Fable - Ask Giving Back

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Character Biography
Link
"We have only just managed to get out infrastructure back up and running, and now you do this? We will be bankrupt in weeks!" His sister whispered sourly at him.

"You know this is only a tithe of our funds. The people of this city need our help. We have to pick up everyone together, or we all will fall." Jasper still saw the disappointed look on his sister's face and smiled reassuringly.

"Just think of it as a chance to build some goodwill with the public." He offered with a chuckle.

The Sterling family was sponsoring a soup kitchen that was set up in the Residential District of the city. The area was still largely in tatters from in shattering of the city, but signs of houses being erected could already be seen. This city and its people were resilient...They just needed a little bit of help. That was why Jasper had organized this event as soon as he made it back to the city. Food would be provided to whoever needed it, and clothes and blankets would be given to those who had no home at the moment.

Jasper had sent a message to the college asking for some of the mages to come to the event. If they would be willing to help out around the area, maybe even turning the event into a volunteering opportunity to rebuild the district. He might be able to sweet-talk a professor or two into giving the volunteers some credits or maybe merits. He knew how important things like that seemed while you were in school.

The young, and new leader of House Sterling, shrugged off his sister and made his way over to the soup line to help serve some of the bowls. He had not gotten a chance to speak with any of the other 11 houses on the Merchant's Council. They were all probably scrambling to do their own form of disaster control. He hoped that some would show up to the event. The council needed to seem united during these tough times. Otherwise, they would likely lose the faith of the people.

"Alright, who's next? Come and get it." He tried to offer a kind and inviting smile to the next recipient.

• Yay
Reactions: APenName and Syuri
Elias walked at the head of a small group of volunteers from Elbion College. About two dozen in all, so far, including a couple of other professors. Though it'd been a while since he last visited the city, he remembered well what it was like before the shattering. He spent countless hours there during his own time as a student.

Seeing it now was a sad sight.

When he heard what happened he felt obligated to return and help in any way he could. Regretfully, it sometimes felt like that was very little. The college's resources weren't infinite, and while they'd helped as best they could, it'd take more to resolve Elbion's troubles.

But perhaps their fortunes would soon change. Not long ago, the college received a message from the new head of the Sterling family. A merchant, and former student; Jasper Sterling. He'd asked for volunteers to help with his soup kitchen. So, he'd offered to chaperone a group of students who wanted to pitch in, and lend a hand himself, of course.

Elias slowed to a stop as he came up to the building in question. He turned to face his students and smiled, gesturing for them to go in ahead of him. "Remember everyone, you're representing the College of Elbion in this. Be on your best behavior. The public needs to know that we're doing everything we can to help the city." He counted each student as they passed, waiting until they'd all entered before following them inside.

Jasper Sterling

Jasper looked up from his serving when heard the arrival of what sounded like a large group. He broke into a wide grin when he watched several of the College's students enter, along with Elias. He poured one last bowl of soup before handing off his ladle over to another worker.

He quickly made his way around the counter to confront Elias. He offered a few handshakes to the students, along with reassuring smiles as he finally came to stand in front of the professor.

"Elias, I am glad you all can make it! I must be honest, I was worried if any of you would show up. I am aware of how busy that College is during this difficult time."

Jasper had a rather strange appearance, as he was wearing an apron with several stains from soup serving. However, he was still wearing several pieces of jewelry that did not match his working clothes.

"We can get some of the students set up if they want to serve food, but I would like a few to help set up some makeshift shelters for some of the people. If we can even help with some of the more permanent housing, then that would be a great boon."

Elias Dorven

Elias took a look around the crowded soup kitchen. So many people in need, and so few with the means of helping them. It'll take time for the city to fully heal, but it's good to see someone taking the first step in that direction. He smiled and nodded when Jasper approached. "It's good to see you. There's much to do, but we're never too busy to help the city."

He chuckled when he saw the merchant's attire. Not typical dress for someone as prominent as him. It was good to see that he didn't value himself above those who served. Elias still wore his usual robes himself, he'd considered changing them but decided against it. Thinking that seeing a professor at work might help raise the spirits of some of the people.

He glanced at his students and hummed. "The first years may be best off working in the kitchen. As for housing, our students come from many walks of life... I'm sure some of them will be able to help build or repair houses, as long as they're given the right materials."

