Private Tales Dark Discipline

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Tell me boy. I don't suppose there's pattern or rhyme or reason to the colours. Do you notice one or the other becomes more frequent when you're sad or angry?" He posed the question to the boy with his book in his lap, patiently awaiting his response.

“Well yes, when I’m angry it’s glows bright orange. When I’m upset or sad it’s blue. When I’m nervous it’s green.” He explained. “When it’s white I’m usually excited about something. But most of the time it’s just yellow, like most fires.”

The boy couldn’t quite demonstrate this as he couldn’t force emotion on himself, but it would be demonstrated eventually.

(Sorry for the wait. Life got crazy.)

No worries! Know all to well life does that :) ))

Rathu listened intently as the boy spoke on; it did sound like something he could blame on empathy magic. He held no true knowledge of the branch of magic himself, but that mattered little; neither did anyone else residing in the household by the looks of it. So long as he kept his accusations plausible, he could likely spin whatever theories he wished. A potentially useful tool indeed.

"Hmm; lad, I recall I've heard of something that might explain it, though long ago. In the meantime I will have to request further literature on the topic; but I won't wait for it to arrive to do what I can. I can't ask you to demonstrate, but I should stay about. I would like to observe this when able."
He added, again in reassuring tone.

• Bless
Reactions: Cinder
"Hmm; lad, I recall I've heard of something that might explain it, though long ago. In the meantime I will have to request further literature on the topic; but I won't wait for it to arrive to do what I can. I can't ask you to demonstrate, but I should stay about. I would like to observe this when able." He added, again in reassuring tone.

The boy nodded, “that sounds good. We have a library in the city, it does contain some arcane books I think. Inform my father if you intend to go and retrieve some books on the subject. He will be happy to hear that you have some idea on where to look.” The boy said. “And sir, thank you.”

• Yay
Reactions: Rathu Belzad
"I shall, that would be the best place to start. I hope that there might be something relevant; the sooner I have information the faster I may act" He spoke to the boy with a nod and a smile. "I am happy to be of aid my lad. I shall see you well again" he added with a tone of determined confidence, bidding farewell to the boy before departing in search of the Legatus.

"Sir, if I may have a moment. I've a hypothesis on what might be afflicting your boy, but my literature does not cover the topic sufficiently. He tells me of a library in the city, and to notify you of my visit there – the resources may prove helpful research." He explained, in feigned progress and wisdom.

• Bless
"Sir, if I may have a moment. I've a hypothesis on what might be afflicting your boy, but my literature does not cover the topic sufficiently. He tells me of a library in the city, and to notify you of my visit there – the resources may prove helpful research." He explained, in feigned progress and wisdom.

The legatus looked up at his entrance, and upon being told that he would like to visit the library for reference he nodded, “I had expected as much. Go ahead and visit this library, I willing have to trust your expertise.”

Iris in the meanwhile had run out of merchandise to sell in his stead and sat behind the stall and read the first infernal book, her knowledge slowly growing as she tirelessly forced the knowledge into her brain, she tried to summon fire, and after a few tries succeeded.

• Sip
"Hopefully they have knowledge that I require, I shall peruse their texts." he replied tactfully before departing from the legatus's estate, heading towards the library.

Once out of sight in a properly secluded area, Rathu dismissed the illusory disguise of his wizard persona to revert to his former, standard appearance. From there, his travels promptly changed direction to take him away from the library and back towards the bustling noise of the marketplace.

A short travel brought him back, and he continued on though the crowds of vendors and shoppers that crowded the street until he reached his own unassuming stall, lacking in wares. For a moment, he couldn't help but tense up; had she simply used him for her own escape? Bested him at his own game? He mused with bitterness that he should have killed and discarded her, wishing well he did.

At least until he caught sight of Iris's head from her position behind the stall. Defeat, and the sense of ire it brought, evaporated into relief within a moment. He was mistaken in his former assumption that she had run off with the wares, and wonderfully so. After all, he had brought more than he ever expected to sell in a day.

"I return Iris; I hope you've been well. And....did you sell everything?" Rathu asked in a tone of pleased wonder, and a smile of happiness and awe on his face.

"I return Iris; I hope you've been well. And....did you sell everything?" Rathu asked in a tone of pleased wonder, and a smile of happiness and awe on his face.

She looked up a nod smiled proudly at his wonder, “almost, those three were the only things left.”

Iris nodded towards a stack of three blankets on the bottom shelf. “I put all the profits back there so no one decided to steal it from a ‘helpless slave’ such as myself.”

The ‘helpless slave’ statement was said with an eye roll, something that seemed to amuse her. “And yes I have been well. It’s been pretty boring if I’m honest, at least until I started reading through this. It’s fascinating!”

“How went your visit with the Legatus?”

