Private Tales Falling Snow..

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Willa's teeth flashed in a wide grin of amusement at Orest's choice of imagery, and at Ivar's apparent distaste. It was simply nice to be around humour, even if it was brash. What shamed her was the sudden jolt of fear that sparked her adrenaline at the mere thought of being left alone, but she managed to catch herself from letting it show and she smiled instead. She wasn't about to ruin their fun by being cowardly.

She gave a short nod to Ivar. I'll be alright, it said with a soft smile.

"Loser can butcher and cook it." she smirked.

They pulled the horses off of the beaten track and travelled uphill for a little while longer before finding some flat ground with rocks at their backs. The trees were so thick around them that they'd barely allowed any light to speckle the ground, but here it opened up like a window to the skies. It would be a dry night, so there was no need for any more shelter than this..

"I suppose I'll make myself useful and get a fire going whilst you're off playing your games, hm?" she chuckled.

• Bless
Reactions: Ivar
Ivar smiled as he squatted besides her. "Why?"

He asked, his voice utterly serious.

"You're of the north, just like us." In truth, he was not entirely sure how Orest had grown up, but that didn't matter much. The man wasn't from Kjos, but the free cities were close enough that lives roiled in the same direction. Save for small differences anyway.

"You might have grown up in your fathers longhouse." Ivar said. "But you can hunt."

That much he was confident of. "And, you don't have to use a bow."

His eyebrows bumped up and down for a second. "Might even be able to nab yourself a mammoth."

A creature which undoubtedly did not exist this far south, but the jist was still there. Willa was no less a hunter than either Ivar or Orest.

"And I suppose you want me to use my bare hands?" she asked with a quirk of a brow. She could hunt, her father had made sure of it, but since she'd left home she'd grown weaker and more and more unsure of herself. Being on her own in the dark?...

"I'd.. much rather stay and get a fire going.." she frowned gently and cleared her throat, forcing a small smile. "Wouldn't want to show you boys up and deflate all that masculine energy." she smirked.

• Popcorn
Ivar's smile faltered for a brief moment, fingers drawing closed to a fist.

He was a berserker, a thing of rage, anger. He could sunder regiments, terrify fire giants, but this...this wasn't something he was used to. Lips thinned, and slowly he stepped forward. Not a single word passed from his lips as he moved closer to Willa.

A gentle hand reached out, grasping first one of her hands, and then the other. "You don't need your hands."

Ivar reminded her softly.

"You have a gift." He continued. "You don't have to use it to hunt, you don't have to play our little games."

Fingers enveloped hers, squeezing softly. "But you most certainly shouldn't be worried about showing us up."

He smiled at her.

"We are men of the north." Ivar said. "We know that our women are stronger than we could ever hope to be."

Gently he leaned over, kissing her forehead. "You especially."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Willa
Being powerless for so long had certainly helped her forget that she had any strength what-so-ever. Ivar's reminder warmed her, and her eyes closed as he kissed her forehead and squeezed her hands. She hated the feeling of weakness, even physically, she ached from old wounds and from the chill of ice in her bones. She felt fragile, and it angered her.

"I think I'd do more harm than good.." she whispered under her breath with a dry laugh. When it came to her gift, it rendered her vulnerable and it felt as difficult to control as the tides. "I'll stay here. At least that way we know where at least one of us is.. We should remain cautious." she smiled up at him.

"Now go get on with it. I'm starved." she smirked.

• Popcorn
Ivar frowned for a moment, but slowly nodded his head. "If that's what you want."

He would never force a decision on her. Not this one or any other.

When they had met she had been shattered, broken. Now the pieces were slowly coming back together. Ivar knew that pushing her would be no help, and might only create cracks where there once had been solid foundation.

Willa had to make the choice, not him. "Oh I'm sure I can beat Orest."

Ivar said with a smile, gently pulling back from her.

"The man might fight, but he's like a gresh walking over ice." The massive four legged beasts were not well known for their grace of silence. "No stealth to that one."

The Berserker knew the irony of his statement, he wasn't exactly an assassin either. A brief smile flickered over his lips, and then he pulled the hand ax from his belt and walked into the woods. Intent on finding something for them to eat.

• Cthuloo
Willa watched him go with a soft smile, and the moment he was gone from sight she looked around at her surroundings. Her lips pressed thinly and she let out a sharp breath. She could make herself useful by getting a fire going and tending to the horses. Anything to keep her mind from wandering into the darkness.

Every snap and creak or shiver of wind through the trees caused every muscle to tense as she limped around the small clearing lifting fallen branches and plucking dried grass. The horses nickered, likely sensing her unease.

"Pathetic thing." she muttered to herself as she dropped to her knees and started constructing the fire.. It didn't take her too long, and when it was lit and thriving she pressed her back against a thick oak, trying not to pay attention to the darkening forest around her.

• Stressed
A loud crack snapped within the forest, the breaking of a branch which seemed to echo out almost thunderously behind Willa.

