Private Tales The 36th Chamber of Sung Chei

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"More Mabu stance, Master Chei?" He said, the slightest hint of aggravation in his voice.

“No, Mabu is simply meant to prepare you physically for the training ahead of you. You have done well thus far, and have yet to complain, which shows a great deal of patience I did not expect from someone so young. No,” he repeated, “today you learn how to defend yourself, and remain unharmed in combat, whilst learning the basics of how to hit back, when and where best to do so.”

So he directed him to take the long mabu stance, where one leg was in front of the other at ninety degrees and the other was behind him, foot firmly on the ground. He taught him the four basic blocks as well as the basic kicks and strikes.

“When striking, there are eight main targets, the head, the two shoulders, both arms, both legs and the chest. No matter what it is you are doing or how you are striking, or how your opponent is striking, the actual target will always be one of these eight.”

“So I turn your attention to blocks, to keep yourself from being injured. You are never going to block the actual fist or weapon, and will instead stop the wrist or forearm of your attacker with your own. Let us begin.”

And so, Chei began to instruct him in how to anticipate movement, and how to block. He let his apprentice block blows with controlled force, where it would be enough to hurt but not enough to cause damage, over time he steadily increased the boy’s pain tolerance and physical durability. He did this with his actual body too, using sparring matches to teach him how an unarmed fight against an easterner would usually go, always switching tactics so that he couldn’t rely on patterns, which would also prepare him for non-eastern opponents.

By the time they were working on the more advanced training, the boy would be able to strike a stone pillar without flinching or being injured.

(I was thinking that as some sort of test, Chei and him go on some kind of quest.)

• Yay
Reactions: Ederick Stone
Today you learn how to defend yourself.
Those words were proof to Ed's ears that, finally, the true training would begin.

There were weeks and months of bruises, grazes, cuts, cramps and worse. He thought five minutes of Mabu stance strained his legs once, which - in hindsight - proved just how naive he was, and just how little he knew of the path he now walked.

He walked with fighting intent. His every inhale was to calm his heart-rate, every exhale to prepare for a blow. The endless sparring sessions with Master Chei, where every day seemed to be a new opponent. He fought in his dreams; nights where he'd wake in a panic, his fist flying to strike the wall in front of him, his battered knuckles becoming like leather. But, sure enough, as those gruelling months passed by, Chei's movements seemed to slow down, his attacks and counter-attacks more choreographed.

He'd become 16 without even noticing. The time had flown. But within that span, he'd become a different person- a different man. The sparring sessions became faster, the strikes harder, the movements more fluid, more balanced, more grounded. He knew Chei was simply giving him a peek into his prowess, every blow softened in order to teach Ed's body, but not cause him any real harm. But he knew most men would not be his Master, and that made him more brash. More confident.

Over dinner, that evening.

"Master Chei, don't you think I'm ready to-"
He paused, as he let his chopsticks rest in his rice.

"You know, fight any real opponents?"

• Yay
Reactions: Sung Chei
"Master Chei, don't you think I'm ready to-" He paused, as he let his chopsticks rest in his rice.

"You know, fight any real opponents?"

Ed had gotten much better over the few month so of training. But despite his skill and growing capability, he still had a great deal to learn. And Sung Chei had noticed his growing brashness, which was sadly a common side effect of someone’s learning to fight, and usually it had to be beaten out of them in the form of them having their ass handed to them in a fight. And he hoped that he’d be the one to do it, because when he had been beaten into the ground by a warrior out of his league, they had intended to kill him, whereas he would just teach him humility.

But he had to admit that the boy was getting good. And he was glad that he was able to help him grow.

Then he said those words. “A real opponent? And what do you mean by ‘real opponents’? Do You mean someone who doesn’t pull punches or someone who intends to kill you?”

"Assume this, and hold it until you cannot continue."
“A real opponent? And what do you mean by ‘real opponents’? Do You mean someone who doesn’t pull punches or someone who intends to kill you?”

"It's not that I want someone to try and kill me it's just-" He slowed his words. He didn't mean to offend Master Chei's training. He had to have respect. He had no right to talk out of turn.

"You fought off those thugs for me. I want to stop some thugs of my own." Ed wasn't sure why, but he craved real combat. He wanted to know what it felt like to have someone throw all of their weight behind a punch. He needed to know.

"You fought off those thugs for me. I want to stop some thugs of my own."

