Private Tales Fight Fire With Fire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Ayreal Mellbrand

Pyromage
Character Biography
Link
The first few rays of early morning pink cast their light across the buildings sending long shadows into the city streets and morning turned to day. Ayreal had woken up before dawn to walk to Alliria city with her cousin Corin and older brother Aaron. Over the past couple of weeks, her family had been called upon to fight a string of fires that kept breaking out in Alliria city. Her families talents as Pyromages lent them well to putting out fires. However, even with it being summer there were an inordinate number of fires that seemed to be breaking out for no reason. The merchant council was beginning to suspect that these were deliberate attacks and not just random occurrences. Because of this, they had hired a mercenary to protect the Mellbrand family while they did their job and to catch the arsonist. If there even was one.

They approached the firehouse, entering the courtyard they passed the horse tethered to the special fire cart, a tank of water attached to the back along with a pump and hose. They walked inside the main building where the rest of the firefighters hung out when off duty. Most of the people who worked here were normal, it was only when they were short handed or during a crisis that they brought in pyromages to help.

Ayreal placed the tin bucket with their lunches down in a corner before waving at some of the men hanging around the place. "Good morning boys," She smiled.

"Have any of you seen that mercenary that the council was going to send us?" Aaron asked. The fire chief stood up from his chair and shook his head.

"Sorry, Haven't seen anyone, sure they'll show up though." He said then turning to Ayreal "Here, have my seat," He offered.

Ayreal scoffed "Right, do I look like an invalid to you? I am perfectly fine to stand," she said.

"Suit yourself, mam," He chuckled sitting back down.

Smiling One

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Smiling One
While Willis did call Alliria his home, he didn't have many fond memories. From his mother abandoning him at the age of six because she didn't like the look of him to resorting to beg and steal on the streets every day was a struggle to survive for Willis. The best day of his life was when he left with Captain Davis at the age of 12 to sail the seas as a Pirate. Willis left his home, his name, everything It was a fresh start at life.

Once again returning to Allia a new man, the first thing Willis did was to look for the notice board as he always did whenever searching for work. There weren't any jobs that caught Willis' eye just a missing cat or the usual Giant Rat problem but there was a note that was about an Arsonist on the loose. Curious, Willis took the note and examined it a man had been recently set fire to multiple buildings has escaped custody. The note called for a mercenary to protect a Pyromancer family: The Mellbrands while they did their investigation. Willis turned to the town crier who were usually young boys tasks with relaying interest between clients and told him that he was interested. Giving the kid a coin, the boy turned on his heel and ran as fast as he could

Sounded like easy coin! Taking the note and folding it into his little black bag, Willis headed towards the place. By the time he arrived, the young man saw firefighters and what appeared to be Pyromancers walking around. Getting inside, Willis smiled trying to appear as professional as he can be. "Excuse me," Willis said knocking on the door as went in. "I'm here about the job? My name is Willis Reede."

• Yay
Reactions: Ayreal Mellbrand
Ayreal looked up and gave him a once over before giving him a cockeyed grin. "Well then, you seem capable enough?" She said eyeing his fit form, scars, and calloused hands, "But how good are you in a fight?" She chuckled.

"Ayreal, don't be rude," Aaron chided "Welcome Willis, We'll be glad to work with you," he said coming forward and shaking his hand with a strong grip. "I'm Aaron, That's Corin, and you've already met Ayreal, We're of the Mellbrand clan and we'll be working with you for now," Dispight being magic wielders none of the Mellbrands looked a stranger to hard labor. Even Ayreal had calloused hands and looked as if she could pull her weight no problem.

"Aw, come on brother, Will's a big boy, I'm sure he can take a bit of pressure," Ayreal chuckled.

• Yay
A red-headed woman was the first to greet Willis giving him a grin while examining him. "Well then, you seem capable enough?" she said. "But how good are you in a fight?"

Willis smirked in response he's already taken a liking to this young woman. She bristling with confidence and ball busting. Willis was about to respond until a man who towered over the woman defended Willis. The young man remained silent, under normal circumstances Willis would've explained his credentials but hearing someone defend him felt nice as well besides it grew his ego.

"Welcome Willis, We'll be glad to work with you," the man coming forward and shaking his hand with a strong grip. "I'm Aaron, That's Corin, and you've already met Ayreal, We're of the Mellbrand clan and we'll be working with you for now."

Willis smiled at Ayreal who was teasing her brother. "Please to meet you both," Willis said releasing himself from Aaron's grip and trying to regain feeling. The man had an iron vice grip to the point where Willis felt one of the bones in his hand popped. "I've never worked with Pyromancers before much less a family."