Jasper Sterling

Jasper wiped his hands on the apron before looking around as he got a plan in his head. He pointed to the portly older woman who seemed to be in charge of the food.

"Send the first years to Mrs. Crabb. She will put them to work." The woman was currently barking at a few young servers who were slacking off. It was clear that she was no-nonsense about her kitchen.

"We can certainly provide the materials."

Jasper had managed to get in contact with a few members of the crafters guild. It had been difficult, but Jasper had bought up several reserve stocks and had gathered anything that could be reused from around the city. It wasn't much. The shattering had ruined a lot without any chance of reuse. Still, he would take what he could get at the moment.

Jasper removed several rings off his fingers to put them into his pockets. "Alright, anyone that can help build some homes then please follow me!"

Elias Dorven

The first years exchanged nervous glances when they saw Mrs. Crabb in action. One of the more cheeky students mumbled. "She's aptly named."

Elias smiled and gestured for them to go introduce themselves. "You heard Mr. Sterling." He watched the group trudge by, happy to help but dreading the day spent under the portly woman's command. "I'll be back to collect you by days' end."

A professor stayed behind to help supervise the students. While Elias and the rest followed Jasper. As they walked, Elias called back to his students. "How many of you have experience building? Anything will do, carpentry, masonry, maintenance."

Four students raised their hands, one quite eagerly.

Elias memorized each of their faces and nodded. "Hmm, I see. And how many of you know how to handle tools? Or have some small experience in construction?"

Another ten joined the first four. The rest kept their hands down.

Elias nodded again and turned his gaze back ahead. He lowered his voice to speak with Jasper. "I'm sure the rest can help with temporary shelters. Unless, you have something else in mind for them?"

Jasper Sterling

"That's perfect!" Jasper agreed as he walked down the road. He motioned to a row of temporary houses that were a mix of tents and then quickly put together shacks. "Those that do not have experience building, please join the people already helping put up a temporary shelter."

He watched those students walk away before turning to the rest of the students that were left. He guided them to a row of houses that had been damaged during the shattering. Some of the homes were completely destroyed, but a few still had parts of the home still standing. Those were the ones that the builders were trying to get through first.

A group of craftsmen were already at work using a large supply of tools and material provided by House Sterling. Jasper motioned to the group the work.

"Alright, join in. I believe the man in charge is Thomas." He pointed to an older-looking man who a lot of the workers seemed to look to for answers. "Help in any way you can."

Jasper himself joined in, he walked over and took a large handful of nails, and placed them into his pockets. The only way he would be able to help would be through his magic. Otherwise, he would do more harm than good.

Elias Dorven

Elias sent the second group of students off with another of the professors. While he joined the rest in following Jasper. He glanced at his students as they wandered off. "Remember, your magic is of little use here. We'll have to rely on our practical skills." At least, they'd have to for this.

He helped Jasper in helping carry various tools to those who needed them. Unfortunately, he had little else to contribute in the way of construction. He glanced at the merchant. "I was relieved when I heard we received a message from a member of the Merchant Council. The shattering's left us all scrambling but, prolonged chaos will only make matters worse."

Jasper Sterling

Jasper was satisfied to help the students get started with the other builders before he took a step back to look at how well the overall operation was going. Progress was being made, but it felt like a drop in the bucket compared to the number of damages and the people in need of help.

Jasper also took this momentary break to walk back over to Elias. "Agreed, I was incredibly pleased to see you all here. The College will play a large role in getting the city back on its seat. Its cooperation with the Merchant's council is paramount...Speaking of which. How fairs the College? Any major damages?"

Elias Dorven

"I hope we do, while a few selfish souls may disagree, the College is nothing without the city of Elbion." Elias paused at Jasper's question. "Oh, well enough. The damage done to the College and its district was comparatively small when compared to the rest of the city. Not that there wasn't plenty to repair. The wall needed to be rebuilt, among other things."

A quick glance was all he needed to see how much worse things were for the rest of Elbion. He handed off some nails to a worker before rejoining Jasper. "I've heard things are much worse for the government. And I've seen that the Doge's Palace collapsed and the district was split into pieces. Do, you and the others truly live in such a state?"

