Private Tales A Greedy Feast

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Smiling One

Heartbreaker and Life Taker
Banned
Character Biography
Link
"Welcome to Kal Palthras!"

The Dwarven Mountain Guide: Ruvol flashed a smile to the cold and road weary group leading them to the gates of the famed Dwarven City. Willis snorted clinging tightly to his brown tattered leather jacket he along with traveling merchants and families have been traversing the dangerous mountain path for about a fortnight. It wasn't even winter and already the group endured cold winds, an avalanche, and an encounter with a wounded Cyclops whom Ruvol surmised that he has probably retreated from a battle against the Stone Giants who are very common on this mountain. Thankfully the Cyclops ignored them and lumbered to unknown territory.

The group lost a man to hyperthermia, a woman was crushed by one of the huge boulders by the avalanche and yesterday, some old man strayed away from the group (despite Ruvol's insistence to stick together) and was torn apart by a Bvette: A Land Shark who ambushes their prey by burying themselves underground and leaping at them when their guard is down. Willis managed to kill the beast though he took a deep scratch on the leg, however, the lower half of the old man's body was ripped apart by the Bvette's massive jaw and the young man had to mercy kill him.

The old asshole was stupid and stubborn anyway, he constantly complained about long it took to get to Kal Palthras claiming that the inhabitants specifically the nobles had access to tunnels which bypassed all of the dangers to getting to the place. It was probably true, but the old man came across as whiny when he said it so Willis tuned him out. Still, despite the danger, Willis was thankful that Ruvol guided them It could've been much worse for the group. Ruvol was always smiling and was passionate about helping people. During the campfires, he would tell stories about the glory of the Dwarven Town and how rich and diverse it was.

Willis sighed, they sounded like something out of fairy tale. People always love to brag about their homeland yet peel off the glamorous stuff and all you see is a pile of shit. Willis expected Kal Palthras to be not so different than the other cities he's been the only reason why he endured the dangerous journey was that he had a sense of adventure and excitement desiring to at least explore the place. That was the few things Willis held on as a child: A desire to explore. The group approached the narrow gate, pictures of the Dwarven language were carved onto the stone. Willis held his breath they were entering unknown territory.

There was no place she was unwilling to go. No city was too obscure, no mountain too high, no plain too vast. She would continue scouring every land that she could, unwilling to believe that the pulls at her heart were mere ghost pains, until it killed her.

Whispers had spread from the surface dwellers down to the even the underground, of a woman who had walked into Kal Palthras entirely on her own and without party nor guide. Such a feat kept commonfolk at bay, whilst guards eyed her warily, the grips upon their weapons tightening whenever she was near. Yet the elven maiden gave no trouble. She was dressed plainly, without any reason upon view for others to fear her, and so they had grown skeptical.

A twisted story. It was impossible for one to traverse the peril that was the pathway to Kal Palthras without aide. To avoid the giants and cyclops waring, the dire frost that her cloak did not seem thick enough to harbor her against, nor any of the other disasters that struck so many on their way to the dwarven city before her.

A hand clutched tightly at her chest, her shadowed face contorted in a scowl at the emptiness that she continued to feel. A sigh passed her rosen lips, her callused fingers sweeping her auburn waves away from her face, and the hood of the cloak with it. The pierce of mercuric eyes came into view, her cheeks rosy from heat in the cold, frosty clouds following every breath that escaped her. She made way towards a tavern in hopes it would carry something she would be familiar with eating.

Ruvol guzzled the last of his water twisting his waterskin trying to drink the last drops. Some of the water hit his black scraggly beard and turned to the group. "We've lost good folk on the way," Ruvol said his blue eyes watering a bit "If there's anyone who wants to honor their kin please follow the guard to the morgue the rest of you enjoy Kal Palthras! We are happy to receive you."

From the corner of Wills' eye, Dwarven crossbowmen cladded with medium Dwarven armor were patrolling on the walkway armed with an unusual looking Crossbows. They looked bigger and than your normal crossbow and appeared to be holding more crossbow bolts. A horn was then heard from the distance prompting the crows who were sitting on the gates to fly away. Willis turned to see the large double stone doors beginning to open. Ruvol did say that the horn blowing would indicate people entering Kal Palthras.

As the door slowly opened, Willis could see eager friends and family standing behind a line Dwarven Warriors and two greeters. He was about to go ahead and enter the city until a woman brushed past him. Willis frowned, this girl wasn't part of the trek to Kal Palthras. Who was she? "Excuse me," Willis said touching the girl's shoulder. "Are you part of the group that's headed for Kal Palthras?"

The touch of an unknown hand brought footfalls so soft they made no sound to a halt. It was simple from that brief contact that it was not a threatening touch, thus a delicate chin cocked faintly as effervescent eyes fell onto the brown of his own. They were oddly without emotion, apathetic and stony, though a faint warmth glow from within them. Without answering she looked past him briefly at the others who were waiting to enter, the chilled winds tussling her short locks, allowing view of the framing etchings that outlined her features.