Willis then turned to Ayreal giving her a smirk. "Considering you've heard of me," he said. "I think that speaks for itself." Willis went towards the table and leaned against it staring at the siblings. "So what's the plan of attack?" he asked. "We got any clues to where this psycho could be?"

"In the past two weeks three shops, a ship at the docks and most recently a nobble's stable have caught fire," Corin said, he was a bit shorter than Arron with brown hair tied back in a ponytail.

Ayreal shrugged and hopped up to sit on the edge of the table crossing her legs. "The higher-ups think it's that arsonist that escaped recently but I don't see the motivation. Why would they stick around to set fire to stuff when they could just escape and go somewhere where no one knew them." She explained nonchalantly. "Oh yeah, and it's Pyro mage, not mancer. We're not one of those amateurs. What we do is an art. It runs in our blood. Them solo mancers think fire is something you can learn to control from books or a college, they don't know nothing about what real fire can do," Ayreal was enjoying this, the mercenary type was usually pretty fun to play with. This one seemed good-natured enough and wasn't too shabby looking either. Though she didn't see this going anywhere serious. Mercenaries were usually bad in the commitment department.

• Yay
"In the past two weeks three shops, a ship at the docks and most recently a noble's stable have caught fire," another brother said. Willis crossed his arms listening to the man, It seems oddly specific that he would target certain places.

"The higher-ups think it's that arsonist that escaped recently but I don't see the motivation. Why would they stick around to set fire to stuff when they could just escape and go somewhere where no one knew them." Ayreal said hopping on a table sitting next to Willis.

"Usually arsonists like to watch their work," Willis said remembering encountering a crazed Dwarf arsonist who tried to burn down the village he lived in because his wife left him. After helping the inhabitants get rid of the flames, Willis located the Dwarf near the woods leading to the village to watch his work unfold and managed to talk him out of setting himself on fire while he did so and last he heard, the Dwarf was at a mental institution somewhere near Alliria.

Willis lifted himself off of the table. "Is there a connection to these fires?" Willis asked. "The places that our arsonist set on fire, does it belong to a specific owner?"

Before he can finish, Alyreal interrupted him. "Oh yeah, and it's Pyro mage, not mancer. We're not one of those amateurs. What we do is an art. It runs in our blood. Them solo mancers think fire is something you can learn to control from books or a college, they don't know nothing about what real fire can do."

Willis chuckled at that statement, the Pyromancers he remembered were old chemists who claim can create huge explosives. "Forgive me," he smirked. "You're right they don't know what real fire can do. Fire represents passion," Willis then looked Alyreal over. "And beauty," he winked.

• Yay
Aaron coughed and folded his arms over his chest. "The nobleman that the stables belonged to was a sir Haris Dore, His father made their fortune in the jewelry industry. As far as we can tell the ship didn't belong to him, nor did the shops." He said interrupting their moment.

"The shops didn't seem to have any connection to them either, one was a cobbler's shop, another was a blacksmith shop, and the third was, strangely enough, a bathhouse," Corin added.

"That one didn't get very far," Ayreal laughed, the furnace in the basement that heats the water blew up, I actually used to work their not too long ago. Two of my cousins were working there at the time, though they weren't on duty when the thing blew. The thing was old and ready to go, I doubt it is connected to this serial arsonist if they even exist." She shrugged.

• Yay
Though Willis was slightly annoyed at the fact that Aaron interrupted their moment, he had a job to do and an Arson to catch. "The nobleman that the stables belonged to was a sir Haris Dore, His father made their fortune in the jewelry industry. As far as we can tell the ship didn't belong to him, nor did the shops." Aaron said.

"The shops didn't seem to have any connection to them either, one was a cobbler's shop, another was a blacksmith shop, and the third was, strangely enough, a bathhouse," Corin added.

"So no connection then," Willis said throwing that assumption out. "So we're likely dealing with a mad man."

"That one didn't get very far," Ayreal laughed, the furnace in the basement that heats the water blew up, I actually used to work their not too long ago. Two of my cousins were working there at the time, though they weren't on duty when the thing blew. The thing was old and ready to go, I doubt it is connected to this serial arsonist if they even exist."

Willis was deep in thought trying to look around the place for clues. "Did you guys scrub the place of clues?" he asked. "Sure it's hard to find anything in an arson case but It's worth looking at anyway."

