Private Tales A Storm in Porttown

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
It was a cold and windy day at the pier, the winds howling and growling like a hungry pack of dogs as the sea slapped against the wooden boards that build up the boardwalk. Dark clouds roared to warn of rain as most of the stores lay empty and dormant as they hid from the weather. An Alehouse was opened up in the corner seemingly alive in this graveyard of buildings. Hogan's Quartpot was the name written on the swinging sign that was slapped about from the wind, as the inside of the building was empty save for a few sailing folk. Most of them were fishermen that ended their work due to the tossing and turning of the water. Hogan MacTavish II was standing behind the bar, on a soft stepstool so that he could look at eye level to the customers. He was a rotund dwarf, covered in gentle wrinkles and hair as black as coal, with bright white streaks softly above his ears, like a badger. His beard was as white as snow, his skin a soft dark slate color. His eyes shone a blue like the sea, and he wore his usual smile as he cleaned out a tankard.

Save the harsh wind that blew throughout the town, it was quiet. Unsettlingly so. There were no voices, no chatter, no laughter of children or gossiping maids. It was a far cry from what Justinian was used to. The constant babble of city life and liveliness of busy settlements had no place here at this time. He could smell the faint signs of a coming rain, past the salt of the waters and the strong scent of fish barrels and nets. Having no wish to be caught out in the storm, Justin quickened his pace, searching for a hideout, and was relieved to see the lights flickering within what looked to be a squat Alehouse – Hogan’s Quartpot.

It didn’t look like much, here in a isolated port town, but Justinian was used to not much. If anything, he preferred it. Cautiously, he pushed open the door, which swung open easily, and stepped inside. He drew his cape tight about him as it nearly caught in the entrance and glanced around uneasily at the few sailors who drank and either guffawed or sulked at different tables. They looked up curiously at the knight, taking his sheathed sword and knife, at the light armor, but most of all at the masterfully crafted, gilded helm he removed and held under one arm.

Justinian didn’t want to be noticed even this much, however. With quiet steps he made his way to the bar, giving a nervous smile for a greeting to the round dwarf working there, whose ocean-blue eyes were nearly a match for his own, ice-blue gaze.

“Any specials today, barkeep?” Justinian asked as he seated himself.

He watched the stranger make his way in as he eyed them carefully as they made their way to their seat. But he was the only one that seemed to have a friendly gaze.

"Aye. We've god clam chowder tonight, just got done. Caught today." He replied, his voice deep and somewhat coarse like sandstone.

Hogan made his way over quietly as he would smile towards them, standing next to them. He took out a small notepad of sorts as he prepared a to take whatever order that he wanted. He was much, much shorter than the other and was quite rotund. He looked to be a jolly sort.

"What'll it be, hmm?" He would look up to them, straightening his hood so he'd be more comfortable.

The dwarf seemed to be in a shining mood, a fresh respite from the relative gloom of the town. Humorously, Justinian thought the dwarf looked as if someone had stepped on him a long time ago – as round as he was short. Not overly tall himself, Justinian still found himself looking down at the barkeep from his stool.

Justinian nodded to himself as the sailors and others of their ilk made their orders of drinks and food, most of it standard fare and not too pricey. The port was not rich in wealth or attractive to tourists, but it did not lack in business or imported trade. Justin listened to the orders before him, paying attention to what other men wanted. One asked for a rather fancy wine – another, an exorbitantly priced ale. Justinian look up at the wall of drinks behind the counter, and made his choice as the barkeep turned to him.

“I would like the clam chowder, please,” he said politely. Manners were important. “And… the ale there, Seven Hills. Thank you.” It was a popular barley wine, imported from Elbion. It was known to be tasty enough, but not a very strong spirit – basically, a drink for those with lighter palates. It was a fact that seemed amusing to the sailors nearby. Ribs were nudged by elbows and a few winks made, which Justinian tried to pay not too much attention to.

Justinian rested his own arms on the counter as he watched the rotund dwarf go about his business. “Been busy?” he asked. “Any interesting gossip? I’ve come a long way and…" Everything’s a shithole. “Well, things aren’t so peaceful as they could be.”

He nodded as he would write it down, the short dwarf having to pull a small ladder from under the bar to reach the bottle that hey wanted as he slipped down the ladder. He was surprisingly swift for a man of his size and stature as he snapped up a glass with his paw and dumped the liquid into the glass. "Elbion brew, eh? They do make some lovely wine, and this one's a wonderful vintage."

He slipped to the back for a moment or more so that the polite Human could enjoy a few sips if they so deemed so from the glass. Soon he returned with a steaming bowl of chowder in a smooth, stone bowl. It came with a soft spoon and a couple of crackers.