Jasper Sterling

Jasper was glad to hear the news about Elbion College. It was important that both sides recognized the importance of helping one another. Much of the city's economic and military power was trained in the College, while the city's functions helped sustain the college. That's why the small damage to the college was great to hear. The quicker the college could get back to working at full speed, the quicker the city could bring in more students, which meant more resources the city could potentially use.

A troubled expression crossed Jasper's face as their talk switched to the government. "Yes, we are still looking for confirmation on several key figures, but at least some of the houses are still standing. My family bought one of the larger houses still standing in the city and we have been managing our businesses from that temporary location."

It was not an easy moving process, as much of his family was not used to living in such crowded conditions, but everyone had to make sacrifices. This was the best they could do for the time, and it seemed that they were slowly adapting to the situation.

Elias Dorven

Elias frowned when he heard the news. As long as the city's leadership was in shambles, it would struggle to recover. How could a government in chaos help bring about order? He said a prayer in his head, as there was little else he could think to do. "I see, that's most unfortunate. Though I'm pleased to hear that at least a portion of the houses are still standing."

He tried to put the matter out of mind, it would be better to focus on what they could fix. If they could reduce homelessness in Elbion, it would go a long way to helping bring some sense of stability back to the city. "It was generous of you and your family to come personally. I'd expected aid, but, many would prefer to send it from afar."

Jasper Sterling

"Yes, many would and that is entirely the problem..."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out several nails. He held them out before they began to float in the air. Each nail slowly moved over the building projects where nails were required. The nails lined up in their correct places.

A yell of acknowledgment was heard, serving as a signal to Jasper. He clenched his fist and with several loud bangs, the nails embedded themselves into the wood. Jasper opened his eyes from his focus and looked at Elias gravely.

"We are at a time of crisis...If the council is not willing to get their hands dirty and rise to the occasion, then they were never fit to rule in the first place."

Elias Dorven

Elias walked over to one of the nails Jasper was holding up and hummed. He took a deep breath in and summoned a golden light to his palm. With another thought, it formed into the shape of a hammer and solidified. He stepped up to the nail and lightly hammered it in.

He allowed the magic to dissipate as he turned back to Jasper. His expression hardened at his words. "I do not wish to speak ill of our leaders, but it's true, their response, so far, has left much to be desired." He glanced down the street, where the volunteers worked. If all the council had lent this much support, Elbion would be in better shape by now.

He wiped the grimness from his face and smiled. "Perhaps, we can find aid elsewhere. Somewhere other than the council itself, I'm sure there are others who'd be happy to help the city."

Jasper Sterling

Jasper tried not to show his displeasure at the idea. The thought of accepting outside help during such a crucial time for the city would not end well for them. He could see it operating just like how a hostile takeover works in business.

The outside sources would bring in those in need by offering what looks like a good deal. They would keep it up until the people became reliant on that help. Then they change the deal, but it would be too late by then...It was how it always worked.

"No, this city can pull itself up with its own hands. We must rely on ourselves, not on others."

Elias Dorven

Elias folded his hands in front of him. Watching Jasper carefully, though his expression didn't betray anything, his initial silence did. Clearly, the merchant didn't approve of the idea. He can venture a guess as to why, guilds and foreign governments had a reputation for being opportunistic.

He nodded at Jasper's answer. "I wasn't suggesting we seek the aid of anyone prominent enough to demand things in return. But, I won't argue with your decision. We'll have to garner the support of the people then."

Jasper Sterling

Jasper nodded in agreement as he continued to watch the men and women at work. The city around them was in pieces, but these people were working with determined faces. None of them looked defeated. Some might not have been fed or housed as well as they might like, but they were not defeated.

"Yes, the people will rally in times of need. It is our job to support them when they are ready."

Of course, his family could not do that without funds. The family had managed to get some of their trading infrastructures back up and running, but they would need to expand and potentially create new contacts to get back in the position they had once been.

"It does not matter if someone is prominent or not. They will always demand something in return if they do not already have a stake in the venture. It is human nature."

Elias followed Jasper's gaze, he too could see the people's enthusiasm for making things better. It was heartening, but without proper direction, such determination could lead to chaos in the streets. Yet too much leadership could lead to stagnation. A delicate balance had to be maintained.