• Yay
"The bath house was the first place to go up. No one was thinking that this was intentional until the ship and the nobles place went up." Corin said

"Right," Ayreal scoffed "go figure. Little guys get hit and the higher-ups do nothing, but hit where the money is and all of a sudden they are all up in arms to catch this person." She shook her head and folded her arms.

"If you want to look for clues we can go talk to Mason and Daren see if they saw anything. They're still working at the bathhouse, helping to keep the place running while they fix the old heater."

"Isn't Meral working there now too?" Ayreal asked.

"Yeah, they needed the extra help so she'll be working with them for a week or so," Corin said.

• Yay
Willis listened to the brother and cousin explain how the fires started. Leaning back on the table again, he stared at the two brothers. “It’s possible,” he surmised. “That the bathroom fire was just a distraction perhaps our arsonist cast some spell or detonated something while he focused on the real targets.”

Perhaps this mad Arsonist wasn’t so mad after all. Maybe there was a logical motive for him burning all this stuff. Well logical according to an Arsonist.

"Right," Ayreal scoffed "go figure. Little guys get hit and the higher-ups do nothing, but hit where the money is and all of a sudden they are all up in arms to catch this person."

"That's the way of things," Willis said. "Noble assholes don't lift a finger when the people who feed their fat asses get hit with disease, famine or bandit attacks but when their bottom line gets hit it's a fucking tragedy."

Though Willis was reliant on the nobles to get the best possible pay, he wasn't blind to the nobles exploiting poor saps like him. "If you want to look for clues we can go talk to Mason and Daren see if they saw anything. They're still working at the bathhouse, helping to keep the place running while they fix the old heater." Corin said.

Willis began to crack his neck as he got ready to go. "Sounds like a good place start," he said. "Shall we split up? I'm with Ayreal." The young man winked at the red-head, it didn't have to be work all the time.

Last edited:
Aaron scowled at the implication.

"Relax Aaron, I can handle myself." Ayreal laughed hopping off of the table. "If big guy tries anything I don't like I'll just singe his eyebrows off." She looked back at will and cocked her head looking at his eyebrows "Though it would be a pity to deprive the world of them." She laughed and winked before turning back to her brother.

He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose "You are not helping your case,"

"Don't worry about me, you go look into the shops, Corin can go and talk with his brothers about the bathhouse and Me and Will can go talk to Sir Dore, see if he had any enemies." She said.

"Fine," Aaron sighed reluctantly.

"Perfect. You boy's will have to manage without us," She said waving at the other firefighters hanging around in the lobby before heading for the door. When her back was turned Aaron gave Willis a sharp glare which clearly carried the message that if anything happened to Ayreal then Will would have more to worry about than just some singed eyebrows.

• Yay
"Relax Aaron, I can handle myself." Ayreal laughed hopping off of the table. "If big guy tries anything I don't like I'll just singe his eyebrows off." Ayreal said. "I have a feeling that you'll singe more than just my eyebrows," Willis laughed nervously he's learned throughout his travels to not mess with mages, he'll likely get his cock blown off.

"She'll be fine," Willis said. "What matters right now is that madman is on the loose, we have to get him before he causes more damage to the city."

Willis turned on his heel and stared at Ayreal. "Ready to go Red?" Willis winked. He was eager to get started.

• Yay
"Sure," Ayreal said lightly as she walked out into the courtyard with a spring in her step. Even though it was still early it was already hot out, she could tell it was going to be a scorcher, "Oh, by the way, If you call me Red again, I'm going to have to start calling you bushy brows." She chuckled not even bothering to look back as she crossed the courtyard and walked out into the street. Even though it was hot the heat didn't seem to bother her.

• Yay
Willis didn’t expect today to be so hot, beads of sweat was forming near his brow as struggled to catch up Ayreal who seemed to love the heat. “Well of course she loves the heat,” Willis thought. “She’s a Pyromage her life was spent probably idolizing the flames.”

Ayreal snapped Willis out of his thoughts, teasing him that she might call him bushy brows if Willis keeps calling Ayreal Red. “Go ahead!” Willis grinned. “I’ve been called worse this will actually be the nicest nickname I’ve received.”

Jogging to Ayreals side, Willis figured that while they were on their way he’d probably get to know the young woman. Hey it’s best to know the pretty person you’re working with right?

“So Ayreal,” Willis asked. “Tell me about yourself, where did your family come from?”