"We've been slow as of late, fishin's doing well but just not that many visitors have been about, and if we do have them they're on their way to a nicer port." He rubbed his beard, pondering about the gossip question. "Other than that wererat infestation that was cleared out recently, nothing really."

"But for the most part, you chose a quiet place to stay. Folk here are a friendly sort." He smiled warmly.

Justinian took a judicious sip of the wine, savoring the strong taste. The floral notes and hint of ripe pears was refreshing, and the underlying chocolate tones relaxing. He set the glass down with a sigh of contentment as the bowl of chowder slid before him. It steamed and smelled delicious. After stirring in a few shards of crackers to thicken the creamy broth, Justin tasted it and smiled at the hot and smooth taste of a good meal. It had been a long time since he had something hot and fresh; the roads of his most recent travels had been blessed only with hard tack and cheese.

He tilted his head at the mention of a wererat infestation, though in such a place so far away from true military support, it wasn’t a surprise to hear of such a thing. Ugly, crafty creatures, the shapechangers preferred the darker, slimier parts of civilization. Justinian was glad someone had troubled themselves to put the filth down.

Outside, the wind began to howl more fiercely than before as rain began to fall, a soft patter before turning into a swift, cold curtain of huge tears. The door to tavern opened two more times, letting in a few who had gotten caught in the sudden downpour. Justinian counted himself lucky as the newcomers sat down grumpily, asking for anything and everything hot and comforting.

“Hogan!” one of them yelled. “Hot spiced wine with that gruel you call chowder.”

“It’s really good,” Justinian smiled. “Wager there’s nothing else like it.” He ate quietly, his table manners impeccable with no slurps or spillage. Then, “I’m not staying long,” Justinian confessed at the dwarf’s last comment. “I’m looking for work, and it seems this place doesn’t really need my help. But…” he glanced towards a window, mottled with racing raindrops. “I don’t think I’m leaving in that. Do you have any rooms available?”

Hogan smiled warmly as the soup was enjoyed as he would take off his hood to reveal his locks with the white stripes on the side, beginning to scoop up another glass and cleaning it off. He shuffled his beard slightly so none of it would drop into the glass. He would quickly slump into the back to get the rude one his soup as he waited afterwards to give them the meal and drink at the same time.

"No trouble tonight I'm hoping, Malone?" He gruffly stated as he brought food and drink for the rest of the sailors.

He then slid back over to Justinian, smiling as he would nod some. "Aye, I've some rooms upstairs on the second story." He softly would wink as he took out a logbook and face away from them as he blew a soft layer of dust off of it, before holding it out. "Only a silver for a night, and ye got to sign in before I give you your room key. Mayor started doing it after the wererat incident and whatnot."

"Help hmm. . I need to stretch my legs and do a bit of hunting, and I think the baker's been having some trouble. Somethin' about a fish creature eatin' all his food."

From the look of old logbook, covered in dust and well-worn, it was reasonable to assume visitors were rare. Opening the records revealed this to be true; there were very few names, and it did not take long to find a blank spot to write a name. Procuring a pen secured beneath his tunic, Justinian wrote the date and his name with admirable penmanship. Ashvyr Justinian.

He was drawing up coin some coin when something the dwarf said caught his attention.

“Do you hunt yourself?” Justinian smiled, impressed at the implication. The dwarf, with his rotund shape and kind manner, didn’t look like a warrior. But looks were often deceiving, he’d learned, and dwarves were often known for being a formidable race.

A fish creature. That was interesting. Justinian laid two polished silvers on the counter as fee and a tip. “Thinking of going after this fish creature yourself?” he chuckled. “I don’t doubt your abilities… Hogan, was it? But don’t you think having some company would be wise?”

He slid the logbook back to the dwarf, finishing the soup with a last draw of the creamy broth. He felt warm, comfortable, and now alert. “Tell me more about this fish creature. Does it appear to be large? What has it been eating, specifically? If it is intelligent or crafty, we may need to be careful,” Justinian added.

He watched the visitor dig through the book before finding and signing the book as he would smile and nab the silver coin, before he would procure a key for him, sliding to them at the table.

"Aye, the shore and the woods near the town have plenty o' beasties." He furrowed his brow some, as he though about the beast. "I've been huntin' the bastard for a while and last time I crossed path's with it I lost me pet, me poor skubbles. . "

He frowned thinking about it, thinking about it. "It's a mighty blue-ish green creature, large 'n crafty. It's got teeth like daggers and a poisonous bite. I have only seen glimpses of it, but the baker keeps claiming it's some sort of troll."

"But that's just crazy, Y'know? I don't think a troll would live this close to the coast, especially a sea troll."

He nodded quietly as his face softened up as his green eyes twinkled once again as he would look up to the Justinian once again with a smile, cocking his head to the side. "Are you thinking about going after it or somethin'?"