Open Chronicles A Swan's Song

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Clang. The moment the two swords clashed, Valyian seized the opportunity, kneeing his hulking opponent below the belt, leaving the giant man wheezing. Knowing that this split second of weakness was his opening for victory, Valyian finished off his enemy in a flurry of attacks, first delivering a crunching punch to the gut and backing away before rounding back and cutting off the man’s sword arm in one swift powerful swing. His scream pierced the dense forest, sending the dozy birds flying in all directions. ‘Shame’, Valyian thought, glancing over to the screaming man’s comrade, who was lying face down in a pool of his own blood. ‘That one went out a lot more gracefully’.

Alexander Rokin, with both of his bodyguards now incapacitated, looked like a quivering mouse, muttering incoherent things while looking back and forth between his two hirelings. Probably saying something like ‘I paid you, get up’. The boy couldn’t be older than 18, barely sporting hair on his face. He was dressed in a magenta robe with faint blue highlights in a way that screamed ‘spoiled noble’. A spoiled noble who thought it was amusing to murder a young girl and laugh while doing it.

Wiping his sword on his coat, Valyian took slow strides forward, relishing in the sense of power and drawing out the little lord’s misery. Finally he stood over the newly amputated bodyguard, who was clutching his arm and sobbing. His gray eyes stared into Alexander’s, letting him feel his presence, before saying,

“Alexander Rokin. There’s a bounty on your head for the crime you committed. I suggest you come with me quietly. I won’t harm you unless you do something stupid.” The quivering boy closed his eyes and took a deep breath, and reopened them looking calm and collected. Slowly, he raised his hands up, seemingly in surrender. ‘That easy?’ Valyian thought as he continued, “Wise choice. Now turn arou-“

“I’m not not letting you take me.” Alexander interrupted him, and took a step forward, hands still in the air. What in the world is wrong with this kid?

“You know my name. Good. Then you know my family. The most powerful family in Swan’s Song. My father is a powerful man. He will understand my motivations. Take me to him. He will reward you thrice of whatever those bounties offer. And you will forever have the gratitude of my family. We could help you get out of this miserable life. We could make you rich. Wouldn’t you like a taste of the finer things in life? Wouldn’t you-“

Valyian burst out laughing, more out of spite than amusement, and pointed his sword, Leaf, at Alexander. “Quite a moving speech, actually. Shame you don’t know a thing you’re talking about.” The redhead moved forward until is sword tip was touching his victim’s neck. “Let me clear things up for you. The most powerful family in Swan’s Song doesn’t mean anything to me. You could have all the mages of Elbion on your payroll and I wouldn’t care. And remember, kid, Swan’s Song is a pathetic little piss hamlet that isn’t even important enough to be on a map. So don’t you dare say what you can and can’t give me.” he said, emphasizing his last words by pushing in sword harder until it drew blood.

And at that moment, he instantly knew things were not as it seemed. “So be it.” said Alexander, in a raspy cold voice, an entirely different one from that of the foolish energetic boy that was talking to him moments prior. With a gesture of his hands, Alexander created a shockwave that sent Valyian flying into a tree.

“Foolish child, did you really think one such as I will bow to a lowly peasant like you?” said Alexander in the same raspy voice. He looked as though he was an entirely different person now. Or more likely, possessed. With lightning speed, he crossed the distance between them and kicked Valyian across the face. “Remember my name, fool. Remember my name, and tremble when you hear it. Deimos.”

Wracked with pain, Valyian reached for his sword, only to have it kicked away. He looked up to find the boy’s youthful face melting away, replaced by the face of a dirty old man that probably never baths. The concern wasn’t in his face, though. In his hands were a fireball the size of a big apple, swirling around between his palms. “Maybe I should melt away your face….” said Deimos/Alexander as he brought up the fireball to Valyian’s face. Before it touched his face, though, the old man was knocked backwards by an unseen assailant.

Valyian took the chance and quickly got to his feet, with Leaf in his hand, ready for combat. He turned to his unexpected ally with a quick nod and said, “Thanks. We’ll introduce ourselves later over a drink. We got bigger problems right now.” He jerked his head in the direction of Deimos, who was already standing up, his walking stick now transformed into a staff.

“Help me take down this bitch.”

Kolvar reached for the air around him, felt it swell through his arms. He focused entirely on the sensation of the wind gathering behind him and centered it on the fire-wielding old man, sending him flying backwards and away from the man who was practically pinned to the tree Kolvar stood behind. He watched the man take up his sword and jump to his feet. Kolvar was surprised his lacking magical abilities were able to produce a spell good enough to save the man.

The man promised a drink, and that was all Kolvar needed to help take the old man down. He allowed the mysterious man a few swings at their target while he reached for his crossbow and loaded a single arrow from the thin quiver on his thigh. The elf waited for the man to be batted away by the wizard and let the arrow fly, providing a light boost from the wind he attempted to conjure up.

The arrow nicked the old man in the shoulder, barely missing its mark, but it was enough to turn his attention to Kolvar. The elf cursed and pulled his favorite knife from its sheath. The wizard produced another ball of fire and flung it toward him. Kolvar barely dodged it, rolling to the side and quickly shuffling behind the old man. He swung around in a graceful turn and landed a kick the wizard's back, forcing him onto the ground. Kolvar lunged at the man, bringing his knife above his head.

Before he could bring the knife down onto the old man, a gust of wind hit him in the stomach, flinging him backward until his back met a tree. Kolvar heard the cracking of his ribs as he fell to the ground and let out a moan of pain. He tried to reach for his knife, which had fallen a few feet away from the tree, but the old man had begun to approach him. Instead, he unsheathed his shortsword and tried to prop himself up with it in an attempt to stand. The wizard quickly flung the sword from his grip, causing Kolvar to fall back to the ground. He felt one of the pins in his hair fall out, revealing his long, pointed ear. He quickly tried to adjust his hair so that it was covering his elvish identity, but the wizard had reached him first and pointed his staff to his throat.

Kolvar looked around as the old man said something to him, something he didn't quite hear, while he searched for his mysterious companion. The wizard pushed his staff closer to Kolvar's throat and mumbled a few magical words.

A spell.

The tip of the staff began to glow as Kolvar's gaze met his companion's from across the field.