Ayreal shrugged "My clan has lived on a farm outside of Alliria for generations... well now it is more like a village, we even have our own chapel and cemetery. My Great-Great-Grandmother was the first to settle there. Then their's my immediate family, you already met Aaron, he's the oldest, then there's Lucca, Seril, Me, Cole, the twins Marry and Hayanne, Markus, and the littlest Lanora." She said listing them off on her fingers. "Alright, now it's your turn, where you from?"

• Yay
"Quite a family," Willis replied brushing past people on their way to work. Willis had spent most of his childhood alone, though he did have some friends who helped steal, beg and served as spies for rival gangs. Ever since he left Alliria for the first time with Captain Davis, he'd lost contact with the few friends he made. The young man liked to travel solo mainly because he prefers it but also so Willis could avoid uncomfortable questions like Alyreal was about to ask.

"Alright, now it's your turn, where you from?" Alyreal said.

Willis sighed heavily sometimes it was his affable front that got him trouble. "I was born here," Willis said bluntly. "Didn't have a family." He then turned away and headed straight to where they were going. Willis didn't want to talk about his past, his mother the struggles he endured as a child. Willis preferred to go forward without ever looking back, life too short to be worrying about the past. So Willis chose to ignore it.

"Right," Willis said frowning. "Let's talk about something else......"

• Yay
Ayreal arched an eyebrow at his terse response. Well then touchy subject. She shrugged and followed him. The mood ruined she decided to talk business. "So, about this case. I've already said what I think about it. But what about you? Do you think this is some malicious force or just a case of a dry heat spell?" She asked walking along beside him.

• Yay
Willis sighed when Ayreal raised an eyebrow. If only she asked questions that weren't related to his past, but Willis did invite it when he asked the redhead about her family. "I just don't like talking about my past," Willis said forcing a smile. "I hope you understand." Willis did hate to disappoint a pretty girl but there were just some things he'd dare not talk about.

"So, about this case. I've already said what I think about it. But what about you? Do you think this is some malicious force or just a case of a dry heat spell?" Ayreal said walking next to Willis. The young man once again crossed his arms lost in thought, part of him wanted to blame on the recent heat wave that just hit Alliria but something told him that these attacks were deliberate.

"It sounds like someone is doing this maliciously," Willis replied. "Think about it, one moment a place is on fire then five minutes later another place. A little coincidental don't you think?" Willis saw that they were approaching their destination and turned to Ayreal. "If you ask me," he said. "It sounds like we may have a mage or the person is working in conjunction with someone else."

Ayreal shrugged, "Perhaps."

She looked up as they approached the iron gates of the city dwelling of sir Haris Dore. Just inside and off to the side of the road, she could see a small gatehouse. A bell tied to a cord hung next to the gate. She pulled it and the bell rang out. However, after a minute there was no change. No one came. She scowled. Grabbing hold of the gate she rattled it violently and shouted at the quiet gatehouse "Hey old man, get your lazy ass out here and let us in!"

There was another moment's silence and then the door to the gatehouse opened and an older, graying man shuffled out with a scowl on his face. "What do you damn pyro's want? Haven't you done enough?"

Ayreal pursed her lips and cocked her head "enough? we saved your master's house from burning down but alright, whatever you want to believe. We are here to speak with Sir Heris Dore about the fire yesterday."

The mans scowled darkened but he unlocked the gate and let them in.

• Yay
Willis and Ayreal approached the gatehouse, it looked quaint and empty. The young man stood silent observing Ayreal ringing the small bell that was located on the front of the gate. After a few minutes of waiting, the red-headed pyro mage grew frustrated and began rattling the gate cursing the man to come out. Willis chuckled in response, he met clients who were often too stubborn to cooperate. Willis would usually find ways to make them talk but he did love the straight forward approach that Ayreal did.

The young woman had balls and was very feisty, a part of Willis was a bit envious that she had a loving family but that was life right? It can give you a mine full of diamonds or a sewer full of shit, you just have to deal with it. The old servant came out, angrily accusing the Pyromages of causing trouble. "An arsonist is burning buildings and you're pissing off the people who are willing to help you?" Willis asked raising an eyebrow. "Don't be an ungrateful bastard all right? We're investing time and energy trying to keep that asshole off the streets. Perhaps we can just let him loose and have him go after you instead."

He shouldn't have said that but Willis wasn't in the mood of standing around over the hot sun. When the old man allowed them in, Willis smirked at Ayreal "you've got balls Red," he said. "I love that in a woman."

