, as you said, it’s not for me or you alone to decide. I wish you the best of luck in arguing that to the Council.”

Seeing the city always reminded him of how fortunate the College was. Avoiding both the major damages and having their own means of being secure against things like crime. Many weren’t so lucky.

Jasper Sterling

"Thank you. I'm sure things will work out. Things just have a way of doing that most of the time." Jasper responded hopefully, more for himself than for Elias.

"The next problem comes from our lack of outward defense, not inward. If someone tried to attack, there would not be much we could do. We could rely on the College, and maybe call in a favor from Vel-Anir, but besides that...it would not look good. Then again, I don't much see why someone who wanted a ruined city."

Elias Dorven

Elias paused, humming as the subject of the city's defenses came up. "I'm certain the College would help if Elbion were ever attacked, but you're right, this should be seen to. The most obvious solution, and one we must get to eventually, is to repair the walls. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I imagine the Council will be eager to see it done, the issue is that it's a costly project."

He took a quick look around, trying to get a feel for how many resources they had. "Temporary walls, such as palisades could be built, but it would take away from resources we need for other things, but it would provide some protection against an attack. Otherwise, we could repair other structures, fortifiable ones, to provide shelter in case of attack."

Jasper Sterling

"Agreed, but I don't think we will have too many problems with the walls." He looked down the street with a grimace at many of the ruined houses.

"We have plenty of the material...We just need to repurpose it...Still, housing comes first. Then we can worry about that."

For so long, Elbion's defense had simply been its floating geography and magical affinity, but now all of that was gone. They needed a way to repurpose the city into something new and more standardized if they wanted to get it back on its feet.

Elias followed his gaze over to the rubble. A wry smile crossed his face. "One method of clearing the streets of rubble, I suppose." It's best they made use of whatever resources they had available.

"Fortunately, as you said, I doubt there's many who would attack a ruined city. Gerra and the Empire perhaps, but they're preoccupied with Amol-Kalit's affairs. For better or worse, we're on our own for now."

Jasper Sterling