He hummed. "Not always, there are charitable organizations in the world. But I'll concede that there are twice as many opportunists. Once we've attended to the people's basic needs for food and shelter, things in Elbion will improve."

Jasper Sterling

Jasper nodded in agreement before turning fully to look at Elias. "The council and the college have the power to do this together, but I need assurances that the college will not isolate itself."

He was not foolish. The college had long looked to be as independent as possible from the city, and now that the city was in near ruins, nothing was really stopping the college from doing whatever it desired.

"Other members of the council might be too proud to say it, but the city will need to rely on something...The city may need to use the college as a crutch for a time."

He heard a call from one of the carpenters and made his way over to grip one of the axes the man was complaining about. After focusing for a minute, the hilt of the tool sharpened itself. Jasper handed it back to the man with a smile and then looked to Elias to see his reaction to what he had just said.

Elias Dorven

Elias set a hand on his chin. "My colleagues are of a mixed mind, on the matter. There are some who'd prefer falling back on the College's old ways of isolation... But the majority see that Elbion needs our help. Even the more selfish ones agree that it doesn't do the College any good to be located in a ravaged city."

It was a shame that he had to appeal to the selfish desires of some, but if it served to bring order going forward, it had to be done. "The true challenge will be agreeing on a plan of action. The faculty can be a bit, opinionated on such things."

Jasper Sterling

"I believe I can help with that. When I get the chance, I plan to visit the council and discuss the plans that we can hold in common."

Jasper had meant to speak with them sooner, but he had not expected the chaos in the city and even in his own family to be as deep as it was. He did not even have time to himself, much less time to visit the Academy.

"Maybe more on the council could be persuaded with a small donation for House Sterling."

The casual way in which Jasper discussed bribery might have shocked some, but it was a common tool for the Eleven. Jasper had been raised on such normality. To him, this was a completely normal consideration.

Elias Dorven

• Yay
Reactions: Elias Dorven
Elias nodded along with Jasper's words up until he mentioned bribery, at that point he went still. He knew full well how things worked in Elbion, of course. And he suspected that Jasper meant the best, but such blatant talk of corruption didn't sit well with him. He smiled politely all the same. "I hope that won't be necessary, it would be best for us to be united in cause, rather than in love of coin."

Jasper Sterling

"True, but I am not so blind to the ways of the world. A lot of good things have happened in this world driven by a man's desire for money." Of course, a lot of bad things have occurred driven by greed as well.

"Either way, I still am looking to donate if the school needs it. Money sitting doing nothing is not effective during chaotic times."

Jasper turned to speak with one of the journeymen and quickly explained something with a shake of his head. The worker nodded and moved off to continue.

"I am worried how much longer this will all take.

Elias Dorven

Elias' smile grew strained, but still, he didn't let it fall. "I know well the ways of this world, enough to believe that encouraging such behavior only leads to greater harm. The noble of heart, grow fatigued by witnessing such things, while the unsavory are emboldened. It should only be employed where it's absolutely necessary to ward off chaos." He relented with a short exhale. "Ah, but that's a conversation for another time, I suppose."

He nodded at Jasper's next comment. "The donation could be useful in keeping up with expenses. Or perhaps, expanding our housing, additional students would go a long way toward helping both the College and city."

He trailed off when he saw the journeyman approach, waiting until he left to answer Jasper. His smile turned bittersweet. "Some wounds take time to heal, what matters if whether the people have the will to see it done."

Jasper Sterling

Hmm, a noble heart grows fatigued? Interesting way to look at it. His father had always told him that anyone can work for money, and money is the world's power equalizer. In that sense, it was the noblest of tools, but his father had also had a way with words.

The thought of his father made him frown. The man was not officially declared dead, but he had been missing ever since the shattering. It is likely that he was dead and buried under some rubble with other members of the family. A gruesome thought to say the least.

Jasper tried to ignore the thought and focus on his current conversation. If money was only going to go to housing more students then he would likely hold off for the moment. Housing citizens would be his first priority.

"Sadly, it does not seem to have much to do with the will at the moment. We must heal or the people and the city will die, whether that is from starvation or lack of housing...We simply must."

Elias Dorven