"Oh, it's nothing. I just can't stand thick headed Igrnoamous's" She said glowering at the gatekeeper before marching up the path to the main building. Passing between a row of small trees lining the main road, which was big enough for a carriage to pass through, They came out into a wide courtyard. Off to one side, the frame of a chard stable stood. the structure itself looked as if it had once been bigger than most homes, While the Lord's main residence towered up in front of them.

She quickly trotted up the steps and skipping the bell knocked rapidly on the door. A moment passed and a servant opened the door.

"Hello, I am Ayreal Melbrand and this is Willis Reede, we are with the fire company, we are here to investigate the fire yesterday and make sure nothing like this happens again. May we speak with Sir Dore?"

The servant looked them both over and nodded "Come in, Sir Dore is currently having Breakfast, I will alert him of your presence. Wait here for a moment."

The heavy wooden door closed behind them as they entered into a large high-ceilinged entryway. The floors were marble and a large staircase leading up to a railed walkway above. Several doors and archways lead out of the main all and a large full hight painting of a man in fancy pink brocade holding a rapier hung on the back wall.

Ayreal had met Sir Dore during the fire the other day, this portable looked like him but not quite, it was probably his father. Dark hair slicked back and an imperious look on its face.

"This man's got some ego to hang a thing like that in the front room," Ayreal chuckled when they were left alone in the room.

• Yay
"Oh, it's nothing. I just can't stand thick headed Igrnoamous's" Ayreal replied glaring at the old gatekeeper who clearly did appreciate her retorts.

Willis laughed at that response. "I know how you feel," he said smiling remembering all of the arrogant clients he worked for over the years.

Ayreal went towards the main building while Willis followed her taking note of all the rare plants that were growing around the garden. "I gotta get some of these herbs," he said to himself. "I could make some deadly potions with them."

Another servant greeted the pair and Willis groaned. "For fuck's sake," he mumbled at Ayreal. "How many people do we need to fucking see before this greets?"

Seriously who does this guy think he is? Willis has been inside houses from people with lots of coin. They were nowhere near as pretentious and stuffy as this guy was. Obviously, this knight thinks he's someone of importance because of his status as a chivalrous warrior. When the two of them were left alone, Ayreal chuckled commenting on the house owners ego.

"This guy thinks he's so important because he wipes some rich cunt's ass and he decides to knight him," Willis said shaking his head staring at the portable above. "In reality, he's some glorified mercenary who tries to come across as the good guy." Willis spat on the ground throwing any pretenses of professionalism. "Such bullshit people see through that."

• Yay
A sly grin spread across Ayreal's face and she glanced around before leaning in, "You want to hear the real gossip," She whispered behind a cupped hand. "From what I've heard he's never even seen a battlefield. Made a fortune in the precious stones business, minging and stuff. The title of knight is just honorary. Some say he even bribed one of the lords on the merchant council for it. Gets all the benefits without having to do any of the work." Leaning back she looked up at Willis to see what he thought of the information.

• Yay
Willis sniggered in response, that wasn't much of a rumor as it was the truth. Many Knights "earned" their knighthood through their connection rather than proving themselves on the battlefield. Young tavern women and young boys would fawn over the idealized version of the Knight cheering them on during tournaments. Yet Willis and the more battle-hardened mercenaries could see through the facade. Knights were glorified mercenaries at best or delusional people just living out a childhood fantasy at worst.

"That's just fact Red," Willis whispered. "There was a story recently of some dumb asshole who was recently knighted. A fat drunkard who's better at lifting a goblet than a sword. He was supposed to join the vanguard to fight some bandits that appeared but the first sight of fight, he shit his breeches and ran off crying for his mother."

Willis chuckled as he leaned forward at Ayreal. "Seems that a lot of these "Knights" just rather show off rather than actually follow what it takes to be a real knight," he said. "You and I will probably be better at this shit than them. Likely without all of the dick waving they often do since behind every knight is just a pile of shit."

• Yay
Ayreal laughed, "You'd make a good knight," She chuckled. Her mirth dissipated as the servant returned.

"His lordship will see you in the sitting room now," She said leading them into one of the many side rooms. there was a rug on the floor and comfortable seating arranged around a low table with a cold fireplace against the back wall. A tall man with black hair stood behind an armchair. His eyes fell on them as they entered and he walked around the chair. "Come, have a seat. What may I do for you?" He asked amicably, if not a bit stiffly.

Ayreal glanced aground and waited for sir Dore to sit down in the armchair before plopping herself down on the edge of the table and crossing her legs. She was about to explain why they were here but then had an idea, Why not let Will do the talking for now. See what he's got.

• Yay