Completed A Friend In Need

It's not a question of mettle before a task but an honest inventory Captain. I am not magically acquainted. Surely humility is a desirable trait in knighthood,” Dal replied swiftly, as if providing the correct wheel in troop manoeuvrer with proper precision, as if slotting woodwork together by joists.

That said, I wish to master all I can. I start with what I know. Soldiering is discipline, fighting is endurance, and magic, magic can tip the balance. The way I see it, it's a weapon I have yet to train with. A shield not raised that might guard a life beyond my own. In such an armory, I shall attempt to pick it up. It is not a question of mettle. It's a question of proper learning. I know how to condition the body, the mind to fight, the will to stand up to the base instinct of fear. But I know not of the muscles to command a spell. And I know not if the mysterious arcane might lend itself to me, let alone pay attention to my clutchings.”

He watched attentively at the spell prepared and it built questions that would be asked and pondered in his first lessons on the arcane.

And I'm not retiring from the field, no matter the honours you have about it. I want to stand on the field and do what I do best, for as long as I can. I'm none of those other roles you describe. I'm a warrior. I'll deal with whatever life is after that fact is rendered impossible. Thanks to healing such as this.”

Helena

For all her gifts in magick, and combat prowess, Helena had much to learn in the way of teaching.

Dal replied with another string of worries, another string of doubts and she could not hide the twitch of irritation that set her brow to quiver, or the push and pull at the corners of her face. Her nose scrunched and she breathed heavier.

Her heart quickened.

"Did anyone speak of retiring you from the field, Squire?" she asked, her words firm, showed the edge of teeth but did not bight. Her eyes were still closed and she was still upon the earth. Back straight, neck long, her core centered.

A hot huff left her nose, and she drew in another river cooled breath. "You asked about liability. Born from a potential lack of magick," a breath, slow and steady. "But I wonder what vulnerabilities your idea on knighthood might bring," she said plainly, tone even, and she opened her eyes and stared at the squire. Looked to the former mercenary so trained.

"We are not other knights, Dal," she let the words linger. Let them sink in. "You insult us, and more so myself as your captain, to suggest that we would send you afield in a condition that would be a liability. To yourself, or those your strength is meant to aid." Her gaze hardened. "It even sounds as if there is opposition to possible assignments, duties we ask not just of our squires, but even of sworn knights that would be part of your training." she studied him. "Should we need you as a plowman, are you so bold to say you will not accept?" She arched a brow, and watched him carefully. "Perhaps your pride helped you dig through trenches you found your sword sold to, but, you are hear now, before the Knights of Anathaeum, on the path of the Squire, to see if you are worthy of our vows." she smirked at the man. "But go on, please, tell me what you will and will not do, and when you will do what, I find it rather amusing,"

Dal

Last edited:
  • Wonder
Reactions: Lysanthir of Arapat
"You know, I've been called a fucking idiot for misunderstanding magic, by a comrade, on the field. I'd like to avoid that sorry and correct at the time statement from being uttered by this band. And plough the land? Trained by doing such a thing in armour,” Dal said flatly.

“And,” Dal said simply and with blunted expression, “we are all relieved in the field by death, surely.”

Helena

Helena huffed, shook her head, and unfolded herself as she stood up. "Death is a certainty, Dal, there is no doubt of that. But the field upon which it finds you makes no difference to it."

Her own intention in coming here was to meet with a new recruit. One she had known to be critically wounded. Closer to death than most ever came. She remembered her own brush with near death. The feeling of her own life burned down so close to the end of its wick. She had accepted it. The end. Horrifying as she had found it, even with her willingness to turn herself to nothing in hopes of putting to rest a nightmare made flesh. How her hands could still feel those splitting flames that ate at her. Yet she lived. Saved by the magicks of a greater soul.

"I wonder," she said as she straightened up and shook off what blades of grass and dirt clung to her. "If I were a grey-bearded man with a long scar run down my face, would you hear my words more clearly?" she looked down at him and observed him in silence for a long moment. "Or is it just your own instincts, still harrowed by the shock of near death rattling in your mind," he was not ready for any lesson she was prepared to teach him. "It seems you have much of your own past to think on before you can hear the words present before you," she bowed to the man. "Till we meet again, Squire Dal," and made away.

Dal

Dal watched for a few moments as the Captain departed, his eyes neutral and passive. He flexed his fingers from open palm to fist, back to open palm to see if the healing had taken hold. No pain lashed out in return.