"I never imagined to make so many sales in one day!" Rathu exclaimed "You've outdone me here Iris." he added, nodding at her explanation about hiding the money, and smirking at the comment about being a 'helpless slave'. Oh, Rathu knew she wasn't.

"It is the most amazing work I've laid hands upon. I'm pleased to share it with you, and that I found another worthy of it." He spoke, still beaming. "And but the first text of many!" he added. Rathu was absolutely excited at the prospect of ever more forbidden power in his hands, just as Iris.

“How went your visit with the Legatus?”
"Wonderfully; Not only did I get the position, I got to meet the lad. Scared sort, gifted with the power of magic, but not control over it. They believe I know what I'm doing; I told the legatus I'm at the library conducting research right now.

I'll be spending plenty of time there at the estate too, watching the lad as I pretend to diagnose him. All progresses as planned."
He answered with smile still worn on his face.

"Well, let's head back and get those shackles off then, no? And stop by the food market; A day of profit and productivity like this calls for a fine meal!" he concluded, happily moving about the stall to begin packing up for the walk back home.

"I never imagined to make so many sales in one day!" Rathu exclaimed "You've outdone me here Iris." he added, nodding at her explanation about hiding the money, and smirking at the comment about being a 'helpless slave'. Oh, Rathu knew she wasn't.

"I hope it doesn't put too much of a strain on you, I have very little experience in making cloth, though I suppose I could use magic for that once I learn a bit more. Though I'm glad that I have done well enough to impress you." She said shutting the book to stand up.

"Wonderfully; Not only did I get the position, I got to meet the lad. Scared sort, gifted with the power of magic, but not control over it. They believe I know what I'm doing; I told the legatus I'm at the library conducting research right now.

I'll be spending plenty of time there at the estate too, watching the lad as I pretend to diagnose him. All progresses as planned."
He answered with smile still worn on his face.

She nodded, "that is wonderful. Though I recommend that you actually do some of what you're saying you're doing. The best way to lie is to make some of it true. It is far easier and far better to manipulate truth than fabricate it. But, tis merely a suggestion."

"Well, let's head back and get those shackles off then, no? And stop by the food market; A day of profit and productivity like this calls for a fine meal!" he concluded, happily moving about the stall to begin packing up for the walk back home.

"That sounds delightful, master." She added with a slight chuckle. She was enjoying her disguise more than she had anticipated. It was odd, she was still treated by everyone else as a slave, but the knowledge that she would soon be able to utterly destroy them made it almost amusing.

"Has Lord Cinder contacted you at all?" She asked as she was unshackled. "I cannot help but feel like he is here in his own way."

(Hey, sorry again, replies will be irregular and not too quick. Trying to get back into schooling and signed up for college and things are just messy. Sorry again.)

"I hope it doesn't put too much of a strain on you, I have very little experience in making cloth, though I suppose I could use magic for that once I learn a bit more. Though I'm glad that I have done well enough to impress you." She said shutting the book to stand up.

“Strain? It’s much better in the form you’ve converted it into; coin! If you can make sales like that your inexperience won’t matter. And yes, you’ve done splendid.” He added; the friendly tone was false and practised; but the sentiment was genuine. Rathu loved money; and could not help but hold appreciation for anyone who placed more of it into his greedy hands.

She nodded, "that is wonderful. Though I recommend that you actually do some of what you're saying you're doing. The best way to lie is to make some of it true. It is far easier and far better to manipulate truth than fabricate it. But, tis merely a suggestion."

“But of course. Though I must tell you I haven’t a clue. Aside from Illusory magic...well...” he explained before trailing off, gathering himself as if he felt stung by his own words. May as well be forthright, not like he should reasonably feel any shame in front of a former slave.

“Well I never finished my studies. I’ve no clue. But your input is appreciated and wise. I think the library can wait a moment longer, let’s get you home first. No reason for you to remain here any longer today. He added, all to happy to shift from the topic of his failure after he had made the admission. Granted, he wasn't trying particularly hard and expulsion was inevitable with his activities. Still, he thought he'd have another year at least before they threw him out.

"And he has not, but I feel he might be. We are doing his work; oh I hope we please him."

By now, most of their things had been gathered up; packing up for home was far easier than packing to head to market. After a detour to make the needed purchase from the food market, Rathu would leave Iris back at home with the food before heading out once more under the disguise of his magical mentor persona.

Black Cinders

• Sip
“Strain? It’s much better in the form you’ve converted it into; coin! If you can make sales like that your inexperience won’t matter. And yes, you’ve done splendid.” He added; the friendly tone was false and practised; but the sentiment was genuine. Rathu loved money; and could not help but hold appreciation for anyone who placed more of it into his greedy hands.

She beamed. "Why thank you. I'm glad to have been of some use."