"Ach! Fucken' rotten' trees."​

Oren's voice echoed out just a few seconds after the sound. When Willa turned she would see the giant of a Northman stalking through the woods. Over his shoulder he carried two small creatures, both no bigger than a rabbit but with strange glimmering scales.

Seeing the fire the northman rushed the last few steps into the clearing, eager for the warmth Willa had created.

"Urathash be praised!"​

Orren called out, praising the ancient Frost Giant.

"I've always loved a nice fire."​

He said as he slung the strange lizards onto the ground, eying his prize with great glee.

"So where's your man then? He'll be fumin' mad when he sees these things. 'Cause there ain't shit else out there."​

• Smug
There was little she could do to hide her fright at the sound of snapping branch behind her. She shoved herself to her feet and spun to face it, a hand held up and then pressed hard against her chest as she realised who it was.

A breath shuddered out and she offered a shaky smile, eyeing the strange creatures he he carried. She sat back down gingerly, and turned her gaze to the darkness outside the halo of light..

"I'm not sure..." she admitted with a frown, trying to ignore the spark of worry that ignited in her chest.. Ivar was well capable of looking after himself. He was coming back.

Her throat cleared and she dragged her attention back to the fire and Orest with a light smirk.. "What are they, exactly?..."

• Sip
"I have absolutely no blasted idea, lass!"​

The hulk of a northman said with a cackling laugh. Orren seemed in an almost constant state of amusement, a bright smile nearly permanently fixed on his face. He swept forward, sitting himself down on a small log and pulling free a knife from his belt.

One of his meaty paws reached out, grabbing a lizard from the floor.

"But I know it's got meat! So at least we can eat it."​

Another chuckle escaped the man as he slowly began to set the work on the small animals. His knife setting about skinning the creatures in what was probably the most indelicate butchery that had ever been seen. A mess quickly forming on the ground beneath him,

"Blasted things...skin won't-"​

"Who in Volstus taught you how to skin an animal?" Ivar's voice broke through the din of darkness. The smaller of the two northmen slowly stepping into the light. Over his shoulder slung a deer, of a sort, save it had four horns and a strangely long tail.

He grinned. "Better brawler than woodsmen, eh?"

Willa's nose wrinkled as she watched Orest's attempt at skinning the strange creatures, but she couldn't help but grin behind the furs pulled up around her face to hide it.

Ivar's voice was such a welcome relief that she smiled at him as though she had not seen him in years. "At least you haven't had to watch.." she chuckled quietly, her crystalline gaze sweeping over the prize that Ivar had slung over his shoulder.

"Ain't shit else out there, eh?" Willa's lips twisted at Orest as she pushed herself to her feet, and limped slowly to Ivar. She didn't care about the smell of dead animal, or the presence of Orest, she simply kissed him with everything she felt.

• Ctuhlu senpai
"Bah! I just went for something more...unique!"​

Orest said, shaking his head. Though from the tone of his voice it was clear there was no bitterness to losing the competition. It was better to have a full meal, and something to spare, than have to do this again tomorrow night.

Ivar only chuckled, shaking his head.

A smile blooming on his face as Willa pushed herself up to her feet. He took quick steps, ensuring she would not have to stumble too far to reach him. His free hand settling on her hip as she stepped up in front of him. Surprise flickered over his features for just a brief moment as she kissed him.

Yet it was swiftly forgotten as his hand slid to the small of her back, gently tugging her closer as his lips danced with hers.

Her palms splayed on his chest and furled into his clothes, anchoring herself to him. How quickly her mind was able to darken whilst alone in the woods, but now she could cast away now that he had returned, safe and well. She was sure that the more he proved those worries wrong, that each time he returned to her and with every soft kiss and gentle touch, that she would know him to be her truth and her mind wouldn't be so quick to darken.

The breathy laugh that spilled from her lips was almost apologetic as she broke the kiss and lowered from her tiptoes, looking up at him sheepishly. Even Orest had been stunned to silence apparently.

"Congratulations?..." her brow quirked and she turned to observe whatever Ivar had brought them to eat.. "This looks way more appealing.." she grinned.

• Cthuulove
"Yes." Ivar agreed with a breathy word. "Yes it does."

His fingers slowly grazed over her skin. Their embrace falling away as the two of them slowly returned to the fire, Orest shaking his head.

"Don't feel too bad about it, my father was an exile. Started taking me hunting when I was five." Ivar had grown up scrounging the tundra for any scraps of meat to be eaten. Compared to that this place was a veritable farm of wildlife.

"Aye, well least we don't have to deal with this."​

Orest said, shaking his head and dropping one of the mangled lizards to the ground.

Ivar looked at Willa, only shaking his head with a small smirk.

A few minutes later the Barbarian got to work. Quickly skinning and portioning their meal, helping Willa set out what was to be cooked and saved. Before long all three of them were well fed enough for the day, the fire flickering in front of them as they sat around it.

Willa and Ivar on one side, Orest on the other. A quietly comforting moment as the snows began to fall.