“Alright. Tomorrow we’ll go back into town, and we’ll get you some thugs to fight. It should prove a reasonable way to truly test what you have learned.” He says calmly. He wasn’t opposed to this, it was a good way for him to learn, and he’d be able to find out how to fight off a group.

“How many do you think you can handle?”

“Alright. Tomorrow we’ll go back into town, and we’ll get you some thugs to fight. It should prove a reasonable way to truly test what you have learned.”

Yes! Finally!

He felt a rush of excitement hit him with Master Chei's words. He'd at last be able to get a taste for real combat, and hopefully teach some thugs that he wasn't the feeble kid they beat up almost a year before.

“How many do you think you can handle?”

"Well-"

Huh...

He hadn't really given it any thought. How many could he fight? He'd sparred with Master Chei, but that was no more than a single person. How many thugs tried to rob him, he thought...

"Four. I could take four." He said, with restrained confidence.

• Yay
"Four. I could take four." He said, with restrained confidence.

“Four you say, a little ambitious but not arrogant. Though I must tell you, exercise caution.” He says to him, putting his chopsticks down, “Fighting one man and fighting many are not the same thing. Keep your wits about you.”

Sung Chei figured that this would be a good way for him to learn. Thugs may be relatively untrained but they were no strangers to fighting, and they’d know a bit about fighting. They wouldn’t come after him one at a time, they’d attack him all at once which is why groups, especially experienced ones, were so challenging to defeat. He would observe and intervene if it proved necessary, but ultimately it would be his fight.

• Yay
Keep your wits about you.”

I sure will.

"I'll be ready Master Chei."

They ended up finishing their meal, taking their time as they did every evening, Ed's mind still racing with the new found opportunity to prove himself. He hardly slept that night, playing through multitudes of scenarios in his head, thinking of all the possible angles he could be attacked from, and the best counter to those angles. He'd woken up early that morning, getting in some early Mabu stance, along with some basic push-ups and sit-ups.

He'd made his way into the main room where he and Master Chei would share meals. He was particularly spritely.

"Master," He bowed.

"I'm very excited for today." He smiled, sitting down for breakfast.

• Yay
"I'll be ready Master Chei."

“I have no doubt that you will be.”

They ended up finishing their meal, taking their time as they did every evening, Ed's mind still racing with the new found opportunity to prove himself. He hardly slept that night, playing through multitudes of scenarios in his head, thinking of all the possible angles he could be attacked from, and the best counter to those angles. He'd woken up early that morning, getting in some early Mabu stance, along with some basic push-ups and sit-ups.

He'd made his way into the main room where he and Master Chei would share meals. He was particularly spritely.

He was definitely excited, Sung Chei had always woken up long before the dawn for early morning exercises and meditation, this day, his apprentice followed suit, though a little later than he did. And it was this that made him a little concerned, how eager he was to cause harm to someone else, but that was a side effect of training, and had to be taught just like he needed to be taught how to fight. It would be learned in time.

"Master," He bowed.

"I'm very excited for today." He smiled, sitting down for breakfast.

“Excitement is not a bad thing Ed, but be sure to keep it under control, allowing your emotions, any emotions to control you, is never a good idea.” He said calmly as ever. “When we go out there, it will be your fight. I’ll aid you if absolutely necessary, but this isn’t for you to do and you alone. Make sure that you’re ready.”

“Are you ready Ed?” He asked. “Because once this road is trod, there is no going back from it.”

Up until this point, Ed had never really thought about the kind of consequences the path he was walking would reap. He knew it was easy to slip onto the warpath, the way of least resistance, where he could fight who he wanted, go where he wanted, and do what he wanted. But this was not what Chei had been teaching him, and he had to believe, deep down, that he'd be better than that.

"I'm ready Master. I'm ready to walk the path."

He bowed, as he steeled himself for the journey ahead.

(OOC: I'll write a long post about us getting there, and leave some space for some brief dialogue, before doing the fight)

• Cheer
"I'm ready Master. I'm ready to walk the path."

Chei then did something, something he hadn’t done since Ed arrived, he smiled. “I think you are Ed. I think you are.”

And so he motioned for his apprentice to join him as he began to walk the long trek back to the town. It, being a small town with a small militia, had a number of criminals that more or less ran the town. Ed would be given a small gang to handle.

When in town he stood in front of Ed. “Now, if you’re going to make hunting criminals a hobby, it’s best to get good at being aware of what is happening. So observe. Where do you think the best place to find a gang is. And where do you think is the best place to engage them? Keep these things in mind, and remember to plan ahead.”

• Love