“But of course. Though I must tell you I haven’t a clue. Aside from Illusory magic...well...” he explained before trailing off, gathering himself as if he felt stung by his own words. May as well be forthright, not like he should reasonably feel any shame in front of a former slave.

“Well I never finished my studies. I’ve no clue. But your input is appreciated and wise. I think the library can wait a moment longer, let’s get you home first. No reason for you to remain here any longer today. He added, all to happy to shift from the topic of his failure after he had made the admission. Granted, he wasn't trying particularly hard and expulsion was inevitable with his activities. Still, he thought he'd have another year at least before they threw him out.

She looked a little saddened by his story. "I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad to be useful to a fellow Disciple though, and I appreciate your kindness."

"And he has not, but I feel he might be. We are doing his work; oh I hope we please him."

By now, most of their things had been gathered up; packing up for home was far easier than packing to head to market. After a detour to make the needed purchase from the food market, Rathu would leave Iris back at home with the food before heading out once more under the disguise of his magical mentor persona.

"As do I." She said slightly worried.

She was lead through the town by the chain connected to her manacles until they came to his home. She was grateful to be free of the constricting steel.

His goal was unknown to her but she assumed he was headed for the library. So she went out behind his home in the least flammable place and practiced her warlock spells.

"Oh much so, Iris." He replied to her comment of being useful. The words were more of practicality than actual kindness - Cinder took well to her, and an ally at his side and under his master's power was a good thing to have when he was alone in the city. Disingenuous as it was, all this really just made the compliment more genuine in a way.

"No need for sympathy. Where there's a will there's a way. And we both know who's will leads it."
He added with a devious grin. With that the two seemed ready to head off, leading her through the streets as the slave she technically was, a needed and useful ruse to keep up. Making their way straight home, he set her free the moment he arrived.

He wouldn't spend long in the house, however. There was still stuff to do, and better to get it done now. He didn't relish the thought of settling in and then having to get back up again. And after briefly putting the wares away he spoke goodbye to Iris, and made his way directly to the library under his arcane tutor disguise.

"No need for sympathy. Where there's a will there's a way. And we both know who's will leads it." He added with a devious grin. With that the two seemed ready to head off, leading her through the streets as the slave she technically was, a needed and useful ruse to keep up. Making their way straight home, he set her free the moment he arrived.

“Many thanks.” She said, rubbing her wrists. “I’ll continue my studies in your absence.”

He wouldn't spend long in the house, however. There was still stuff to do, and better to get it done now. He didn't relish the thought of settling in and then having to get back up again. And after briefly putting the wares away he spoke goodbye to Iris, and made his way directly to the library under his arcane tutor disguise.

And so he left and she opened her book to study further.

• Yay
He made his way back through the city at a slow pace, befitting of the elderly scholar his illusory magic had disguised himself as. The travel didn’t take long, and he soon entered the city’s library, a building formerly foreign to the newly minted warlock. Despite having never set foot there before, the deceptive warlock made sure he moved with a sense of purpose. Yet, the very fact that he was completely new to the library attracted attention, and an observant assistant librarian called out to him.

“I can’t recall I’ve seen you before” came the inquisitive voice from the old man, about the same age that Rathu falsely appeared to be.

“Oh no, I’ve travelled from afar.” he replied. Rathu really didn’t want to stop and chat, but now that he had already attracted his attention he may as well pick his wisdom for direction that might help him in his task. Or at the very least, that might help him convincingly appear to be working on the task.
“I arrive seeking literature on empathy magic; it’s effect upon the world rather, not it’s practice.” he quickly added to his sentence, knowing well the viewpoint many held towards the magical discipline.

“Ah; yes that is a field of study we cannot help you learn. But we do have material that might prepare one for dealing with such magic.” came the reply from the librarian, who slowly rose from his seat at his desk to aid the disguised warlock in locating said material.

“That is all I need and desire.”

“Do you believe there is an empath in the city?” the librarian asked, voice tinged with a notable sense of worry.

“Now, I am a scholarly man; I make no assumptions. I simply believe it to be possibility and wish to rule it out.” Rathu replied, plainly. He did not want to raise any alarm during his feigned investigation.

“Wisely so. I certainly hope that’s not the case” he added as he lead Rathu over to the shelves that held literature on the matter. Rows of books were neatly organized in rows on the bookshelves before him.

“You do have a fair bit here, hrm. Have you anything relating empathy magic to pyromancy?"

“Oh, connections are merely hypothesized. But since you mention it, there is a book written about the very subject. If I recall, it’s at the library of Elbion...if it survived. If you’d like, I could place a request.

“Please. And thank you kindly for all your aid.” He replied with a smile, watching as the assistant turned and walked off. Rathu spent a couple of hours at the library gathering materials and appearing as if he were in study. By the time he made it back home, the sun had already just set.

• Popcorn