“...” She remained silent for moments longer, the pierce of her eyes from beneath the ebony lashes returning to him once more. She made sure to shift her feminine form, facing him yet also placing her feet so that she was just out of reach. “I did not come with a group.. However I am here to enter this city. I believe that is what everyone is here for..” Her words were slow and soft, as if she had not spoken to another person for quite some time.

The Elf stared at Willis blankly for what felt like an eternity. She had possessed shifting eyes, a slender body, and auburn hair that barely reached past her shoulders. She also had somewhat tan skin, there was something off about this woman Willis couldn't figure out what but there was a sadness in her eyes, a sense of helplessness and defeat. Those eyes reminded Willis of the day his mother abandoned him. Willis felt a bit awkward but he forced a smile as the young woman spoke.

“I did not come with a group.. However, I am here to enter this city. I believe that is what everyone is here for..” The woman's voice was soft and slow barely a whisper.

A couple of traveling merchants bumped into Willis eagerly desiring to go into the city. Willis still maintained his warm smile before speaking. "You actually survived the avalanches and all that wildlife by yourself?" Willis asked bemused, Ruvol did say that there was a 1 in 250 chance that a person traveling on the Southern Hills alone would make it to Kal Palthras though he was probably propping the Moutain Guides up.

"Name's Willis Reede," he said making his way to the gate. "Pretty impressive feat coming here without a scratch."

She finally took her time to really view the man that had approached her. His skin was pure chocolate, the perfect contrast against the frosty climate that surrounded them. The curls that framed his crest were cropped short, naturally kinking onyx. He was tall and broad, standing almost an entire foot over her, and held himself as such. He held himself with confidence that came from ability, and perhaps a little more.

His features were strong with a chiseled jaw and bold brows that allowed him to express his emotions adequately, with a dark goatee that framed plump lips. He was handsome, and he knew it. Many were the ladies wooed, yet none of this seemed to have an effect on the wood elf. She neither seemed attracted nor disgusted, but entirely impartial.

He was quick to offer her a smile, one that seemed to come from pity. There had been a time when Ayla would not have been able to pick up on the intricacies of reading another’s body language. Her childhood had been entirely defect of other humanoid life, and had left her socially unaware. The years, and blight of others, had wizened her.

Her gaze drifted once more at the mention of her survival, though she did not look towards the pass where all others had come, rather she peered upwards, beyond the mountains and into the skies.

“There are other ways of safe travel here. Though the giants... Hm.” She muttered. Her words were like her movements, where she continued to take the most efficient motion in order to avoid any of the other eager travelers from bumping into her, so too did she only offer the slightest response necessary.

“I am Ayla.”

“I am Ayla.”

"Nice to meet you Ayla," Willis said. "Gotta teach how to survive the hellhole known as the Southern Hills one day. I can survive Fiends from other dimensions but at the of the day, Mother Nature always wins out." Survival of the fittest that seemed to be mother nature's mantra. Willis learned that during his brief tenure at the Monster Hunter Academy referring to the reason why the bigger and stronger monsters tend to survive.

Willis arrived at the gate and briefly looked at the families exchanging hugs and kisses with the group. Some people went with a Dwarven Warrior to the morgue while some Merchants made a beeline to the entrance of gate that leads to the nobility of Kal Palthras. A balding old Dwarf stepped in front of Willis and Ayla he was wearing what appeared to be mithril chainmail with an red iron ax perched behind his back. "Welcome lad and laddie!" He yelled enthusiastically with his arms stretched out as though he wanted to hug the two of them. "The name is Yolton, make yerselves comfortable! Kal Palthras is a humble place well at least Outtrumm Drukat is."

"First we need to expect your weapons," Another Dwarf walked beside Yolton. He was younger and he wore a fur-trimmed red gown over a padded redshirt along with a huge hat.

Willis sighed and handed over his items to the Dwarves. "What is Outturumm Drukat?" He said raising an eyebrow. "Aye it's the outside area!" Yolton said pacing back and forth. "Where all surface dwarves and other races live and work the mines and farmland."

"The nobility tend to keep to themselves," the red headed Dwarf said examining Willis' items. "They barely see us unless we have to pay taxes and even then it's a representative."

There were lands where her name was sung in praises, towns that had erected statues, entire cities that were built for her purpose. This was not one of them. She did not expect her name to bring tears of joy here, nor did she care for it to. Fame had never been her reasoning for completing the feats that she had. To help those that suffered. Nor was it the reason that she continued to travel mercilessly, without pause. Without breath. It meant nothing to her.

Her reasonings were not ones she had spoken of in a long while. Not in detail. She did not care who knew of her past, but she also did not want to dredge up the feelings that constantly pestered in the shadows of her mind by speaking it aloud.