Replacing his hand to his side, he gave no hint of his opinion. In truth, he was as stone in his emotion. To receive such feedback from such a high ranking official, one might recoil in confidence.

Not Dal.

He had wagered his professional career on this lot. To serve with the best. He had voiced his opinion that he wished to become more than he was in ability with magic. Doors would open when the time was right to learn such a thing. The Captain's words would not permeate until later, along with emotion on Dal's part. Dal would later that night turn to sleep and consideration of the day's deeds. He would stare into the dark and frown in remembrance of this exchange, thinking of the times that the grey haired had instructed him. Thinking that had been rare and infrequent amongst humans or orc. And the typical sensation of feeling misunderstood would come about, and he would chuckle to dismiss it as he always did. Superiors often misunderstood his disposition.

No bootlick am I. I serve. I do my job. And I'll be sent into the field sooner or later. It's up to me to be ready. It's up to me not to die out there. Or let my comrades down. So, I best learn. Despite the faith that I'll be committed to the field when I'm ready for it. I decide my state of readiness and competancy. Always have. I apply myself to a task of improvement and I improve.

For now, in this moment by the river, he had no such rebuke for her words presently, no retort that conspired to present itself at a later point. Not even to himself. Superior officers were exactly that. Superior.

But, Dal thought in this moment, that each one faced the challenge of command in their own way.

She barely knows me.

With mute expression he gathered his gear and looked to the river.

Will soon enough by my deeds in my appointed task. Plough the fields.

He gave a small harrumph.

I'll do as instructed. But if I am not to be squandered, I'll be placed with steel in hand to kill.

Dal picked up the chainmail and shook it in his hand to hear the sound. It was a satisfying sound to the warrior.

Learned something about her though.

He slung the chainmail upon his shoulder and rubbed his jaw.

Not sure what though.

Shaking his head he dismissed the thought.

There was training to do. Acclimatisation. Preparation. The healing was complete. A new chapter had begun proper, and Dal, once mercenary by trade, had become squire, a title that he found to be unusual to be hearing. Even as the Captain chastised him, she had given him the respect of his new found title and position.

There's dignity in that.

He pursed his lips and thought better of the cloying sentiment. Thought of the nobles he'd worked for and against.

They had dignity in jewels and titles. Doesn't stop them dying on the field.

The squire rolled his shoulders and thought to come back to the river tomorrow for more physical conditioning.

Almost fucking died trying to help knights from an ambush on my own. If I am to survive and thrive, I must make better myself, and better to be serving with comrades who might serve with me. Knights who use magic.

He had a curious thought and laughed to himself darkly at it.

The thought was thus.

I wonder if Heike could best this Helena in a fight?

He had a quiet smile on his face as he considered the prospect of the two gold adorned warriors fighting on some field for honour and glory. He had no idea as to Helena's arcane power, aside from the ability to heal. That alone could tip the balance, he thought.

But still, Heike might put her on the backfoot.

Or on her ass.

As disciplined as Dal was, he stayed with the hypothetical match up for a time, for it amused him and did much to distract him from the words that Helena had delivered. He had formed his own conclusions and decisions. And he would live and die by his new comrades, for the old ones were divided. He would serve.

But he didn't have to enjoy his superior's company. But he knew he must abide their decisions.

He began to walk back to the monastery proper, to his duties, to his learning, to his new found comrades, and to the challenges that awaited him. He tidied his mind of the hypothetical show down and kept it to himself. It wouldn't do to be entertaining such thoughts. Still, he found some solace in it for now as he returned to his duties, both to himself and his new found order.

The mercenary Dal had been found wanting in his fight against the knight slayers, rescued from his mortal wounds and sworn into service to those who had saved him, now Squire, now in service to the Knights of Anathaeum. He would find in time new friendships, new challenges, and new aspects of the meaning of what it is to be knightly, understanding of the arcane, and appreciation of his new comrades's dispositions and attitudes. But there would be hardship, self inflicted and endured, all to better himself to belong to such an order as something more than his recent position.

But time would tell if he would live up the ideals of knighthood that this order represented, both in the eyes of his superiors that would judge him, and his own estimation. Dal had survived because of the Knights of Anathaeum intervention. Would he in turn become more than just a mercenary in attitude, and more than the lowest rank of this organisation in capacity?

Time would tell.

• Dwarf
Reactions: Helena