Private Tales Wishing for Something More

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Terrell

Character Biography
Link
With each crushing blow he poured his pain. Beneath the weight of his hammer, the strength which he put behind it, there was no choice but to give way. He wished that he could lose himself in his fury, that he could let it grow with each strike - but he could not. Not really. If he did, the shape of the metal he worked would be lost, the form that he sought would be undone and he'd have to start anew - such was something his master would not so lightly allow. So as he worked and the shape he sought became more apparent, he changed from a more forceful approach to one with more care, carefully ensuring the quality of his work. It was one of the reasons, if not the reason that he was still here when so many others had been sold off - or worse.

He was good.

Because of this, his master, who he knew only as The Blacksmith even after six long years, treated him somewhat better than his previous masters. He was given regular meals, and he was even given his own, humble dwelling behind the forge, little more than a lean-to. He was also afforded the freedom to move around on his own. However, he was bound at the neck by a clasp, chained to a great anchor. Grasping the chain and pulling the weight would save him any strain on his neck, and he was strong enough to pull it, but it prevented him from moving very quickly. But as far as The Blacksmith was concerned, Terrell was never anything more than his property, and he had been thoroughly treated as such. His sides were still bruised from the last beating he'd been given for "poor behaviour."

He wished so badly he could put The Blacksmith's head beneath his hammer instead of this metal which he shaped so diligently. So diligently, and yet this supposed blacksmith who barely lifted a finger in recent years and claimed all of the effort as his own, sold everything with only his name attached, professing only his own handiwork. But with these chains, bound to these great weights, he'd never get close enough in time. So he had to remain as he was, as he had been for so long, wishing for a time in his memories that were now so distant and vague. He could hardly say he missed his home and family anymore, instead he could only say he missed the memory of them.

Hours passed, and the sun sat low in the sky, and all the while he had worked without rest, carefully crafting a suit of armour requested by some nearby noble or the like. Hell if he knew, really. He was only ever told what to do, not why. But what he did know, as he was so frequently reminded, was that it was taking him forever to complete the entire suit, as there had been quite a bit of intricacy requested, all of which was course Terrell's responsibility as well, all under strict warning that if he screwed it up he would never be sold again.

Terrell knew what that meant.

"Terrell," the Blacksmith finally barked, "how much longer is this damn suit going to take?"

"At least another week sir, it's been-"

"It's been three bloody months! I'd have had it done in half the time. Maybe I should just sell you off, I'll just be damn sure to find the worst buyer I can for you. You're hardly worth my effort. Now I'll be back here at dawn, and you best be back at it before I get here. Now get lost."

Terrell didn't say a word. He put his head down, removed his gloves, and after picking up what few things were "his," he pulled at the weight and started on his way out.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Lileas
The Anford estate was a fucking fortress. She'd been in this place for near a week now and had yet to find a way in. Lord and Lady Anford did not receive guests without invitation, she'd been told, and the guards on all four of the gates made certain of that. Samson, the sleaze who'd been sent to accompany her on her errands and who had thus far failed to keep his hands to himself, had been apprehended after scaling the walls the night before. Of course, word had somehow already reached the guards of precisely when and where the thief would seek to gain entry to the grounds, and she'd been there in the shadows to wave him off with a smile whilst he'd been dragged away ranting and raving about a 'conniving bitch'.

Now, she was on her own had no choice but to get in, retrieve what she'd been sent here to retrieve, and get out of this town before he was inevitably let loose on a rampage. The best hope she had was the upcoming Samhain ball that the Lord and Lady had so kindly insisted was to be masquerade. She had spent the day preparing, but one set of hands worked slower than two and it was late by the time she was shuffling toward the blacksmith's.

"Wait!" Heels clicked delicately on the cobbled streets, and the comely girl in her fine, woollen coat and leather gloves had no business at all being on her own at this hour. The older man seemed harassed by her calling, and by the looks of it he wasn't about to be won over by a pretty face like so many men were.

"Please, I'm sorry but, I require your services.. I-I can pay.." she offered politely with her purse already in hand and held out toward the man who seemed intent on walking away. He stopped though, and she offered a sheepish smile despite the rather unfriendly expression he wore.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Terrell
The Blacksmith eyed her for a moment, and while his expression was one of disinterest, even annoyance, he was still awfully curious. What in the blazes was a young lass like this doing out and about in these parts, at this hour, alone? Asking for trouble is what it was to him, but seeing her purse so readily available he figured she was indeed quite ready to do business. And he, being the kind of man that he was, was in no particular hurry to turn down more coin - especially since he really didn't need to do anything other than accept the money. Terrell did the rest.

Terrell, who had just now managed to make it do the door. He was condemned the parading himself out through the front of the shop and walk around to go to his dwelling, just so all could see. The people in these parts had little sympathy for his kind, and once or twice had even had a few things thrown at him as he went. And it was all because of those damn weights.

Terrell looked up at Lileas with tired eyes, and was stopped from moving forward any more with the Blacksmith standing right in front of him.

Terrell's eyes turned up to the Blacksmith, whose back was turned to him.

Right in front of him...

"An' just what services will ya be needing then," asked the Blacksmith, his expression softening some.

Lileas

"I'm in need of a key.. Precisely like this." she informed matter-of-factly as she fished a piece of folded parchment from the inside of her sleeve, and her delicate, gloved fingers unfolded it to show to the man. "Please, you would be saving my life.. Like I said, I can pay.." she offered with a jingle of the coin purse and a pleading smile as her gaze flicked awkwardly between the blacksmith and his.. employee.

She hadn't failed to notice the sound of the other man's chains nor the drag of the weights attached to them. She glanced quickly downward to confirm her suspicion, but if she was bothered by such things, she did not show it. "Just name your price and throw in an extra penny or two for the lateness of the hour?.."