“Mother Nature always wins out.” He said that with such assurance. A proven fact. Mother nature had failed to take Ayla, and Death had one hand on her shoulder, breathing his icy breath down her neck, awaiting the day soon when he would be able to carry her to his kingdom as she was promised. But it would not be Nature who took her.

“Hm.” Was all she had to offer as a response.

The dwarf welcomed them heartily, encouraging the duo to provide him with their arms before entering the city. Ayla grasped at the edges of her cloak, lifting it out wide to reveal only her dress from within. She had no weapons.

She barely listened to the short creature speak of his home. A frown settled upon her lips. Something.. Someone in this city felt wrong.

"Right," Willis said receiving his weapons and bag from the red-headed Dwarf. "I'm a monster slayer and a mercenary I was wondering if there's any work to be found."

"Hmmmm," Yolton stroked his long brown beard before turning to the redhead. "Zyvik," he said. "You're more versed in the town's ills than me explain to the lad what befalls us."

"Aye," Zyvik said adjusting his hat. "We've had a particularly nasty plague of the Gelatinous Cubes. An estimated 10 poor souls lost their lives last week."

"Gelatinous Cubes....." Willis crossed his arms in thought. "I've seen them before, ooze that consumes dirt and crime growing at an astronomical pace to the point where it desires to consume living beings."

"You know your monsters lad," Yolton said while Zyvik continued. "Our elite warriors: The Leshon Khuzi managed to get rid of them all before they managed to spread. However, the Leaky Spoon one of our main taverns was hit hard three days ago. Apparently, a Gelatinous Cube managed to consume everything inside it."

Willis stood up straighter frowning at the Dwarf. "That sounds just like the monster......" he muttered.

"The Leshon Khuzi tried to get the beast," Zyvik continued. "But it was gone without a trace."

Willis raised an eyebrow. "That does not sound like a Gelatinous Cube," he said. "Normally they stick around the areas their ransacking."

"The Leshon Khuzi are offering a reward to those who slay the thing," Zyvik explained.

"I'll do it."

"Wonderful!" Yolton said clapping his hands. "I sure hope you'll get rid of this thread soon! The Goat's Delight's ale taste like Dog Piss!"

Willis rolled his eyes in response. "Where can I find the Leaky Spoon," he asked.

"To the right past the Town Square," Zyvik replied. "You'll find the owner: Tholn along with the Leshon Khuzi investigating the area."

"Thanks," Willis said before turning to Ayla. "So Ayla," he said smiling sheepishly. "I guess this is where we go our separate ways."

There was more to the elf’s intuition than just experience. Within her veins coarsed an ancient power held only by her and her alone. So powerful it would continue on even after her body was rotten and decaying wherever it found its final place. It had a life its own that sought retribution and justice. Ayla was merely a vessel.

The topic turned to monsters and caught Ayla’s attention, her eyes moved from looking around the city to being directed only at the dwarf speaking of the Gelatinous Cube. She listened without word, allowing Willis to continue getting all the information needed.

Afterward she looked above them all, squinting faintly to scout as much of the city as was in her view before she walked away.

“I am going to the Leaky Spoon. If you are going there as well it would not impede me for us to walk together.” She spoke, but did not pause. It was obvious that relationship building was not at all a priority for her.

• Yay
Reactions: Smiling One
“I am going to the Leaky Spoon. If you are going there as well it would not impede me for us to walk together.” Ayla responded without pausing.

Willis shrugged not expecting Ayla to be interested in the contract. "Uh sure," he said beginning to walk beside her. "Didn't expect you to be a monster slayer."

Ayla didn't present any weapons or even supplies for that matter during the inspection. Was she a mage? That was one possibility that Willis thought up how else was she able to survive the journey without any weaponry or supplies? "So how long have you've been a monster slayer?" Willis asked walking past exhausted Dwarven and Human miners who were on their way home. "Or you're just looking to get some coin?"

Was this monster the source of the pull that she felt within her? It had been so long since she had felt whole, had she forgotten the difference between her duty and her spirit? It was possible, so many years had she been deficient and fractured, it had become her normal.

“So how long have you been a monster slayer?”

These words caused her forward-only stare to break back towards him. Many were the names and titles that had accompanied her from land to land. She never used any of them as her own, though never minded when others would use them.

“Since before my birth.” She stated. She was the Pure and the Pure was her. No longer did she consider her life separate from the power harbored within, as it was entwined with her very soul, and when her body decayed, she would be reborn anew, continuing the fight against all that was dark in the world.

• Yay
“Since before my birth.”

Willis stopped in his tracks staring at Ayla confused. "You were a monster hunter before you were born?" Willis said trying to understand if he heard correctly. Willis was aware that there were men and women were raised since birth to become a monster slayer or knight so it wasn't too far-fetched.

"What do you mean since before you were born?" Willis said to the Elf as he saw the Leaky Spoon at the distance. "Did your parents decide that you were to be a monster slayer?"

The wood elf didn’t care for secrets, as she had never truly understood their purpose, and had been hurt from others keeping them. Any questions directed her way were always answered with the utmost of honesty.

The details of her birthright were intricate, which was why she always gave simple answers to such questions first, in case the listener did not really care to go into those details. Though Willis did care. She shook her head at his assumptions, roughened digits rising to tuck a lock of auburn behind an elongated ear.

“My parents chose nothing. They died when this life was young. I have been a hunter since the beginning. When light and shadow were all that reigned, and created their armies. This form you see, Ayla, was not my first. And I have been fighting since before this life came to be.”

She spoke almost as if in riddle, a symptom created from having multiple lifetimes of memories within her mind. The war of memories and personalities having melded into someone that was not able to communicate quite clearly anymore.

• Yay
“My parents chose nothing. They died when this life was young. I have been a hunter since the beginning. When light and shadow were all that reigned, and created their armies. This form you see, Ayla, was not my first. And I have been fighting since before this life came to be.”

What Alya said made no sense to Willis, but he did extrapolate some possible hidden meanings. Ayla was a girl who was alone and afraid like he was as a child. There was a part of her that just gave up, Willis did understand as he too was on the verge of giving up when he was a child. "I think I understand Ayla," Willis said. "I really do."

The two of them approached the Leaky Spoon where a Dwarf wearing black metal armor approached them. "Halt!" he said. "There's been an outbreak of the Gellantous Cube here. If you want to quench your thirst, go to the Goat's Delight."

"That's what we're for," Willis said. "We're Monster Slayers here about the contract for your slimy friend,"

"I don't remember putting out on contract for this," The Dwarf said. "In any case perhaps a monster slayer could be of some use If you get rid of the beast, I can give you some coin. Go talk to Thobin near the entrance."

Willis stared at Ayla. "Let's go then," he said heading for the Leaky Spoon.

The response Willis offered to Ayla’s words were only met with a stare. Disbelieving and uncaring. If he had meant to ease her woes it had failed. The depths of her emotions were not something that she believed a person of a single life could understand. Nor the hardships that both lives had faced.

They approached their destination and were met by an armored local. She faltered only briefly as mostly a sign of respect for the dwarves’ authority, but entered before he had explicitly given permission. She swept into the Leaky Spoon, pausing abruptly as soon as she entered. A scowl settled upon her features, irises beginning to alter. Their pale mirror slowly morphed into the purest gold, striking and gilded.

All that was monstrous and evil left a trail, even if it was visible to the eye. Following and dispelling of these creatures was her soul purpose, thus that path was easily interpreted by her, allowing her to glean what others could not.

• Yay
Thobin paced around in a panic talking to the Dwarven soldier who tried to calm him down. "The Gelatnious Cube is still in there," the soldier said. "We can't let you in until we take of it."

"Don't you get it!" Thobin growled. "I need to get back to my inn to at least retrieve my family Ax! That's been with my family for generations! If that damned Jelly Beast consumes it then the ghosts of my fathers will haunt me for the rest of my life."

"I understand," The soldier said in the most dispassionate voice possible. "But we can't risk any more deaths than we already have."

Thobin put his hands up in frustration as Willis and Ayla approached the bald Dwarf, somewhat portly Dwarf. "You seem to in fine spirits," Willis said.

"I'm not in the mood human," Thobin said. "My inn is getting consumed by an overgrown jelly, I'm losing business to the Goat's Delight and now I'm going to lose my family heirloom. My business and my pride all taken at once, how can a Dwarf cope with all this?"

"By having two monster hunters taking care of it," Willis smirked. "How did this occur?"

Thobin's eyes raised full of hope and vigor. "I knew Zyvik will pull through!" he said. "Well for the past week, since the Cube epidemic, I've made sure that my tavern remained spotless. Those monsters are attracted to any grime or dirt. It wasn't easy but I always cleaned every inch of my tavern three times in a row. One day I wake up and find that my tavern has been ransacked with only a traces of the Gelatinous Cube remaining."

Willis frowned. "We'll check it out," he said.

"Please do but there's another thing I want you to do," Thobin pleaded. "Find my family Ax I can rebuild The Leaky Spoon, I can't do the same with my family heirloom. Bring it back and I'll pay you extra."

Willis shrugged. "Can't make any promises," he said opening the door. "But we'll look for it."

The wood elf had not even paused to speak to Thobin, instead entering of her own will, without fear. Light steps carried worn leather boots around the disheveled room, her head cocking faintly to the side as she appeared to inspect something unseen.

“A Gelatinous Cube..?” She murmured curiously to herself, the frown still prudent on her lips.

• Yay